26 replies to this topic

#21 Danigral

Danigral

• Members
  • 803 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:55 AM

Kennon said:

Really? I like productive Dennis.

Don''t get me wrong, Productive Dennis is great. I just have a little nostalgia for those crazy threads. Work is a tad boring right now.

#22 Zordren

Zordren

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:13 AM

Crevic said:

Zordren said:

(on a side note, what the heck does "SFW/NSFW" mean anyway?)

Safe for Work/ Not Safe for Work

Thanks!

#23 Bomb

Bomb

Cool Person Club

• Members
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:24 AM

I think Missy is better for mostly the reason that she is easier to stand than Advisor of the Crown.

Long Lances can stand her.  With the Learned crest, Distinct Mastery can stand her.  Maybe you'll want to use her Learned crest for something else(I don't know what though).  To Be a Dragon will stand her.

Her Ally trait and 1 STR really doesn't bother me too much.  Her cost is so low that her ceiling far out weights her floor.  I wouldn't build a deck around her, but the chance she becomes a huge asset just out weighs her potential negatives.

Then there are all the other Targaryen character specifc effects that can be used on her, including Strong Belwas saving her, Maegi's Promise, reducers, etc.

Advisor of the Crown may have more strength and may be easy to get into play early with At the Gates, but honestly, I wouldn't even run him if it weren't in a Maester deck.  Once he is in play, he's worse than any of the 2 influence locations as there are more answers to characters than there are locations.  So, to me, he is only great because he can be acquired by At the Gates. 

#24 Vaapad

Vaapad

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:36 AM

Bomb said:

Maybe you'll want to use her Learned crest for something else(I don't know what though). 

in a dragon deck (which got some solid support in the last cycle), Outwit is huge.

"And for the first time in hundreds of years, the night came alive with the music of dragons."

#25 Danigral

Danigral

• Members
  • 803 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:02 AM

Bomb said:

I think Missy is better for mostly the reason that she is easier to stand than Advisor of the Crown.

Long Lances can stand her.  With the Learned crest, Distinct Mastery can stand her.  Maybe you'll want to use her Learned crest for something else(I don't know what though).  To Be a Dragon will stand her.

Her Ally trait and 1 STR really doesn't bother me too much.  Her cost is so low that her ceiling far out weights her floor.  I wouldn't build a deck around her, but the chance she becomes a huge asset just out weighs her potential negatives.

Then there are all the other Targaryen character specifc effects that can be used on her, including Strong Belwas saving her, Maegi's Promise, reducers, etc.

Advisor of the Crown may have more strength and may be easy to get into play early with At the Gates, but honestly, I wouldn't even run him if it weren't in a Maester deck.  Once he is in play, he's worse than any of the 2 influence locations as there are more answers to characters than there are locations.  So, to me, he is only great because he can be acquired by At the Gates. 

This is what I was getting at by saying that her plus is that she's in-house. To Be a Dragon is a good combo if you have the cards and inclination to use her influence for something in your hand (FK, Incinderate, or Dragon Thief maybe?) Then again, is she the best target for To Be…, Distinct Mastery, Strong Belwas, etc.? I'd sooner use To Be on my street waif or stealthy dude. Is she, as an influence-providing character (with all that means in terms of weaknesses), worth building in your deck those potential combos when a location can provide the same with more certainty and safety? Sure, those opportunities might arise in a game, and might be good every once in a while, but that's the same with so many other combos. She's a supplemental character, albeit a good one. And she's really good primarily because she's an in-house ally - providing more trait-synergy for incinerate, on-top of the in-built influence.

Bomb said:

I've tinkered around with him in other builds, now that I've decided to focus on Targ almost exclusively for the past 6 months. I think this is somewhat a meta-defined bias. What have the two dominant bulids been in joust for Targ for the past year? KotHH and Maesters. In a maester build, he's pretty much an autoinclude to use your FK early and have a target for chains simultaneously. In a KotHH deck, he's unnecessary since you have the influence to start with. Have we really seen any other really viable Targ builds that are that dependant on influence? Not since Targ summer/shadows - which is really more dependant on gold than influence - and at that point we didn't have cards such as Reinforcements, Incinerate, and Long Lances, which demand a lot of influence. In any deck that isn't KotHH - and we may see some in regionals season - Advisor may be useful.

TL;DR - I like Missy; I like Advisor, but for different reasons. Maybe I'll run one of each. The main decision point for which one to run has come down to plot choices more than these two particular characters' merits. So I guess Dennis was right, in a way. If you have room for At the Gates in your plot deck early game, Advisor is worth it; otherwise choose Missy.

Did you hear that Dennis? ;)

#26 dcdennis

dcdennis

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:30 AM

Danigral said:

So I guess Dennis was right.

6 greatest words in the english language when assembled in this order.

#27 Bomb

Bomb

Cool Person Club

• Members
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:46 AM

Haha.  Yeah I hear you.  Would you use good effects on her over other characters?  It really depends on the context of you and your opponents board.  Do you need her influence to ambush in a good character?  That might be a better option than standing another kneeling character.  I think she simply provides some decent flexibility with some of the options you may have.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS