Photo

How to deal with trolls in the hobbit expansion?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Cutievalkyrie

Cutievalkyrie

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:20 PM

Trolls are:

1 .Immune to attachment

2. not damagable when in staging area

3. attackable by only 1 character

My question is, how may i kill a def 2/ hp 10 troll with only 1 character?

#2 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

• Members
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:41 AM

His name is Gimli.  He likes axes and riding on eagles.

#3 Captain Poe

Captain Poe

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:11 AM

I used a spirit tactics dwarf deck to easily solo this quest. Using Nori and other threat reduction cards, i was abile to keep myself under the threat of being attacked by all the trolls at once. Use the first phase to build up your allies. If you can manage it right , you should be able to kill the trolls with one attack from an eribor battle master.

I know elrond, Nori, and dain worked well for me. Elrond gives you access to tactics heroes and elrond's council. I did this combo where I would use "We are not idle", lure of moria, and will of the west to generate infinite resources. It kinda breaks the game, so variations on this work well too if you're not looking to basically become invinsible to the encounter deck.

#4 Raven1015

Raven1015

• Members
  • 415 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:41 AM

The above suggestions are good. If you want to go the tricky route, you can also use O Elbereth! Gilthoniel! to send the troll who restricts how many characters can attack to the bottom of the encounter deck. This frees you up to swarm the remaining trolls. If he happens to pop out again later, at least you won't be dealing with all the trolls at once. Alternatively, you can use Elbereth on the troll who prevents attachments, and then you would be able to use Forest Snares.

Check out my LOTR LCG blog: talesfromthecards.wordpress.com

Listen to The Grey Company podcast: greycompanypodcast.wordpress.com

#5 Raven1015

Raven1015

• Members
  • 415 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:42 AM

Actually, the troll you put on the bottom couldn't pop out again, because that would be the last card of the encounter deck and advance you to the next stage! 

Check out my LOTR LCG blog: talesfromthecards.wordpress.com

Listen to The Grey Company podcast: greycompanypodcast.wordpress.com

#6 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

• Members
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:09 AM

Raven1015 said:

Actually, the troll you put on the bottom couldn't pop out again, because that would be the last card of the encounter deck and advance you to the next stage! 

Hah! Clever.  I love it.  

He could still come out if the deck is shuffled (Roast 'Em or Boil 'Em shadow effect, or a player card like Out of the Wild), but that's a neat outside-the-box solution.

#7 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

• Members
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:13 AM

Infighting is also a very useful card in this quest.  And cards like Khazad! Khazad! and Heavy Stroke.

#8 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:36 AM

For me there are two strategies that almost guarantee you success:

1) Damaged Gimli or Erebor Battle Master + Khazad-Khazad (+ Gandalf's ability, if neccessary)

2) Ignore the trolls and try to work your way through the encounter deck as fast as possible; sacrifice some cheap allies to keep the trolls busy

Has anyone tried to use Dúnedain Signal together with Hands Upon the Bow and Khazad-Khazad on a damaged Gimli to clear the trolls when they're still in the staging area?

#9 Marginal0

Marginal0

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:56 AM

I found that it's pretty hard to do with the default decks that the game recommends (base + hobbit).

I succeeded at first, until I realised you can only attack a troll once each round. Woops. Haven't tried for real since then, but I presume it's very hard given the decks. The gimli deck has a bunch of practically worthless cards that offer little interaction. The other deck can make up for it if you have the god hand:

T1: Steward of Gondor into Fili (and obviously Kili) into A Very Good Tale into Galdalf/ That 6cc dwarf can give you a nice start with lots of guys to block the trolls and the trigger on the extra resource.

If the Gimli deck draws well it might even hold off the trolls for a while. You need to be lucky with the encounters though. If you take on two trolls as well (recommended imo, and you often have little choice) you'll take two 'sacks' and with some bad luck (as you can't assign the sacks) 2 heroes might even immediately die. You can try to use Gandalf v1to deal extra damage. Boosting Gimli is the key though, unless you actually have cards from other sets.

#10 Marginal0

Marginal0

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:57 AM

leptokurt said:

Has anyone tried to use Dúnedain Signal together with Hands Upon the Bow and Khazad-Khazad on a damaged Gimli to clear the trolls when they're still in the staging area?

I thought the trolls couldn't be damaged while in the staging area? :P

(edit: sorry, didn't find the edit button at first :) )

As for sending a troll to the bottom of the deck: that's kinda cheap. It's like the first mission where you would just 'pacify' the big spider with an attachment, which was - thankfully - later errata'd. It's hard not to do it if it's right there in front of you. :P

#11 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:47 PM

Marginal0 said:

leptokurt said:

I thought the trolls couldn't be damaged while in the staging area? :P

(edit: sorry, didn't find the edit button at first :) )

As for sending a troll to the bottom of the deck: that's kinda cheap. It's like the first mission where you would just 'pacify' the big spider with an attachment, which was - thankfully - later errata'd. It's hard not to do it if it's right there in front of you. :P

Oops, you're right. Now I remember why I never tried that option!

#12 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

• Members
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:16 PM

Marginal0 said:

It's like the first mission where you would just 'pacify' the big spider with an attachment, which was - thankfully - later errata'd. It's hard not to do it if it's right there in front of you. :P

I think you mean the Nazgul in Escape from Dol Guldur.  Forest Snare is still a legal play on Ungoliant's Spawn.

#13 Marginal0

Marginal0

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:50 AM

That is correct, sorry. :)

#14 Chaos101

Chaos101

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:44 PM

Legolas, Support of the Eagles and Rivendell Blade works well…..

If Vassell of the Winglord is in play, then Legolas can hit with 6 and the troll gets -2 defence.

A troll is dead in 3 rounds…. If you can get Dunedain Mark on Legolas as well, then he can be dead in 2.

However, the one flaw in this plan is the shadow card that makes you discard all attacments…. which happened to us….. twice!! Bummer!

It's not the fall that kills you.... it's hitting the ground at the end!

#15 Nerdmeister

Nerdmeister

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:46 PM

leptokurt said:

Well just a minor point but:

Type: Attachment
Sphere: Leadership Cost: 1
Signal.
Attach to a hero.
Attached hero gains sentinel.
Action: Pay 1 resource from attached hero's pool to attach Dunedain Signal to another hero.

I´m sure you meant Dúnedain Cache for this combo ;):

Sphere: Leadership Cost: 2
Item.
Attach to a hero.
Attached hero gains ranged.
Action: Pay 1 resource from attached hero's pool to attach Dunedain Cache to another hero.

#16 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:41 PM

Nerdmeister said:

leptokurt said:

Well just a minor point but:

Sphere: Leadership Cost: 1
Signal.
Attach to a hero.
Attached hero gains sentinel.
Action: Pay 1 resource from attached hero's pool to attach Dunedain Signal to another hero.

I´m sure you meant Dúnedain Cache for this combo ;):

Sphere: Leadership Cost: 2
Item.
Attach to a hero.
Attached hero gains ranged.
Action: Pay 1 resource from attached hero's pool to attach Dunedain Cache to another hero.

You're right. I did a wrong translation.

I just tried out another idea (against Peril in Pelargir) which might also work against the trolls. It's a bit more complicated and requires a special deck building.

The idea is to have two tactics heros. One for the kills (Legolas or Hama) and one for questing (Gimli, Thalin, Elladan) or defending (Beregond). The third hero has to be from the lore sphere. In the troll scenario Loragorn is the prefect choice, as he will lower your threat level just before you encounter  the trolls. While playing the game your questing/defending tactics hero will built up his ATT by attaching Keepig Count to both tactics heroes. Needless to say that this deck should include three copies of Master of the Forge and Daeron's Runes to get these attachments in time (which is why the third hero has to have the lore icon). Gleowine is also very helpful to make this deck work.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS