Righteous Fury and Full/semi-auto questions

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 deraxel

deraxel

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

My full auto question.  If I'm using full auto fire and my ballistic skill bonuses push me above 100 will these potential extra success count towards damage dealt  EG my ballistic skill is 137 after bonuses and I roll an 86 will that count as 5 successes or does it cap at 100 and only count as 2 successes.  (this example is hypothetical and bs is enlarged to clarify.)

My Righteous Fury while Full-auto question.  Suppose I score three hits on a full auto attack.  During the damage phase I roll two seperate Righteious furies on the seperate hits.  Now the way the Rogue traders righteous fury is writen it seems I would get to roll a new full auto attack for each of those righteous fury scores which seems rediculous.

#2 susanbrindle

susanbrindle

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:18 PM

deraxel said:

My full auto question.  If I'm using full auto fire and my ballistic skill bonuses push me above 100 will these potential extra success count towards damage dealt  EG my ballistic skill is 137 after bonuses and I roll an 86 will that count as 5 successes or does it cap at 100 and only count as 2 successes.  (this example is hypothetical and bs is enlarged to clarify.)

My Righteous Fury while Full-auto question.  Suppose I score three hits on a full auto attack.  During the damage phase I roll two seperate Righteious furies on the seperate hits.  Now the way the Rogue traders righteous fury is writen it seems I would get to roll a new full auto attack for each of those righteous fury scores which seems rediculous.

Q.1: I am not aware of a 100 cap. If you have bonuses that push your BS to 150, and you roll 50, that's ten degrees of success. You're can still only hit the enemy with as many bullets as have come out of your gun though.

Q.2: You'd make an attack roll with all the modifiers of a full auto attack, but you wouldn't score extra hits. The attack roll only determines if you get to roll extra damage for the specific hit that triggered righteous fury. Example:

Stan is fighting an Ork. He fires his Boltgun in full auto. He has a BS of 60, and gets +30 from firing Full Auto, so he's trying to roll under 90. He rolls an 80. One degree of success, so that's an extra hit! The Ork does not bother to Dodge, having already spent his Reaction for the round on donning an amusing paper hat.

He rolls damage for the two bolts that hit. 1d10+5. He rolls a 5. Because his Boltgun has the tearing quality, he rolls another die. 10! He chooses to keep the 10. He has now threatened for Righteous Fury. He rolls to hit against a 90, the same number he rolled the original attack for. He rolls a 1, which is less than 90. Because the attack roll was only to determine whether damage was doubled, he doesn't get any extra attacks, just an extra damage roll. He rolls an 8, and then because of the Tearing quality also rolls a 5, but keeps the 8. Total damage for the first bolt is 10+8+5+5=28.

Note that Righteous Fury can trigger multiple times, and triggers any time even one die comes up 10. So, for example, if you throw a Filament Grenade, you roll 4d10, which gives you a 34% chance of seeing a Righteous Fury, and an 11% chance of seeing two. 12d10+8 is enough to fell a space marine!

#3 Alox

Alox

• Members
  • 284 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:25 PM

There is no cap at 100, but there is a cap on bonuses and max bonus is +60. (likewise max penalty is -60).

#4 Darth Smeg

Darth Smeg

Lord Nitpicker

• Members
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:28 AM

susanbrindle said:

Note that Righteous Fury can trigger multiple times, and triggers any time even one die comes up 10. So, for example, if you throw a Filament Grenade, you roll 4d10, which gives you a 34% chance of seeing a Righteous Fury, and an 11% chance of seeing two. 12d10+8 is enough to fell a space marine!

This is incorrect. If any number of dice show a 10, there is a chance of RF, which will let your roll to check for additional damage. You do not roll to check for every 10 rolled, just once. So there is a greater chance of RF happening, but it will still only trigger once (even if you rolled 4 10s in your example).

To be precise, this is for multi-die weapons. For Auto-fire, you check each hit as a separate damage roll, and each of these can trigger RF as stated in this thread.

Tarald - The Dark Lord of Smeg

My House Rules for using Only War (and more) for Dark Heresy games

#5 susanbrindle

susanbrindle

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:25 PM

Darth Smeg said:

susanbrindle said:

This is incorrect. If any number of dice show a 10, there is a chance of RF, which will let your roll to check for additional damage. You do not roll to check for every 10 rolled, just once. So there is a greater chance of RF happening, but it will still only trigger once (even if you rolled 4 10s in your example).

To be precise, this is for multi-die weapons. For Auto-fire, you check each hit as a separate damage roll, and each of these can trigger RF as stated in this thread.

I'm aware of how the rules work. Apologies for being unclear. I meant to say it can trigger multiple times IN SEQUENCE (So with the Filament Grenade, you could roll 9 9 4 10, and then 5 8 2 10, and then 8 5 2 10, and then 10 4 8 2, and then 1 5 6 2 for a total of four righteous furies which means five damage rolls which means a hell of a lot of dice.)

#6 Darth Smeg

Darth Smeg

Lord Nitpicker

• Members
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:33 PM

Ah, yes. That makes sense. Incidentally, RF was beefed up significantly in RT as compared to DH. In DH you would only get to roll a single d10 for addtional damage, with no static bonuses. Now you roll all the damage again, and then multiple dice really increase the chance of addidional 10s.

Tarald - The Dark Lord of Smeg

My House Rules for using Only War (and more) for Dark Heresy games

#7 deraxel

deraxel

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:01 AM

Thanks for the clarificaiton.  My group had been using RF like you get  a new attack for each RF; which as we started getting better gear and other stuff made RF kind of game breaking.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS