• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#41 LethalDose

LethalDose

• Members
  • 782 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:45 PM

Yepesnopes said:

That is precisely my point. I am a bit afraid that the game betrays the players wishes in that regard. If a player comes to me saying "I want to play a wookie" why he wants to play a wookie? Probably is because he has seen the movies and he wants to play a big strong wookie who is also a faithful companion.

My fears are that the game mechanics won't provide enough coverage to the "strong" part for his (our) picture of how a wookie is. Said that, I haven't played yet, I am still in the process of reading the book, but, I will probably rise the limit of wookie Brawn up to 7. It will create the ilusion that wookies are stronger than other races, and I say ilusion because reaching Brawn 7 would cost at least finishing two talent trees.

My two cents,

Yepes

Play the game then worry about this. The wookiees 'feel' like very physical characters.

-WJL

"All models are wrong, but some models are useful."  - George E. P. Box

#42 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

Not the member you are looking for!

• Members
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:00 PM

Yepesnopes said:

My fears are that the game mechanics won't provide enough coverage to the "strong" part for his (our) picture of how a wookie is. Said that, I haven't played yet, I am still in the process of reading the book, but, I will probably rise the limit of wookie Brawn up to 7. It will create the ilusion that wookies are stronger than other races, and I say ilusion because reaching Brawn 7 would cost at least finishing two talent trees.

Why? On average wookies are stronger which is represented by a higher starting Brawn. Why can't a human who dedicates himself be as strong as a wookie?

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

#43 LethalDose

LethalDose

• Members
  • 782 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:03 PM

Azrael Macool said:

To be fair, I'm pretty sure they said in the Beta book that things like Rancors may have a Brawn higher than 6, I think the limit is just for players. Some race specific talents or something would be nice though.

Where?  

I just did a quick look in the beta book and the only place I can find Rancors mentioned is in a silhoutte table (Table 6-5, p 137.  They're silhouette 3).  They aren't in the index, either, while Mynocks are.

So, it doesn't appear there are any references to Rancors specifically, and pg 64 states "During the course of play, no characteristic can be increased higher than 6."  No notes on whether NPC/creatures can have higher characteristics, though.  Also, I can't find anything that explicitly allows cybernetics to break that barrier, in the attributes chapter, gear chapter, or final week's beta notes.

-WJL

#44 LethalDose

LethalDose

• Members
  • 782 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:04 PM

mouthymerc said:

All that aside, as I said many come to the table wanting to play a wookie (for example) because they are wookies, not their mechanics.

That is precisely my point. I am a bit afraid that the game betrays the players wishes in that regard. If a player comes to me saying "I want to play a wookie" why he wants to play a wookie? Probably is because he has seen the movies and he wants to play a big strong wookie who is also a faithful companion.

My two cents,

Yepes

Humans could be as strong as wookies in all d20 editions.  Why is this suddenly a problem now?

-WJL

EDIT: Sorry, misquoted previously.

#45 Azrael Macool

Azrael Macool

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:05 PM

LethalDose said:

Azrael Macool said:

To be fair, I'm pretty sure they said in the Beta book that things like Rancors may have a Brawn higher than 6, I think the limit is just for players. Some race specific talents or something would be nice though.

Where?  

I just did a quick look in the beta book and the only place I can find Rancors mentioned is in a silhoutte table (Table 6-5, p 137.  They're silhouette 3).  They aren't in the index, either, while Mynocks are.

So, it doesn't appear there are any references to Rancors specifically, and pg 64 states "During the course of play, no characteristic can be increased higher than 6."  No notes on whether NPC/creatures can have higher characteristics, though.  Also, I can't find anything that explicitly allows cybernetics to break that barrier, in the attributes chapter, gear chapter, or final week's beta notes.

-WJL

Well, apparently it doesnt state it outright, but it implies it on page 14, under the subbar Characteristic Ratings. It says a player and typical npc's rating is between 1 and 6, but in special cases it might be much higher than a PC's, especially in rare or unique cases, and gives the rancor and a few named NPCs like Vader and Han as examples. So, there's that. Still open to interpretation, but there you go.

#46 LethalDose

LethalDose

• Members
  • 782 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:14 PM

Azrael Macool said:

LethalDose said:

Azrael Macool said:

Where?  

-WJL

Well, apparently it doesnt state it outright, but it implies it on page 14, under the subbar Characteristic Ratings. It says a player and typical npc's rating is between 1 and 6, but in special cases it might be much higher than a PC's, especially in rare or unique cases, and gives the rancor and a few named NPCs like Vader and Han as examples. So, there's that. Still open to interpretation, but there you go.

AH, you're correct!  Good catch, and I stand corrected.  Thank you.

It's easy for those bits to slip by when you're looking for them where you think they should be.

-WJL

#47 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

• Members
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:34 PM

LethalDose said:

Play the game then worry about this. The wookiees 'feel' like very physical characters.

-WJL

Wise indeed. I will for sure. I have been playing warhammer 3 for a long time, and I have the impression that EotE is a good iteration of Warhammer 3.

We will see

Cheers,

Yepes

The Book of the Asur - High Elf fan supplement

The Dark Side - Witches, Warlocks, Dark Magic and more

Secrets of the Anvil - Advanced Dwarf careers and runes

Dice statistics calculator for SW EotE

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS