Photo

FFG could you please produce card packs/boosters???

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 Grimwalker

Grimwalker

• Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:55 AM

rowdyoctopus said:

Grimwalker said:

they'll never print a card pack of existing cards, sorry. It would be unprofitable, plain and simple.

I'm trying to think how it would be unprofitable when it is desireable to have lots of upgrade cards but one might not need/want the ship needed to get that card.  Are you trying to say they will make more money by linking the cards to ships, and thus forcing people to buy multiples of ships they otherwise would not?  That could be true, but I also think there are probably people out there that see no need in having multiple YT-1300s or Firesprays but would buy a pack of cards that included the upgrades/modifications that come with them.

They already make a separate dice pack.  I see no reason why we wouldn't, down the line (after another wave or two), see packs of upgrades and modifications.  It really depends on what direction they go though.  As people are quick to point out, we are quickly running out of ships that A) appeared in the original trilogy, and B) fit the scale of the game.

in so many words, you're saying you want to buy the bare minimum of product necessary to build your dream squadron. If you want multiple copies of Stealth device or Engine Upgrade, then I disagree: you do see a need in having multiple YT-1300s or Firesprays.

It's not in a company's profit interest to enable people to buy the bare minimum of their product. They put out expansions that have ships and cards; if you want a certain card, it's in certain packs. You know what to buy. It's a strange definition of "forcing people" to put out a product for people to buy and hope that they actually buy the product. 

I don't consider it to be "forcing me" to buy all the Baratheon and Lannister and Martell cards I'll *never* use for the Game of Thrones LCG. I'm not demanding that they split up their chapter packs into mini packs containing just the factions I care to play.

#22 Daeglan

Daeglan

• Members
  • 974 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:49 AM

No. We would like additional options for the models we have. I would like more pilots for my x-wings. I plan on having 12. I would like more than 4 names pilots to choose from. I don't see how wanting this is cheating FF out of anything. Having some ship upgrade options in those packs does not see wrong to me.

#23 Daeglan

Daeglan

• Members
  • 974 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:52 AM

If I don't have 30 bucks but I have 10 bucks you should have a way to get that ten bucks.

#24 nimdabew

nimdabew

• Members
  • 637 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:53 AM

This essentially. Tere is nothing wrong with having a booster for x-wings with a random assortment of pilots that costs $4 just for that one ship. I get bored running the normal named pilots that I just make my own special abilities up and play them. Having 30-40 different named pilots to choose from for each ship would be awesome! The only way to get something like that is to have a random booster set that has all the stuff for outfitting an X-Wing (that has already been purchased), and all you are buying is a random X-Wing pilot. Do this for each ship and you can have some crazy different combinations that would add some depth to the game and some very interesting conbinations.

#25 rowdyoctopus

rowdyoctopus

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:10 PM

Grimwalker said:

rowdyoctopus said:

Grimwalker said:

they'll never print a card pack of existing cards, sorry. It would be unprofitable, plain and simple.

I'm trying to think how it would be unprofitable when it is desireable to have lots of upgrade cards but one might not need/want the ship needed to get that card.  Are you trying to say they will make more money by linking the cards to ships, and thus forcing people to buy multiples of ships they otherwise would not?  That could be true, but I also think there are probably people out there that see no need in having multiple YT-1300s or Firesprays but would buy a pack of cards that included the upgrades/modifications that come with them.

They already make a separate dice pack.  I see no reason why we wouldn't, down the line (after another wave or two), see packs of upgrades and modifications.  It really depends on what direction they go though.  As people are quick to point out, we are quickly running out of ships that A) appeared in the original trilogy, and B) fit the scale of the game.

in so many words, you're saying you want to buy the bare minimum of product necessary to build your dream squadron. If you want multiple copies of Stealth device or Engine Upgrade, then I disagree: you do see a need in having multiple YT-1300s or Firesprays.

It's not in a company's profit interest to enable people to buy the bare minimum of their product. They put out expansions that have ships and cards; if you want a certain card, it's in certain packs. You know what to buy. It's a strange definition of "forcing people" to put out a product for people to buy and hope that they actually buy the product. 

I don't consider it to be "forcing me" to buy all the Baratheon and Lannister and Martell cards I'll *never* use for the Game of Thrones LCG. I'm not demanding that they split up their chapter packs into mini packs containing just the factions I care to play.

While the cards in question (Stealth Device, Engine Upgrade) do only come with the Slave I and YT-1300 right now, other upgrades are found in multiple places.  It is clear they are not "married" to a certain ship.  Thus, it should be simple to understand that one could see no need to have multiple copies of a ship they only ever plan to play 1 of at a time, but then have a desire to own more of the upgrade/modifications that come with said ship.  Need vs desire.  Personally, no matter how bad I want 4 Stealth Devices, or 4 Engine Upgrades, I have no use for 2 YT-1300's or 2 Slave I's.  The cost of them is too high just for the modification/upgrade cards, in my opinion.  I will not be spending additional money on those expansions.  If those cards are re-released in another ship expansion, I'll likely buy it as it is (at this point) probably a new ship (in other words I'd more likely be buying it for the ship, not the upgrades).  Now if they were released in a multipack of just upgrade/modification cards, then I would definitely be spending more money, money that I am not otherwise spending on FFG products currently.  The question is, overall for the whole game and all its players, is the amount gained from upgrade/modification packs more or less than the money lost because some people are willing to buy those extra ships just for the cards?  I don't know the answer to this.

As for your example, if the faction cards you did want were not in those chapter packs, would you buy them?  Based on you not wanting cards for factions you don't play, I would assume no.  So really, to get the cards you want you only have 1 option.  You have to buy the whole pack.  So yes, you are forced to pay for something you are not going to use, in order to get something you will use.  Is anyone making you buy the game at all, no.  Let's not get into the semantics of forced.  I think it was pretty obvious I was indicating that in one scenario people end up with something they don't want because they have no other option to get the thing they do want, and in the other scenario people can pick and choose.

Anyhow, you specifically said unprofitable.  All I did was point out, in so many words, that less profit is different than unprofitable.  My guess is that letting players buy the bare minimum of product would still turn a profit, it just might be less profit than the current set up.

#26 Daeglan

Daeglan

• Members
  • 974 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:23 PM

And it likely would generate more profit as you are getting money from more people. Some of them are spending less and some are spending more. But by not having the lower cost items available you are leaving money on the table that is available. It always pays to have items at many price points. 

#27 ForceM

ForceM

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:58 AM

Daeglan said:

If I don't have 30 bucks but I have 10 bucks you should have a way to get that ten bucks.

That's exactly the point, sorry Grimwalker you're wrong. If someone buys 2-3 Firesprays or Falcons it is because they want to play the ship, not for the cards only (dude that would be a really bad buy, as if you find a pack of 100$ and you just keep the rubber tying them together…). Would they have booster packs they could make more money, not less.

Also i lost one pilot card, FFG would probably have sent it to me had i lied to them saying it was missing in the blister pack. But i didn't. Also EDGE selling the french packs in Europe does not even have a proper customer service i could adress. I would pay for it that's not the point but i just can't get replacement. This s*****! They should just make booster packs for people that lost a card, brolke a piece or would like to have certain upgrades. They would sell them with no problem, whereas nobody will buy a whole new ship for such a reason!

Also, FFG could show they areba customer-friendly and competent company unlike others in this business.

#28 jetsetter

jetsetter

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:31 AM

I had absolutely no problem getting a replacement dial for my Tie Advanced when the original faded way to "fast"!! FFG responded in a timely manner and were great to work with.  Just my experience in dealing with them.~Ron

#29 RockSoldier

RockSoldier

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:25 AM

I love the idea of something like an 'X-Wing Pilot Booster' pack, something to give even more customability to the game  Eventualy they are going to run out of ships to make, and these packs could keep interest up during the waves of ships and expend the life of the game itself.

I would also love something like limited card variations, like foil or alternate art.  not something that would change the cards stats,  but something different and special so I can say 'I have it and you dont'   lol

#30 RockSoldier

RockSoldier

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:29 AM

RockSoldier said:

I would also love something like limited card variations, like foil or alternate art.  not something that would change the cards stats,  but something different and special so I can say 'I have it and you dont'   lol

I know that they have the 2 different aurebesh titled cards for the game night prizes. thats the kind of thing I mean, but maybe a little more opportunity to get them.  maybe something like a special limited alternate art card available only online for a very short time.

#31 Daeglan

Daeglan

• Members
  • 974 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:59 AM

I don't really want to go the collectable route. I find it annoying. Maybe 2 or 3 different packs with specific pilots in each. Maybe do squadron packs. 
IE green squadron, Red Squadron, Rogue Squadron. Maybestart with a Red Squadron pack. Then do a green x-wing expansion pack and then a pilot set. So you can fill out the squadron. And so on. Same for Y-Wings

#32 Daeglan

Daeglan

• Members
  • 974 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:00 PM

I don't really want to go the collectable route. I find it annoying. Maybe 2 or 3 different packs with specific pilots in each. Maybe do squadron packs. 
IE green squadron, Red Squadron, Rogue Squadron. Maybestart with a Red Squadron pack. Then do a green x-wing expansion pack and then a pilot set. So you can fill out the squadron. And so on. Same for Y-Wings.

#33 elfholme

elfholme

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:32 PM

Daeglan said:

IE green squadron, Red Squadron, Rogue Squadron. Maybestart with a Red Squadron pack. Then do a green x-wing expansion pack and then a pilot set. So you can fill out the squadron. And so on. Same for Y-Wings.

I would love to buy pilot card packs that let us fill out squadrons (and maybe even gave us new ones).  I'd dearly love to get Rogue Squadron pilots besides Wedge.  If they were a pack of a dozen pilot cards (and base cardboard for each) for, say, $7.99, I would buy them in an instant. And those are just top of my head numbers.  I'd probably pay more, or pay that amount for fewer pilots. <shrug>

#34 Grimwalker

Grimwalker

• Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:46 AM

rowdyoctopus said:

Anyhow, you specifically said unprofitable.  All I did was point out, in so many words, that less profit is different than unprofitable.  My guess is that letting players buy the bare minimum of product would still turn a profit, it just might be less profit than the current set up.

Less profit versus more profit is pretty much the definition of unprofitable. They will never do that.

If they reprint Engine Upgrade or Stealth Device with a different ship in Wave 3, that wouldn't be unprecedented at all. But they've put out a certain catalog of products at the present time, and you're saying you want that product but you don't want to buy that product. Sorry, that just sounds like an overdeveloped sense of entitlement to me. And what you're asking them to produce instead is something that would result in less money for them. I'm sorry, but that would just be perverse of them in order to enact. 

#35 rowdyoctopus

rowdyoctopus

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:59 AM

Grimwalker said:

rowdyoctopus said:

Less profit versus more profit is pretty much the definition of unprofitable. They will never do that.

If they reprint Engine Upgrade or Stealth Device with a different ship in Wave 3, that wouldn't be unprecedented at all. But they've put out a certain catalog of products at the present time, and you're saying you want that product but you don't want to buy that product. Sorry, that just sounds like an overdeveloped sense of entitlement to me. And what you're asking them to produce instead is something that would result in less money for them. I'm sorry, but that would just be perverse of them in order to enact. 

I have done no such thing.  You are attributing things to me that are not true.  I have not asked them to do anything, I merely said I would buy something like that.  I have made it very clear that there is a chance they make less money, and for that specific reason I have explicitly avoided saying what they should or should not do.

As for saying I want a product but don't want to buy that product, I have no idea how anyone could come to that conclusion, let alone conclude I somehow have a sense of entitlement.  You do understand that exapnsion packs are made up of individual components, right?  And that some of those individual components, while able to work together, also function completely independent of each other?  Of those individual and independent components, I have determined that I would like to have more of some of them, but I do not want, nor need, any more of the other components.  In coming to this conclusion, I have deemed that given my own personal situation and experience with this game, the price tag on the expansions is too high of an asking price for me to spend to only get use out of only some of the pieces.  I thought I made that pretty clear previously

This in no way means that I think the business model should be changed, or that they need or should do anything different than they currently are.  All it means is that I will have to play with less components than I want because I am unwilling to pay the price to get those components.  I have fully accepted this as the way it is.  Were I entitled, I would be complaining and expecting Fantasy Flight Games to cater to my desires and release these components in a different fashion.  I have done no such thing, I have merely suggested that if they were to do such a thing, I would be interested, while also pointing out that doing such a thing might not be in the best interests of them as a business.

So please, take you accusations elsewhere.

#36 Grimwalker

Grimwalker

• Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:08 PM

sorry, I got mixed up between your comments and the original poster.  My apologies.

#37 rowdyoctopus

rowdyoctopus

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:41 PM

Grimwalker said:

sorry, I got mixed up between your comments and the original poster.  My apologies.

No problem.  I was crabby when I wrote that last message too.  No hard feelings. sonreir

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS