33 replies to this topic

#21 MILLANDSON

MILLANDSON

Playtester

• Members
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

LethalDose said:

Does anyone here own a GM screen produced by FFG?  Could be indiciative of quality we expect to see.

-WJL

I do, for Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, Black Crusade and Only War. They have all, generally, been of exceptional quality, and have survived the years (in the case of the DH and RT ones) of GMing I've subjected them too.

If you're worried about how sturdy and long living they'll be, I'd stop worrying, since they're very well made.

Of course, I dunno what the information on them will be, but I know the 40k ones were really good with that, too, especially the Only War one.

~Yea, Tho I Walk Through The Valley Of The Shadow Of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil~

Posts/views/opinions are in no way representative of FFG, and are entirely my own.

#22 $hamrock

$hamrock

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:37 PM

LethalDose said:

Does anyone here own a GM screen produced by FFG?  Could be indiciative of quality we expect to see.

-WJL

I have all the 40K ones, and they are outstanding!

I would imagine the dice will be included on this one, like the Warhammer 3rd, as they are similar games (due to the dice). 

#23 Doc, the Weasel

Doc, the Weasel

Pretending to be many, many things.

• Members
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:20 PM

$hamrock said:

I would imagine the dice will be included on this one, like the Warhammer 3rd, as they are similar games (due to the dice). 

The dice being included in the GM Kit? Not according to the product page.

Listen to my actual play podcasts at BeggingForXP.com.

Take a look at my Talent Trees (Edge of the Empire and Age of Rebellion), YT-2400 deck plans for the Lazy Bantha, as well as my other handouts.

#24 aramis

aramis

• Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

LethalDose said:

-WJL

the 40K series ones are VERY nice. Screen itself is like the cover of a hardback. 4 panels, unfortunately portrait. Content was useful.

I've got the RT one, BTW. My DH one is the BL version - 5mm fiberboard.

#25 Orjo Creld

Orjo Creld

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 12:30 PM

I don't like flipping through pages. And B. The adventure included is outstanding.

#26 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,551 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 12:32 PM

I agree, having the chief tables right in one shot is very helpful.  Worth it imo.

My group's Obsidian Portal campaign site: It's All in the Trigger Squeeze

#27 Internutt

Internutt

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 12:33 PM

The GM screen is a fantastic product. Well worth a purchase.

#28 Hygric

Hygric

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:08 AM

This is no exaggeration.  After 29 years of running games, this is the most useful GM screen I have ever come across (and that is a fair few).  All the most important info that needs to be referenced quickly in action scenes is on there.

It's just a shame that the system I least need to use a screen for has produced one of the best GM's quick-reference screens I have ever seen.

What would be great would be if they produced a range of screens.  Specifically a personal combat and space/vehicle combat one.  One quick change of a screen and *BAM!* I have all the info I need at my fingertips for that encounter.

#29 KRKappel

KRKappel

• Members
  • 276 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:46 AM

So as the guy who just wrote the AOR GM Kit adventure and optional rules, my opinion is a bit biased, but I would say it is a must-buy.

• Liloki, progressions, Dampe and 1 other like this

Official Contributor: Edge of the Empire: Suns of Fortune, Far Horizons, Age of Rebellion: GM's Kit, Stay on Target, and Force & Destiny: Core Rulebook

Follow me @KRKappel, facebook, and my author site. Co-founder Fandom Comics

#30 CrunchyDemon

CrunchyDemon

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:28 AM

it's helpful, but not vital.  We've found it speeds things up.

Proud member of the Gand Anti-Defamation League.

#31 Liloki

Liloki

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:07 PM

I get a lot of value out of the screen itself. It is high quality material, looks pretty and has enough of the tables I need to keep from constantly flipping through the book. The booklet that came with the screen is very much "mileage may vary" and for me minimally useful material. For a new GM, the booklet contents seems just what they need. For a grizzled vet... negligible.

The AoR GM Kit on the other hand... the marketed contents of that booklet seem vastly more useful than what was in the Edge booklet. So I'll likely end up with a second FFG Star Wars GM screen just for the stuff in the AoR kit booklet.

• progressions and KRKappel like this

Episode recaps of my ongoing EotE game: https://plus.google....771928262/posts

#32 Brother Bart

Brother Bart

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:44 PM

I haven't seen what's new in the GM booklet compared to the Edge one, and I already have a GM screen from Edge...but I will buy this box simply for the adventure. 

If there is cool new useful info in the GM booklet...bonus for me  :D

Edited by Brother Bart, 04 March 2014 - 04:45 PM.

#33 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 972 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:04 PM

That's what I'm so digging about the AoR screen: FFG clearly knew that a new screen would be a hard sell, since we have every reason to believe that the interior side is going to be exactly like what we already have. So to pull us in, Mr. Kappel's given us not only an adventure, but also some optional rules that many people have been clamouring for.

It could be said that those rules should be in the AoR core book... but I'm quite happy to have an extra  reason to feel good about buying a screen I know I would have bought anyway!  :P

#34 progressions

progressions

• Members
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:30 PM

Yep, seems like a great idea to me. Sounds like they are optional rules anyway, and may not ever come up if you don't find yourself needing the scenarios they require, so I can see why they might have left them out of the AOR Core Rulebook.

Or it could simply be that the Core Rulebook has been locked down and these rules were conceived at a different time.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to it!

EOTE Styles and Dice Symbols for Obsidian Portal

Our group's EOTE Obsidian Portal: Explorers on the Edge

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS