Photo

When do you guys think the new Against the Shadow Cycle will finally see the light ?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 822 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:05 PM

I guess I'll repeat again what I *think* the problem is and why *think* the schedule has slipped.   When Heirs of Numenor was released there was a general outcry over its difficulty and a warning from a lot of veteran players to noobs to stay away from this box until the players had more experience.  It's a box for Boromirs and not Bilbos.  Yes there were players who loved the increased difficulty, but the word "brutal" was repeated often.

In a given adventure about 1/2 to 2/3rds of the encounter cards come from the boxed set that preceeded it.  But now there is no way to downgrade the difficulty of the cards from the boxed set which means the adventure packs were probably going to be pretty hard too.  So I think FFG went scrambling back to the drawing board to figure out a way to downgrade the difficulty of the adventure packs given that most of the encounter cards have already been printed.   If true, this is a tall order.

This is all speculation on my part, but it fits the facts as we know them.  Furthermore, if true, it would show a commitment to the game by FFG which I would applaud.

(I also applaud the release of the Nightmare packs to ramp of the difficulty as we get better and the card pool deepens.)

Nearly all of my comments are from the perspective of the single handed solo player.

#22 Raven1015

Raven1015

• Members
  • 442 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:20 PM

To be honest, without knowing the inside information (like sales figures) I would need to really chime in here, I don't really feel comfortable saying whether or not FFG as a whole likes this game or whether or not it sells well. Anecdotal evidence and assumptions aren't really good enough to make conclusions either way. I was curious about the whole question of how often FFG releases articles about LOTR compared to the other LCG's and whether that shows anything about support for the game.

Here's what I found looking back just the past 3-4 months (number of articles):

Star Wars: 18

Netrunner: 17

Game of Thrones: 15

Warhammer Invasion: 15

Lord of the Rings: 13

Call of Cthulhu: 8

Here's what I found looking back about 9-10 months (number of articles):

Warhammer Invasion: 45

Netrunner: 40

Game of Thrones: 39

Lord of the Rings: 34

Star Wars: 25 (keep in mind this wasn't released until recently)

Call of Cthulhu: 24

From these numbers, Lord of the Rings is pretty close to the other LCG's, and there isn't a significant difference. If you keep in mind that the other LCG's get tournament news and recaps posted for them that LOTR obviously doesn't, and if you took those articles out of the statistis I compiled here, then LOTR would be neck and neck with the other games. 

Check out my LOTR LCG blog: talesfromthecards.wordpress.com

Listen to The Grey Company podcast: greycompanypodcast.wordpress.com

#23 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 774 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:24 PM

Bullroarer Took said:

I guess I'll repeat again what I *think* the problem is and why *think* the schedule has slipped.   When Heirs of Numenor was released there was a general outcry over its difficulty and a warning from a lot of veteran players to noobs to stay away from this box until the players had more experience.  It's a box for Boromirs and not Bilbos.  Yes there were players who loved the increased difficulty, but the word "brutal" was repeated often.

In a given adventure about 1/2 to 2/3rds of the encounter cards come from the boxed set that preceeded it.  But now there is no way to downgrade the difficulty of the cards from the boxed set which means the adventure packs were probably going to be pretty hard too.  So I think FFG went scrambling back to the drawing board to figure out a way to downgrade the difficulty of the adventure packs given that most of the encounter cards have already been printed.   If true, this is a tall order.

This is all speculation on my part, but it fits the facts as we know them.  Furthermore, if true, it would show a commitment to the game by FFG which I would applaud.

(I also applaud the release of the Nightmare packs to ramp of the difficulty as we get better and the card pool deepens.)

Despite everything I've said, I hope you're right.

"A straight road lay westward, now it is bent."

#24 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 822 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:25 PM

One other little thing.  I live and work close to my FLGS and I'm often there within 30 minutes of being called and told the latest expansion is in.  For the core set and the Mirkwood cycle I was the only person with a reserve.  For Hobbit 2 there were at least six people with reserves.  It's is a pretty small shop in a fairly populated area.  Just for what it's worth.

Nearly all of my comments are from the perspective of the single handed solo player.

#25 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:00 PM

There's a lot to respond to, I think, and I probably won't respond to everything that was said regarding my post.

First and foremost, I apologize for the tone of my post. I could tell you I hit "quote" on the wrong post (I did - I truly meant to be directly responding to someone else) but that still doesn't change the tone/tenor of my piece of writing.

I could present rationale after rationale as to why I wrote my reponse the way I did (long day, stress, late at night) but it changes nothing, in my humble opinion, at the end of the day. I came across as an asswipe, plain and simple. For that, again, I apologize.

I was trying to make a larger point about the types of conversations had about this game on BGG vs. FFG Forums vs. the various blogs about this game vs. COTR Facebook and the commenters at all of these various venues. There is no doubt in my mind that the disucssion here is consistently more critical, more negative, and less plesant than any other webpage devoted to this game.

But, in trying to make that point, I did exactly what I dislike reading. I came across as an arrogant prick.

I have plenty of annoyances with this game, to be sure. The delays don't annoy me like they do others, but certainly the unanswered/unclear rules questions do. As does the "loose" language on the cards. Amongst other things.

At the same time, I appreciate the direction Caleb Grace has taken this game. I appreciate that I get a response from FFG (read: Caleb) within less than 24 hours every. single. time. I submit a rules question (barring weekends, of course). He's pleasant. He's professional. He seems like a damn nice guy. I appreciate that. And I've taken the time to let him know that I, and my entire play group, appreciate the work he and FFG are doing for the game.

I appreciate that FFG lets us know they read the forums and try to respond, through their new series of articles, to the fanbase.

Maybe I took some of these posts too "personally." Ever since I saw that Caleb reads the various message boards and group pages devoted to this game, I started to think "How would I feel if I was this game's designer and saw people constantly ragging on the designers, saying they don't care, they don't playtest, and they are just screwing with us, etc?"

Looking back, it's somewhat silly of me to take these things personally. I didn't need to react with the tone I did. It was inappropriate and, ultimately, not helpful.

Look, I love this game. I love the community. I love the friends I've made - friends I'd never have made without this game - from across the globe. This co-op games brings people together. I feel so cheesey writing it. But in my case, it's been true.

I love introducing this game to new people at my FLGS. Everyone who plays it likes it. And they come back. In my area we've developed a weekly "LCG" group, playing all of FFG's games - and LOTR is always a staple. Sure, SW and Netrunner are hot. But everyone who talks about LOTR talks about how they just want to play a fun adventure with their buddies, trek across Middle Earth, and have a good time; it isn't always about bashing your opponent.

To me, what's so special about this game is that it's about playing with your buds. Having a good time. And being positive.

I'm disappointed that, in my previous post, I wasn't embodying the spirit of this game that I love so much.

#26 Narsil0420

Narsil0420

• Members
  • 614 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:29 AM

Dain Ironfoot said:

To me, what's so special about this game is that it's about playing with your buds. Having a good time. And being positive.

I'm disappointed that, in my previous post, I wasn't embodying the spirit of this game that I love so much.

Well said man, I applaud your humility.

I thought your first post needed to be said though.

#27 Style75

Style75

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:23 PM

Regardless of what any of us think on this forum, the only concrete evidence we have regarding the future of this game is what FFG has said in public. At gen con the top brass of both FFG and the design team for LotR:LCG both said the game was one of their top sellers. At the end of the day, that's the only thing that matters to the future of the game. If it makes money, the company will keep it going. If it's not making money it will be cut. We have no reason to doubt that FFG was honest in its public statements.

And now for some speculation. The story for the upcoming AP cycle was written by the owner/CEO of FFG. That single fact makes me think this game will be around for a while yet.

Yes, the next AP cycle appears to be late. That kind of stuff is going to happen when you're dealing with a complex game that has to be designed, playtested, printed in China, shipped to North America and distributed to stores. Missed deadlines are disappointing but a common part of the tabletop gaming industry. I'm not the least bit worried about the future of this game. I'm sure we'll be playing this game for many years to come.

#28 The Spaniard

The Spaniard

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:29 AM

Gizlivadi said:

I agree with you Devastazione, and to be completely honest, I think that FFG just doesn't really care about this game, and that it's one of their lowest priorities. .

Completely false. Couldn't be further from the truth. 

Just have patience, things take time.

cP
FFG

Christian T. Petersen

Fantasy Flight Games

#29 Narsil0420

Narsil0420

• Members
  • 614 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:32 PM

The Spaniard said:

Gizlivadi said:

I agree with you Devastazione, and to be completely honest, I think that FFG just doesn't really care about this game, and that it's one of their lowest priorities. .

Completely false. Couldn't be further from the truth. 

Just have patience, things take time.

cP
FFG

Thanks Christian, and on behalf of all the patient LOTR:LCG players out there, sorry for all this complaining, it's really unneccesary.
You guys are doing a great job.

I also wanted to update everyone that The Steward's Fear is now "On the Boat," looking good for early May.

#30 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,813 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:43 PM

yeah, as a long time player of this game i have faith in ffg guys. thats not to say i havnt done my fair share of complaining, but thats only because you lot do such a great job its so hard to wait!!!! :P

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#31 DurinIII

DurinIII

• Members
  • 555 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:48 PM

Hey Glaurung, I see no need for you to bring me into this discussion, calling me a kid and all, when I didn't even post on this thread. What's your problem man? Calling me a kid? Seems a bit immature, but then again, a lot of your posts have been historically immature. I remember when you first started talking on this board. All of your comments are complaints about the game not being hard enough in whatever capacity, and they still are to a large extent. Everyone on this board, no matter how much of a suck-up to FF is a complainer in their own right. Happy Gaming!

#32 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,813 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:57 PM

DurinIII said:

Hey Glaurung, I see no need for you to bring me into this discussion, calling me a kid and all, when I didn't even post on this thread. What's your problem man? Calling me a kid? Seems a bit immature, but then again, a lot of your posts have been historically immature. I remember when you first started talking on this board. All of your comments are complaints about the game not being hard enough in whatever capacity, and they still are to a large extent. Everyone on this board, no matter how much of a suck-up to FF is a complainer in their own right. Happy Gaming!

hey joseph….hows things?

not that i want to get into what seems like one hell of a forum argument (pleased i missed this one…) i think glaurung was getting his 'dains' and 'durins' mixed up

now im going to post something stupid to lighten the mood cangrejo

rich

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#33 Rapier

Rapier

• Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:01 PM

richsabre said:

now im going to post something stupid to lighten the mood cangrejo

rich

I support this statement.

More crab enemies please.

#34 Titan

Titan

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:19 PM

I've seen one website that has April 30, while Amazon has May 8. While neither site may be completely accurate, it seems that is the time frame we are looking at. 

#35 OnkelZorni

OnkelZorni

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:15 AM

richsabre said:

cangrejo

CRABS!!!!! CRABS for everyone!!!

#36 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:32 AM

Dain Ironfoot said:

There's a lot to respond to, I think, and I probably won't respond to everything that was said regarding my post.

First and foremost, I apologize for the tone of my post. I could tell you I hit "quote" on the wrong post (I did - I truly meant to be directly responding to someone else) but that still doesn't change the tone/tenor of my piece of writing.

I could present rationale after rationale as to why I wrote my reponse the way I did (long day, stress, late at night) but it changes nothing, in my humble opinion, at the end of the day. I came across as an asswipe, plain and simple. For that, again, I apologize.

I was trying to make a larger point about the types of conversations had about this game on BGG vs. FFG Forums vs. the various blogs about this game vs. COTR Facebook and the commenters at all of these various venues. There is no doubt in my mind that the disucssion here is consistently more critical, more negative, and less plesant than any other webpage devoted to this game.

But, in trying to make that point, I did exactly what I dislike reading. I came across as an arrogant prick.

I have plenty of annoyances with this game, to be sure. The delays don't annoy me like they do others, but certainly the unanswered/unclear rules questions do. As does the "loose" language on the cards. Amongst other things.

At the same time, I appreciate the direction Caleb Grace has taken this game. I appreciate that I get a response from FFG (read: Caleb) within less than 24 hours every. single. time. I submit a rules question (barring weekends, of course). He's pleasant. He's professional. He seems like a damn nice guy. I appreciate that. And I've taken the time to let him know that I, and my entire play group, appreciate the work he and FFG are doing for the game.

I appreciate that FFG lets us know they read the forums and try to respond, through their new series of articles, to the fanbase.

Maybe I took some of these posts too "personally." Ever since I saw that Caleb reads the various message boards and group pages devoted to this game, I started to think "How would I feel if I was this game's designer and saw people constantly ragging on the designers, saying they don't care, they don't playtest, and they are just screwing with us, etc?"

Looking back, it's somewhat silly of me to take these things personally. I didn't need to react with the tone I did. It was inappropriate and, ultimately, not helpful.

Look, I love this game. I love the community. I love the friends I've made - friends I'd never have made without this game - from across the globe. This co-op games brings people together. I feel so cheesey writing it. But in my case, it's been true.

I love introducing this game to new people at my FLGS. Everyone who plays it likes it. And they come back. In my area we've developed a weekly "LCG" group, playing all of FFG's games - and LOTR is always a staple. Sure, SW and Netrunner are hot. But everyone who talks about LOTR talks about how they just want to play a fun adventure with their buddies, trek across Middle Earth, and have a good time; it isn't always about bashing your opponent.

No need to apologize, you're cool, man! Everyone has an opinion and is free to post it, and I don't think you offended anyone here. I think most of us agree that the game qualitiy did increase during the last cycle. Right now there seems to be a problem to get the right balance between game testing and publishing in short periodes. I don't mind waiting longer myself, if that improves the qualatiy and the balancing.

I don't agree that the forums are dead because "everyone" is complaining, but because of the lack of source material we get. There will be a lot more discussion once the new adventure packs are for sale and everyone is able to actually play the new heroes and cards.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS