Old Decipher CCG VS New Fantasy Flight LCG

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Jayden

Jayden

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:29 PM

I have seen guys play both, and they had a equal passion for but games, but when it came down to it they love the game play and Art work of the LCG. The game play I know in the first couple of games in LCG is a little  wierd but after the 3rd game everything falls into place.

#22 MasterJediAdam

MasterJediAdam

• Members
  • 662 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:56 PM

In the end they are different games - and I think for a different target player base. If the latter was not true before, it is now, as the game has been out of print for more than a decade.

I can honestly say I really dig the LCG right now, but I think it is because of the "limited" cardpool, the simple mechanics and, of course, that there are people I can play against IRL.

Welcome to the machine!

#23 Darik

Darik

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:02 AM

I, too, used to play the old Decipher Star Wars CCG and I agree with those here who say it is perhaps the best game ever made. It is certainly the best STAR WARS game ever made. Drawing destiny, the way that under the weapon rules the lightsabers truly were not "as clumsy or random as a blaster" because you got to draw two destiny to try and hit something. The thematic momento f drawing destiny to see if your Superlaser fired fromthe Death Star really did destroy a PLANET! And of course, the possiblity of turning Luke to the Dark Side or redeeming Darth Vader also ruled by that ever important destiny draw. 

But, then again, some of those cards LITERALLY involved doing algebra at the gaming table.

See Brainiac: http://www.starwarsc...ge/brainiac.gif

And of course the Commence Primary Ignition card: 

http://www.starwarsc...aryignition.gif

That limits your general appeal, you know? This new game from FFG is great in that it has a Star Wars feel and is easy to play/learn for newbies. I've already signed up for and planned a Star Wars LCG regional at Your Local Game Store in Matthews NC. It is scheduled for April if anyone is in the area and wants to give it a try.

I'll always love the Decipher SW:CCG - but the future is now and there is a new SW card game available to buy and play. It has solid design and is a worthy product to carry on the SW card game legacy (let's not talk about the Wizards of the Coast Star Wars TCG, ok?)

I look forward to many years of fun with the SW:LCG and it's not like my SW:CCG cards have all ceased to exist, right?

#24 JMCB

JMCB

• Members
  • 281 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:20 PM

I've played many CCGs/TCGs and even playtested a few different games, and while I have a special place in my heart for the Star Wars CCG because it was the first game I ever played, it was a very clunky game with a high learning curve, and poor design. A lot of this had to do with trying to keep with the Star Wars flavor. And while it really added to the feel, it made the rules overly complicated, bullet cards had to be added for dominant stratigies, and things at times were not interactive (even to the point where the first few sets had degenerate strategies like Asteroids, cloud decks, etc). It got better with objectives being released, but inherit flaws with the game made the best strategies where you wanted to avoid confrontation, or heavily punished players for trying to be interactive. With that being said, at times the game was the closest you could get to the Star Wars universe in card game form, and can really show the mental abilities of a player.

I actually think the LCG has a good foundation, and the deck building really adds a different approach to the traditional deck building found in other TCGs/LCGs. You have to consider all cards as a group when making deck building choices. And while I find that refreshing, the design of the game has hand advantage working differently in this game compared to other games - holding on to powerful cards is usually a bad idea, and going through your deck is usually the best option because you can get through a bad turn with ease. To me, this is a double edge sword as at times, as some of the challenge is taken away as I don't even have to think about plays and just go into auto-pilot. Also, there's a lot of poker play - winning edge battles is very important and can easily change the fate of the game. I feel as the game evolves, there will be a lot more player choice, and different affiliations will get better cards to make them work more flawlessly.

As it stands, my biggest gripe, in my opinion, is that the Sith is the best affiliation, and it's hard to beat their turtle-style play. They have too much control cards, and some of the biggest defenses and most powerful units. Playing the light side can be a chore. A lot of it has to do with the pod designs - Vader and Emperor pods really have some of the most powerful filler cards, whereas when you look at Yoda/Luke sets they have some of the weakest. I hope as the game gets more cards, this power creep can go towards the light side a bit more.

Top Tier Gaming, a community dedicated to Star Wars: The Card Game - http://toptiergaming.com
Follow us on Twitter - @toptiergaming
Like us on Facebook - facebook.com/toptiergaming
Streaming games on Twitch - twitch.tv/TeamTopTierGaming

#25 Holliday88

Holliday88

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:59 AM

Darik said:

I, too, used to play the old Decipher Star Wars CCG and I agree with those here who say it is perhaps the best game ever made. It is certainly the best STAR WARS game ever made. Drawing destiny, the way that under the weapon rules the lightsabers truly were not "as clumsy or random as a blaster" because you got to draw two destiny to try and hit something. The thematic momento f drawing destiny to see if your Superlaser fired fromthe Death Star really did destroy a PLANET! And of course, the possiblity of turning Luke to the Dark Side or redeeming Darth Vader also ruled by that ever important destiny draw. 

But, then again, some of those cards LITERALLY involved doing algebra at the gaming table.

See Brainiac: http://www.starwarsc...ge/brainiac.gif

And of course the Commence Primary Ignition card: 

http://www.starwarsc...aryignition.gif

That limits your general appeal, you know? This new game from FFG is great in that it has a Star Wars feel and is easy to play/learn for newbies. I've already signed up for and planned a Star Wars LCG regional at Your Local Game Store in Matthews NC. It is scheduled for April if anyone is in the area and wants to give it a try.

I'll always love the Decipher SW:CCG - but the future is now and there is a new SW card game available to buy and play. It has solid design and is a worthy product to carry on the SW card game legacy (let's not talk about the Wizards of the Coast Star Wars TCG, ok?)

I look forward to many years of fun with the SW:LCG and it's not like my SW:CCG cards have all ceased to exist, right?

And you couldn't have had it closer to Raleigh? ;)

North Carolina Facebook Group

Join the resource for connecting players across NC.

#26 Crouton

Crouton

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:24 AM

I also have a special place in my heart for the Star Wars CCG. It was the first CCG I ever played. But ironically, one of the things that I like right now about the LCG over the CCG is also one of biggest negatives for many…the very fact that characters can interact with and fight space vehicles. In the CCG, if one of the players decided to build a vehicile heavy deck and other built a character heavy deck, the play was unexciting and tedious because there was little interaction. And though I never played it, I heard the TCG was even worse with this. I ended up in a lot of games like that and it was brutal.

So far I'm happy with the LCG and I like where this is going. 

#27 Darik

Darik

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:39 AM

Holliday88 said:

Sorry! Maybe next time we can coordinate and we'll all meet somewhere like Greensboro, eh? Here's the deal, you build up a good play group in Raleigh and we'll get one going here in Charlotte and then we can carry over the grudge match to SW:LCG and do East v. West NC in card games, too, LOL!

#28 midnightraintojarjar

midnightraintojarjar

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:18 AM

Everything else being even, I'll always be a little biased towards SWCCG.  It was my first real CCG. 

However, trying to look at things objectively, this game does look pretty promising.  It's a lot more enjoyable then Young Jedi, or the games Wizards tried to put out over the years.  I really won't know how I feel though until I've played more games.  Right now I've only played 5 or 6 games against one person.  So I don't really think I have a great take on the game quite yet. 

I also want to see how things look after the Hoth Cycle and Edge of Darkness.  At that point I think the game will have a pretty large card base and a lot of real deck choices and strategies.  I think it's hard to really know how things will look 10-12 months from now.

#29 jesterhawk

jesterhawk

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:46 PM

Officially, Star Trek CCG was my first CCG followed closely by Star Wars CCG.  My gaming group at the time was very heavy into M:TG and getting them to play was difficult.  Also given where I lived at the time and only one comic shop and the owner was a pain made getting cards hard.  So, I didn't get to play as much as I wanted. 

After them, I bit the bullet and played Magic for a while.  I also played the Babylon 5 CCG, X-Files CCG and Legend of the Fist.  After those I stopped for a bit and worked on creating one.  When I stepped back into the realm, I played the WoTC Star Wars TCG, Pirates of the Caribbean TCG and the first incarnation of Game of Thrones CCG.  Then the people I was playing with moved for jobs and loss of jobs and I was without people to play.

I have just picked this Star Wars LCG and love it.  This past weekend played with several guys here on the forums and had a blast, although I am still learning the cards.

JH

Check out "about{dot}me{/}PRAquilone"

@praquilone

#30 Kaxel Vofer

Kaxel Vofer

• Members
  • 504 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:57 PM

The two games start in very diferent time, so it's totally diferents, some people prefers one, and others prefers the other, but both are good games, greettings.

"That the reward for you, don´t be so high".

Kaxel Vofer.

#31 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:35 AM

cooleo1c said:

Yea… SWCCG is and forever will be the greatest card game ever made. Period.

Have you ever played L5R. Question mark?

"To play a wrong note is insignificant. To play without passion is inexcusable."
– Beethoven

#32 Holliday88

Holliday88

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:47 AM

Darik said:

Holliday88 said:

Sorry! Maybe next time we can coordinate and we'll all meet somewhere like Greensboro, eh? Here's the deal, you build up a good play group in Raleigh and we'll get one going here in Charlotte and then we can carry over the grudge match to SW:LCG and do East v. West NC in card games, too, LOL!

You're on! East NC rules, West NC drools! 

In all seriousness, I expect more SWLCG regional sites next year but if for some reason it doesn't happen, let's coordinate one either in the central part of the state or where the largest player base is (how we figure out where that is, I have no idea.)

North Carolina Facebook Group

Join the resource for connecting players across NC.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS