Victory I-class Star Destroyer project

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#41 straetski

straetski

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:01 PM

it must weigh a ton... I can't wait to see it finished!

Moritori Nullumus Mori!

#42 Joe Boss Red Seven

Joe Boss Red Seven

The Laughing Warrior

• Members
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:04 PM

Fun games to be had on this table I should think.

"There Is No Such Thing As Luck." BLACK SIX RED SEVEN

STAR WARS is far more than three thirty year old films. FFG intends for X-Wing to thrive, thus it will be more also... PERIOD.

ALLIANCE: [A-WING: 3][B-WING: 3][E-WING: 3][HWK-290: 2][X-WING: 6][Y-WING: 5][Z-95: 6][YT-1300: 1][YT-2400: ] EMPIRE: [TIE ADVANCED: 1][TIE BOMBER: 3][TIE DEFENDER: 3][TIE FIGHTER: 5][TIE INTERCEPTOR: 6][TIE PHANTOM: 3][DECIMATOR: ][FIRESPRAY-31: ][SHUTTLE-LAMBDA: 1] SCUM: [FIRESPRAY-31: 1][HWK-290: 3][IG-2000: ][M3-A: ][STAR VIPER: ][Y-WING: 1][Z-95: ]

#43 Cilionelle

Cilionelle

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:31 PM

Finally fixed the images...

"There is no point to owning a copy of the rules if you aren't committed to actually reading them."

#44 CPTMcMurphy

CPTMcMurphy

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 05:23 PM

Looking nice, keep the pictures coming.  You ever finish that I'll come over and play a game, I'll let you be the Empire.  :D

#45 Millennium Falsehood

Millennium Falsehood

• Members
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:15 PM

Fantastic project!!

Hey, do you guys need some greebles for the command tower and superstructure? I have a huge number of them I'd be willing to cast for you, for the cost of resin and shipping. Here's a few pics:

DSC07076.jpg

DSC07077.jpg

DSC07078.jpg

If you give me a rough approximation of the square inches you'll be covering in greebles, I'll set you up with an appropriate amount and ones which would look good on a Star Destroyer. :)

Are you going to make the "wings" moveable?

Edited by Millennium Falsehood, 01 September 2013 - 09:28 PM.

Rebel Alliance: 7 X-wings, 4 Y-wings, 4 A-wings, 1 YT-1300, 2 HWK-290s, 3 B-wings, 1 GR-75, 1 CR-90

Galactic Empire: 6 TIE Fighters, 1 TIE Advanced, 2 Firespray-31s, 1 Lambda class Shuttle, 3 TIE Bombers

"Main characters defeat a Star Trek villain? Give 'em a Star Wars celebration!"

#46 Cilionelle

Cilionelle

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:08 PM

No, the wings will be fixed. It's a huge space... but stuff to cover it with would be excellent, provided you aren't replicating copyrighted model kits.
"There is no point to owning a copy of the rules if you aren't committed to actually reading them."

#47 Millennium Falsehood

Millennium Falsehood

• Members
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:56 PM

I wouldn't be replicating the whole kit, just a few parts from about 100 different kits mixed together. Mostly tanks and ships, with a few plane parts thrown in. I'll see what I can come up with. Sci-fi modelers do this all the time and the big companies that represent themselves online say that as long as the whole kit isn't being replicated, we can do it as many times as we want.

One part I *know* you'll want is a large turret from a big battleship kit which would be perfect for the bridge. The same kind of part was used on the Imperial class studio model. :)

Rebel Alliance: 7 X-wings, 4 Y-wings, 4 A-wings, 1 YT-1300, 2 HWK-290s, 3 B-wings, 1 GR-75, 1 CR-90

Galactic Empire: 6 TIE Fighters, 1 TIE Advanced, 2 Firespray-31s, 1 Lambda class Shuttle, 3 TIE Bombers

#48 Cilionelle

Cilionelle

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:52 AM

Cool.  Actually, the idea inspired me for another ship I'm working on, a Vanguard-class assault gunship.  I have a T-34 tank kit that has been sitting doing nothing, and it's going to help out a lot!

#49 Millennium Falsehood

Millennium Falsehood

• Members
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 02:13 AM

I'll get to work on it as soon as I get back home; I'm visiting my parents at the moment. I'm thinking two different 8.5x11" solid sheets of greebles cast about 10 times or so ought to be good. It won't be too costly in terms of resin, either. Most pieces are flat or nearly flat.

#50 Millennium Falsehood

Millennium Falsehood

• Members
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:20 PM

I went through my rather massive collection of greebles and came up with two 8.5"x11" sheets. One is pure tank parts, the other is about 60/40 ship/aircraft parts. I took pictures of them so I could remember how they are arranged on the board.

I'll be casting about five or six sheets of each, then if you want I can also separate them from the resin sheet before I ship them to you. If you want a specific number of these, or if you want extras of one or two parts (those gun turrets might be rather useful, in fact), give me a shout and I'll cast more of those or else dig out more duplicates and fit them somewhere on the sheet. I'll also be tossing in a couple bags of tank treads. They'll be useful as filler for a project of this size (I rarely use more than four or five on my own projects because they go to model shows where the tread-heads, aka tank modelers, can spot the a mile away).

I'll file off the little nubbins left over from where I trimmed them off the sprue, btw. Also, in case you were worried about me casting some parts with undercuts, these molds won't be used that often so I can afford to put in a few undercuts in order to preserve as much of the original part as possible. These will be arranged in a more geometric pattern after I find some LEGO bricks to use for containment purposes.

DSCN5644.jpg

DSCN5645.jpg

Edited by Millennium Falsehood, 03 September 2013 - 11:24 PM.

• Cilionelle likes this

#51 Bulwark

Bulwark

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:10 AM

I think the bridge would look great with that Huey on the side of it ;)

#52 Joe Boss Red Seven

Joe Boss Red Seven

The Laughing Warrior

• Members
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:14 AM

I went through my rather massive collection of greebles and came up with two 8.5"x11" sheets. One is pure tank parts, the other is about 60/40 ship/aircraft parts. I took pictures of them so I could remember how they are arranged on the board.

I'll be casting about five or six sheets of each, then if you want I can also separate them from the resin sheet before I ship them to you. If you want a specific number of these, or if you want extras of one or two parts (those gun turrets might be rather useful, in fact), give me a shout and I'll cast more of those or else dig out more duplicates and fit them somewhere on the sheet. I'll also be tossing in a couple bags of tank treads. They'll be useful as filler for a project of this size (I rarely use more than four or five on my own projects because they go to model shows where the tread-heads, aka tank modelers, can spot the a mile away).

I'll file off the little nubbins left over from where I trimmed them off the sprue, btw. Also, in case you were worried about me casting some parts with undercuts, these molds won't be used that often so I can afford to put in a few undercuts in order to preserve as much of the original part as possible. These will be arranged in a more geometric pattern after I find some LEGO bricks to use for containment purposes.

DSCN5644.jpg

DSCN5645.jpg

This is exactly how the original modelers built the ships...it is very cool IMO!

"There Is No Such Thing As Luck." BLACK SIX RED SEVEN

STAR WARS is far more than three thirty year old films. FFG intends for X-Wing to thrive, thus it will be more also... PERIOD.

ALLIANCE: [A-WING: 3][B-WING: 3][E-WING: 3][HWK-290: 2][X-WING: 6][Y-WING: 5][Z-95: 6][YT-1300: 1][YT-2400: ] EMPIRE: [TIE ADVANCED: 1][TIE BOMBER: 3][TIE DEFENDER: 3][TIE FIGHTER: 5][TIE INTERCEPTOR: 6][TIE PHANTOM: 3][DECIMATOR: ][FIRESPRAY-31: ][SHUTTLE-LAMBDA: 1] SCUM: [FIRESPRAY-31: 1][HWK-290: 3][IG-2000: ][M3-A: ][STAR VIPER: ][Y-WING: 1][Z-95: ]

#53 Cilionelle

Cilionelle

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:16 AM

That's fantastic! Thanks! It'll give a boost to our construction too... "We will redouble our efforts!"
  • Viceroy Bolda likes this

#54 DarkFather

DarkFather

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:50 AM

This is exactly the sort of thing I need for my SD tabletop... I'm detailing mine inch by inch... it's going to take me forever. Think I'll be heading out looking for dirt cheap models this weekend.

8x TIE/ln, 4x TIE/adv, 7x TIE/int, 4x TIE/Bomber, 3x Firespray, 3x Shuttle, 7x X-wing, 4x Y-wing, 3x A-wing, 3x B-wing, 3x YT-1300, 1x GR-75, 1x CR-90.

#55 Millennium Falsehood

Millennium Falsehood

• Members
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:36 PM

That's fantastic! Thanks! It'll give a boost to our construction too... "We will redouble our efforts!"

No problem. I figure if I can't actually be there helping you guys build this bad boy, the least I can do is get you set up for parts. :) Plus this helps me, too. I'd much rather cast these anyway than use them up, and I'll be sure to use the molds for my own projects.

Fun fact: one of the ship turrets was the original part used on the Imperial-class ISD tower for the main bridge. You can kind of make it out in this image (it sits right above the large ribbed structure in the middle of the face):

isdface2asm.jpg

I forgot one very important thing: I'll be including some teeny little Panzer tank engine decks. They were a staple of Star Wars miniatures, and it would be almost a sacrilege not to have a couple on your Star Destroyer somewhere. :)

I'm going to see about getting them cast after this weekend. I'm heading away to a retreat, but after I get back I should be able to find time to get them cast.

This is exactly the sort of thing I need for my SD tabletop... I'm detailing mine inch by inch... it's going to take me forever. Think I'll be heading out looking for dirt cheap models this weekend.

Pro-tip: Try to find a model show in your local area. Often you can find vendors selling high-quality kits by Tamiya, Hasegawa, and other top-notch manufacturers for pennies on the dollar. I once get a stack of battleship and tank kits for about $25. Also, try to find local clubs. The members there should be helpful in giving you spare parts and old, incomplete kits they don't want and can't sell. Those pictures with the half-empty sprues? That's about half of a collection of old model parts a guy had in his basement that he just *gave* me. :)

Edited by Millennium Falsehood, 04 September 2013 - 09:37 PM.

• Cilionelle likes this

#56 DarkFather

DarkFather

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:35 AM

LOL... Pro-tip... My town has 2 shops that sell models... that's it.

The best option I have is buying 1:76 scale models (at a stupid $9.99 each)... but I fear $100 worth of those and I still wouldn't have enough.

Ah well. I'll continue making myine inch by inch with plasticard, tubing, knick knacks, and cardboard.. sigh

Edited by DarkFather, 05 September 2013 - 02:35 AM.

8x TIE/ln, 4x TIE/adv, 7x TIE/int, 4x TIE/Bomber, 3x Firespray, 3x Shuttle, 7x X-wing, 4x Y-wing, 3x A-wing, 3x B-wing, 3x YT-1300, 1x GR-75, 1x CR-90.

#57 Millennium Falsehood

Millennium Falsehood

• Members
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:19 AM

That is a stupid price to pay for kitbashing parts.

Ever thought of casting? Make a few detail panels out of plasticard, then mold them using an open-face mold (super easy; build a retaining wall around the part, pour RTV rubber silicone around it, then wait till it hardens) and pour resin in. Repeat ad infinitum. It's inexpensive and not at all hard to learn. It is a bit hard to master, but if you can learn the basics you'll be fine.

I only have one shop where I live, but they've got a model club there. I'd ask the owners of your local hobby shops if there are clubs nearby, and if there aren't, let them know you're trying to find spare parts and kits which have been "parted out" (i.e., bought only for replacement parts then shoved back into the closet indefinitely). They'll probably know which of he "regulars" buys models and will be willing to ask them. I can almost guarantee that one option or the other is available to you. Also, try to find out when the next model show will be held. There are about five a year in my town, and most of them have vendors where I can find insanely cheap (and sometimes free) kits. Like, a Tamiya 1:350 BB-63 Missouri for $15 or a Tamiya 1:35 M4 Sherman for $2.

#58 DarkFather

DarkFather

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:06 AM

That is a stupid price to pay for kitbashing parts.

Ever thought of casting? Make a few detail panels out of plasticard, then mold them using an open-face mold (super easy; build a retaining wall around the part, pour RTV rubber silicone around it, then wait till it hardens) and pour resin in. Repeat ad infinitum. It's inexpensive and not at all hard to learn. It is a bit hard to master, but if you can learn the basics you'll be fine.

I only have one shop where I live, but they've got a model club there. I'd ask the owners of your local hobby shops if there are clubs nearby, and if there aren't, let them know you're trying to find spare parts and kits which have been "parted out" (i.e., bought only for replacement parts then shoved back into the closet indefinitely). They'll probably know which of he "regulars" buys models and will be willing to ask them. I can almost guarantee that one option or the other is available to you. Also, try to find out when the next model show will be held. There are about five a year in my town, and most of them have vendors where I can find insanely cheap (and sometimes free) kits. Like, a Tamiya 1:350 BB-63 Missouri for $15 or a Tamiya 1:35 M4 Sherman for $2.

I went through all that above, and received zero help or guidance. Our town has never had a model show. Ever. I'm 5+hrs away from the nearest capital city, and in Australia the cost to purchase molding equipment is prohibitive at best.

Trust me, I have tried all these things. I have been hobbying/modelling for well over half of my life, and have looked into these sorts of things in the past, many times over.

As per the SD, I simply have little to no choice other than to detail as best as I can. It isn't a problem, it'll just add an extra month or two onto the build time. My fear is getting sick of it and giving in before then.

Meh, at least I'll be able to say it's 'mine', fully scratchbuilt. lol

Edited by DarkFather, 05 September 2013 - 05:07 AM.

#59 Millennium Falsehood

Millennium Falsehood

• Members
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 12:04 PM

Dude, it's not my fault that they don't display your location (the fact that the Australia uses the same dollar sign as the U.S. didn't help, either). I know some aussie modelers and their difficulty with obtaining stuff like RTV and resin, so if I had known in the beginning that you were from Oz I wouldn't have suggested that as an option in the first place. I did try to be helpful and offer advice that in my own experience has worked.

If you were to help me pay for the cost of supplies and shipping, I would be happy to cast up some parts for you when I do Cilionelle's.

• Cilionelle likes this

#60 DarkFather

DarkFather

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:22 AM

Your info was extremely good. I wasn't saying otherwise. I apologise for not declaring country. I was hoping that help would be universal, perhaps I should've known better. LOL Thanks for the offer, but shipping costs across the pond make it cost-prohibitive. Your info has opened avenues and given me ideas however.

I do thank you for the info and help.

Cheers

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS