recruit: deckbuiling and solo play

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Cuendillar

Cuendillar

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:49 AM

Hi there, I am interested in LoTR living card play but like to know some things. I've seen the gameplay vidoe and read some forums. There are many forums about deckbuilding. Is this really necessary or are the expantions playable without deckbuilding? If both can, is it more easy to play without deckbuilding? Are there rules of how many ards of a type you may add to your deck. I read that 50 cards is the minimum card seize. Is it easier to play with more cards? Another thing I read much on forums is about solo play. Is LoTR more a solo play game? Is it easier with more players and what are your thoughts is with the many expantions more playable for even 4 players?

#2 CJMatos

CJMatos

• Members
  • 381 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:31 AM

Deckbuilding is almost essencial to play the game… I believe that only first core quest is doable without proper deckbuilding.

Rules to deck:

- 50 cards minimum is a tournament rule (no official tournaments yet)

-3 cards with the same title per deck

-some cards have deck limitatiom inserted on card text

Solo:

Most quests are doable. Exceptions: Escape from DolGuldur, Shadow and Flame and probably both PoD (Massing at Osgiliath and Battle of Lake-Town).

Hon quests havent' played yet so don't know…

Multi:

Some quests are easier, others are mor difficult than solo play. Generally easier, but also you need good cooperation between decks…

Edit: Forgot to mention that i play mostly solo games. Sometimes i play 2 or 4 players game

Carlos José Matos

#3 Vyron

Vyron

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:11 AM

ehm… definitely without deckbuilding…. you are not going to get very far! I am telling you, once you delve into this LCG world of LOTR… you will automatically want to enhance your experience by building your "own" heroes and decks… it is just so much fun, given that the whole concept of a living card game is that you receive new cards, alter your strategy, if your former one did not succeed, etc etc

new cards mean new experiences and you really will not want to rob yourself of that! I promise, it is worth the try! :)

cu and good luck, mellón!

-varyon

#4 Hannibal_pjv

Hannibal_pjv

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:54 AM

One addition to the above ansvers: There normally is no any reason to use more than 50 cards. In card games it is allmost allway better to have as small deck as possible! Allso, if you are plaing with only one core set, it may be wise to start with decks that are smaller than 50 cards… The 50 card limit is for organized play, not nesessary home games, even though most of us follow that rule, but most of us allso have allmost all the possible cards, so there are more to chose from…

#5 gatharion

gatharion

• Members
  • 364 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:58 AM

CJMatos said:

Deckbuilding is almost essencial to play the game… I believe that only first core quest is doable without proper deckbuilding.

Rules to deck:

- 50 cards minimum is a tournament rule (no official tournaments yet)

-3 cards with the same title per deck

-some cards have deck limitatiom inserted on card text

That's no more than three cards with the same name per deck. You can have one or two copies of a card.

CJMatos said:

Solo:

Most quests are doable. Exceptions: Escape from DolGuldur, Shadow and Flame and probably both PoD (Massing at Osgiliath and Battle of Lake-Town).

Hon quests havent' played yet so don't know…

Those quests are beatable in solo play, but are extremely difficult and definitely require deck building.

The HoN quests I beat pretty handily in solo play with a Tactics deck.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS