Labyrinth of Ruin (next expansion)

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 Warrior of Myth

Warrior of Myth

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:19 AM

Hmmm…well they didn't actually say "no new search cards." However, they made a fairly comprehensive list in both the news add and the "About" section of the LoR page which mentioned everything BUT new search cards. So I suppose they may have just not mentioned them, but likely they aren't in there. Which isn't really a big deal, I just personally want to see that search deck have new and interesting stuff in it. There is just something fun about the random search draw and I think more variety would be rad.

Either way, I can't wait to buy this box!!

#42 zogking

zogking

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:24 PM

Me too! search cards or not

#43 Morthai

Morthai

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:23 AM

new search cards would completely trow the balance of the search deck totally out. Even the secret room changes the balance quite alot.

#44 Warrior of Myth

Warrior of Myth

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:38 AM

Morthai said:

new search cards would completely trow the balance of the search deck totally out. Even the secret room changes the balance quite alot.

Not necessarily. If the percentage of each type of card and money value (of the total deck) remained the same, then the balance/odds would remain the same. I can not off hand remember the size or contents of the entire search deck, but say for instance there were 6 potion cards, 4 "trinket" cards, 1 treasure chest card and 1 nothing card. The expansion could add 6 more new potion type cards (perhaps some of the other potions from 1st ed, or completely new ones), 4 new "trinket" cards, 1 more treasure chest card, and one more nothing card. If the gold values mirrored the initial search deck values, this would in effect give you the exact same odds as the basic search deck while adding some variety. As a side effect, if you were using LotWQ, the odds of the secret room would be halved.

#45 Morthai

Morthai

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:27 AM

this would still change the balance since an certain class could get more value of this deck by discarding more unwanted cards and having 24 search cards to play with, same the other way around, drawing just useless potions rather than something valuable… I think the number of search cards is imo very balanced and has a good varity of stuff in it and should not been changed.

#46 CrazyJ

CrazyJ

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:41 PM

Well if the search deck remains the same, then Ulma Grimstone's ability says a lot about the apothecary class. Assuming they didn't just give her a useless ability, then a least one or more of the apothecary's class skills must be powered by access to potions. Such a skill might come into conflict with the appraisal of thieves, who will want to maximize gold instead of hunting for potions.

And speaking of thieves, so far we don't exactly what separates treasure hunters from thieves yet, even their desciption of treasure hunters could just as well be applied to thieves as well. I'm sure they have some cool new mechanic for them, but I wish they at least hinted at what it could it be. In comparision, it seems pretty clear what the beastmaster, hexer and apothecary bring to table that's different, even if we don't know their details either.

#47 Morthai

Morthai

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:07 PM

CrazyJ said:

Well if the search deck remains the same, then Ulma Grimstone's ability says a lot about the apothecary class. Assuming they didn't just give her a useless ability, then a least one or more of the apothecary's class skills must be powered by access to potions. Such a skill might come into conflict with the appraisal of thieves, who will want to maximize gold instead of hunting for potions.

And speaking of thieves, so far we don't exactly what separates treasure hunters from thieves yet, even their desciption of treasure hunters could just as well be applied to thieves as well. I'm sure they have some cool new mechanic for them, but I wish they at least hinted at what it could it be. In comparision, it seems pretty clear what the beastmaster, hexer and apothecary bring to table that's different, even if we don't know their details either.

trust me on this: the treasure hunter will be alot different from the thief! ;)

#48 Beren Eoath

Beren Eoath

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:50 PM

The preorders are starting to apear so any time soon we should see a preview if this expansion. Can't wait!

#49 Brantadom

Brantadom

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:54 AM

Any rumors when we'll be actually able to buy it?

#50 BatHead

BatHead

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:01 AM

Ad copy says 2nd quarter of 2013, which would be April,May, or June. So soon.

#51 BatHead

BatHead

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:01 AM

Sorry, double post.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS