Jump to content



Photo

Wear and tear on movement dials


  • Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 FarkonGnome

FarkonGnome

    Member

  • Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:03 AM

RedWilde said:

Checking online, it doesn't look like any of the usual suspect stores around here stock the Contact brand clear adhesive.

But the office stores have rolls of Duck clear laminate, which is acid free so it won't yellow with age.

Target and Michaels both sell the brand "Con-Tact" brand that is Acid Free - that's where I got my giant roll.



#22 RedWilde

RedWilde

    Member

  • Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:44 AM

Turns out, my google-fu failed me.  But was just out running some errands and found a roll at Home Depot (buried back in the kitchen cabinets of course).



#23 Rowdy

Rowdy

    Member

  • Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:40 AM

AncientAngel said:

It beats nothing at all. I am sure at some point a plastic / high end dial will be available.

Hint, Hint 

Do you know something we don't? If FFG are serious about this game they will have to release better tools. I think they will have missed the mark if they continue with the current non replaceable cardboard tools. At the moment if a dial is lost etc, the only way to replace it is to purchase a new expansion which still leaves you short a dial. Hopefully any speculation of wave 3 is in the form of durable tokens, dials, templates etc. Thats the kind of support players are looking for. They need to be sold as a seperate unit so that we are not doubling up when a particular piece is lost or damaged.

Yes I know other companies are making tokens of various quality but for me I'd like to keep it stock. Especially for any tourny requirements.

Thats my two cents


 

 


#24 AncientAngel

AncientAngel

    Member

  • Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:04 PM

Rowdy said:

AncientAngel said:

 

It beats nothing at all. I am sure at some point a plastic / high end dial will be available.

Hint, Hint 

 

 

Do you know something we don't? If FFG are serious about this game they will have to release better tools. I think they will have missed the mark if they continue with the current non replaceable cardboard tools. At the moment if a dial is lost etc, the only way to replace it is to purchase a new expansion which still leaves you short a dial. Hopefully any speculation of wave 3 is in the form of durable tokens, dials, templates etc. Thats the kind of support players are looking for. They need to be sold as a seperate unit so that we are not doubling up when a particular piece is lost or damaged.

Yes I know other companies are making tokens of various quality but for me I'd like to keep it stock. Especially for any tourny requirements.

Thats my two cents

The hint was aimed for Fantasy Flight. Knowing how fast this game has taken off I wouldnt doubt that some one is not in the process of designing one. And if they are not then they are missing on a good oppurnity.



#25 Pygon

Pygon

    Member

  • Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

By the way, I've tried both glossy and matte contact paper for the dial fix.  Matte wins.  Dials spin smooth and less glare.


Core/Wave 1: 4 X-Wings, 3 Y-Wings, 8 TIE Fighters, 3 TIE Advanceds

Wave 2: 2 YT-1300s, 3 A-Wings, 2 Firesprays, 3 TIE Interceptors

Wave 3: 3 B-Wings, 3 TIE Bombers, 3 HWK-290s, 2 Lambda Shuttles

Imperial Aces: 2 Royal Guard Interceptors, 2 Elite Interceptors


#26 zathras23

zathras23

    Member

  • Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:58 PM

wiles01 said:

I went to Lowes and picked up several bags of 3/8" nylon washers.

 

They just fit in between the 2 cardboard top and bottom parts of the dial.  It keeps the cardboard from rubbing together and also makes the dials easier to turn.

 

http://i.tfcdn.com/i...dVkA4A/fyVMtP8A

I picked up some nylon washers from Home Depot but I found that the 3/8" washers covered up some of the artwork of the bottom disk. I went with 5/16" washers instead and you can barely see them when the disk is reassmbled. Another benefit using the smaller washer is I get 3 of the 5/16" ones for the same price as two of the 3/8" ones.

As my disks were already assembled I took them apart by using a pair of needle nose pliers and gently twisted the center pin that holds the disk together till it came loose and could be pulled apart.



#27 KnightShift

KnightShift

    Member

  • Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:11 PM

I spent 5 hours a few evenings ago applying Con-Tact clear to EVERYTHING that could possibly see wear and tear.  The top of the movement dials, the bottom and speed/direction side half of the dials, the movement templates, the range ruler… everything.  It's *all* protected now!  It took some time, but in the long run it oughtta be **well** worth it.

My technique was to put the piece of Con-Tact sheet on a hobby cutting board, sticky-side up.  Then plop whatever side of the dial half, template etc. you want protected firmly down on it.  Then CAREFULLY using an Exacto knife around the edges of the piece and then removing the excess.  Rinse and repeat for the other side of the piece.  Don't forget to cut out the hole of the dial pieces!  Then just assemble the dials as usual.  I did it again yesterday with newly bought X-wing and Y-wing and by then I'd gotten really fast at it :-)



#28 RedWilde

RedWilde

    Member

  • Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:18 AM

I cut out some extra contact paper ones and upgraded the dials in the demo copy at my FLGS last night.  

That demo copy is getting a lot of use while we're waiting for the restock ship to come in.



#29 vojvoda

vojvoda

    Member

  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:44 AM

Litko makes some generic dials that you ca buy. They have all the manuevers but not specific to each ship.

VR
James Mattes



#30 mrgoodtrips

mrgoodtrips

    Member

  • Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:16 AM

I have tried using a brush on mat varnish on the faces of the dials as these seem to take the most wear. this seems to have worked well so far. I have also used a black paint and matt varnish mix to paint all the edges of movement dails, ship tokens, movement templates,and all tokens in the hope to improve their lifespan as i play this game to death.it takes a while to paint these but if your going t spend money on games its worth doing your best to preserve the contents.


c


#31 TK4334

TK4334

    Member

  • Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:55 AM

I hate that they wear out it looks terrible…




#32 Mu0n

Mu0n

    Member

  • Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:02 AM

KnightShift said:

I spent 5 hours a few evenings ago applying Con-Tact clear to EVERYTHING that could possibly see wear and tear.  The top of the movement dials, the bottom and speed/direction side half of the dials, the movement templates, the range ruler… everything.  It's *all* protected now!  It took some time, but in the long run it oughtta be **well** worth it.

My technique was to put the piece of Con-Tact sheet on a hobby cutting board, sticky-side up.  Then plop whatever side of the dial half, template etc. you want protected firmly down on it.  Then CAREFULLY using an Exacto knife around the edges of the piece and then removing the excess.  Rinse and repeat for the other side of the piece.  Don't forget to cut out the hole of the dial pieces!  Then just assemble the dials as usual.  I did it again yesterday with newly bought X-wing and Y-wing and by then I'd gotten really fast at it :-)

 

I just did mine today, thanks to this thread. I was happy to find the exact same Con-Tact sheet at my closest local hardware store. I only protected the side of the dials with the movements printed on them, but seeing TK's pic, I guess I have to resign myself to protect the outer faces of the dials as well, yeeoch!

 

 



#33 vojvoda

vojvoda

    Member

  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

I am going with the washer route but also picked up some Magic Cover 20 inch by 15 feet Self Adhesive Decorative Covering in clear. Not sure it is acid free. Anyone know for sure. It is made by Kittrich and I think I got it from Michaels Crafts.


VR
James Mattes



#34 Kaxel Vofer

Kaxel Vofer

    Member

  • Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:55 PM

   I use the contact paper in the exterior faces, I think is were the damage occurs, and now is protected, greettings.


"That the reward for you, don´t be so high".


Kaxel Vofer.


#35 FarkonGnome

FarkonGnome

    Member

  • Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:45 PM

vojvoda said:

I am going with the washer route but also picked up some Magic Cover 20 inch by 15 feet Self Adhesive Decorative Covering in clear. Not sure it is acid free. Anyone know for sure. It is made by Kittrich and I think I got it from Michaels Crafts.


VR
James Mattes

Kittrich is con-tact's parent company.



#36 zathras23

zathras23

    Member

  • Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

mrgoodtrips said:

I have tried using a brush on mat varnish on the faces of the dials as these seem to take the most wear. this seems to have worked well so far. I have also used a black paint and matt varnish mix to paint all the edges of movement dails, ship tokens, movement templates,and all tokens in the hope to improve their lifespan as i play this game to death.it takes a while to paint these but if your going t spend money on games its worth doing your best to preserve the contents.

I plan on using the same varnish that I use on my miniatures for Warhammer 40,000 on the maneuver dials. It protects the paint of my miniatures quite well…it should do the same for the dials.






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS