Photo

Corillian Gunship project (not Corvette blockade runner)

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#21 Endgame124

Endgame124

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:39 AM

I'd like to recommend that the gunship (and cap ships in general) move in their own round before fighter movement is selected.  That should give the Cap ships a sutible lumbering feel and not have them always stuck on fighters.  In fact, Fighters should probably be displaced if they are overlapped by a capital ship.

• Viceroy Bolda likes this

#22 Gullwind

Gullwind

• Members
  • 623 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:14 AM

Given the relative speeds, would capital ships even move in a game situation? In the movies, the fighters zip around the big ships like they're standing still. And given that even a small capital chip like the Gunship is going to take up a big chunk of the play area, not moving might be a better option. There is a scenario I found a couple weeks ago that involved an Imperial corvette. Instead of moving, each turret was treated as a non-mobile ship. I though that was a clever wa of handling it.

#23 Salcor

Salcor

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:15 PM

I am working on converting the X-Wing Computer game missions into multiplayer scenarios, and the first one, Destroy the Imperial Convoy includes 5 BFF-1 Bulk Freighter and a  CR90 The Bixby.  I was thinking of having the Bulk Freighters remain stationary, each with a countdown timer one them, which would be how many rounds until they jumped out of system.  I have been thinking for the CR90 that is has a 1 bank left and right, and a 1 forward.  Perhaps even a 2 forward red, perhaps only every other turn.  Piloting skill of course would be 0.

Salcor

The meek shall truly inherit the Earth

because that is where they will be buried

#24 Viceroy Bolda

Viceroy Bolda

• Members
  • 846 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:29 PM

A short video made by a fan.  3 gunships vs. an interdictor cruiser.

I'm hearing some great ideas here.  

Bulldog

"What's 'e going to do?  Nibble my bum?"

#25 Viceroy Bolda

Viceroy Bolda

• Members
  • 846 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:45 PM

Finally assembled the fuselage to the powerhouse.  I filled in the gaps with putty and smoother it out.

I painted it and cut some lines across the hull to simulate panels.  

The bridge

I found an engraving kit and took it to task.  

The missile launchers are mounted.  

Next steps: nose art, build gun turrets.

Bulldog

#26 rowdyoctopus

rowdyoctopus

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:53 PM

Nice work. Looks great. Cannot wait to see the finished product.

#27 Skorpious

Skorpious

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:24 PM

Look awesome!  Great work.

#28 Cilionelle

Cilionelle

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:01 PM

I'm very much enjoying seeing this project coming along.  it's great!  and feel free to make me one when you're done…

"There is no point to owning a copy of the rules if you aren't committed to actually reading them."

#29 Viceroy Bolda

Viceroy Bolda

• Members
  • 846 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:24 AM

Thanks for the compliments!  Glad to see other nerds think this is cool. Anyhow, with the blizard today I did some painting and a wash.

Next step: arm the beast, make a base.

Bulldog

#30 Kaxel Vofer

Kaxel Vofer

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:50 AM

Wow, base???, how big it will be, you have a great project, congratulations, greetings.

"That the reward for you, don´t be so high".

Kaxel Vofer.

#31 Viceroy Bolda

Viceroy Bolda

• Members
  • 846 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:59 AM

Kaxel,

I would like the base to be the approximate size/shape of the ship.  I already have a hole drilled on the bottom of the craft.  I would like the base to be at least as tall as FFG ships.  

Thanks for looking!

Bulldog

#32 Viceroy Bolda

Viceroy Bolda

• Members
  • 846 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:47 AM

We have lift off!!!

What do you guys think about the altitude?  Is the ship mounted too high?  At this height, players will be able to see the belly guns and the base.  I plan to paint the base into segmented target areas as others have done to their Corvettes.  

A work in progress.

Bulldog

#33 DB Draft

DB Draft

• Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:00 PM

That is awesome!  The height makes it possible for the smaller ships to fly under it so I think that is ideal. Have you been working on stats for it?

Nerfherder in Training

#34 Aridia 97th

Aridia 97th

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:59 PM

Height looks perfect.  Enough to prevent getting in the way, but not so high that you can see your opponents face.  One thought.  You might want to flip the base bottom over.  The warp in that I can see makes it look like it will rock back and forth if the edges are touched.

#35 Viceroy Bolda

Viceroy Bolda

• Members
  • 846 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:03 PM

Thanks DB.  I posted some possible stats on Page two but nothing is definitive at this point.  Any suggestions?

Aridia, I thought so too, but the slight curve helps the base slide like a sled.  Plus, it is heavy enough not to rock.  We had the same idea.  Great minds think alike!

Thanks for looking!

Still a work in progress.

Bulldog

#36 DB Draft

DB Draft

• Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:47 PM

Sorry, I should have seen your stats, they look reasonable for something that scale.  I have the CR90 model and it seems about the same size.  I have also been thinking of gaming with larger ships and there are several possible ways to do it.  The simple way is to treat it just like a big fighter.  Alternatively have various target zones and give these separate shield ratings.  This gives a "Star Wars/Trek" feel… (ie "transfer power to the front deflectors" ).  The shield values would not need to be too large (5 or so) but they could be rechargable.  So concentrated fire could strip the shields from a certain location and strike the hull and cause certain criticals (depending on the target zone) but otherwise the shields will slowly repair again unless a shield generator is knocked out.

I think this system is more challenging but keeps the theme.  So large ships may be able to use multiple actions (target locks etc…) or use special actions (repair shield).  If they have a limit of 3 to 4 actions per round then the player needs to prioritise attack vs defence actions.

Nerfherder in Training

#37 Cilionelle

Cilionelle

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:36 PM

I am thinking tentatively about doing up a CR90 (it's 55.6cm long, though…), but I was also thinking about making each system on the ship a separate target.  Someone posted a list of cap-ship rules they were working on and that's where the idea came from.  Sorry that I can't remember who it was.  The gist of it was separate systems, common shield pool.

The other difficulty is that there is no "Deflector Shield Generator Dome" like on the Star Destroyers.  So if you wanted to "take out the shields", you'd have to do it the old fashioned way.  After that, you'd need stats for each target or system.

But I like the look of this model heaps.  It's a great addition to the game!

Edited to add that according to the SAGA edition rules, the Corellian Gunship had about 12x the amount of Hull or Armour or Structural Integrity of an X-wing, and about 7.6x the Shield strength.  That would put it at roughly 36 Hull and 14-15 Shield.

"There is no point to owning a copy of the rules if you aren't committed to actually reading them."

#38 DB Draft

DB Draft

• Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:52 PM

I am thinking about some generic Capital ship rules that could be applied to any type of appropriate ship.  At the scale of X wing this means patrol craft, frigate/corvette/blockade runner sized rather that Star Destroyers but the principle would be the same.

These ideas are influenced by what I have seen from others based on the CR90 in particular and iI do no meant to take credit for their ideas.

Capital Ship Actions (3 or 4 actions can be done during a turn, multiples of the same action are allowed)

Target Lock (as normal, the number only limited by how many active sensors available)

Concentrate Fire (allows multiple turrets to fire at a single target and be resolved as a single attack)

Regenerate Shield (either 1 shield per action or 1 roll of a green die, anything but a blank recovers a shield)

Cap ships would not need evade or barrel roll actions obviously and possible should not even get focus as they can mass defensive guns.

My idea is to divide the ship into three target zones: Command Centre (Bridge), Ordnance Bay (Weapons/Sensors) and Propulsion (Engines).  Each of these zones can be targeted separately, but unless you have a TL an attacker will normally hit the closest zone.  Each target zone has a separate shield rating.  Once this is down hits will go to the hull as normal.  If criticals are done then the type would depend on the target zone in question.  A simple critical table would be needed to roll for the outcome.

As an example of a CR90:

20 Hull

5 Shields for each target zone (Command Centre, Ordnance Bay and Engines)

4 Actions available: Target Lock (max of 2), Concentrate Fire, Shield Regenerate

So they could TL a fighter on their portside and Concentrate Fire with their portside batteries (2 actions) and attempt to recover 2 shields on their Engine deflector screen (2 actions).  The player therefore has to decide how they will spend their actions on etheir attacks and defence. 

Anyway those are just some ideas, I have not tried these out.

Nerfherder in Training

#39 Viceroy Bolda

Viceroy Bolda

• Members
  • 846 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:38 AM

So if each ships segment had its own shield and hull value, destructions of specific target areas could have unique.  I am a proponent of this idea but I'm coming across difficulties.  

Things kind-of float in space.  I intended for this ship to get a movement of 1, so what if the engines are destroyed?  Then what?

If the bridge is destroyed does the ship lose actions?

If the ship rebuilds shields, can it regenerate one for each of the three sections or one shield value for one selected ship section?

Without looking at the diagram I cannot remember where the shield generator is and which sector it would relate to.

Have a great day!

Bulldog

#40 DB Draft

DB Draft

• Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:34 AM

Each target zone would have a unique shield rating.  All hits that get past the shields would go directly to the hull, a single rating.  Again this depends on how you want to view shields.  Can they be variable in different locations (mentioned in Star Wars about front and rear deflectors on Y wings) or just a single rating, I prefer the former.

The criticals for each zone would need to be relevant for that section, a quick and dirty set of tables using a 1D6:

Command Centre

1-3 Bridge Hit-reduce number of available actions by 1, down to a minimum of 1.

4 Control Loss-must plot a straight maneuver (or random maneuver) also a stress token.

5 Minor Explosion-extra damage

6 Shield Generator Destroyed-lose ability to recharge shields in this zone.

Weapons/Sensor Suite

1,2 Weapon Disabled-random weapon system destroyed

3 Sensor Disabled-lose a target lock action

4 Minor Explosion-extra damage

5,6 Shield Generator Destroyed-lose ability to recharge shields in this zone.

Propulsion

1-3 Engine Damaged-a number of these criticals will cause immobilisation, but each of these hits also could give a stress token.

4,5 Minor Explosion-extra damage

6 Shield Generator Destroyed-lose ability to recharge shields in this zone.

I believe on your ship the shield generators are fairly internal near the waist.  Alternatively losing a Shield Generator could just remove a "Shield Regenerate" action regardless of the zone they are in.  This assumes power can be redistributed to the shields. 

Nerfherder in Training

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS