The Ongoing Pain of Ithilien!

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Rainelotr

Rainelotr

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:12 PM

Yeah this is actually the reason I joined the forum. I wanted to rage against the utter ridiculousness that is Watcher In the Woods in a 3-4 player game. You think 13 threat is a bad number. Try roughly double that... or MORE in group playing an Outlands/Elrond Deck + another doing a Dwarf deck.

I love all these quests but frankly I STILL Haven't played a single of the new quests in the current cycle because my group has yet to create decks that can consistently beat Into Ithilien. 

I would label it all the same things as Rekath... but also add Humbling on to the list. It really makes me rethink every deck I have ever made.

Anyway...

Pharmboys2013 said:

Literally beat this quest yesterday (albeit on my second try) solo using a very similar version of Galarung's "Thorin and company" deck

I have to say, "hardy leadership" is so necessary to avoid the destruction of cheap allies from blocking wargs.  Everything else is managible 

Hardy leadership so powerfull and neccesery card for dwarfs deck. 

Really important one! Without this card many scenarious can be much more harder!

Still, Thotin company deck is broken! Should to get some errata!

Glaurung... you are errata-happy. I saw you posting on Tales From the Cards that you thought the Warden of Healing should be errata'd too. Chill mate :) Hahaha

Edited by Rainelotr, 26 August 2013 - 04:13 PM.

#22 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,816 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:16 PM

I love all these quests but frankly I STILL Haven't played a single of the new quests in the current cycle because my group has yet to create decks that can consistently beat Into Ithilien. 

i made a secrecy deck that could beat ithillien consistently. theodred, glorfindel, bifur. the key is to mulligan for timely aid, get someone like gildor or haldir out in round 1 for pretty much nothing, play risk some light for nothing to manipulate the encounter deck so you can clear that first location first round

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#23 Rainelotr

Rainelotr

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:25 PM

That sounds pretty cool. I'm thinking of modifying my current Ladies of Gondor/Rohan/palantir deck to include Glorfindel (the more powerful but less thematic choice in an all blue deck) and going in swinging with that secrecy style attempt and see what happens.

I love playing trisphere decks but they take much more planning than ye simply mono or bisphere choices... Theodred + Bifur are actually excellent choices to approach this problem. I will try that sometime soon. Thanks for the suggestion Rich!

• richsabre likes this

#24 Ithilien Ranger

Ithilien Ranger

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:29 AM

Hopefully the following will help at least in solitaire play:

I find clearing Ithilien Road on turn once crucial in this quest. The one hero combination against Into Ithilien I have fared well with consists of Lore Aragorn, Spirit Glorfindel and Beorn (4 wins, 1 loss). If you send all three into the quest, you are pretty much guaranteed to clear the road:

13 quest power (Aragorn 3, Glorfindel 3, Beorn 5, Celador 2) vs. 3 threat (Southron Company), 4 quest points and a maximum of 4 threat from another Ithilien Road or the Mumak. 

If you happen to draw Haradrim Elite or Morgul Spider, Beorn will survive any undefended attack. By round two, you have six resources to get some help (e.g. Ithilien Tracker in this enemy-heavy quest, Ranger Spikes, Tactics defenders, Asfaloth for the  next time Ithilien Road shows up and the typical array of excellent cards well-known in the three spheres).

Keep in mind that this is the worst possible outcome and does not account for helpful 1-cost cards you might have on your hand for the first turn.

The great thing about Aragorn is that you can reset your threat for the final quest stage if you prefer to avoid Siege (it might actually be easier given the access to multiple Defenders of Rammas and Winged Guardians).

#25 Rainelotr

Rainelotr

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:25 AM

That makes a lot of sense. My problem is though I have started to enjoy a game of solitaire here and there, I still primarily play 3 player, with 2 and 4 player games scattered in for good measure.

Edited by Rainelotr, 27 August 2013 - 07:25 AM.

#26 Kcall07

Kcall07

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:25 AM

I'm sure everyone does, but just remember to take in account the errata for blocking wargs in the FAQ. It makes such a difference.
No man knows what the new day will bring

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS