Labyrinth of Ruin (next expansion)

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 Sausageman

Sausageman

• Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:47 AM

I'm pretty stoked about this expansion actually.  My biggest *whoop* came at new dice actually.  Adding just one more type gives a lot of diversity.

I'm now wondering if:

1. The 'overland map' will be the same as base set campaign
  2. Will we see a 'Road to Legend' type expansion that actually links the existing CAMPAIGNS together to form one huge 'game'.  Adding in Acts 3, 4, 5, 6, beyond, the works
  3. When will the two remaining classes get filled out, and what else will that expansion add
  4. Will they add more skills to existing classes/a 'generic' pool of skills that anyone could use, instead of adding more and more classes.  Personally, I don't feel we need a choice of 10 classes in each archetype - diversity WITHIN that class is better from my perspective.

So…many…questions…  :)

#22 Tarai

Tarai

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:06 AM

It's a BIG Box …

so it will leave a BIG hole in my wallet …

#23 Morthai

Morthai

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:45 AM

Sausageman said:

I'm pretty stoked about this expansion actually.  My biggest *whoop* came at new dice actually.  Adding just one more type gives a lot of diversity.

I'm now wondering if:

1. The 'overland map' will be the same as base set campaign
  2. Will we see a 'Road to Legend' type expansion that actually links the existing CAMPAIGNS together to form one huge 'game'.  Adding in Acts 3, 4, 5, 6, beyond, the works
  3. When will the two remaining classes get filled out, and what else will that expansion add
  4. Will they add more skills to existing classes/a 'generic' pool of skills that anyone could use, instead of adding more and more classes.  Personally, I don't feel we need a choice of 10 classes in each archetype - diversity WITHIN that class is better from my perspective.

1) Probably NO. ("The comprehensive campaign in Labyrinth of Ruin features nineteen narratively rich quests. While they can be enjoyed as standalone experiences") A new overland map is likely to happen

2) no, for the quotation abothe
3) probably in another mini expansion like lair of the wyrm, this one is a big expansion , and will probably feature 4 new classes ("new heroes, monsters, classes, and more!")
4) probably new classes, not adding something to the old classes, for the same reasons as in 1)

The heroes have no plans of sitting idle as the overlord unfolds his vile plot; hero players benefit from the addition of four brave new characters and four versatile new classes. The mighty Beastmaster is a hunter of unparalleled skill, and with his loyal wolf at his side, he’s prepared to stalk his prey through any wilderness.

Meanwhile, the avaricious Treasure Hunter may excel at claiming wealth and uncovering relics, but he’s more than capable of defending himself – and his newfound riches – should his situation demand it.

Those drawn to the esoteric ways of magic may prefer the Hexer, a “de-buffing” class capable of making overlord’s minions pay for every step they take. With an arsenal of plagues, curses, and other afflictions at his command, the Hexer is a grim reminder of that even the most objectionable forms of magic can be used in the name of good.

Finally, the versatile Apothecary is a walking treasure-trove of elixirs, tonics, and other concoctions. It would be foolish, however, to assume that the Apothecary is a mere peddler of potions; many a foe has made that mistake, only to find themselves choked with poison gas.

#24 Seraph1m

Seraph1m

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:18 PM

Soooo happy. After seeing that the game wasn't being sold in Walmart or Barnes & Noble, was worried the game wasn't selling well enough to justify another expansion. FFG, please get ontop of your distribution so this game can get the fanbase it deserves!

#25 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:59 AM

Seraph1m said:

Soooo happy. After seeing that the game wasn't being sold in Walmart or Barnes & Noble, was worried the game wasn't selling well enough to justify another expansion. FFG, please get ontop of your distribution so this game can get the fanbase it deserves!

Do you regularly use Walmart as your rule of thumb for where to buy "good board games?"

Not that there's anything wrong with shopping at Walmart or Barnes & Noble, but it's been my experience that stores like that carry only a fraction of the board games that are available to buy.  Furthermore, the ones they do carry are usually "mainstream" titles like Monopoly, RISK, and occasionally HeroScape.

There's a whole world of board games beyond those, none of which are selling "poorly" by any means, to be found at your Friendly Local Gaming Store.

#26 Sausageman

Sausageman

• Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:29 AM

Morthai said:

Sausageman said:

•  
  • "4. Will they add more skills to existing classes/a 'generic' pool of skills that anyone could use, instead of adding more and more classes.  Personally, I don't feel we need a choice of 10 classes in each archetype - diversity WITHIN that class is better from my perspective."

4) probably new classes, not adding something to the old classes, for the same reasons as in 1)

I meant ever - cos in my opinion, the existing class skills are SEVERELY lacking in diversity right now.  If I play a Knight to the conclusion of a campaign, the chances are it will be IDENTICAL to another Knight at the conclusion of another campaign.  People like choice, and with a relatively fixed skill tree (order changes, powers do not), new items only coming from the shop and no 'black/silver/gold dice' to add to the mix, the game can become very stale.  I for one am extremely glad I had first ed and the conversion kit just to add a good mix of heroes.

#27 Seraph1m

Seraph1m

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:40 PM

Do you regularly use Walmart as your rule of thumb for where to buy "good board games?"

Not that there's anything wrong with shopping at Walmart or Barnes & Noble, but it's been my experience that stores like that carry only a fraction of the board games that are available to buy.  Furthermore, the ones they do carry are usually "mainstream" titles like Monopoly, RISK, and occasionally HeroScape.

There's a whole world of board games beyond those, none of which are selling "poorly" by any means, to be found at your Friendly Local Gaming Store.

[/QUOTE]

I would definitely identify myself as a 'casual' board gamer and new entrant to this market, so the answer to your question is a qualifed, "Yes!"  After seeing the D&D Boardgame at Barnes & Noble, I actually stumbled onto Descent while doing research on the game online. If I hadn't done the research regarding a COMPETING PRODUCT, I never would have known this game exists. If I had instead gone forward with an impulse buy in the store, Descent would have never even entered my consideration set. My point is that customers can't buy a product that they are unaware of. So while I feel that your argument regarding mainstream titles is absolutely correct, it is also obvious that these may be useful marketing and distribution channels for prospective new entrants to the market (such as myself, and a whole group of friends who unfortunately should be visiting gaming stores more).

That being said, I am encouraged to hear that the game sells well at local gaming stores (obviously a gathering point for FFG's target segment), I'm just discouraged to see that FFG hasn't made the transition to selling to mainstream customers as WoTC has, as I believe it has a quality game on its hands. You are probably correct. I'm sure FFG did the math and found that the cost of shelf space far outweighed potential sales, and probably feels that sharing the shelf with "mainstream" titles dilutes its brand. However, I'm still left with the question of "What if…" :)

#28 RagsMckay

RagsMckay

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:15 AM

Seraph1m said:

I would definitely identify myself as a 'casual' board gamer and new entrant to this market, so the answer to your question is a qualifed, "Yes!"  After seeing the D&D Boardgame at Barnes & Noble, I actually stumbled onto Descent while doing research on the game online. If I hadn't done the research regarding a COMPETING PRODUCT, I never would have known this game exists. If I had instead gone forward with an impulse buy in the store, Descent would have never even entered my consideration set. My point is that customers can't buy a product that they are unaware of. So while I feel that your argument regarding mainstream titles is absolutely correct, it is also obvious that these may be useful marketing and distribution channels for prospective new entrants to the market (such as myself, and a whole group of friends who unfortunately should be visiting gaming stores more).

That being said, I am encouraged to hear that the game sells well at local gaming stores (obviously a gathering point for FFG's target segment), I'm just discouraged to see that FFG hasn't made the transition to selling to mainstream customers as WoTC has, as I believe it has a quality game on its hands. You are probably correct. I'm sure FFG did the math and found that the cost of shelf space far outweighed potential sales, and probably feels that sharing the shelf with "mainstream" titles dilutes its brand. However, I'm still left with the question of "What if…" :)

Comming from a retail background. Most stores do not charge for "shelf space" unless it is an endcap or large display type of thing. The store will typically purchase their products form distributors. Rather than directly from manufactorers. Now at one point FF games based off of video games like Doom and WOW were sold at a smaller national chain computer store(Microcenter), but that only lasted a couple of years, and they only caried the games that were based off of the computer games.

I die...A lot.

#29 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:09 AM

RagsMckay said:

My point is that customers can't buy a product that they are unaware of. So while I feel that your argument regarding mainstream titles is absolutely correct, it is also obvious that these may be useful marketing and distribution channels for prospective new entrants to the market (such as myself, and a whole group of friends who unfortunately should be visiting gaming stores more).

Yes, I do understand what you meant.  I just wanted to make sure you were aware of the gaming hobby in general.  Since you appear to have an interest in board games like Descent, you should also be aware that there's an entire niche market out there filled with similar things that you may be interested in.

It would be nice if FFG games were seen more regularly in places like Walmart - I'm certainly not opposed to that idea.  It just sounded, from your original post, as though you were concerned Descent might not last too long without the assistance of the publicity generated by mainstream outlet stores.  That's not the case.  First edition Descent was in print for about 7 years (give or take) and had five full-size expansions before it was retired.  Second edition now comes out and the expansions are already starting to pile up less than a year into it's production cycle.  FFG also has other game lines that have been running longer than Descent, with more support.

And on that note, we come to a sobering point which you may not be aware of if you truely aren't familiar with the gaming hobby.  FFG likes to print expansions to its more popular games.  It's not just one box, it's many (assuming you have any compulsion to have the "complete set", that is.)  The core box is perfectly playable by itself - it's not that you need the expansions or anything - but they are out there, and there will likely be quite a few of them to come with this particular game line.

#30 Beren Eoath

Beren Eoath

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:48 PM

How do You think when we will see any previews fo this expansions? Can't wait for it.

#31 JorduSpeaks

JorduSpeaks

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:05 AM

Beren Eoath said:

How do You think when we will see any previews fo this expansions? Can't wait for it.

I was wondering the same thing, myself.  Eight weeks elapsed between the announcement of Lair of the Wyrm and the first previews.  If Labyrinth of Ruin follows the same timeframe, that would put the first previews somewhere around the beginning of April.  I'd rather they start showing up sooner, but the beginning of April is my best guess.

#32 Pascale

Pascale

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:06 PM

It will definitely use a new quest map as the preview states it's set in a new region of  Arhynn (or was it Terrinoth?).

#33 Morthai

Morthai

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:47 AM

new region of terrinoth, Dunwarr Mountain Range

april is the best bet for previews

#34 Beren Eoath

Beren Eoath

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:36 AM

I asked becouse I wuld love to see this ecxpansion as sonn  as possible. If it would show in shops in April/May I would be very happy. But I think more realistic that we will get it in June/July 2013.

#35 Pascale

Pascale

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:42 AM

I'd rather have them give it the Valve-treatment in that I'd rather have a good finished product that's been playested enough (with all bits 'n' pieces included) that comes out later in the year than a faulty shortcoming product that's been rushed out the door.

Then again , that's easy for me to say as my group have only just begun the base game's main quest (combined with LotWQ) : ).

#36 JorduSpeaks

JorduSpeaks

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:17 AM

If they were giving it the valve treatment, they'd start working on it in April/May . . . of NEXT year (unless something shiny came along first and distracted them).

#37 Morthai

Morthai

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:46 PM

Pascale said:

I'd rather have them give it the Valve-treatment in that I'd rather have a good finished product that's been playested enough (with all bits 'n' pieces included) that comes out later in the year than a faulty shortcoming product that's been rushed out the door.

Then again , that's easy for me to say as my group have only just begun the base game's main quest (combined with LotWQ) : ).

be assured we playtester did our best  in the timeframe we were given ;P But usually if a game is announced it's playtest phase is done.

#38 Beren Eoath

Beren Eoath

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:52 PM

I'm sure thet before they even announced it they playtested it for long hours. So i't not a question of playtest but of printing and putting all pieces together in one box and they ship it to shops all over the world.

#39 Warrior of Myth

Warrior of Myth

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:53 AM

Can't wait. I look forward to adding this one to the collection! New campaign = awesome! New classes, dice, heroes, quests, OL cards, travel cards, items, etc = AWESOME!

but…

No new search cards = not awesome qq.

#40 zogking

zogking

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:42 AM

Did they really say no new search cards? or have they just not said? I mean it says there 119 new cards, surely 6 or 7 of those can be new search cards.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS
About Fantasy Flight Games
Professional Zone