A-Wing builds

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 GoldCrow18

GoldCrow18

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:37 PM

Since wave 2 came out I have been able to build several Imperial Teams focused around Tie interceptors, arguably the most versatile and dangerous ship in the game. Soontir Fel and Turr, with the right enhancements and when used properly are extremely dangerous and very hard to damage, bordering on the unstoppable… That said, I know that the A-Wing has similar benefits but I find them extremely lacking in firepower and named pilots. There is nothing that fits an A-Wing as perfectly as say Soontir and PtL or evasiveness …. I have tried but can't seem to make the As work all that well… Anyone had any success running A-Wings? Anyone with good A-Wing builds? Good combos with current A-Wing pilots? I love the ship and rebels but have been playing a lot of imperial builds cuz, at this point, the combos w interceptors are just filthy.

Thanks! 

GoldCrow18

#2 Picasso

Picasso

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:11 PM

I use A-wings as rouges in D&D.  The have one hard hit then fade back.  I give them a ptl and a missile and they are a poor man's Vader.  A prototype with a homing missile will draw more opening fire than Wedge most of the time.  It is all in how you want to fly.

#3 executor

executor

• Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:47 PM

Picasso said:

I use A-wings as rouges in D&D.  The have one hard hit then fade back.  I give them a ptl and a missile and they are a poor man's Vader.  A prototype with a homing missile will draw more opening fire than Wedge most of the time.  It is all in how you want to fly.

Amen to that! Everybody knows how potent those homing missles are.. and if you don't know, then you've never been hit by one before.

definitely the best way to spend 5 points in this game.. hands down

Current Fleet

Rebellion: 5 X-wings, 4 Y-wings, 5 A-wings, 3 B-wings, 1 HWK-290, 2 YT-1300's, 2 E-wings, 1 Z-95, 1 Rebel Transport, 1 CR-90

Empire: 8 Tie Fighters, 2 Tie Advanced, 9 Tie Interceptors, 3 Tie Bombers, 1 Lambda Shuttle, 3 Firespray 31's, 2 Tie Phantoms, 2 Tie Defenders

#4 John Edwards

John Edwards

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:56 PM

I'd say Gunners are the best way to spend five points in the game, with Homing Missiles being a competitive second.

#5 GhostHawk

GhostHawk

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:51 AM

Thinking this may be good

Total Squad Points: 99

Tycho Celchu
Push The Limit (3)

Assault Missiles (5)

Stealth (3)

Green Squadron Pilot x2
Expose (4)

Assault Missiles (5)

Stealth (3)

Use Tycho to get first missile off quick and then use extra actions constantly for maneuvers or Focus and target to get guaranteed hits. Then use green squad a little slower to get their missiles off and after try to maneuver out of a multiple shots on them and drop agility to use expose if stealth device is still on still rolling 3 green. List requires good piloting and luck to work though.

#6 Picasso

Picasso

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:06 AM

I run a similar list. I swap exposé for ptl. And the assault missile for a homing missile. 

#7 Endgame124

Endgame124

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:49 AM

Now that I've picked up my 4th A-Wing, I'm looking at a list like this:

Tycho w/ Push the Limits and Concussion Missile
Green Squadron w/ Vet Instincts and Homing Missile
Prototype

It has a solid first round volley and has enough ships to be playing with a potential numbers advantage after the missiles are spent.

#8 Picasso

Picasso

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:39 AM

@Edwards

i must argue against gunner as the best five points in the game.  It is only (right now) applied to two ships.  The Homing missile can be applied to four ships. Also by itself the homing missile is a better attack than any ship's primary attack. 

#9 John Edwards

John Edwards

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:33 PM

I agree, 'Homing Missiles' is one of the strongest cards in the game.  When I said Gunner is the best way to spend five points I wasn't focused on comparing a single attack vs a single attack.  I was thinking more about which five points spent would have the greatest impact when assembling a list.  From my point of view, Gunner changes the strength and dynamics of a list moreso than another other five points in the game.  With that being said, Picasso, when comparing upgrade cards I think you'll find that many of the strengths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

#10 Silver Crane

Silver Crane

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:25 PM

Endgame124 said:

Now that I've picked up my 4th A-Wing, I'm looking at a list like this:

Tycho w/ Push the Limits and Concussion Missile
Prototype

It has a solid first round volley and has enough ships to be playing with a potential numbers advantage after the missiles are spent.

I agree,  this is a very similar build to what I run.  The only difference is that I run only one Vet insticts to upgrade to an Assault Missle for Tycho.   I have been toying with the idea of dropping the two Green Squads to Prototypes and down to Concussions for Tycho to fit Arvel Crynad in  for bump and run shenanigans….

#11 paradox23

paradox23

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:14 PM

I've been toying with:

3x prototype pilot

rebel pilot

luke skywalker

#12 Bazinga

Bazinga

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:31 AM

If your an A wing homing missiles or assult missles dont leave home with out them.

#13 ForceM

ForceM

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:47 AM

John Edwards said:

I'd say Gunners are the best way to spend five points in the game, with Homing Missiles being a competitive second.

Amen on that! But the Missiles are not bad, gotta say that!

#14 Picasso

Picasso

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:23 AM

@Edwards,

dont get me wrong. I have gunner over homing missile in my build right now. I'm arguing for the missile because I think the point trade off is better. A homing missile can more often then not one shot a ship, tie whatever, a-wing, x-wing.  So I look at the point swing.  You could in theory field four homing missiles. The most gunners you could field are two and they can currently only go on two ships.  The missile can go on four different ships. I think it's more versatile 

that being said I'm also making this argument with gunner, I've played entire games where I don't use it. I know I'm going to use that missile. I know even if I shoot down a 12 point tie I've more than doubled the missiles points. 

Gunner is an amazing card as well but it is number two in list of best upgrades. Ptl might even be better than the missile. Huh?  This sounds like a new thread. "List in order your top ten upgrades and why."

#15 Magnus3740

Magnus3740

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:31 AM

Never take exposé on a general a-wing.  It is an action, so your choice is between expose and focus.  With two normal shots you can expect 1.5 hits with focus (2 * 0.75) or 1.5 hits with expose (3 * 0.5).  With range one of 3 dice you expect 2.25 with focus or 2.00 with expose.  Exposé is only good when combined with a focus or target lock.  Therefore, you need push the limit, Garven, Lando or Dutch to make it useful.  Expose is 4 * 0.75 = 3.00 or target lock and focus is 3 * 0.9375 = 2.8125.

So take expose on Vader.

#16 ForceM

ForceM

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 04:40 AM

Magnus3740 said:

Never take exposé on a general a-wing.  It is an action, so your choice is between expose and focus.  With two normal shots you can expect 1.5 hits with focus (2 * 0.75) or 1.5 hits with expose (3 * 0.5).  With range one of 3 dice you expect 2.25 with focus or 2.00 with expose.  Exposé is only good when combined with a focus or target lock.  Therefore, you need push the limit, Garven, Lando or Dutch to make it useful.  Expose is 4 * 0.75 = 3.00 or target lock and focus is 3 * 0.9375 = 2.8125.

So take expose on Vader.

Or take an X-Wing or Interceptor where you have firepower anyway. Whereas on an A-Wing with expose and push the limit you can't really use its superior manoeuvrability if you use all the actions to get more firepower.

#17 ForceM

ForceM

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:26 AM

By the way my list would be:

Tycho Celchu 26

- Push the Limit 3

- Homing Missile 5

X3 Prototype Pilot 17

- Homing Missile 5

You can of course swap out for assault missiles, or concussion missiles on the Prototypes plus a stealth device on Tycho

i like the 3 - Ship builds as you can fully kit them out but this gives me a fourth missile for a full barrage. This should serve to even out the odds, then the A-Wings can try to mop up the rest of the enemy team or evade and harass them with their puny little lasers XD

#18 Magnus3740

Magnus3740

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:04 AM

ForceM said:

Magnus3740 said:

So take expose on Vader.

Or take an X-Wing or Interceptor where you have firepower anyway. Whereas on an A-Wing with expose and push the limit you can't really use its superior manoeuvrability if you use all the actions to get more firepower.

Nope, even at range 1 expose is 4 * 0.5 = 2 expected hits and focus is 3 * 0.75 = 2.25 expected hits.  Push the limit and expose are both pilot skills, so you can't have both.  You'd need squadron leader on another ship or one of the ships I listed above to make it useful.  Personally, I'd rather have any of the modifications rather than expose for 4 points.

#19 executor

executor

• Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:16 AM

Magnus3740 said:

ForceM said:

Magnus3740 said:

So take expose on Vader.

Nope, even at range 1 expose is 4 * 0.5 = 2 expected hits and focus is 3 * 0.75 = 2.25 expected hits.  Push the limit and expose are both pilot skills, so you can't have both.  You'd need squadron leader on another ship or one of the ships I listed above to make it useful.  Personally, I'd rather have any of the modifications rather than expose for 4 points.

depends on what he's running, if he's running Dutch to pass the target locks around then expose is a very worthwhile card for those finishing blows where 2 dice will just not be enough to guarantee a hit for that last hit point or two.. or in the case of an X-wing.. 5 dice at range 1 with a target lock? at that point you have a good shot at even 1 shotting an X-wing..

Current Fleet

Rebellion: 5 X-wings, 4 Y-wings, 5 A-wings, 3 B-wings, 1 HWK-290, 2 YT-1300's, 2 E-wings, 1 Z-95, 1 Rebel Transport, 1 CR-90

Empire: 8 Tie Fighters, 2 Tie Advanced, 9 Tie Interceptors, 3 Tie Bombers, 1 Lambda Shuttle, 3 Firespray 31's, 2 Tie Phantoms, 2 Tie Defenders

#20 phocion

phocion

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:24 PM

I just ran this list tonight and it works really well:

Wedge: (PTL, Engine Upgrade, R2 Astro, Torps)

Green Squadron: (PTL, Concussion Missiles, Stealth Device)

Green Squadron: (PTL, Concussion Missiles, Stealth Device)

Total = 99 Pts (I can upgrade 1 of the Concussions to Homing for the last point.)

Took it against an Imp squad consisting of Vader with Expose and Concussions, The Turrfinator with swarm tactics and 2x Alpha Squadron interceptors.

This flies like 3x A Wings but hits a lot harder and Wedge with PTL and Boost can really get into position to make TL and Focus actions count.  The R2 allows him to dump stress better than an A Wing too.  The missiles/torps allow you to get 1 good pass in and then it becomes a game of manoeuver for The Wedginator to make the killing blows.  I dont expect the A Wings to come out unscathed, but they can set up as the hammer to the anvil; with PTL they have both TL and Focus when I need them to.  If they need to go evasive, PTL for Focus and Evade and the Stealth Device usually does the trick.

Overall its a fun list that rewards aggressive play and can quite happily mix it up with elite Imperial builds.  I havent tried it against a wave 1 style TIE swarm yet.

I also ran a variant which swaps Wedge out for Horton in a Y with Ion turret, 2 torps and R5-D8 to keep him alive - my Y's usually attract a lot of fire from my friend.  That doesnt hit as hard but is an interesting variation if you can mantain a bit of distance.  My friend took the same Imp list as above against it but swapped Expose for Engine Upgrade (Vader using boost and barrel roll in one move is just slippery evil), so I had a ***** of a job trying to make Vader stick in one place to get those torps out of the tubes.  Eventually managed to take Vader down with torps after ioning him for a couple of turns so I could manouever in with Horton, but spent too long angling for a shot and ended up getting splashed by some very good dice from the interceptors straight after.  Next time I might swap one set of torps for an engine upgrade on Horton.  I like the idea of a turbo-charged Y….

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS