Deck Building?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 hendersondayton

hendersondayton

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:03 AM

How much of this game is about Deck Building? Can it just be picked up and played out of the box or do you need to know a bit about deck buildilng?

1 Corinthians 10:31 - "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do (even gaming!), do it all for the glory of God."

#2 sojo2600

sojo2600

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:32 AM

hendersondayton said:

How much of this game is about Deck Building? Can it just be picked up and played out of the box or do you need to know a bit about deck buildilng?

It can be picked up and played right out of the box.  The core set includes 4 starter decks, though they are not tournament legal since each deck will consist of 8 objective sets, whereas a legal deck has 10.  True deckbuilding in this game will require two core sets at the moment.

Deck building, while important, is much easier than other expandable card games due to the objective set structure.  Objective sets are a group of 6 cards that are associated with each other.  If you want to use a card in a set, for example Luke Skywalker, you need to also include the objective card and the 4 other cards in that set.  Thus, to build a deck you only have to make 10 decisions.  Considering that you can include two copies of many of the objective sets, you're essentially only making 5 or 6 decisions to build a deck.  

#3 hendersondayton

hendersondayton

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:28 AM

Thank you very much for your insight. I appreciate it. I am a big player of LOTR:LCG and really struggle with deck building so i was hoping the SW:LCG was a little easier.

1 Corinthians 10:31 - "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do (even gaming!), do it all for the glory of God."

#4 MasterJediAdam

MasterJediAdam

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:11 AM

I am a ccg player, so deckbuilding mechanics are really important to me. I actually enjoy the pod mechanic, as it makes for real strategic decisions that are smaller in number but larger in consequence. There is nothing worse than spending hours making 60 "critical" deckbuilding decisions only to lose because one or two of those 60 were miscalculated.

The other advantage I can foresee (I am not there by any means) is that based on what you see early game it is possible to learn about the contents of your opponents decks. I can see this being very useful to the seasoned player.

Welcome to the machine!

#5 ziggy2000

ziggy2000

• Members
  • 742 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

Yes, it is a marked departure from the "normal" ccg/lcg model not only in the deckbuilding aspect, but in the playing aspect, given that once you see a single card, you will know five other cards you are facing. So as soon as objectives are revealed you have the potential to know nearly one third of your opponent's deck. And given that many are running two of each objective, you could be relatively certain about another third. As the game starts to play and cards are revealed from hand, you can pretty quickly figure out more of the o-sets your opponent is playing, to the point that within a few turns you should be able to figure out what most of the objective sets are, and hence the command deck's contents. Of course, you can't be sure when a particular card may show up, but, much like gamblers that are good at counting cards in blackjack, knowing what the contents of the deck are and knowing what cards have been played can give you a real advantage as the game goes on.

I'm not saying I can do this, I suck at blackjack. But someone who is good at this type of thinking will do well in this game.

#6 MasterJediAdam

MasterJediAdam

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:55 AM

ziggy2000 said:

Yes, it is a marked departure from the "normal" ccg/lcg model not only in the deckbuilding aspect, but in the playing aspect, given that once you see a single card, you will know five other cards you are facing. So as soon as objectives are revealed you have the potential to know nearly one third of your opponent's deck. And given that many are running two of each objective, you could be relatively certain about another third. As the game starts to play and cards are revealed from hand, you can pretty quickly figure out more of the o-sets your opponent is playing, to the point that within a few turns you should be able to figure out what most of the objective sets are, and hence the command deck's contents. Of course, you can't be sure when a particular card may show up, but, much like gamblers that are good at counting cards in blackjack, knowing what the contents of the deck are and knowing what cards have been played can give you a real advantage as the game goes on.

I'm not saying I can do this, I suck at blackjack. But someone who is good at this type of thinking will do well in this game.

Yep, my second point exactly. I see at least in the game's infancy this being a factor.

Welcome to the machine!

#7 SiCK_Boy

SiCK_Boy

• Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:06 AM

You do not, technically, need a second Core set to do deckbuilding.

Although the pre-built decks are not tournament legals, there are extra neutral pods in the core set plus one pod for the 3rd faction of each side that are not used in the pre-built decks.

With those extra pods, it's possible to easily convert the base decks to be tournament legals: simply add the extra 2 neutral pods to your deck.

You can also simply mix the two factions for each side and obtain a "big" tournament-legal deck easily enough as well.

But the 2nd Core set does open up possibilities and will allow you to build much more powerful decks.

#8 stormwolf27

stormwolf27

• Members
  • 623 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:28 AM

ziggy2000 said:

I've actually used this to my advantage. I was playing DS and my opponent was going by the core rules text, to the letter, so he placed a rebel card, but then realized he had no rebel resources to play it.

I capitalized on this by only dealing just enough damage to each of his objectives to make them one hit, non edge dependent destroyable, and leaving blockers up so he couldn't destroy mine, that I swung in for a 3 objective kill in one turn, thus winning the game with a 8 click turn (1 at balance, 6 from objectives, and 1 from Devastator, since I played it that turn)

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men." - Willy Wonka

#9 Hannibal_pjv

Hannibal_pjv

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:18 AM

Yep. It is very easy to find out what is in the opponent deck, so this is allso a good thing when making decks. No surprices!

It is allso a bad thing because situation can become boring guite quicly, but this is a fast and simple games so it is not as big problem as it would appear to be. It allso makes game much easier to players who learn each pod in the game and can in one clanse know what you can expect to see next by opponent.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS