• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#41 elidaman

elidaman

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:54 AM

HI,

Reading all this i am worried if should invest the few hundred $$$. Money not the concern but plathrough…

I wanted to know if the below intention is possible…

Like D&D 4e i did a while back turned some of the gaming campaigns into a boardgame….I am new to the world of Warhmmer and wondered if i have the right collection and setup can do the same?

TY

#42 Doc, the Weasel

Doc, the Weasel

Pretending to be many, many things.

• Members
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:00 AM

elidaman said:

Reading all this i am worried if should invest the few hundred $$$. Money not the concern but plathrough…

… and this is why these false rumormongering threads are bad for both the line and the community.

Listen to my actual play podcasts at BeggingForXP.com.

Take a look at my Talent Trees (updated to include Dangerous Covenants), as well as my other handouts.

#43 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:24 AM

elidaman said:

I wanted to know if the below intention is possible…

Like D&D 4e i did a while back turned some of the gaming campaigns into a boardgame….I am new to the world of Warhmmer and wondered if i have the right collection and setup can do the same?

There will always be enough material for you to play through.  Kind of like D&D, this game world has TONS of scenarios, background products, an even MMO, and is currently being supported (except for dice), by FFG.  There are already 30+ products for this edition alone, so even if production slows down, you've still got years of play availability and the PDFs of the books will never 'go out of print.

Over the past couple years, I've run DOZENS of older scenarios updated to 3e.  We just finished up The Dying of the Light.  There are hundreds of fan-written scenarios of each of the three editions that can easily be converted (afterall, a beastman is a beastman..afterall  ;).

You can find all of the old fan-written scenarios (most of them are quite professionally done) online with the usual search efforts, and here's a list of all the scenarios ever done (well 96.47% of them) if you decide to go looking:  http://gallery.rptoo...D LINKS_001.pdf

Hope you enjoy the game!

jh

#44 Walltexter

Walltexter

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:37 AM

FFG puts out some amazing material.  I have purchased everything for Warhammer 3E even though I prefer 1st edition.  Why?  Because I wanted to support FFG and Warhammer in hopes that they would "see the light," keep the license and change it back to the more old school Warhammer without all the bits.  My group and I cannot stand the bits and the D&D 4E'esque format.

So, I might be more of a rare breed, one who purchases the entire collection of something I do not like, just to support the company and the line.

It is my hope that something in that message will reach FFG and make some type of positive impact on the direction of Warhammer.

In my opinion, it is my hope that a loud cry of rejecting newer directions of pnp rpgs toward an anti-social, anti-imagination, mechanical, board game / mmorpg model and demand for more "old school" roleplaying (mind's eye theater) flavor of pnp rpg games will be heard.

Warhammer is a unique system with a unique setting.  Sure, it has a smaller following than most of the high fantasy rpgs out there.  But, the following that it has is very loyal.

I am about to introduce Warhammer 1st edition, The Enemy Within campaign to one of my younger (6 players ages 15-25) gaming groups.  They have never experienced Warhammer and while I am influencing them toward an earlier edition, that is where the magic lies, so I feel it would be a grave disservice toward Warhammer and even FFG to run 3rd edition.

I hope you are listening FFG and I hope you do not give up on the license.  I believe in your outstanding capability to do anything you do is first rate, top notch, set apart and a bar above.  In my opinion, you goofed with Warhammer 3E, just as WotC goofed with D&D 4E, but it is not irreversible for FFG.  WotC's mistake correction is yet to be determined since Paizo has claimed the throne with Pathfinder.

At this point, FFG does not have any Warhammer competition out there like WotC has to contend with.  Games like Zweihander will be in development for quite some time and will never attain the support the Warhammer franchise has.

So, the question is, will you change course and make a strong attempt to capitalize on a better, more old-school, no fiddly bits Warhammer FRPG or will you drive it into the ground and quit on it?

Thank you for your consideration.

#45 Kartigan

Kartigan

• Members
  • 408 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:06 PM

Walltexter said:

FFG puts out some amazing material.  I have purchased everything for Warhammer 3E even though I prefer 1st edition.  Why?  Because I wanted to support FFG and Warhammer in hopes that they would "see the light," keep the license and change it back to the more old school Warhammer without all the bits.  My group and I cannot stand the bits and the D&D 4E'esque format.

So, I might be more of a rare breed, one who purchases the entire collection of something I do not like, just to support the company and the line.

It is my hope that something in that message will reach FFG and make some type of positive impact on the direction of Warhammer.

In my opinion, it is my hope that a loud cry of rejecting newer directions of pnp rpgs toward an anti-social, anti-imagination, mechanical, board game / mmorpg model and demand for more "old school" roleplaying (mind's eye theater) flavor of pnp rpg games will be heard.

Warhammer is a unique system with a unique setting.  Sure, it has a smaller following than most of the high fantasy rpgs out there.  But, the following that it has is very loyal.

I am about to introduce Warhammer 1st edition, The Enemy Within campaign to one of my younger (6 players ages 15-25) gaming groups.  They have never experienced Warhammer and while I am influencing them toward an earlier edition, that is where the magic lies, so I feel it would be a grave disservice toward Warhammer and even FFG to run 3rd edition.

I hope you are listening FFG and I hope you do not give up on the license.  I believe in your outstanding capability to do anything you do is first rate, top notch, set apart and a bar above.  In my opinion, you goofed with Warhammer 3E, just as WotC goofed with D&D 4E, but it is not irreversible for FFG.  WotC's mistake correction is yet to be determined since Paizo has claimed the throne with Pathfinder.

At this point, FFG does not have any Warhammer competition out there like WotC has to contend with.  Games like Zweihander will be in development for quite some time and will never attain the support the Warhammer franchise has.

So, the question is, will you change course and make a strong attempt to capitalize on a better, more old-school, no fiddly bits Warhammer FRPG or will you drive it into the ground and quit on it?

Thank you for your consideration.

Ummmm, did you just say that you are buying everything they've produced for Warhammer Fantasy 3E in an effort to make them regret making it and go back to making something closer to 1st or 2nd Edition?  I'm seriously not trying to be offensive and maybe you are just trolling but, why would you think that helping their new product to sell well would inspire them to change it back to the way it was?  

Oh, and you're certainly entitled to your opinion, though mine differs.  I love all the bits.  They've taken me and my friends who have never played RPGs in our lives and hooked us into them with this game.  It has now led us to play a wide variety of other RPGs, but we would never have taken that first leap without WFRP3e and it is still our favorite.

#46 Beren Eoath

Beren Eoath

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:28 PM

@elidaman

With some small changes You can play this game as a semi-boardgame RPG but still You will need a GM.

@walltaxter

I don't get how by buying this edition You want to convince FFG to make a new one. But I agre that it wouls be nice if FFG would give players a option to play WFRP more in a old-school way. But In don't think that WFRP 3e was a mistake, it was a good experiment that brought many people who never played RPG s to give it a try.  So I never looked at it as a mistake. FFG could easy give palyers a option to play this game more old school with a small book that would change some rules so players can play without bits and witout breaking the game or making a new edition. Of course there is a chance that by making a new WFRP they could sell more of it.

I just wish that FFG would give us more news what the future of WFRP will bring.

Cheers

#47 elidaman

elidaman

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:47 AM

Thank  you everyone for prompt response. I am loving it and bte i do agree overall that FFG do deliver great games… dont ask how much i spent on dust tactics and the total collection of tanhauser… great games deserve a purchase…

Then again this was going totally off the path as i know this is meant to be played as a paper traditional game. But they provided so much items and tokens and info that (opinion) "i think can be turned to a boardgame somewhat with a bit og game changing tweaks". These tweaks can only be decided once i really understand the game mechanics… So far invested 350 in it and plan for another 200 or so… I hate missing on anything even if that detail is innessential (sucker).

i am still trying to figure on some rules and other things but i think you all gave me a good perspective on a direction. Thanks and do support FFG if they keep making great products.

Drunken Cheers,

#48 Beren Eoath

Beren Eoath

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:54 AM

FFG GIVE US SOME NEWS AND SOME NEW RELEASES OR ANNOUCEMENTS FOR WFRP!!!!!

#49 Krisstoff

Krisstoff

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:41 AM

Having just purchased my Second Corebox, 2 additonal players hardback, a second players toolkit and additonal copy of both Omens of War and Lure  of Power.  (I like having an extra card of each, next up Signs and Winds )

I am hoping for some WFR 3 Love from FFG soon.

I have a group of 5 just about to start Enemy Within, however anything produced fortheline would be welcome an updated Kislev supplement if you want an easier supplement but I would love to see something NEW, ARABY,LUSTRIA, ORCS, ELVES (Although I love Yepesnopes stuff).

Pleeease FFG

Alternatively happy if you make a new rules MIDNIGHT SETTING with same mechanics (already got enough dice)

#50 pangias

pangias

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:58 PM

ok, i bought everything for 3rd edition…actually every books and supplements even if i'm not a huge fan of the system. But adventures are top notch (mostly) and i really like tons of ideas of this edition. AND i'm a WH fan (got some books first edition, every book from the 2d edition) with ED it's probably my favorite setting. And as a fan, i start to feel disappointed by the way FFG handle the situation. The silence around this edition start to be really annoying. 

FFG let us know what is your intention, or even knowing the absence of intention, rather that this uncertainity.

#51 Hauer Glaeken

Hauer Glaeken

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:02 PM

One thing I find VERY frustrating is the amount of books released for Warhammer 40K. Warhammer 40K was always more popular than Warhammer Fantasy but It doesn't explain that FFG is developping much more products for 40K. Warhammer Fantasy was firmly established as a RPG before 40K and it needs to conquer again its rightful place. I begin to wonder if Warhammer 3 would have sold as well as Warhammer 40K RPG if FFG would have stuck to the old system… I have been playing to Warhammer since 1990 and a lot of my friends  turned to 40K (or kept playing to the second edition) when the third edition was released. Personally, I bought everything for this 3rd edition, hoping that the game will enter into a new era but as time goes on, I would love to see a 4rth edition and several books exactly like the 40K  RPG universe. I think this would make a lot of Warhammer players go back to the Fantasy Universe and buy 40K and Fantasy products. 

#52 macd21

macd21

• Members
  • 888 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:40 PM

Hauer Glaeken said:

One thing I find VERY frustrating is the amount of books released for Warhammer 40K. Warhammer 40K was always more popular than Warhammer Fantasy but It doesn't explain that FFG is developping much more products for 40K.

The explanation is simple: demand. FFG release more books for the 40k lines because there is more demand for them.

#53 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:41 PM

macd21 said:

Hauer Glaeken said:

One thing I find VERY frustrating is the amount of books released for Warhammer 40K. Warhammer 40K was always more popular than Warhammer Fantasy but It doesn't explain that FFG is developping much more products for 40K

The explanation is simple: demand. FFG release more books for the 40k lines because there is more demand for them.

There is also the point that the 40K line is totally new  (as an RPG). No books with background for the game where ever published. All you could find in the stores containing some background where the army books or other rule books for parallel games like Space Hulk, well Warhammer 40K novels as well. In that sense, Warhammer 3 had a much difficult job since it was not a new product. It comes after two successful editions of the game with huge amounts of backgrounds. With this panorama FFG had in front a difficult job. While they succeed in creating a new fresh system, name the qustom narrative dice, they fail miserably somewhere else.

In my opinion they did a bad job by splitting the product the way they did. In my opinion the Core box should contain all rules (e.g. rules find in signs of faith, winds of magic, lure of power and Omens of war). By putting all the "already existing material" gods, collage of magic…in the core box, they would have had ahead new and vrigin ground to conquer where other editions have not been before. Elves, Tilea, Estalia, Arabia… Other editions of the game have been very Empire centered. In this one, since the PC are so damn heroic (sorry I had to say it), it was a great oportunitu to expand a bit the boundaries of the setting. This for sure would have catched the attention of 1st and 2nd edition fans.

Additionally, FFG did some other bad jobs. Supplements like the Black fire pass should have contained more Inventions and more Runes; it seems that the guys at FFG are lazy at doing their job, let each fan finish the job as he/she sees it suit. The creature guide has been also a big inflection point for me, I haven't seem such a poor product for an RPG in ages.

Cheers,

Yepes

The Book of the Asur - High Elf fan supplement

The Dark Side - Witches, Warlocks, Dark Magic and more

Secrets of the Anvil - Advanced Dwarf careers and runes

Dice statistics calculator for SW EotE

#54 macd21

macd21

• Members
  • 888 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:54 AM

Yepesnopes said:

In my opinion they did a bad job by splitting the product the way they did. In my opinion the Core box should contain all rules (e.g. rules find in signs of faith, winds of magic, lure of power and Omens of war). By putting all the "already existing material" gods, collage of magic…in the core box, they would have had ahead new and vrigin ground to conquer where other editions have not been before. Elves, Tilea, Estalia, Arabia… Other editions of the game have been very Empire centered. In this one, since the PC are so damn heroic (sorry I had to say it), it was a great oportunitu to expand a bit the boundaries of the setting. This for sure would have catched the attention of 1st and 2nd edition fans.

There's a reason why that virgin territory wasn't explored much in earlier editions. It's niche. Ulthuan, Tilea, Estalia, Arabia - these are fringe areas that are of less interest to the fanbase than the core of the setting, the Empire. They weren't dealt with before because there wasn't enough demand.

Are there people interested in those areas? Certainly. But not enough to justify making any of them the core of your game.

#55 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:51 AM

Not enough demand? Did they a market study to pull out a 3rd edition? There was demand for that? How do they scan the market?

Come on!

#56 Hauer Glaeken

Hauer Glaeken

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:31 PM

macd21 said:

Hauer Glaeken said:

One thing I find VERY frustrating is the amount of books released for Warhammer 40K. Warhammer 40K was always more popular than Warhammer Fantasy but It doesn't explain that FFG is developping much more products for 40K.

I agree but offer creates demand. Warhammer Fantasy RPG is overshadowed by 40K because a lot of players turned their back to the RPG because all these cards and tokens are not so "gamer friendly" which is a shame because the scenarios and background are top notch in the the third edition. May be It's time to move forward and to stick to the 40K system and see what happens. I am pretty sure that it will boost the sells. 

#57 Hauer Glaeken

Hauer Glaeken

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:37 PM

There are a lot of because in my previous sentence, forgive me. ^^ And concerning Ulthuan, Tilea and so on… Well, if the fluff and the background are great to read, theses areas will become popular. For Sigmar's sake, The High Elves are widely popular on tabletops, on Warhammer Online (actually were…) and I don't see why they would not interest RPG gamers. 

#58 macd21

macd21

• Members
  • 888 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:52 PM

Yepesnopes said:

Not enough demand? Did they a market study to pull out a 3rd edition? There was demand for that? How do they scan the market?

Come on!

They knew how much demand there was for continued 2nd edition products… which wasn't much. So they tried something new. They scan the market by looking at sales figures and feedback from distributors and retailers.

Hauer Glaeken said:

I agree but offer creates demand. Warhammer Fantasy RPG is overshadowed by 40K because a lot of players turned their back to the RPG because all these cards and tokens are not so "gamer friendly" which is a shame because the scenarios and background are top notch in the the third edition. May be It's time to move forward and to stick to the 40K system and see what happens. I am pretty sure that it will boost the sells. 

Sure, that may have been a factor. Alternatively the WF RPG is overshadowed by the 40k games because 40k is simply the more popular setting.

Hauer Glaeken said:

There are a lot of because in my previous sentence, forgive me. ^^ And concerning Ulthuan, Tilea and so on… Well, if the fluff and the background are great to read, theses areas will become popular. For Sigmar's sake, The High Elves are widely popular on tabletops, on Warhammer Online (actually were…) and I don't see why they would not interest RPG gamers. 

Sure, they'll interest RPG gamers. Yes, they're relatively popular. And there's almost certainly enough interest to justify a supplement for the Elves (less so for Tilea etc). But moreso than the Empire? Had they released Ulthuan as the 'starting' setting I think you would have more complaints from players of older editions than there were over the cards.

#59 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:10 PM

macd21 said:

Yepesnopes said:

Come on!

They knew how much demand there was for continued 2nd edition products… which wasn't much. So they tried something new. They scan the market by looking at sales figures and feedback from distributors and retailers.

older editions than there were over the cards.

I guess that the guy /team that does the market surveillance for the Warhammer line is the same that has decided that this line does not need to release more dice packs.

I know that you have worked for them, and probably you know more about the internal kitchen in FFG than I do. Nontheless, as a customer and long time fan of the warhammer fantasy line I firmly belive that they have followed a poor strategy with this line.

Cheers,

Yepes

#60 macd21

macd21

• Members
  • 888 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:27 PM

Yepesnopes said:

I guess that the guy /team that does the market surveillance for the Warhammer line is the same that has decided that this line does not need to release more dice packs.

Do you really think they believe that "this line does not need to release more dice packs"? They would love to release more dice packs, have dice packs available in every game store, from Amazon etc. But whether or not they produce more dice packs isn't really up to them, it's up to the distributors. There isn't enough demand at present for them to justify another run of the dice.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS