Shooting at Attack Craft with Macroweapons and Lances

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 truedragon5374

truedragon5374

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:42 PM

Are there any official rules for using starship macroweapons and lances to try and shoot down approaching attack craft, particulatily bombers, before they make thier attack runs? Conventional wisdom would dictate that it would be niegh impossible to target agile, 50m long fighters with cannon shells 3 times thier size and that laser weapons and lances would give off energy emissions that even fighters could pick up  and therefore know when to scatter. So i assume that shooting at bombers and assault boats with ship board weapons is pointless but does anyone know otherwise?

#2 Kasatka

Kasatka

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:18 PM

truedragon5374 said:

Are there any official rules for using starship macroweapons and lances to try and shoot down approaching attack craft, particulatily bombers, before they make thier attack runs? Conventional wisdom would dictate that it would be niegh impossible to target agile, 50m long fighters with cannon shells 3 times thier size and that laser weapons and lances would give off energy emissions that even fighters could pick up  and therefore know when to scatter. So i assume that shooting at bombers and assault boats with ship board weapons is pointless but does anyone know otherwise?

You summed it up - only turrets on starships can attempt to intercept strike craft squadrons attacking your ship, and if they stay at range then only your own strike craft can counter them.

Only the insane have strength enough to prosper.

Only those that prosper may truly judge what is sane.

#3 Iku Rex

Iku Rex

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:53 AM

Here's an older post by N0-1_H3r3 on the topic, from this thread: http://www.fantasyfl...6&efidt=466402 

I could have sworn I wrote a rule for that…

Yes… yes I did. There was a sidebar about the matter which must've been cut for some reason.

Obviously, I can't speak for FFG on this one, so this is a houserule unless someone more important than me says otherwise, but here's what my manuscript for my part of that chapter had to say on the matter:

Big Guns, Small Targets

While the guns of fighters and defensive turrets are well-suited to stopping incoming bombers, assault boats and torpedoes, these weapons do have their limitations, namely range. At times, it may be desirable to stop incoming ordnance long before fighters or turrets can deal with it, turning macrobatteries and lances against such small targets.

Firing at torpedoes or attack craft with normal weapons is difficult, so small and quick are the targets, but they can seldom stand up to weapons that tear other starships asunder. Against torpedoes and attack craft, normal weapons suffer an additional –20 penalty to hit. However, every hit caused immediately defeats either a single squadron of attack craft or a single torpedo.

#4 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 6,194 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:28 AM

Iku Rex said:

I could have sworn I wrote a rule for that…

Yes… yes I did. There was a sidebar about the matter which must've been cut for some reason.

Obviously, I can't speak for FFG on this one, so this is a houserule unless someone more important than me says otherwise, but here's what my manuscript for my part of that chapter had to say on the matter:

Big Guns, Small Targets

While the guns of fighters and defensive turrets are well-suited to stopping incoming bombers, assault boats and torpedoes, these weapons do have their limitations, namely range. At times, it may be desirable to stop incoming ordnance long before fighters or turrets can deal with it, turning macrobatteries and lances against such small targets.

Firing at torpedoes or attack craft with normal weapons is difficult, so small and quick are the targets, but they can seldom stand up to weapons that tear other starships asunder. Against torpedoes and attack craft, normal weapons suffer an additional –20 penalty to hit. However, every hit caused immediately defeats either a single squadron of attack craft or a single torpedo.

This makes perfect sense for macrobatteries. I'm a little dubious of a lance sweeping a dozen small craft from space, but it might function more like the beam from the Shadows in B5 than as a single 'pulse' of energy as I had envisioned them.

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#5 Darkheyr

Darkheyr

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:03 PM

Or you could adapt the holofield rules. That would take lances/macrobattery differences into account.

#6 susanbrindle

susanbrindle

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:55 PM

There's an Eldar ship with the specific special feature "This Raider is so small it can actually engage attack craft with its weapons!" which suggests that it's normally impossible.

I'm going to go with the Dev's manuscript here and agree that a significant penalty should do it. Of course, that's a huuuuge nerf to assault craft, but assault craft get brutally good if they can only be stopped by assault craft.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS