• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#41 Darth Ruinous

Darth Ruinous

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:54 AM

As for the universal spec, I'd add Dark Side Adept

More likely to be Force Adept than Darkside Adept. With a Force Heal, Force Resist or Defense (increase Soak/Defense or enemies Force power cost increase when the target), maybe a dedicated Force Choke.

#42 BrashFink

BrashFink

• Members
  • 507 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:04 AM

As the title says, I was wondering what people's thoughts were on what the Age of Rebellion book will include. Obviously a more focused look at the Rebels and Imperials including ships and equipment, but what else?

1. What races will make it in? Humans, for sure. Bothans, twi'leks, again? Mon Calamari? Duros?

2. What careers? Soldiers, but with what kind of specializations? Pilots? Maybe playable Imperial characters? Imperial Inquisitors or Emperor's Hands?

3. More rules on Force use? New specializations? Force Adept? The above Imperial characters?

4. Maybe rules on running groups utilizing the minion rules to show large scale combats? Players could have minion groups under their control. this would include on the ground and in space.

Any thoughts?

This made me think of something I had not though of yet... how much REPEAT races are we going to have since these books are meant to be stand-alone (as well as working together). Humans are going to be listed for sure in each book. What a waste of space.

What I am really interested in seeing is if there is going to be some new mechanic in each. They kind of word the "Obligation" mechanic like it is an "Edge" thing. I am wonder if both of the other books will have something similar but works with the Obligation mechanic overall. Like a "Responsiblity" instead of Obligation for soldiers?

#43 DylanRPG

DylanRPG

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:00 AM

As the title says, I was wondering what people's thoughts were on what the Age of Rebellion book will include. Obviously a more focused look at the Rebels and Imperials including ships and equipment, but what else?

1. What races will make it in? Humans, for sure. Bothans, twi'leks, again? Mon Calamari? Duros?

2. What careers? Soldiers, but with what kind of specializations? Pilots? Maybe playable Imperial characters? Imperial Inquisitors or Emperor's Hands?

3. More rules on Force use? New specializations? Force Adept? The above Imperial characters?

4. Maybe rules on running groups utilizing the minion rules to show large scale combats? Players could have minion groups under their control. this would include on the ground and in space.

Any thoughts?

This made me think of something I had not though of yet... how much REPEAT races are we going to have since these books are meant to be stand-alone (as well as working together). Humans are going to be listed for sure in each book. What a waste of space.

What I am really interested in seeing is if there is going to be some new mechanic in each. They kind of word the "Obligation" mechanic like it is an "Edge" thing. I am wonder if both of the other books will have something similar but works with the Obligation mechanic overall. Like a "Responsiblity" instead of Obligation for soldiers?

I'd like to see a unique mechanic in each book too. And I do suspect there will be. I kind of wonder if each book gets less and less "gray".

You start out with Edge of the Empire, where you have Bounty Hunters and Hired Guns and Smugglers and all that. Basically people way outside the law who might be a little shifty, and are more likely to rub shoulders with the Hutt Cartel than the Rebel Alliance or Empire.

So I wonder ... will Age of Rebellion move away from gray morality to the war? It has to, doesn't it? Rebels vs. Imperials.

And then you have Force and Destiny, which would be even more black and white, i.e., Light Side vs. Dark Side.

So I wonder if instead of Obligation, there will be an Allegiance system or something similar. You pick a side and this has drawbacks and benefits. Maybe within each there are different factions. Like you might be with the military, or the government. I'm not sure.

Or there could be a Squadron mechanic, where your group chooses a type of "team" that they are, a role they fulfill as a group within the Rebel Alliance.

I think you're on the right track, that Obligation is unique to Edge of the Empire. I'm very interested to see what the other books have.

As an aside, I hope Force and Destiny incorporates the seven lightsaber forms (!).

Complete PDF Talent Trees:https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

Form Fillable Official Character Sheet: https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

#44 BrashFink

BrashFink

• Members
  • 507 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:22 AM

So I wonder ... will Age of Rebellion move away from gray morality to the war? It has to, doesn't it? Rebels vs. Imperials.

And then you have Force and Destiny, which would be even more black and white, i.e., Light Side vs. Dark Side.

Perhaps, though I hope they do not just walk over the idea of the Gray Jedi. This is something talked a lot about in the Old Republic stuff, but really... the Prequel Trilogy really kind of eludes to it.

The Chosen one was supposed to bring balance... and guess what... he did. The galaxy had been too long dominated by the lightside. It seems the Jedi just narrow-mindedly interpret this. This gives quite a different concept on what Yoda means at end of Ep3 when he says "Failed, I have". To me this means, HE failed as the Jedi council leader. They did not look at the dark side ever, ignored it... and it overwhelmed them.

This theme is further looked to in the EU novels. Luke is not quite as black and white as the old order was. Revan from the EU (quite possibly the most power Jedi of all time) though both orders, Jedi and Sith were narrow and idiots.

#45 ErikB

ErikB

• Members
  • 930 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:42 AM

I don't think Disney will be wanting to get in to a commentary on the War on Terror, so I doubt people will be seeing Imperial special forces doing a Zero Dark Thirty style raid to assassinate the mastermind of Rebel suicide bombings any time soon.
If you want a picture of the Empire, imagine a jackboot stamping on a beings face - forever.

#46 DylanRPG

DylanRPG

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:45 AM

I don't think Disney will be wanting to get in to a commentary on the War on Terror, so I doubt people will be seeing Imperial special forces doing a Zero Dark Thirty style raid to assassinate the mastermind of Rebel suicide bombings any time soon.

What? I was talking about the Rebellion. You know, the war between the Rebel Alliance and the Empire? The one ... in Star Wars? And I said move AWAY from gray morality TO the war. As in, the good guys vs. the bad guys.

#47 ErikB

ErikB

• Members
  • 930 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:03 PM

What? I was talking about the Rebellion. You know, the war between the Rebel Alliance and the Empire? The one ... in Star Wars? And I said move AWAY from gray morality TO the war. As in, the good guys vs. the bad guys.

I think I was agreeing. I don't think Disney will be wanting to put out stuff that is either 'What is awesome about Nazis/The Empire' or 'Ways in which the Rebel Alliance who we just paid $4 billion for the rights to is like Al Qeada', so 'nuanced'/revisionist takes on Star Wars may not be on the table.
If you want a picture of the Empire, imagine a jackboot stamping on a beings face - forever.

#48 DylanRPG

DylanRPG

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:08 PM

I was actually suggesting that Edge of the Empire is all about gray morality, and the two upcoming supplements will be steadily more polarizing in terms of good and evil. I don't think this has anything to do with Disney, but rather a natural progression given the chosen themes of the upcoming core rulebooks (Age of Rebellion, Force and Destiny).

I actually kind of doubt Disney will have much influence over the content of future releases from Fantasy Flight Games. There's Disney, and then there's Lucasfilm, and then there's Fantasy Flight Games, you know? FFG seems to have a lot of creative power, and the wheels are already moving.

• Rikoshi likes this

#49 That Blasted Samophlange

That Blasted Samophlange

• Members
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:14 PM

Things I would like to see are:

Mass combat for ground/fleet.

Fighter Squads for the party.

Military Ranking and breakdown for both rebel and imperial command structure

Creating your own rebel cell.

More in depth combat rules - example, they default 2 difficulty for melee combat.  I'd like characters that are more combat savvy perhaps.

Things I expect

specializations such as Squad Leader, Commando, Spy,

reprints of the following races:  Humans, Droids, Wookies (too iconic to Star Wars not to put in) and Bothans

New Races:  Mon Calamari, Sullustan, Dresselian, and Duros.

You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point if EU.

#50 DVeight

DVeight

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 01:49 AM

Things I would like to see are:

Mass combat for ground/fleet.

Fighter Squads for the party.

Military Ranking and breakdown for both rebel and imperial command structure

Creating your own rebel cell.

More in depth combat rules - example, they default 2 difficulty for melee combat.  I'd like characters that are more combat savvy perhaps.

I would like to see that as well. Mass battle rules would be cool that incorporate your characters in as well. Kind of like Hero characters in Warhammer Fantasy, 40k. In fact, rules that allow for table top mini gaming in the vain of 40k. Maybe as optional rules..... after all this is a role playing game.

#51 Stacie_GmrGrl

Stacie_GmrGrl

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:26 AM

I think they will focus the game on squad based, military style campaigns. :)

My .02 :)

#52 FuzzyLog1cZA

FuzzyLog1cZA

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:00 AM

I'd also like to a see a really in-depth squadron/rebel cell/commando team creation ruleset.

I'd imagine Obligation would be re-skinned as rank, the higher your rank the more pressures and requirements you have but then again you can also call on far more resources.

#53 Mr. Flibble

Mr. Flibble

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:26 AM

I'd also like to a see a really in-depth squadron/rebel cell/commando team creation ruleset.

I'd imagine Obligation would be re-skinned as rank, the higher your rank the more pressures and requirements you have but then again you can also call on far more resources.

That might work. I wonder whether there will be any consideration of EOTE characters retaining Obligation while still using whatever AOR comes up with. After all, Han learned that joining the Rebellion didn't exactly get him off the hook with Jabba.

"Mr. Flibble is very cross."

--Arnold J. Rimmer

#54 FangGrip

FangGrip

• Members
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:01 AM

Not having been a part of the Beta, I wonder if there was anything other than Obligation involved in character creation.  I haven't heard anything that would make me think so.  While all of these are neat ideas, since they said in the Order 66 Podcast that the next two books are completed, I suspect that Obligation simply carries over to each next core book.  I am sure they will add new Obligations based upon military service, but I doubt they would create a new system when they haven't even playtested them yet.

That really doesn't seem to be the way FFG is playtesting and developing this system.  Every game mechanic seems to be going through a rigorous vetting process.

Check out a truly universal RPG with Free Starter Rules at www.AlphaChronicles.com!

Check out the Consummate Gamer Blog for everything that isn't Alpha Chronicles.

#55 That Blasted Samophlange

That Blasted Samophlange

• Members
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:42 PM

I'm not entirely sure that military rank would be anything more than a different type of Obligation. 

As to mass combat, I've given some though and I'd like it to be represented by a roll of the dice,  Enemy forces represented by difficulty dice, Allied forces by Ability dice and so on.  PC's accomplishing specific goals for a mission could upgrade the Ability dice, while failing something could be Challeng dice, etc.  Just a thought. 

Think of the Battle of Endor, the party trying to take out the shield generator, while the battle rages in space.  The rebel fleet had maybe 3 dice, the imperial 5.  The shield generator and Deathstar being active upgrades 2 dice, etc.   While I haven't fleshed out the idea fully, it could be a good way to have a large battle represented 'numerically' without the minutia of every detail and attack. 

I'm also expecting rules to make combat checks harder in melee - rather than a difficulty of 2 for melee combat, it be modified by agility or certain talents (this would work for lightsaber combat as well - each form being a talent tree like each force power).  

Also, I'm expecting lots of rules for co-operative characters, such as the party being the member of a fighter squad - so talents that give bonuses while in formation, etc.

You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point if EU.

#56 messythekoala

messythekoala

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:53 PM

I'll tell you what would excite me.  We already have soldiers and pilots with talent tree's so what I'd like to see is a cross specialization talent tree.  If you're a pilot/hired gun you can be a gunnery crew boss or assassin/bodyguard and you're a weapons expert specops.  Something to give ppl who only focus on two spec's some further options.

Edited by messythekoala, 14 July 2013 - 04:00 PM.

#57 kaffis

kaffis

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:35 PM

I've always played 'Rebel' campaigns as, like, a freelance freighter crew with a sideline in freedom fighting. Which is kinda EotEs turf, only they take missions from the rebels occasionally.

So I don't know. I'd like to be able to fly an X-Wing, but I've always been wary of military games with command structures and whatnot.

I have a feeling that the Age of Rebellion characters will incorporate command structure as a parallel alternative to Obligation, or as a specialized variety of Obligation itself.

Like Obligation, being more intrinsically linked to the command structure will grant you access to equipment, personnel, resources, and facilities that being more loosely linked to the command structure would (operating as a sleeper cell or resistance cell), but it will carry with it the reality that you will have your objectives -- or even the battle plan itself -- dictated to you more frequently.

#58 Endrik Tenebris

Endrik Tenebris

• Members
  • 680 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:48 PM

I agree.  They want characters to be able to seemlessly traverse the three books, so they are going to keep Obligation either as it is, possibly with more caveats to exploit it with, and more focus on Obligation Duty/Oath/etc.  They want you to be able to take a character through whatever sources they want.  As such, I truly think that the character creation system will be near-identical.

FFG Star Wars RPG Content - Periodic Updates.  Species, items, and more:  https://www.dropbox....3x57/qXerqp6BHq

FFG Star Wars Mass Effect Conversion - In Progress:   https://www.dropbox....woxz/xr0nnETGK4

#59 S.A.Harris

S.A.Harris

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:35 AM

Just a few thoughts....

1. I would also assume that they would just expand the Obligation system, not create something new. This would allow your characters to move through the 3 core systems freely and with 100% compatibility. This would more than likely feature more specific and "command-structure" or "allegiance" related options.

2. The character creation system would need to be exactly the same, just with more expanded options for compatibility reasons. As several of the writers, designers and producers have suggested on the Order66 podcast they have designed all three games to be compatible and some of the "oddball" things in EotE that seem incorrect, or like typos are really there due to forward compatibility.

3. I feel like they will keep the more abstract "pilot," "spy," "commander," etc...structure for careers and specilizations. Again, this would be done due to compatibility across the range. I would love to see some unique specilizations though, like "starfighter ace" which would have talent trees related to very specific tasks....this would reflect highly trained pilots from both the Empire and Rebellion. This would be good combined with a more basic specilization like "fringer" or "politico" to create a very unique backstory of dedication to a side of the battle and devotion to training within that system for a specific task.

4. It would be nice to see rules for larger skirmishes or battles in a more abstract way. Using dozens of vehicles or ships at a time...I am not sure that is on their priority list, but it should be. There should be a couple of sidebars or an appendix for using the X-wing miniatures or game for battles....(they also should release a land battle version of X-wing too.)

5. As far as species goes, I think that you guys are correct to assume that Human and Wookie would be repeated. I think Sullustan and Mon Calamari are both very good guesses. We could also get a few more droid options to build probe droids, medical droids, etc....(Just whatever FFG decides, please DON"T make Ewoks playable.)

6. The big one for me though is to see MUCH more written about using "beasts" or mounts as well as stats for Dewbacks, Tauntauns, etc. I wonder if this could include more planatary scale things like the "space slug?" Perhaps we could see some rules for more "monster" style creatures like the Wampa.

7. I would hope that we could see some information about early stage jedi training with a few more career/specializations for force users....stopping shy of "Jedi" or "Jedi Knight" though.

8. I am also assuming we will get a lengthy section on planets that are highly swayed to one side or the other as well as more core worlds. I am also guessing we will have some detailed information about the structures and resources of either side as well as some idea as to how they get new members, acquire technology, the economics, and how they interact.

9. There will probably be a larger variety to armor, especially for the Empire (Stormtrooper, Sandtrooper, Snowtrooper, Scout, etc.). I guess we will see more Rebel or Empire sepecific blasters and heavy weapons run by "crews". It would be nice to see some item construction rules. In this will probably be tons of starfighters, a few more freighters, and more military ships as well as some real ship construction guidelines.

Edited by S.A.Harris, 02 August 2013 - 07:37 AM.

#60 Mr. Flibble

Mr. Flibble

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:42 AM

5. As far as species goes, I think that you guys are correct to assume that Human and Wookie would be repeated. I think Sullustan and Mon Calamari are both very good guesses. We could also get a few more droid options to build probe droids, medical droids, etc....(Just whatever FFG decides, please DON"T make Ewoks playable.)

I also wouldn't be surprised to see droids repeated; in fact, I think droids may be more likely than Wookiees. I agree that Sullustans and Mon Calamari are likely choices.

"Mr. Flibble is very cross."

--Arnold J. Rimmer

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS