• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 flightmaster101

flightmaster101

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:55 AM

sageleader said:

I'm not sure what's so absurd about this topic. I haven't played in any major tournaments before so I was just curious why card marking wasn't explicitly prohibited.

The topic is not absurd, for me its what people are saying with no citation in the rules.  And in true internet fasion I will not give a citation either.  I will leave it to say that I believe that if you sleve your command deck in red for Sith and black for Imperial Navy you are marking your cards.  You are giving yourself the advantage of knowing beforehand whether or not you have a resource match.  So while it does not technically sleeves must be uniform, I would interpert uniformity to be in the "spirit" of the rule.

#22 TGO

TGO

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:03 AM

flightmaster101 said:

for me its what people are saying with no citation in the rules.  

You dont need a citation for common sense. 

#23 flightmaster101

flightmaster101

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:18 AM

TGO said:

flightmaster101 said:

for me its what people are saying with no citation in the rules.  

You dont need a citation for common sense. 

correct, but when stating or paraphrasing a rule you should cite it.

#24 Skowza

Skowza

• Members
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:29 PM

Agree with TGO and JMCB, this thread is silly, and posts like this

sageleader said:

…but nowhere does it say that card marking is illegal. It seems someone could use  matte sleeves and just write on the back of them things like "darth vader" to denote which card it is.

are the reason why.  As someone who is TOing FFG events this year and has done so in the past, all I have to point out is the "etc" at the end of the list of unsportsmanlike conduct moves, and that "The TO, at his or her sole discretion, may penalize or remove players from the tournament for unsportsmanlike conduct."
I can also say that in past events I've participated in, TOs and organizers have required opaque sleeves, so even if you don't like opaque sleeves, you might want to have 2 decks worth (1 DS, 1 LS) of them handy just in case (or be prepared to have to buy them while at the event).

#25 divedeeper

divedeeper

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:54 AM

As an extension:

Would having your objective and command decks in different styles of sleeves considered marking in the unsportsmanlike sense?  Specifically, I have my objective cards in art sleeves and my command cards in clear.  This is my first attempt at competitve play and don't want to have the surprise expense on tourney day.

#26 Rogue 4

Rogue 4

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:34 PM

I do the same thing, so my answer would be no. They are two different decks that do not get shuffled together. If either deck is expired when you have to draw a card from them you lose. Sorry, I can't come up with a reason that they can not be in separate deck sleeves.

Millennium Falcon, Rebel Transport, Tantive IV, A-Wing x2, B-wing, E-Wing, X-wing x4, Y-wing, Z95 Headhunter x2, HWK-290, TIE Fighter x 5, TIE Advanced x1, TIE Bomber, x1, TIE Interceptor x1, TIE Defender, TIE Phantom,  Imperial Aces, Slave I, Lambda Shuttle

#27 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,275 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:46 PM

divedeeper said:

As an extension:

Would having your objective and command decks in different styles of sleeves considered marking in the unsportsmanlike sense?  Specifically, I have my objective cards in art sleeves and my command cards in clear.  This is my first attempt at competitve play and don't want to have the surprise expense on tourney day.

They are two separate decks that don't get shuffled together so no that is not marking. Marking is having cards in the same deck with different sleeves or some other manner of knowing without looking what the card (s) are.

#28 cmage

cmage

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:31 AM

The question was can he use different sleeves for different factions. NO that is marking your cards.

#29 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:29 AM

cmage said:

The question was can he use different sleeves for different factions. NO that is marking your cards.

cmage wins!

FINISH HIM!

#30 jeeps

jeeps

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:29 AM

So what you're saying is I can't put my Sith cards in clear sleeves and my Spies and Bounty Hunters in tinfoil?  Just want to make sure…. mono

Peter Jacobson

Minnesota, USA

#31 divedeeper

divedeeper

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:01 AM

Thanks Toq and R4.

#32 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:18 PM

In AGoT, can a Baratheon player sleeve each of his plot cards with a different color, as a reference to Renly's Rainbow Guard? I can't see why this would be a problem in Joust format, except that it could assist a player's attempt to deliberately lose to a friend, which is collusion, but I'd say it's easy enough to lose that game without breaking the rules to do it, so…

#33 ScottieATF

ScottieATF

• Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:47 PM

MarthWMaster said:

In AGoT, can a Baratheon player sleeve each of his plot cards with a different color, as a reference to Renly's Rainbow Guard? I can't see why this would be a problem in Joust format, except that it could assist a player's attempt to deliberately lose to a friend, which is collusion, but I'd say it's easy enough to lose that game without breaking the rules to do it, so…

No, it be marking his cards.  To no apparent advantage, but still marking.

#34 Skowza

Skowza

• Members
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:39 AM

It would be a bad idea anyway; if the game went past 7 plots, then a smart opponent would look at all the plots before they go back in the unused pile and remember what was sleeved in what color so they knew what you planned to play.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS