Give Glory to the Prince of Pleasure!

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#21 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,650 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:45 PM

I'm really curious to see how the social attacks vs. PCs is going to work. I've seen 'social combat' done so poorly that it's thrown aside like AD&D 1e's unarmed combat and psionics rules. I've also seen players that refuse to play in games where their characters can be manipulated by NPCs, so I'm wondering how this will pan out both here on the forums and also in my group.

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#22 BrotharTearer

BrotharTearer

• Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:35 AM

Asoral said:

BrotharTearer said:

Even though the majority of the really good psychic powers aren't Tzeentchian?

Yes, they are a bit like that. To be frank, we have had only two players who have wanted to play a psyker, while the other died quickly and made another archetype so we haven't exactly had a wide selection of psykers.

Altho big T has my favourite combo of Mindscourge + Labyrinthine Conundrum. Awfully long way of proving your superiority by turning your enemy into a blithering moron, but just so a very Tzeentchian way to do things :)

You don't need Mindscourge for Labyrinthine Conundrum to be obscene. That power is just… silly. It's pretty much a guaranteed stunlock until helplessness, and any GM who allows it in its curent state is asking for trouble. ^^ Hell, it doesn't even have Attack as a subtype so you can shoot someone else with your other Half Action in the same turn. Whoever wrote that power must have been high or something. :P

#23 crisaron

crisaron

• Members
  • 858 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:41 AM

I am expecting a blademaster as an archetype, Slaneesh is perfection and a true blade master is not a blood craving frenzied monster but a calculating and cunning oponent.

Like Lucious the Eternal.

#24 Asoral

Asoral

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:04 PM

BrotharTearer said:

Asoral said:

BrotharTearer said:

Even though the majority of the really good psychic powers aren't Tzeentchian?

Yes, they are a bit like that. To be frank, we have had only two players who have wanted to play a psyker, while the other died quickly and made another archetype so we haven't exactly had a wide selection of psykers.

Altho big T has my favourite combo of Mindscourge + Labyrinthine Conundrum. Awfully long way of proving your superiority by turning your enemy into a blithering moron, but just so a very Tzeentchian way to do things :)

You don't need Mindscourge for Labyrinthine Conundrum to be obscene. That power is just… silly. It's pretty much a guaranteed stunlock until helplessness, and any GM who allows it in its curent state is asking for trouble. ^^ Hell, it doesn't even have Attack as a subtype so you can shoot someone else with your other Half Action in the same turn. Whoever wrote that power must have been high or something. :P

To be frank, the one time I played that combo on my players the player shrugged off the Conundrum without Logic skill and intelligence of around 30 on the first turn. He did turn into (even more of a) blithering moron after a few rounds of Mindscourge so my mission was complete :D Ah, havent notice that it doesnt have the Attack subtype, that is indeed a little bit strange. But then again, its not really attacking when you just want to give someone something deep and meaningful to think ;)

#25 51powerski

51powerski

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:15 AM

Chop chop FFG.  Isn't it time for another preview?

#26 Iskarott

Iskarott

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:30 AM

I hope that this serves as a proper boost to social characters. One of the least fun things about Black Crusade is how little is in the books for them. Even the Investigation rules in Tome of Fate didn't really introduce anything new and were more of a "how-to". So I hope that we get good social combat, a system to handle cults and the different kinds of cults, new things to do with lore checks and other skills, and some items/new talents for those who fill such roles. But I understand that FFG has to print what the majority of people want. 

Which from this thread I'm expecting to be lots of new weapons, psyker powers, descriptions of areas, history of Slaanesh, and possibly a small 5-10 page section on social combat/seduction.

#27 Cryhavok

Cryhavok

• Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:07 AM

I also hope they give rules for horde minions

#28 SgtColbert42

SgtColbert42

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:42 PM

So……..anybody with the book want to share some of those archetypes? :D

#29 Plushy

Plushy

• Members
  • 811 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:30 PM

Noise Marine: Good at fighting large quantities of enemies and wrecking things with sonic weapons. Very perceptive. Will see a lot of play.

Dark Apostle: Talks to crowds. Can create zealous followers from friendly NPCs. Social focus. Can build ritual sites. The only Unaligned fella of the four.

Flesh-Shaper of Melancholia: A Haemonculus wannabe. Adds Traits to himself or his spooky Minion.

Pirate Prince of the Ragged Helix: A Rogue Trader for Chaos. Acquires things, pilots ships, and is just wonderful. Starts off with his own voidship. Easily my favorite.

Also in the book: mountains of drugs, sonic weapons, an insane Melta Cannon, fun melee weapons, and lots of other stuff. Good book.

My apologies to anyone I offend; FFG staff, playtesters, and forum users alike. 

Please check out my Dark Heresy to Only War conversion! You can find it on the main Only War forum. I'm always looking for more people to playtest it!

#30 H.B.M.C.

H.B.M.C.

Freelance Writer/Play-Tester

• Members
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:35 PM

Insane Melta flame cannon, thankyouverymuch! reir

And now we have full rules for Curses, which are a type of Ritual. Dark Mirror is nasty.

Plus rules for Sacred Numbers, Dark Patronage and for all your old skool Chaos fans out there, a full 10x10 table for randomly generating Daemonic true names!

BYE

Matt Eustace. Contributing Author Credits: Church of the Damned, The Lathe Worlds, The Lathe Worlds - The Lost Dataslate, Only War Core Rulebook, Hammer of the Emperor, Shield of Humanity, Tome of Fate, Tome of Blood, Tome of Excess and Tome of Decay.

The views expressed in this post are my own. I do not speak for or on behalf of Fantasy Flight Games.

#31 Terraneaux

Terraneaux

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 10:56 AM

H.B.M.C. said:

Insane Melta flame cannon, thankyouverymuch! reir

And now we have full rules for Curses, which are a type of Ritual. Dark Mirror is nasty.

Plus rules for Sacred Numbers, Dark Patronage and for all your old skool Chaos fans out there, a full 10x10 table for randomly generating Daemonic true names!

BYE

Cool!  Are there any parts that you yourself feel responsible enough for to answer some questions?  I'm having trouble getting to the heart of some of the rules items in the book.

#32 Illithidelderbrain

Illithidelderbrain

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:40 PM

Said it in a different post, but it bears repeating:

Word Bearers and Iron Marines have traditionally been Unaligned.

http://wh40k.lexican...es#.Uao8-EC1EUs

Slaanesh has only ever truly had one Legion with offshoots from there.(i.e. Angels of Ecstacy, Flawless Host, etc) 

#33 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,650 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:33 PM

Illithidelderbrain said:

Slaanesh has only ever truly had one Legion with offshoots from there.(i.e. Angels of Ecstacy, Flawless Host, etc) 

While the Word Bearers are typically unaligned, they are thematically fit to the rules added in the Slaanesh book. There is reason the believe that the Iron Warriors (also typically unaligned) will appear in the Nurgle book because of similarly matching themes.

#34 BrianDavion

BrianDavion

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:56 PM

Illithidelderbrain said:

maybe so but if you look at the other 2 books. of the 4 classes you have 2 aligned to the god, and 2 specificly aligned. so the unaligned arguement is irrelevent

#35 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,650 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:37 AM

BrianDavion said:

maybe so but if you look at the other 2 books. of the 4 classes you have 2 aligned to the god, and 2 specificly aligned. so the unaligned arguement is irrelevent

Since the newest one has 3 Slaanesh-aligned and only 1 unaligned, it appears that the sample size was too small for us to have accurately predicted a pattern of 2 aligned and 2 unaligned.

BTW, the Keeper of Secrets looks really nasty. All Greater Daemons are pretty badass, but there's something about this one that just makes it seem even more badass.

#36 Illithidelderbrain

Illithidelderbrain

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:41 AM

BrianDavion said:

Illithidelderbrain said:

Next time try to avoid sounding like a jerk, kay?

#37 Terraneaux

Terraneaux

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:07 PM

Since the newest one has 3 Slaanesh-aligned and only 1 unaligned, it appears that the sample size was too small for us to have accurately predicted a pattern of 2 aligned and 2 unaligned.

OTOH, the Pirate Prince maybe shouldn't have been Slaanesh-aligned.

BTW, the Keeper of Secrets looks really nasty. All Greater Daemons are pretty badass, but there's something about this one that just makes it seem even more badass.

Eh, I'm still primarily scared of the Bloodthirster.  Unevadable attacks are a problem.  

#38 signoftheserpent

signoftheserpent

• Members
  • 715 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:31 AM

Did Tome of Excess get lost at sea or something?

#39 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,650 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:51 AM

It is currently available on shelves in stores of the western USA. I can't personally say beyond that.

#40 Blood Pact

Blood Pact

• Members
  • 841 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:18 PM

signoftheserpent said:

Did Tome of Excess get lost at sea or something?

That eagre to declare that you're not buying the book, or anything from FFG ever again, for the umpteenth time, eh?

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS