Photo

Do Best Quality and Lathe Weapon Buffs Stack?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 BlaxicanX

BlaxicanX

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:49 PM

At first glance this seems like it's already addressed in the rules: 

"A Lathe blade is automatically of the

Best Craftsmanship (the effects of this have already been
included in these rules)."

But the thing is, from the way it's written, it seems to me to assume that you're taking a primite weapon that isn't already best-quality and lathe blading it. What happens if you take a primitive weapon that's already of best quality, THEN add the lathe-blade quality to it?

I'm assuming that the +10 to your WS bonus doesn't stack with the best quality bonus, because for the lathe blade upgrade, it is the conversion to best quality that bestows that WS bonus. However, what about the damage? If I take a sword that does 1d10+2, make it best quality which adds 1 damage to make it 1d10+3, then add the lathe blade upgrade, does the sword become 1d10+4 pen 3? Or does it remain 1d10+3 and just get the pen 3?

#2 borithan

borithan

• Members
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:07 AM

BlaxicanX said:

At first glance this seems like it's already addressed in the rules: 

"A Lathe blade is automatically of the

Best Craftsmanship (the effects of this have already been
included in these rules)."

But the thing is, from the way it's written, it seems to me to assume that you're taking a primite weapon that isn't already best-quality and lathe blading it. What happens if you take a primitive weapon that's already of best quality, THEN add the lathe-blade quality to it?

I'm assuming that the +10 to your WS bonus doesn't stack with the best quality bonus, because for the lathe blade upgrade, it is the conversion to best quality that bestows that WS bonus. However, what about the damage? If I take a sword that does 1d10+2, make it best quality which adds 1 damage to make it 1d10+3, then add the lathe blade upgrade, does the sword become 1d10+4 pen 3? Or does it remain 1d10+3 and just get the pen 3?

You cannot "Lathe Blade" something that is already constructed. It isn't really an upgrade as such, more a way of making a weapon. If you already have a Best Quality Sword you cannot then turn it into a Lathe Blade. You only option is to buy a Lathe Blade from scratch.

Now, I am not sure this is stated anywhere in the rules, but they are meant to be very special weapons that require the strange gravity of the Lathe Worlds to be constructed, so it wouldn't really be possible to add it on to an existing weapon. The very nature of the blade is meant to be very very different… not a little attachment that you can slip onto it.

#3 Darth Smeg

Darth Smeg

Lord Nitpicker

• Members
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:11 AM

The two cannot be combined.

Tarald - The Dark Lord of Smeg

My House Rules for using Only War (and more) for Dark Heresy games

#4 BlaxicanX

BlaxicanX

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:48 AM

I see. Alright, thanks for the info fellas.

#5 Phi6891

Phi6891

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:23 AM

Could you have a Lathe Blade Force Sword, does that make any sense?

#6 Darth Smeg

Darth Smeg

Lord Nitpicker

• Members
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:57 PM

I'd say so, and my Templar Calix is dreaming of one :)
(He also wants it to be a "switchblade" sword like the one Lt. Sulu uses in the 2008 Star Trek movie. YouTube link, see ca 30sec into the clip)

However, they'd be Extremely Rare, so most likely the character would need to plan a proper pilgrimage to the Lathe Worlds, and bring some proper gifts and/or letters of reccomendation with him in order to be granted access to the forges. 

Tarald - The Dark Lord of Smeg

My House Rules for using Only War (and more) for Dark Heresy games

#7 Cymbel

Cymbel

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:57 AM

Here is how friends of mine and others I know decided to run with it. You can take any normal weapon to be lathe bladed like before, JUST if it was BQ or Mono, those qualities are lost, as the weapon is melted down and re-forged in the Lathe Field. This could also be a great thematic thing for a higher level campaign. Another thing is allowing existing weapons to be upgraded in quality, though the ease depends on the weapon (GQ Stub Pistol is a lot easier than getting a GQ Sword)

#8 Phi6891

Phi6891

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:06 PM

@Darth Smeg: I know right LoL. Well depending on how you forge a force sword in the first place, I would imagin that you could take any good quality weapon and then do your ingraving and infusing of warp energy into the weapon. But seeing as I don't know the whole of how to make a force weapon from scrach you can just as well say that it as a weapon is being created, that is the same time as you are infusing the weapon with warp energy. So if that is the case then to find someone to be able to forage a melee weapon on the Lathe worlds as well as to infuse it with warp energy  would not only be the rarest of the rare but practically unheard of as well possibly.

#9 Boss Gitsmasha

Boss Gitsmasha

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:49 PM

Or you could just get a power sword instead. Y'know, those things that do more damage than Lathe weapons?

"Oomans are pink an' soft, not tough an' green like da Boyz. Dey'z all da same size too, so dey'z always arguin' about who's in charge, 'cos dere's no way o' tellin' c'ept fer badges an' ooniforms an' fings. When one o' dem wants ta lord it over da uvvers, 'e says 'I'm very speshul so'z you gotta worship me', or 'I know summink wot you lot don't know, so yer better lissen good'. Da funny fing is, 'arf of 'em believe it an' da uvver 'arf don't, so 'e has ta hit 'em all anyway or run fer it. Wot a lot o' mukkin' about if yer asks me. An' while dey'z all arguin' wiv each uvver over who's da boss, da Orks can clobber da lot."

#10 Cymbel

Cymbel

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:04 PM

Which make noise, can run out of power, break when unpowered, etc.

We all know Power Weapons are pretty much the top tier, but Lathe weapons are a great alternative

#11 Phi6891

Phi6891

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:12 AM

No actually a Force weapon is top tier, and esaily beats a power weapon.

#12 Cymbel

Cymbel

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:51 AM

I thought I didn't have to include the Caveat that IF you are a psyker and IF you have made a focus on melee (talents/WS) then yes, the Force sword is the best in a lot of ways, but power swords are still pretty much the top tier for everyone, because of their nature.

#13 Phi6891

Phi6891

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:13 AM

@Cymbel: I know power swords are top tier, I'm just being a dork because I play a psyker, that's all.

But you also have to take into account that if you have one attack it doesn't matter what weapon you have, if that one attack gets dodged or parried (it only matters if a power weapon parries a power weapon) you're S.O.L. because your chances of scoring damage each turn is greatly reduced. This is besides the point of this post though.

#14 Morangias

Morangias

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:28 AM

@Cymbel: I know power swords are top tier, I'm just being a dork because I play a psyker, that's all.

But you also have to take into account that if you have one attack it doesn't matter what weapon you have, if that one attack gets dodged or parried (it only matters if a power weapon parries a power weapon) you're S.O.L. because your chances of scoring damage each turn is greatly reduced. This is besides the point of this post though.

Arguably, it's exactly when the quality of your weapon counts the most, because if you're going to be dodged a lot, you want those times you aren't dodged hurt a huge lot to make up for it.

There is no truth in flesh, only betrayal.

There is no strenght in flesh, only weakness.
There is no constancy in flesh, only decay.
There is no certainty in flesh but death.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS