• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 heychadwick

heychadwick

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:56 AM

Hi All,

So, I just got all my expansions beyond the boxed set and am looking over all the new stuff.  I read somewhere that Proton Torpedoes don't rate well with a lot of people.  I was reading Horton's card and his ability to reroll any blanks at range 2-3.  He's also got the ability to really do some damage with the torpedoes!  You get 4 dice and re-roll all misses.  Also, any one focus gets turned into a critical.  It seems to be that he could really plaster someone with one shot.

Am I wrong?  Too expensive?  

#2 Vorpal Sword

Vorpal Sword

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:29 AM

You're not wrong. My feeling about Torpedoes is that you don't run them except on Wedge or Salm. 

The question of "too expensive" is in the mix, but only because (again, IMO) most squads shouldn't run Y-wings without Ion Cannons. The 360 firing arc makes up for a lot of the ship's shortcomings. 

#3 heychadwick

heychadwick

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:41 AM

Maybe one torpedo and ion cannon?

#4 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:41 AM

You asked, "Horton Salm & Proton Torpedoes?" I answer, "Always!" I took Horton fully loaded to the Kessel Run and tied for second (but tie breaker rules bumped me down to third). Yeah, he gets expensive, but he's got the hull to survive long enough to launch both torps. I put an R5 on him for survivability. Add in the Ion Cannon Turret and he's a whopping 39 points! But man is he fun to play with! He's much more accurate with his payload than Wedge, or anybody else.

There have been a few games where he just couldn't get the second shot, but it doesn't bother me too much.

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

#5 shmitty

shmitty

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:21 PM

Made it to the finals of 2 Kessel Run events using Salm, 2 Torpedoes, an Ion Cannon, and an R5.  

He is one of the most consistently effective Rebels.  

#6 voidstate

voidstate

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:37 PM

Horton with torps is the only Y-Wing I've ever had success with. But even then, you're nearly at the point cost of 2 Rookie X-wings…

· Try my Unoffical X-Wing Squadron Builder, see the 70,000+ squadrons other players have created or a list of all the X-Wing components.
· Currently, I'm backpacking around SE Asia for a year with my wife and three identical triplet girls. Check out our blog to see where we've got to: Travels With Triplets.

#7 Picasso

Picasso

• Members
  • 634 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:15 AM

I've spent more points than that on Wedge.  I think Horton with Torps gets his points back in kills faster.  I'm flying him with two tricked out A-wings tomorrow night.  I'll post how it goes.

#8 Torresse

Torresse

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:21 PM

So I think Proton torpedoes on any xwing including Wedge is a gamble in a rebel vs imps however with Wedge has greater odds, and can completly obliterate a ship or put a crippling crit on it before its had a chance to shoot. The porpose for proton torpedoes is not for 4 attack dice with a free semi marksmen, but for attacking at range 3. It gives you the advantage for surpassing the extra agility die. 

My oppinion on PTs on y wings. If you can afford it, take it. If your y wing gets caught at range 3 then he has to rely on his primary gun against an extra agility die.

If you have multiple ywings, put it on Horton. He knows better how to use it. (Ive once seen him roll 4 focus… though a crit still got through)

Its any easy crit for Horton, and if your opponent rolls poorly, it can be an easy kill (when you add a proton torp on Horton, you take 4 points to take atleast 12 before its had a chance to fire

#9 dvang

dvang

• Members
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:00 AM

I think that Proton Torpedoes will be more effective with the advent of Wave 2.  PTs are much more effective against low-agility ships, and Wave 2 introduces both the Firespray and YT that have pretty poor agility.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS