• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 gatharion

gatharion

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:05 PM

Pharmboys2013 said:

i think it's safe to assume, especially now, that the dwarf allies of bifur, dwalin, and gloin will retain the same sphere of influence as their hero counterparts. It is a little disappointing to see tactics get shunned again dwarf wise

Which is sort of funny statement seeing as how there are some REALLY good Tactics Dwarf cards. But I totally get what you're saying, it's a little odd we haven't gotten a Tactics Dwarf hero since the core set.

How cool would it be to play a four person game with each player playing a mono-sphere all-dwarf deck? This was the perfect opportunity to make that a possibility. It'll probably be awhile now until we see another card with the word "dwarf" written anywhere on it. :P

#22 Pharmboys2013

Pharmboys2013

• Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:08 PM

good article over on bbg, i think its kind of cool if not unorginial that dwalin, gloin, and bifur all have single use effects dependent on having 5 dwarfs…makes the Bombur hero that much more important too since it'd be somewhat of a waste to play them if you didnt already enough dwarves in play.

kinda wish dwalin being spirit and all would have lowered the players threat when he entered instead of having a lower cost but no big deal; still cool and his 2 DEF would be quite helpful

"His life is charmed, or fate spares him for some other end."

#23 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

• Members
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:28 PM

Attachment:

Thror's Key (Unique, Spirit, 1 cost)
Artifact. Item.

Attach to a hero.

Response: After a location is added to the staging area, attach Thror's Key to that location. While attached to a location, Thror's Key gains: "Treat attached location's printed text box as blank, except for traits."

I love what this will do to Caradhras.  Some people over at BGG were saying this would make it easy to collect the Doors of Durin too (Water in the Water), but attaching this to the Doors would not do anything, right?  You would have to move the Doors into the staging area (Thror's Map, West Road Traveler) to attach it, and then all it would do is remove the ability to collect them at all.  

#24 Ted Sandyman

Ted Sandyman

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:59 PM

Any sign of it on our doorstep yet in the UK??

#25 Pharmboys2013

Pharmboys2013

• Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:11 AM

So now that we have just a boatload of dwarf heroes, who does everyone anticipate they'll be making their decks with? I play a lot of solo and can see good potential with a Thorin, Oin, and Bombur. Gives you access to every sphere and the potential to quickly activate the powers of Thorin and Oin. (Trying to exclude Dain for thematic and originality purposes). 

If I was making two player decks i can see the use of Thorin, Balin, and Ori for deck 1 and Thalin, Oin, and Nori for deck two

Including Dain in the mix probably improves the strength of the decks at the cost of theme since Thorin would probably be the odd leadership hero out but arguably the most important if one is trying to recreate the adventures from the book.

What do you guys think?

#26 jc1138

jc1138

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:23 AM

Yeah, that's the real trick, with Dain being kinda the elephant in the room (imo) when talking about dwarf decks.  Is he necessary?  No.  Does he make your dwarves much better?  Yes.  I like Thorin alright, but it's not as if Leadership didn't have other access to resources, and when you need them most is BEFORE getting to that 5 dwarf threshold, although having additional resources can be good any time. 

#27 Pharmboys2013

Pharmboys2013

• Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:51 AM

jc1138 said:

Yeah, that's the real trick, with Dain being kinda the elephant in the room (imo) when talking about dwarf decks.  Is he necessary?  No.  Does he make your dwarves much better?  Yes.  I like Thorin alright, but it's not as if Leadership didn't have other access to resources, and when you need them most is BEFORE getting to that 5 dwarf threshold, although having additional resources can be good any time. 

All very true; but that's also why my Thorin, Oin, Bombur deck idea is growing on me.  Pull one of the three erebor record keepers that should be in your deck turn 1 and you start getting the xtra resource turn 2. That's huge. Throw in a Navri's belt that you could play turn 2 and paying for things of any color will be a breeze regardless of if you pull steward of gondor. Plus even tho Bombur lacks the card draw perks of Ori as a lore hero, you can easily make up for it with legacy of durin and the new king under the mountain card

#28 jc1138

jc1138

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:59 AM

Yeah, I like how that could work.

#29 Pharmboys2013

Pharmboys2013

• Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:29 AM

made the deck last night after my box came in; works pretty great but i needed some extra questing power in the second quest to get past smaug so i substituted Dain in for Thorin.  Its also pretty satisfying make Bombur a defensive wall.  Throwing in some cheap dunedain signals and giving him a burning brand turn him into an absolute wall.  His high hp is really nice too especially for the flies and spiders quest because he can soak up a lot of poison before going "unconscious".  Another nice little combo i've found with the deck is using Stargazer (despite her lack of theme…or hey maybe she can help them read the moon writing on the map!) with king under the mountain to consistantly draw a good card and discard an unnecessary (or superflous) one.  Having Oin in the deck i was able to run Will of the West too incase i ran through my deck too quickly (whcih i did especially on the first scenario that makes you discard a lot of cards from your deck a la foundations of stone and the nameless things)

i'm planning on posting a new topic later with my observations on all the players cards and quests later today

#30 gatharion

gatharion

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:14 AM

Pharmboys2013 said:

made the deck last night after my box came in; works pretty great but i needed some extra questing power in the second quest to get past smaug so i substituted Dain in for Thorin.  Its also pretty satisfying make Bombur a defensive wall.  Throwing in some cheap dunedain signals and giving him a burning brand turn him into an absolute wall.  His high hp is really nice too especially for the flies and spiders quest because he can soak up a lot of poison before going "unconscious".  Another nice little combo i've found with the deck is using Stargazer (despite her lack of theme…or hey maybe she can help them read the moon writing on the map!) with king under the mountain to consistantly draw a good card and discard an unnecessary (or superflous) one.  Having Oin in the deck i was able to run Will of the West too incase i ran through my deck too quickly (whcih i did especially on the first scenario that makes you discard a lot of cards from your deck a la foundations of stone and the nameless things)

i'm planning on posting a new topic later with my observations on all the players cards and quests later today

I might try out a deck along those lines myself. I like how you can get all four spheres represented in a single Dwarf deck. 

However, I can't try any solo runs through On the Doorstep until my wife and beat them all together. :P

We're trying to play at least mostly thematic and utilize all 13 dwarves. Her deck is Bombur, Ori, & Nori while mine is Thorin, Balin, and Oin.

So far the only time we've beaten Flies and Spiders, it was via accidentally cheating (we didn't discard all of the Baggins resources on beginning Stage three).

I'd like to make the decks stronger, but I'm not sure how without sacrificing some theme. (Thorin or Balin might need to bow-out in favor of Dain.)

#31 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:15 AM

Pharmboys2013 said:

Pharmboys2013 said:

Yes please explain about the quests mechanics and game process.

Is it difficult? Sounds like those quests is more easy then HON….

What you can say about each quests?

thanks a lot

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

#32 gatharion

gatharion

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:22 AM

Glaurung said:

thanks a lot

I've only played Flies and Spiders and it's pretty tough. The bulk of the encounter cards are Spiders with effects that are likely to start doing poison to your characters. Poison occurs when you take damage from an attack. When a character has poison equal to their printed Hit Points then they are unconscious  (unable to collect resources or basically do anything). It wouldn't be so bad, but there's a bunch that will poison you even if they don't make successful attacks and then there start being bonuses and automatic damage against poisoned character. The real kicker though, is when the party gets separated (kinda like the Foundations of Stone quest). The first player has to quest and deal with spiders with only Bilbo, until they're slowly able to get some of their characters back. The other players can't move on from where they are until the first player rejoins them and get an extra spider every turn (two extra spiders if there are four players. This is pretty tough in two player.

While the quest is challenging, I'm sure that I could tailor decks that could handle it pretty well. Using ways to kill the spiders in the staging area for instance would make it a lot easier.

#33 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:18 AM

gatharion said:

Glaurung said:

thanks a lot

I've only played Flies and Spiders and it's pretty tough. The bulk of the encounter cards are Spiders with effects that are likely to start doing poison to your characters. Poison occurs when you take damage from an attack. When a character has poison equal to their printed Hit Points then they are unconscious  (unable to collect resources or basically do anything). It wouldn't be so bad, but there's a bunch that will poison you even if they don't make successful attacks and then there start being bonuses and automatic damage against poisoned character. The real kicker though, is when the party gets separated (kinda like the Foundations of Stone quest). The first player has to quest and deal with spiders with only Bilbo, until they're slowly able to get some of their characters back. The other players can't move on from where they are until the first player rejoins them and get an extra spider every turn (two extra spiders if there are four players. This is pretty tough in two player.

While the quest is challenging, I'm sure that I could tailor decks that could handle it pretty well. Using ways to kill the spiders in the staging area for instance would make it a lot easier.

Thanks for info.

#34 Ted Sandyman

Ted Sandyman

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:59 PM

Attention all uk players, Gamesquest now have it in stock. Just ordered it, cheers ted.

#35 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:14 AM

Ted Sandyman said:

Attention all uk players, Gamesquest now have it in stock. Just ordered it, cheers ted.

RRRRRRRR Lucky Dudes! I hope next week i will get it in Bangkok.

#36 Ted Sandyman

Ted Sandyman

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:54 AM

Hopefully its on its way to your part of the world. Lets see how "Glaurungs Dwarf Deck" gets on against this expansion!!

#37 rekath16

rekath16

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:06 AM

German Translation takes until May -.-

Der Wille war da, aber das Fleisch war schwach.

#38 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:38 PM

Ted Sandyman said:

Hopefully its on its way to your part of the world. Lets see how "Glaurungs Dwarf Deck" gets on against this expansion!!

I sow the first quests of the Box i think Thorin Company migh have a problem with this one.

Will see will see. Still Only when Dain get errata i will be happy. this deck is unfair.

There is was i not so bad idea about Dain errata: Something like: Planing action: Exhaust Dain to make All dwarfs character +1 attack or +1 will power until the end of the round. Choose one and limit once per round.

#39 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:11 PM

Glaurung said:

Ted Sandyman said:

I sow the first quests of the Box i think Thorin Company migh have a problem with this one.

Will see will see. Still Only when Dain get errata i will be happy. this deck is unfair.

There is was i not so bad idea about Dain errata: Something like: Planing action: Exhaust Dain to make All dwarfs character +1 attack or +1 will power until the end of the round. Choose one and limit once per round.

Glaurung: your Thorin deck will own these quests.  My deck (Thorin, Ori &Nori) does ok, but doesn't get the questing power boost from Dain on all the allies in play.  You won't have any trouble.

"I will not be released in the second quarter!" - Nalir the Dwarf

#40 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:11 PM

Bullroarer Took said:

Glaurung said:

Ted Sandyman said:

Glaurung: your Thorin deck will own these quests.  My deck (Thorin, Ori &Nori) does ok, but doesn't get the questing power boost from Dain on all the allies in play.  You won't have any trouble.

Hmmm so Dain is too powerful then….. this guy crying for errata…..

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS