Next Expansion for Talisman

• Please log in to reply
186 replies to this topic

#61 Dirach

Dirach

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:37 AM

The only big consepts missing is the "forest" from 3rd edition and Time scape. Thing like the master thief and arch mage titles in the previous city expantions seem to be gone but will most likely not return.

Of the unreleased characters you have:

Timescape:

Spacemarine.

Archeologist

Scientist

Astropath

Chainsaw warrior

Cyborg

Space Pirate

FFG seem to avoid the other culture characters found in 2nd edition, so I don´t expect to see:

Martial Artist

Ninja

Pirate

Samurai

Saracen

Zulu

Witch doctor

The rest are:

Hobgoblin: Don´t think hobgoblins are modern enough to be included.

Orc:

Inquisitor: Perhaps not political correct enough.

Pilgrim

Satyr

Scout

Centaur

Ranger

Soldier

Barbarian

Swordsman

Woodsman

Warrior of chaos: Too Games Workshop but I guess the Dark cultist are the replacement.

Halfling:

Dragon Slayer: Too GW but replaced by the dragon hunter.

Dark elf: Too GW

Then there are the 3rd edition characters:

Witch elf: Too GW

Goblin fanatic: Too GW

Skaven: Too GW

Beastman: Too GW

Chaos Dwarf: Too GW

Astronomer: Was really a replacement for the prophetess so it is really included.

So there are many that will not be released, and some may have returned under new names. I only feel that the forest themed are characters that would fit the setting.

#62 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 649 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:23 PM

That's a really big list. Thanks for taking the time and trouble to do it.  At this rate they'll never get all those characters in. What think?

#63 Dirach

Dirach

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:33 AM

I don´t think FFG have the ambition to release all characters. Many are exclusive to the current edition, so FFG also want to make thier own stuff. Many of the new characters can indeed be inspired by older chracters. So many can have been reprinted with out me knowing.

Of those not reprinted I guess these are the most likely. Some of these are quite similar, so I guess we don´t see both Ranger and scout and soldier and swordsman. Barbarian is a must, and I would be surprised if he isn´t re-released.

Orc:

Pilgrim

Satyr

Scout

Centaur

Ranger

Soldier

Barbarian

Swordsman

Woodsman

#64 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:06 AM

When I look back at the time periods between expansions, it seems that generally they are about 6 months apart, maybe a little longer. Blood Moon came out in May 2012 and The City was in January of this year, so it can be more than every 6 months.

I wouldn't worry too much about the time elapsed since the last announcement. Since FFG got Talisman they have been releasing more and more new games and I guess that time available for development has to be spread a little more thinly between properties.

There have been a few more news posts in the last week or so about other games and it would be good to remember that next month brings Gen Con which is where FFG announces most things at the annual Flight Report.

Harbourmaster at Talisman Island - 15 magical years and counting!

Sometimes I even update the Talisman Island Facebook Page!

#65 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 649 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:03 AM

Thank you for that information and your gentle response, in general. Sadly I am not the person who might be able to play or be interested in other games; my only co-player is my wife - I can't seem to get any friends interested in playing games of this sort.

In general, I'm the kind of person who mostly has one favorite in any particular activity, I don't watch many tv shows, rent netflix, etc. etc. I don't really seem to have a lot of time for more than a couple of past times. I commute over 2 hours each day and have some other occasional activities like exercise and some volunteer stuff.

So I'm stuck with living some vicarious 'fantasy' RPG through Talisman, but I enjoy it very much. I believe that I can get my grand daughter, 7 now, more interested as she matures. She's such a good reader now and likes the gentle fantasy aspects of unicorns and fairies and such. We've actually played a real simplified version once or twice.

ummm, getting off topic there, but I remain a loyal Talisman fan with enough time to keep pondering the next expansion. It's fun for me to babble like this, but basically I'll take any gossip or info I can get!

• Captain Clegg likes this

#66 BatHead

BatHead

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:55 AM

Oberon, you may want to consider looking into Talisman : The Digital Edition when it comes out for those times when your wife is busy doing other stuff. Although I would prefer playing the actual board game with other people (so I could show off my nicely painted minis), in my current situation, that ain't happening, and the DE seems to be a good faithful adaptation of the 4th edition boardgame and a decent alternative.

Edited by BatHead, 04 July 2013 - 09:56 AM.

• 0beron likes this

#67 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 649 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 06:33 PM

Thanks. I figure I will be getting into that at some point.

#68 magicrealm

magicrealm

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:06 AM

i just want to get the forrest this year and im happy, because then the 4 Corners are there and the game is "finished". they can Experiment with new and different Content afterwards, but i want my classic Talisman.

i have thrown a lot in the garbage, a lot.

#69 Foreshadow

Foreshadow

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:39 PM

NO, Don't ruin this game by making the fourth corner something like Timescape. Instead the logical and obvious choice is the Forest. Yes it could be the Village but the way the corners are designed the best choice is the Forest. That means a few things:

1) it probably would introduce 6 forest based characters, but not necessarily. My guess is we get something like the centaur and satyr but they could be something else. We also might se a Ranger. Here's a great idea an Ent (or Treant) character. Another type of fae would be nice, perhaps the satyr, but how about one as Seelie and one as Unseelie so an 'evil fae' and another fae type such as the Satyr, or some other type. There are plenty of fae types to choose from. The designers should do some research.

If a timescape type tie in is done, then it is BEST done as a small expansion. You could take characters from the Relic, and then have sometype of Space-Time portal or something. This whole idea though needs some real thought.

Plus only those who want to go down that Relic route would be interested, or it could drum up more interest in Relic.

What I think makes a better small talisman expansion is more higher strength/craft monsters, elements, etc., more magic items and other things to expand the other existing expansions. For example, you could include like 6 dungeon, 6 highland, 6 city cards.  Another great place is the Graveyard and something like the Lich King, much like the Frostmarch in design but with an undead Crypt/underworld vibe. You could introduce things like the Dark Elf if you wanted, or other 'dark' race. I like Illithid so having a great Mindflayer would be great.

#70 Foreshadow

Foreshadow

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:44 PM

Someone mentioned the Orient. That would be a nice small expansion, and obviously the Samurai, Ninja and Shaolin Monk characters. What other characters could there be, how about a Wu Jen sorcerer or a Confucian Law Inquistor type, call him a Confucian Scholar or something. A Geisha, Sumo, Courisan. Lots of choices. Plus you could do a Pirate as a link, or a Saracen. Keep in mind Oriental means Near-East as much as the Far East. So Orient could be a blending. I know its obvious but people from Indian/Pakistan and Burma and such are just as much Asians as Chinese, though we don't like to use that term. In other words, we could have a great Indian character, that's something never done before, or a Naga, that would be nice.

#71 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 649 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:21 PM

I get so confused trying to decide what I want in future expansions - - especially the final corner board.

I recently thought that if the poster who indicated his own language translators gave a slight hint - it would be different and/or unexpected to what we mostly thought - was mostly right, well - what are the possible ideas.

I look at the board and see, spaces that are called "The Forest" and "The Woods". Unlike the City space and it's corner expansion, named "The City", perhaps, the 4th board would not be Forest or Woods, though maybe "Woodlands".

But what if it was ... a Valley?  A valley that has Woods spaces, Forest space (maybe 2), plus hills, fields and maybe other 'spaces' that already appear on other boards; tunnels, caves, canyons, ravines, etc.

Just a thought. 

But in other thoughts, I could see the 4th board being a quasi hybrid of Village and Woods/Forest. As the Dungeon and the Highlands have an evil twin kind of vibe between them.  

Perhaps the City's evil twin is the Village.  In the City, you need gold, which doesn't come too hard or too easy, in a way.  And everything, everything, really does cost a bit.

But what if in the Village, it is more important to trade, cooperate, to achieve leveling and magic or other items?

Other potential 'spaces' could be:

Gypsy Camp (Fate/Healing access?) The Village Witch (Toad, for sure, but maybe something else?), Wishing Well (lots of ground to cover), Farm ? (similar to temple, as in "involuntary servitude").

As for the Woodsy kind of spaces this hybrid board could have, Waterfalls, whirlpools or ponds, "A forgotten trail" (potential to lead to other boards or spaces.

**** I'm also thinking of a small expansion with a traveling (evil) Circus...  Circus of Fate, or whatever.  The idea here, and I've sorta mentioned this before, is to create a mechanic that doesn't add so many new adventure cards to the set, but perhaps finds a new way to draw/cycle through more cards.

#72 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:08 AM

Light fate & Dark fate - I hope it's introduced in the next expansion!

Ell.

#73 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 649 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:31 AM

To me the idea "behind" Fate, both Dark and Light, is the concept of Chaos vs Order.

Technically, there is nothing that addresses, Chaos or Order, as a Character or Non-character's personality or other attribute.

However, upon reflection, some of the game's mechanics around the use of Fate could be seen as the forces of Chaos and Order.

When a character pays Fate to re-roll their movement die or their attack die roll, it could be seen as an 'Orderly fashion, since they are "hoping"/praying , etc, that 'Fate' would allow them to 1) move further, or 2) Attack stronger (or whatever the result is actually hoped for). This means the character could actually do those things; move farther, fight harder. It CAN happen. It is orderly that it CAN happen.

But when a character pays Fate to re-roll anything else, a space or card encounter that requires one or more dice to be rolled, this effect / result could be seen as random/chaotic: The Witch or Enchantress 'wanted' to change you into a Toad, but some force stopped that and made something better happen.

So an expansion on the idea of Dark and Light Fate would possibly have the tracking of your use of either, per the above ideas. When some critical mass is reached; 3, 5, or whatever Light/Dark fate being paid, some other effect happens.

In my idea the threshold of Dark fate being reached would have the Player to the left of the "reacher" being able to take the 5 top cards of any Encounter deck ; Dragon, Highlands, Adventure, etc. and selecting any one card to play against the offending player.

For the threshold of Light Fate, the player themself would be able to encounter the card of their choice from the 5 drawn cards.

I suppose there would be other ways of interpreting the use or idea of Dark and Light Fate.

#74 Foreshadow

Foreshadow

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 06:58 PM

Oberon there is the Hidden Valley on the middle level. That too might be good for the fourth corner, and it shows Dinosaurs so....yes you can have a T-rex, and a Land of the Lost vibe, including a portal card to Relic if you want, and a character like Will Marshal and Followers Hollie and the other dude on that show. But ignoring the land of the lost idea the Hidden Valley could be a good expansion. It would be a good small expansion too. I would want some Stygian race like serpent men added and ancient evil spells.

#75 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 649 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:23 PM

I forgot about the Hidden Valley, thanks.  So it does seem like they would not use that name/concept for the 4th board. But that also means that maybe, they wouldn't use the name of a 'space' like Village, or Forest, either for a 4th board name and concept.

The Dungeon is not a space itself, but the board of types of Dungeon spaces. The Highlands is the same, not a space on a board.

So perhaps FFG has a different name and concept for the 4th board, that is not named after 'Village' or 'Forest'.

Earlier someone had used the name, 'Woodlands'; I might have myself. 

I guess I would be happy if there were Forest and also Woods spaces in the final board and think they should have the same, if not similar qualities as the main board.

Beyond that other names for spaces on the board should be like:

Hills (already in 2 board expansions)

Fields  (Main board)

Meadows? * Forest Trail (a roll for different movements, back and forth)  * Clearing, as in Forest Clearing (Draw multiple cards).

Ancient Forest * Dark Forests * Secret/Unknown Forest *  Well, these are a few thoughts on space names

Fairy Circles ?  Elfhame, Elf/Fairy Kingdom?  These might be more than a draw card space

Although I like the City's wharf and the access back to the main board, I'd like to see a stream or part of the River that *runs* through a board too, facilitating travel in the 4th board, the way the wharf does for the main board.

#76 Foreshadow

Foreshadow

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:29 AM

Well, then how about The Woodlands, as that would be forest and woods.

#77 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 649 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:03 PM

Well, then how about The Woodlands, as that would be forest and woods.

I'll be very happy if it is Woodlands or a board favoring forests and woods.  I'd like more magical themes and encounters. If there is a board "boss", I'd like something different like a female magic user, a Wicked Witch of all type.

If a small expansion set is coming before the final board, wouldn't it be nice if it started having more connections or continuity with all the previous expansions?

#78 skolman

skolman

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:46 AM

Has anyone thought about a steampunk expansion as the next small expansion?

It might include a "time traveller" or "planeswalker" or some kind of "battle droid" as a follower and would fit better to the game than a timescape....

The next large one will be the woulds I guess since FFG sticks to the original expansions. 

Allthough i would vote for a sea or island and/or underwater (!) board!!!

greetings,

skolman

#79 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 649 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:57 AM

Steampunk objects , characters or concepts might work in smaller doses.  I'm not expert but steampuck being "almost" modern era still grinds a little against Medieval type fantasy. 

I do think that a small expansion is a way to explore that, of course.

I am wondering if FFG would save the Timescape for the very very VERY last set, and once again a board that doesn't go on a corner, but either on the side (more square space needed on surface!) or yet another replacement board for the inner realm.

In fact, maybe the only way that the Timescape or it's highlights/dynamics could return to Talisman would be as an alt Inner realm. 

The inner realm's movement norms would work for a new scope TS, perhaps.

At that point it truly represents an alternate end scenario, though. It may not be for everyone...

#80 Nemomon

Nemomon

• Members
  • 788 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:05 AM

I am wondering if FFG would save the Timescape for the very very VERY last set

The next expansion MUST be the Timescape, or I will quit playing Talisman. I don't care about the Relic, Talisman must have its own Timescape!

The idea of it as a centre board is good. But I don't want it to be a late game board. In the 2nd Edition it worked as a starting board - either character received helpful cards, or died.

Edited by Nemomon, 18 July 2013 - 03:49 PM.

Enter the Talisman Island!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS