83 replies to this topic

#21 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 2,769 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:29 AM

Grobb said:

No mention at all of the promised multiplayer content though…

Because it is in The Balance of the Force expansion not this one.

#22 Luminous Quasar

Luminous Quasar

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:31 AM

I will still buy 2 anyway or perhaps 3 .. just to keep one box sealed nicely for collection purposes .. :) 

This deluxe set looks so awesome!!

#23 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 2,769 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:32 AM

sithhappens44142 said:

Nexuhs said:

Uhm, Obi-Wan is a unique card, and therefore you cannot "play" 2x of him… also all of the other Elite cards you mention…

As far as I know, once a unique card gets put into the discard pile, you can bring out that character's card again from the draw pile.

Correct, it is right in the rules that you cannot have two copies of a unique card in play. But once it is in the discard pile it is no longer in play and nothing stops you from playing another one at that point.

#24 TGO

TGO

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:41 AM

I can't wait to play Jabba with Emperor Palpatine in a Sith control deck.  

#25 Grobb

Grobb

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:50 AM

Ah, sorry, because the book says that it will be added in a deluxe expansion in early 2013 I just assumed it was that.  I misremembered the name I guess.

Also, sad face.  But I guess they needed to get the other 2 factions in and solid first.

#26 papy72

papy72

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:16 AM

The "coolness" factor aside, my first impression was something like "WTH, I have to buy two to get a complete playset!?".  it didn't take long before it dawned on me that this isn't really a delux expansion.  It's more like a second starter for the two missing factions. :)

#27 DailyRich

DailyRich

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:48 AM

ziggy2000 said:

Nexuhs said:

All this talk about purchasing extra sets made me think of something and tell me if I'm just crazy because it's a competive card game, but…

I completely understand the idea and stagetic power behind owning 2x core sets, deluxe expansion sets, and even smaller expansion sets for deckbuilding purposes and competitive tournament play… That being said, FFG seem to pride themselves on the "closeness" to the movie battles and events during gameplay and they obviously want to stay true to the franchise so how is for example: playing 2x Obi-Wan cards among others staying with the feel of the franchise.

I can see it for TIE fighters and other standard units like that but for Elite cards such as Yoda, Vader, Paplatine etc I personally think it takes away from the feel of it. Can you appreciate what I mean? or are you all hardcore card players and you gotta do what you gotta do to win haha. Am I alone in this?

Uhm, Obi-Wan is a unique card, and therefore you cannot "play" 2x of him… also all of the other Elite cards you mention…

I think he's referring to being able to play them twice (one gets destroyed and you play another one a few hands later).  Thematically, I look at it more as a retreat than that character being killed.  They flee in the face of overwhelming odds to come back and fight another day.

#28 DailyRich

DailyRich

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:52 AM

By the way, I LOVE some of the thematic things going on with this set.  The blockade runner getting stronger when it attacks alone, representing a lone ship running a blockade.  The Hive of Scum and Villainy objective echoing "No blasters!  No blasters!"  All the fun stuff going on with the capture mechanics.  Really looking forward to this set.

#29 flightmaster101

flightmaster101

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:01 AM

Kiwamu said:

flightmaster101 said:

Kiwamu said:

If my math isn't off, you seem correct (22*5=110) and I guess again two sets are in there a second time (like the core game)… well at least I know how much to order …

22*6=132 (objective cards are still cards)

I knew something was off… well I know now^what it was… besides they pretty much updated their news page and confirmed it…

No worries, this just reminds me of the old AOGT Chapter packs and expansions where you needed 2 to get a 3x/card set for play. 

I think I wouldnt mind buying 2 sets as long as there are no "Only 1 of this objective per deck" objective sets in it.  Otherwise I'm gonna be stuck with an extra 1 only set.

#30 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:11 AM

Nexuhs said:

All this talk about purchasing extra sets made me think of something and tell me if I'm just crazy because it's a competive card game, but…

I completely understand the idea and stagetic power behind owning 2x core sets, deluxe expansion sets, and even smaller expansion sets for deckbuilding purposes and competitive tournament play… That being said, FFG seem to pride themselves on the "closeness" to the movie battles and events during gameplay and they obviously want to stay true to the franchise so how is for example: playing 2x Obi-Wan cards among others staying with the feel of the franchise.

I can see it for TIE fighters and other standard units like that but for Elite cards such as Yoda, Vader, Paplatine etc I personally think it takes away from the feel of it. Can you appreciate what I mean? or are you all hardcore card players and you gotta do what you gotta do to win haha. Am I alone in this?

I can see what you mean, but I think FFG isn't so much concerened with theme with this move. To me it seems more like they want to give the casual player a more traditional game feel with a core set and a few expansions. It seems to me they want to market the big boxes toward casual players and the Force packs toward "hard core" players wihle also enticing "hard core" players to buy multiples of the core and each deluxe expansion.

As for me, though, I really want to compete, but I just want to compete for the fun of it so I can play different people and different decks. So I see myself as somewhere between casual and competitive. However, I still want two of every objective set, not because it helps you win but because it's more fun. For example, there are only 3 DS objectives with Fighter units. If you built a deck with just those 3, you would not be very likely to execute card combos. For me, a lot of the fun of a card game is in getting combos to work. Whether I win or lose, if I was able to pull off something nifty, then it was a good game. That is not as likely to happen when I have 10 different objectives in my deck.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#31 sojo2600

sojo2600

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:31 AM

flightmaster101 said:

Kiwamu said:

flightmaster101 said:

Kiwamu said:

If my math isn't off, you seem correct (22*5=110) and I guess again two sets are in there a second time (like the core game)… well at least I know how much to order …

22*6=132 (objective cards are still cards)

I knew something was off… well I know now^what it was… besides they pretty much updated their news page and confirmed it…

No worries, this just reminds me of the old AOGT Chapter packs and expansions where you needed 2 to get a 3x/card set for play. 

I think I wouldnt mind buying 2 sets as long as there are no "Only 1 of this objective per deck" objective sets in it.  Otherwise I'm gonna be stuck with an extra 1 only set.

So far the only "limit 1" objective sets have been neutral objectives, if I remember correctly.  I'm actually glad to have more than one of these since I generally keep a deck for each affiliation, so that extra objective might be needed.  Obviously that could be an issue once I start keeping 6 decks after this expansion comes out, but hopefully there will not be an objective that I would need in all 3 decks on one side. 

#32 divinityofnumber

divinityofnumber

• Members
  • 530 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:45 AM

Are there actually many people with no aspirations toward competitive play? Are there people who would buy a core set, some chapter packs, and this expansion, and only ever play with others in their own house, etc.? Even if you only play against one other friend, you would want full playsets of things, especially if that friend had them. 

I don't care how many cards are included, I don't care how much it costs, but FFG needs to include full playsets of things, and even 2x of the "limit one per deck" objective sets. Any objective released should be an auto-2x in its package. 

Star Wars LCG: FFG Event Center Store Championship 2014 - Top 4; FFG Event Center Season One 2014 - Minneapolis Regional Game Night - Top 4; May the 4th Be With You 2013 - Second Chance Tournament Champion

A Game of Thrones LCG: Days of Ice and Fire 2013 - Joust Top 16

abUse the Force author on CardGameDB.com

#33 doctormungmung

doctormungmung

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:56 AM

divinityofnumber said:

Are there actually many people with no aspirations toward competitive play? Are there people who would buy a core set, some chapter packs, and this expansion, and only ever play with others in their own house, etc.? Even if you only play against one other friend, you would want full playsets of things, especially if that friend had them. 

I don't care how many cards are included, I don't care how much it costs, but FFG needs to include full playsets of things, and even 2x of the "limit one per deck" objective sets. Any objective released should be an auto-2x in its package. 

So you would be fine paying twice the cost for an expansion with 264 cards?  Or would you rather the expansion have only 12 new objective sets and pay the same price for a full playset?  Personally I'm happy for more cards to create a more diverse game.  Given that, I'll begrudge FFG the flexibility to market this to the more casual gamer.

#34 Bomb

Bomb

Cool Person Club

• Members
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:34 AM

I have to say, I'd personally prefer 132 different cards in one box than 2 different boxes that contain 2x of 66 cards where I'd have to buy both to be able to try every card.  The option to buy 2 of the same box for a full set is great for casual players or competitive players that just want to use 1x of any objective set in the box for their competitive decks.

I assume that 2x of 132 cards would force the box to cost 2x the current price of a deluxe box, so what is the difference?

#35 Rogue 4

Rogue 4

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:41 AM

Wow…..

It is awesome to be excited again about a SW card game. The PC was great for keeping the old game alive, but it became less fun. FF has done a great job promoting this game with all the images, I just hope they make the street date for all these sets. Those that play other LCGs from FF, do they ever delay sets?

#36 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:08 AM

Rogue 4 said:

Wow…..

It is awesome to be excited again about a SW card game. The PC was great for keeping the old game alive, but it became less fun. FF has done a great job promoting this game with all the images, I just hope they make the street date for all these sets. Those that play other LCGs from FF, do they ever delay sets?

Well they've already delayed the Search for Skywalker force pack (and presumably, the other force packs as well).  Initially, they said Desolation of Hoth and Search for Skywalker were q1 and Dark Time was q2.  Now they say Desolation in March (still q1), Skywalker in April (now q2), and Dark Time in May (still q2).  Technically only one of those is outside of the initial release target, but I assume that all of them have been delayed a month from what FFG initially intended.

#37 Traden Myr

Traden Myr

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:16 AM

I have no problem with this distribution. 

1 set gets you 1 of every objective set. If you play competitively, get 2 and that's all you need.

FFG really had no choice but to do it this way. In AGoT, the deluxe boxes are focused on 1 house, which works because all the cards could potentially go in a deck. In Star Wars, they have both light side and dark side, so it wouldn't make sense to expand one side of the force and not the other. This is most similar to some of the early Warhammer: Invasion boxes. They could not do 2x objective sets without reducing the number of unique sets or increasing the price to a point equal or higher to a core set, which they would never do. FFG is providing us more variety, equally expanding the sides, and giving us a reasonable price.

For the completionist buying 2 boxes, it is like purchasing a Scum box and a Smuggler box without waiting months in between. For the casual player / collector, they are getting what they want in 1 box.

Good job FFG!

#38 superradjoe

superradjoe

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:05 AM

Lets be honest, would you really be interested in a set that's just 11 objective sets?

#39 yagyu

yagyu

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:55 AM

sweet bail organa is gonna be in this set

#40 Nexuhs

Nexuhs

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:33 PM

ziggy2000 said:

Yeah sorry, I later that day discovered the line in the rules explaining this, dont know how i miss it but thanks anyway.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS