Next Expansion for Talisman

• Please log in to reply
186 replies to this topic

#41 Graverobber

Graverobber

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:57 PM

Just to be clear, the thing I really want to see is the sea in some form, and it seems like lots of people have mentioned that. I was so stoked to see the docks in the City expansion, but it's just left me wanting more…

#42 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 501 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 01:00 AM

I think you're right GR, that many people would favor some water-based adventures.  But I also think that such a board or concpet presents a challenge coming to market, as they say.  So I wouldn't say they will never do it.

On the other hand, D and D type adventures are more often land based.  But perhaps we'll see at least some more water - swamps, lakes, and island of some sort, in the future.

#43 Triakor

Triakor

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:35 AM

I would prefer to see some kind of water based expansion for the next board.

#44 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 501 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:29 AM

I've recently thought of a new/er idea for the final board expansion.  Instead of just a woodlands, or just a Death-realm or ?

How about   "The Netherwoods" a deep and dark foresty area, maybe some watery pools or streams, but all in all, it must be as dark and scarey/dangerous as the Dungeon can be.

And… It is always Night in the Netherwoods.   So, just as Warlock/quest rewards has evolved through more than 1 expansion, the concept of Night comes to another expansion set, but with a difference.

In the Netherwoods, all enemy encounters are +1, ALL THE TIME.  Even if you play with the Blood Moon expansion, any event that would turn the day/night counter back to day, Night will remain on the Netherwoods board. Ignore all attempts to make day.  Now as with any expansion board, there is its' own set of cards, the event cards in this set 'could' trigger the rest of the game to set to Day (if you 're using Blood Moon), but that effect doesnt' occur for the Netherwoods.

Magickal beings and use should be heightened to the utmost, keeping the balance as slight as possible.

Since such woods are home to varying tribes of elves, dwarfs and others, perhaps there are warring factions who may have opportunities to abduct you - or followers and you have to barter or battle for freedom? Think Elf-tribe, like Night Watch, or other 'group' of enemy cards.

I'd like to see other types of enchanted or cursed beasts.  Were-tigers?

Of course I also think that the woods of Nether should be home to at least one more vampire - maybe a female one this time?

I'd like one space to be some sort of haunted mansion… or crypt.    I've heard others' ideas about the Old Wizard who started all this, coming back from the dead.   Perhaps his hidden crypt is in these Nether Woods and certain objects or spells can help you plunder his treasure - - or accidentally re-animate him?

• nodgenesor likes this

#45 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 501 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 10:18 AM

Well, it is now June 1st.   Uno de Junio!

Since it is about 6 months since the previous expansion, the City, we should hear soon some news about the next expansion.

I'm hoping someone knows something, anything, for I believe whatever kind of set, …. final corner board expanson or small expansion, 

it should come out by late Fall, maybe in November as Holiday shopping begins.

So, last call for any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, speculations, spoilers or whatever.

#46 Foreshadow

Foreshadow

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 10:48 AM

You realize that FFG created Relic, a talisman like and another GW based game and a timescape would literally be a bridge between the games. Many won't like that idea but now that both games exist, it is a natural, obvious, and potenitally seemless idea for those who might own both and thus be interested, OR if you got it you might buy Relic so the idea might generate sells of said other game.

Make it a small box with talisman cards that open up opportunities to travel to Relic board. If you need characters, its called the characters already in Relic and you need rules governing their use in Talisman. You can do the same for adding cards to Talisman from Relic and thus use Talisman characters in Relic.

Your welcome for stating this naturally obvious idea.

#47 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:43 AM

I would skip that expansion.

+1 for The Sea… maybe with some kind of crazy island at the end!

IV  V  VI  I  III  II

#48 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 501 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:56 AM

I like the concept you invoke; I was never a hater of the 2nd edition Timescape.  And I'm aware of Relic and its similarities to Talisman, but I have no friends that share this interest, even back in the '80s. I only play with my wife and she hated Timescape, rarely went by her own will or decision, so this would probably not be something I could convince her to "add on"".

Having said that, she has been pretty adaptable to the few house rules we've devised - as mentioned before, mostly concerning the use of the Dragon set.

So we're sorta both completeists, in that sense. We want to be able to use all legitamate expansions. I'm often curious and admiring of Home Brews, but could not see us doing that, unless they became official expansions or parts.

Well, gotta get along, and together, we're more a stickler for official use, save what I said about Dragons. 

As I think about any small sets, one that could come before the 4th corner board expansion, my feeling is that rather than add to the existing Adventure/Main encounter deck, with many/more cards, wouldn't it be more interesting to create or enhance a game dynamic that allows more of the existing cards to be played, or at least gone through.

So I keep working on an idea for the Fate tokens to represent the forces of Chaos and Order and how that could cause more Adventure cards to be drawn, plus an additional new "random" mechanic.

Fate tokens are using in 3 ways, 1) to reroll a movement die, 2) to reroll an attack die, and 3 to reroll a space or card's instructions for die roll.

Let's consider that 1 and 2 may represent Fate in the sake of order; that Fate allows you to travel further or attack harder. Let's consider that 3, to reroll per a space or card's directions could represent more randomness; ie; Chaos.

Players must track their use of Fate. If you use Fate for 1 or 2, leave the token in your playing area, Light side up, for Order. If you use the Fate for 3, leave the token in your area with the Dark side up. At the beginning of a player's turn, if they have 3 of either color, if it is Light sided tokens, the player can draw I'll suggest) 5 cards and keep/encounter any one of the following; object/magic object, follower, stranger. Discard all other cards; ie; events, enemies or strangers you don't want to encoutner, etc.  If, however, the Dark Tokens number 3, the Player to the left of that Player will draw the 5 cards from the Adventure deck. They can place 1 object, follower Stranger, etc - including enemies and events, face-down on any space in any Region., again discarding all other cards. And of course once this happens, the collected tokens are returned to the general pile and you start over.

That's basically it, and as you can see, this actually needs no expansion; one could actually home brew it as an option. So what's the point?.

Well, maybe a little tinkering could provide some higher stakes represented by 2 (or more) new smaller decks of "Dark Gifts" and "Light Gifts". An option or mechanic that allows a Player to align with Chaos or Order (like good-evil-neutral, I suppose) and thereby have an option to collect up to 5 dark or light tokens. You exchange the tokens for either of the appropriate gifts. These could be either or a combination of nifty new treasure like objects or even gifts, qualities, additions to levels that the Warlock Quest Reward cards provide.

New player characters for this set could include a Chaos priest and and similar 'alternate' characters we have. Their special abilities could involve ways to gain or play extra Fate, or to possibly avoid the random chaos that might come their way.

And of course Alt endings would possibly have players either 'selecting' the ending they want (order), having to pull a random new one, or…

if another player has more dark or more light tokens than the one that lands on the CoC first, perhaps something great or nasty could happen.

Well, I'm a little vague on the latter details, the main ideas are tracking use of dark/light Fate and getting to draw more cards from the Adventure deck. Perhaps options for other decks could be brought in (if a new Lord is crowned at the beginning of a Player's turn who is exchanging 3 tokens, Player/Player to the left has the option to draw from that Dragon Lord's deck?)

#49 archon77

archon77

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:04 PM

If I'm not mistaken timescape was a oval shaped board that was put off to the side and wasn't connected to the main board at all. I hope it comes out eventually but there is still a corner to go. I would put my money on Forrest like most people. And the idea of mini boards to go between the corner boards would be a rather nice touch added to the game.i could see a mini board cemetery or haunted house maybe. And the other side a small beach board that could be used as an entrance to another off the side board for an ocean or a small castle  might be fun

thats just my 2 cents though 

#50 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 501 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:12 PM

I too hope they have "boardlets" between the corner boards. A cemetary would be great.

#51 Czev

Czev

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:01 AM

There's a great deal of good ideas being brought out, and if FFG listens like I'm guessing they do hopefully we'll see some come out.  There's also the possibility of future expansions being endings decks where it's a small batch extension of say 5-10 alternate endings, other small batch expansions could include the ability to add 1 or 2 new FFG characters to the game, small batch encounter or item cards would be another nice idea.  You've got people who are complaining that there aren't orc's, not enough skeletons, etc….In the end these would be easier addons, and some of them could be done through Print on Demand to keep the overhead low for FFG.  I'd recommend that they make the Print on Demand items available to retailers at the normal wholesale rates as there are people who would rather support their local game shops and get the merchandise right then and there then having to order it and wait.  Just a few additional thoughts, altho I have to say, I like the term Boardlet……

Czev

Yes ladies and gents, I really am highly concentrated WTF!!!!!!

#52 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 501 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 03:33 AM

I like your ideas for the "add ons"" and see possible value in having more alt endings, or even possible sequels to an existing meme:

How about "The Fourth Dragon", where a more powerful Dragon shows up and has his own agenda against the vying Lords?

In the same vein as adding on encounters that some are missing - the orcs, in particular, why not add on more/stranger NPCs?

I've wanted to see a more mystic presence, perhaps in having 2 or 3 'Pantheons' of Gods - let's say, Greek-Roman, Egytian, Norse. Whenever, however they are invoked - perhaps something other than a die roll, like any/certain event card plays, or landing on a particular main board space (Woods, Ruins, Cursed Glade, etc) - these guys would contribute new effects, treasures, weapons etc. Or you could go with the Lords of Chaos and Order with repercussions for the use of FATE?

As for "boardlets", well I've thought, posted, commented etc on what these could be. Some make more sense than others. One that may not would be an enhanced "Desert" mini-board, placed between the City and Dungeon corners. The idea is you can only enter from the Oasis in the Middle region (move to the boardlet on your turn after landing there). Maybe an add on that the possessor of a Magic Carpet could fly there from any region (sorta teleportation, actually) but would have to discard the carpet upon arrival.  There are a number of great fantasy themes around Desert cultures; Djinn, etc.  Treasure! But of course! Perhaps another back-door way of getting to the Inner Region (but not too easy)

Which reminds me, there are a number of "natural" ideas that connect the Regions, that may or may not become canon, but I can dream? Perhaps the owning of a special device, skill, etc would allow you to traverse from the mines in the Highlands to the mines in the Inner Region?

#53 Silverhelm

Silverhelm

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:10 AM

I'd like to see another corner exspansion since there's three already. But I'd like to see instead of a space exspansion is a completely separate board from main board but with a chapel & graveyard theme. This place should have good and bad spaces as well as events for different  alignment characters(including neutral). Example neutral player lands or gets a card that says Event: all players who lack faith loose 2 life (neutral players loose 2 life). I think each exspansion for this game should effect all players even if there on main board (almost all the time) to make the game feel like its one big board game. The goal of each exspansion shouldn't be getting loot but perhaps to get a chance to hinder other players on any other place on the other boards( to slow,hinder, or even kill) with the possibility of getting a reward and getting ahead. I also had an idea that each exspansion should have a specific theme example: one exspansion should be alignment focused,another rich player focused, another spell focused,weapons and arms focused. Since this games about risk taking and luck depending on how your cherector is growing( and sometimes you don't get to choose) dictates what board you travel to. Mostly I just want there to be a strategic reason to going to another board as your character grows. 

#54 Dirach

Dirach

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:24 AM

As they have followed the expansions for the previous editions of Talisman I guess the last corner will be the Forest as this and Timescape is the only ones that remains. I don't think Timescape will be reprinted, but it wasn't in a corner anyway. I also noticed that many of the forest themed characters remains unpublished like the ranger, Faun, Centaur and Woodsman.

#55 magicrealm

magicrealm

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:02 AM

agree on dirach. i know from my translators ( i cant tell you the language, otherwise they might get trouble ) that the 4rth corner is known, but secret. they said " maybe its something very different" . i answered if its anything other then the forrest i throw my complete talisman into the garbage and never buy anything anymore from ffg.

i like the idea of 9-space miniboards. if printed on both sides, they ve got 18 spaces. a lot of possibilities with that.

im mostly disappointed about the dragon board and set. they simply show the floor, looking ugly. nothing compared to the catacombs. however, in our group we use the dungeonquest board as talisman dragontower.

#56 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 501 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:08 AM

Well, that is intriguing.

Makes me wonder if FFG is going straight to the last corner, rather than a small expansion next, which is normally the custom (untill the Dragon set kinda changed that 'order', I suppose).

I like your idea on *my* idea of boardlets, 9 space small boards that """""   Flip over """""   .   One possibility would be  a day/night graveyard, with one for each side and different values, challenges, etc.

Of course a small set or a "Boardlet" set could come before the final corner, and I would be happy.

So your translators seem to know what the last corner may be?  I have no idea if you've ever posted before, but I want to find out if you've ever mentioned in a previous post what your language is.  Then we need to find those translators and question them more (just kidding, please take no offense!)

#57 Dirach

Dirach

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:34 AM

I sure would not trash my game if the last corner isn´t the forest.

But something "different" is both interesting and a bit concerning.

The original forest was a straight forward realm with focus on craft monsters. This is not "different". So it could mean they want to add some twists to the game. This can easily go wrong if they change the game too much, but I can understand the need to not repeat the dungeon an the highlands.

#58 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 501 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:21 PM

In that regard, you are correct.  I certainly wouldn't mind twists within the board and game design. But having never played the edtion that had a Forest corner board (let alone ever seen one live) I would have regrets over NO Forest whatsoever.

Well, we shall see.  Do you think you can say when this mysterious final corner come out? Is it the next expansion?

thanks

#59 Silverhelm

Silverhelm

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:06 PM

Dirach said:

I sure would not trash my game if the last corner isn´t the forest.

I agree with that. Too exspensive!

#60 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 501 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:51 AM

Hi all,

When I look back at the time periods between expansions, it seems that generally they are about 6 months apart, maybe a little longer. Blood Moon came out in May 2012 and The City was in January of this year, so it can be more than every 6 months.

But there are always news/posts about the next set, usually about 3 months apart, so we really should have heard something by now, about the next expansion whether it would be a corner board or just a small new themed set.

Does anyone know anything about when we can expect a new expansion set?     **** **** Now that the final corner is in sight, is it possible that they are pulling out all/more of the stops to make it better, test-proof it, etc. etc.

Someone mentioned several Forest-y characters from previous editions that have not been re-created for the current edition. Are there, in general, many such characters that have not been reproduced?   *** Barring the Timescape characters, what other characters - or concepts, items, enemies, etc. have not  but should be included in the next or any future expansions.

Just as many players did not expect the Dragon expansion to come as it did, after the 2nd board but before a 3rd board, is it possible that FFG is trying to do something unexpected with the next or futures expansions?

As the series possibly winds to its natural fulfillment, would there be some sort of final expansion or enhancement to the game that creates greater continuity - short cuts, secret passages, expanded portals, Ultra-flying creatures/devices, etc.  An expansion with interactions with Gods, Demi-Gods and other high powered beings might work for that.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS