86 replies to this topic

#21 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

Not the member you are looking for!

• Members
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:40 AM

Voice said:

And Hand of the Emperor doesn't really seem like a specialization, rather than a specific character build (probably with quite a bit of play XP spent before you get anywhere *near* that position).

Emperor's Hands come in a variety of flavours. Pilots, assassins, soldiers, spies. It is more a title than anything else.

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

#22 Voice

Voice

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:26 AM

mouthymerc said:

Voice said:

And Hand of the Emperor doesn't really seem like a specialization, rather than a specific character build (probably with quite a bit of play XP spent before you get anywhere *near* that position).

Emperor's Hands come in a variety of flavours. Pilots, assassins, soldiers, spies. It is more a title than anything else.

I think we're agreeing on that.  I'm just adding an assumption that it's very unlikely that a starting (~100XP) character will have managed to get the Emperor's attention in any way significant enough to be named as a Hand.

#23 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:20 AM

Voice said:

I think we're agreeing on that.  I'm just adding an assumption that it's very unlikely that a starting (~100XP) character will have managed to get the Emperor's attention in any way significant enough to be named as a Hand.

It'd be akin to becoming the Baron-Adminstrator of large-scale mining operation, or General/Admiral in the Rebel Alliance/Imperial Forces, or even a major-league crime lord.  It's something you work towards rather than having to take specific specializations or talents to get there.

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#24 Sturn

Sturn

• Members
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:48 PM

Voice said:

I don't think there's a need for faction-specific careers and/or specializations.  I doubt there'd be much of a difference between the career/specialization skills & talent trees for Rebel Pilot vs. Imperial Pilot, or Rebel Soldier vs. Imperial Soldier. 

I completely agree with above.

There are going to be criminal organizations in EotE, so I assume Age of Rebellion will have details on Imperial and Rebel organizations.

I'm also looking forward to a new list of Obligations. We already have a scale for Crime/Infamy vs. Law/Fame in EotE. I'm assuming Age of Rebellion will have a scale with the Empire on one end and the Alliance on the other (and finally Dark Side vs. Light Side in the final book?).

#25 LethalDose

LethalDose

• Members
  • 782 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:49 PM

Voice said:

I don't think there's a need for faction-specific careers and/or specializations.  

I agree and disagree. For the vast majority of roles, like soldiers/troopers, spec ops, fighter pilots, officers, engineers, covert agents, etc, I agree that there's little need for faction-specific careers or specializations.  The skills needed to represent the skill set in any faction are basically the same.

Other roles, though, I think are specific enough to warrant faction-specific universal specializations*.  Examples include roles like Stormtrooper and Emporer's Hand (couldn't think of any good rebel-specific ones, sorry).  This lets players tack on very specific skill sets, regardless fo where they came from.

-WJL

*Universal specializations are specializaitons without careers, like Force Exile.  Originally they were described as costing an out-of-career premium unless they were purchased as the second specialization.  I'm not sure if things changed between their announcement here, and the final week's Beta update, but there seems to be a conflict between the listed costs.  Clarification provided for posters who may not be familiar with this concept as presented during Beta development.

"All models are wrong, but some models are useful."  - George E. P. Box

#26 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

• Members
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:24 AM

Stormtroopers are just soldiers. Emperor's Hands come in too many varieties to codify into one career or specialization. It is more of a title. Maybe an Imperial Inquisitor talent tree if they are going to put in anything specifically Imperial to be played.

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

#27 LethalDose

LethalDose

• Members
  • 782 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:04 AM

mouthymerc said:

Stormtroopers are just soldiers. Emperor's Hands come in too many varieties to codify into one career or specialization. It is more of a title. Maybe an Imperial Inquisitor talent tree if they are going to put in anything specifically Imperial to be played.

• "Stormtroopers are just soliders": Eh, maybe.  But there's a a whole other thread about them discussing various points of view about how they're used and how they differ from regular soliders, and I think rightly so.  Maybe we'd see an ST tree in a supplement.
  • "Emporer's Hands come in too many varieties to codify": Solid disagreement with you here.  There's a wide variety of backgrounds, but none of those backgrounds would do a sufficient job training the Hands in the use of the force.  I would think that a universal spec could easily envelop the skills and force abilities that a Hand should be trained in without forcing the character into 2 or three additional specs to make it work.
  • Imperial Inquisitor:  Another perfect example that would work well as a faction-specific universal spec.

Maybe revisiting the WEG's rebel Ordnance Procurer character template would provide an appropriate rebel-specific universal spec.  Essentially, this was a character that, how do you say?, redistributes? militiary materiel for the benefit of the rebel alliance.  Little reason for there to be an Imperial version.

It's also reasonable (perhaps more reaosnable) to expect these universal specs to be in supplements for AoR, instead of in the core product.

-WJL

#28 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:29 AM

mouthymerc said:

Well, maybe a general-purpose "dark side Force-user" could work in terms of an Emperor's Hand, as they all have that theme in common.  I know the OCR Dark Side Sourcebook had an "Emperor's Hand" prestige class (heck, the OCR/RCR had a prestige class for almost everything), but I also have to wonder just how much of the variety amongst the Emperor's Hands was due ther backgrounds with a specialization to give them a "sneaky Force-user" feel.  Though I doubt we'd see much more in the way of Force Specializations, at least nothing quite as focused as an Emperor's Hand or Inquisitor until Force & Destiny.

Although, an Emperor's Hand type character could be built already using Bounty Hunter/Assassin and F/S Exile, so there is that.

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#29 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

• Members
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:52 AM

LethalDose said:

• "Stormtroopers are just soliders": Eh, maybe.  But there's a a whole other thread about them discussing various points of view about how they're used and how they differ from regular soliders, and I think rightly so.  Maybe we'd see an ST tree in a supplement.

Nothing there that can't be achieved using a generic template for soldiers and their specs. At best there may be some variance based on race if they are of clone stock, but otherwise they are well trained soldiers. what do you see in a ST tree that might not be there in a soldier spec tree?

LethalDose said:

• "Emporer's Hands come in too many varieties to codify": Solid disagreement with you here.  There's a wide variety of backgrounds, but none of those backgrounds would do a sufficient job training the Hands in the use of the force.  I would think that a universal spec could easily envelop the skills and force abilities that a Hand should be trained in without forcing the character into 2 or three additional specs to make it work.

While some delve into the Force, more precisly various traditions, some are nothing more than the soldiers or pilots or spies they always were with maybe a slight dip into the Force. Nothing that can't be done using a generic specialization like the Force Exile one. I imagine we will see further Force development in the Age of Rebellion that may allow for these types of characters. Emperor's Hands vary from assassins, scientists, warriors, pilots and more.

George Orwell

#30 LethalDose

LethalDose

• Members
  • 782 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:16 PM

mouthymerc said:

While some delve into the Force, more precisly various traditions, some are nothing more than the soldiers or pilots or spies they always were with maybe a slight dip into the Force. 

Yeah, I think we've just got different opinions on this.  I see them more like the wookieepdia article I linked above lists them, and I think you percieve them more like they were portrayed in the Darkside Sourcebook.  And thats fine.

I would say that some Hands, like Mara Jade, went deeply into the universal spec, while others, which  you describe as "nothing more than the soldiers or pilots or spies they always were with maybe a slight dip into the Force" would not go very deep into the universal spec, but would still pick it up.

I think you would say that Hands simply don't need a universal spec because they can be appropriate represented with existing specs.

That's cool.  We'll just have to wait and see.

-WJL

#31 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

• Members
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:01 PM

LethalDose said:

I think you would say that Hands simply don't need a universal spec because they can be appropriate represented with existing specs.

Exactly. Mara Jade, in that Darkside book, was mostly just a spy with sneak attack dice and Force powers. Don't need a spec for that, just access to Force powers through a generic Force spec like Force Exile combined with a spy or assassin spec. others, like Maarek Stele, were more pilot with just a spattering of Force ability.  Maybe there will be a spec Imperial Force Sensitive or just a Force Sensitive generic spec for either side, as you say we will have to wait and see.

George Orwell

#32 LethalDose

LethalDose

• Members
  • 782 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:04 PM

Enough about nit-pciking a really small part of this question.  I think the following are the big things I want to see in the AoR system:

Expanded Command and Leadership

Rules for PCs commanding soliders in groups from the size from fireteams (2-4 troopers) to companies (~ 100-200 men), allowing full PC groups to run large battles.  Similarly, PCs should be able to run starfighter squadrons or capital shipts in small to medium conflicts, or play important command roles in larger conflicts.  This could simply rules on how to direct groups of minions, or how groups of minions can be used to enchance a PC's or Nemesis' rolls.  Really, I think that there should be rules for improving your unit (ground or space) akin to character development, in other words, a character's unit should be another aspect of that player (see Rank Advancement below)

Capital Ship Rules and Expanded Starship Combat

This was explicitly listed in what was discussed at the In-Flight report at the announcement.  Pretty much subsumed in waht was stated above.  But I'd like to FINALLY get a ruleset for a Star Wars RPG that makes this **** work on scales that we see in the movies.  From the Falcon's escape from the Death Star to the Battle of Endor.  I don't think one dedicated SWRPG system has provided a way to let the players feel like Luke at Yavin or Lando at Endor, much to the detriment of those games.

Special Operations and Resource Combat

You can do this in any setting, really, buy I'd like to emphasis placed on it in the AoR system.  Rules governing the effects of sabotage and supply line disruption in the abstract narrative setting that we have currently.  I want the players to be able to decide how to tackle an enemy, instead of the GM saying "Your CO says you have to do X to give us a chance to win" and having these rules would be part of such a system to d

Rank Advancement and Guidelines

Similar to the way Obligation can be used as a resource in some cases, I'd like to see a way to spend XP to advance rank and gain some benefits, like increasing the size of your unit that you can command, resources (weapons, armor, gear) available to your unit. Information about rank and command structure in various branches of the Imperial and Rebellion military forces should used to "fluff" and support this material.

I think those are my big ones.  Yeah, get new careers and crap in there, but stuff like that and stack blocks are just gravy, the mechanics are the real meat of the system.

-WJL

#33 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 994 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:29 PM

LethalDose said:

Capital Ship Rules and Expanded Starship Combat

This was explicitly listed in what was discussed at the In-Flight report at the announcement.  Pretty much subsumed in waht was stated above.  But I'd like to FINALLY get a ruleset for a Star Wars RPG that makes this **** work on scales that we see in the movies.  From the Falcon's escape from the Death Star to the Battle of Endor.  I don't think one dedicated SWRPG system has provided a way to let the players feel like Luke at Yavin or Lando at Endor, much to the detriment of those games.

This. 

THIS.

THIS.

#34 Sturn

Sturn

• Members
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:02 AM

LethalDose said:

Rank Advancement and Guidelines

Similar to the way Obligation can be used as a resource in some cases, I'd like to see a way to spend XP to advance rank and gain some benefits, like increasing the size of your unit that you can command, resources (weapons, armor, gear) available to your unit. Information about rank and command structure in various branches of the Imperial and Rebellion military forces should used to "fluff" and support this material.

I think those are my big ones.  Yeah, get new careers and crap in there, but stuff like that and stack blocks are just gravy, the mechanics are the real meat of the system.

-WJL

Nice ideas here.

#35 Beej

Beej

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:43 PM

I do not enjoy playing in 'classic' rebel vs imp games. However in the spirit of the thread... Rebellion Era Imperial PCs, attached to Thrawn's forces during his campaign In The Unknown Regions. I'm just saying :)

#36 Hishgraphics

Hishgraphics

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:46 PM

Most of my games are during the Dark Times and Post-Battle of Yavin. What I would like to see in AoE is the Rebel SpecForce trooper talent trees for Pathfinders, UCS, SpaceOps, Rangers, Infiltrators, HWS, Scroungers, etc.

#37 Blind Pumpkin

Blind Pumpkin

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:02 AM

I think it would be best, albeit more expensive, to have two separate books: One for Rebel PCs, and one for Imperial PCs.

Using the 40k RPG line as reference, something like a Black Crusade book for Imperial campaigns would be perfect.

#38 eldath

eldath

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:40 AM

I hope they introduce a third scale between starships and character (I doubt its coming for the final EotE release, despite good arguments for it).

I see no reason not to add a Vehicle scale between Starship and Character if that is somethin you want, I am not sure whether it should be a midpoint of five to one or closer to the Starship scale. For myself, I think I will stick with just the two, partially for ease of play but also because I don't think it is really needed.

E

#39 JP_JP

JP_JP

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:05 AM

Enough about nit-pciking a really small part of this question.  I think the following are the big things I want to see in the AoR system:

Expanded Command and Leadership

Rules for PCs commanding soliders in groups from the size from fireteams (2-4 troopers) to companies (~ 100-200 men), allowing full PC groups to run large battles.  Similarly, PCs should be able to run starfighter squadrons or capital shipts in small to medium conflicts, or play important command roles in larger conflicts.  This could simply rules on how to direct groups of minions, or how groups of minions can be used to enchance a PC's or Nemesis' rolls.  Really, I think that there should be rules for improving your unit (ground or space) akin to character development, in other words, a character's unit should be another aspect of that player (see Rank Advancement below)

I really think unit combat will not be part of the gameplay for "Age of Rebellion", since Star Wars usually focus on the characters own adventures and the narrative setting around that. Even in Return of the Jedi, when Han had a whole squad of troopers and an army of Ewoks to help him take down the shield generator on Endor, the story was centered on Han, Chewie, Leia, R2 and C-3PO.

Squad combat reminds me more of games like Mordheim then Star Wars....

Same logic would apply to rules for capital ship combat....

Special ops and Ressource Combat :

The idea is pretty neat, but I guess the core problem is that it depends on your GM style of mastering. In my gaming group, after each game I give a report of progress in the sector so that the players know what has transpired during their mission ; they then choose what they will do, where they will strike to advance the Alliance's mission in this sector. I believe the more rules there are, the less freedom you have.

Races :

In EotE, there are six races (if you remove humans and droids), I think FFG will probably add 6 more races in AoR and in FaD. I also think they'll choose iconic races bound to those time periods... For Age of Rebellion, like previously stated, I'd go with Mon Calamari and Sulustans. For Force and Destiny, I'd bet Togruta, Nautolans, Kel Dor.

It's rather hard to find good iconic races for the Empire... you could think of Chagrian or Kubaz, but they aren't really loved by the fans... For FaD, i'd probably vote for Zabrak with Darth Maul and Savage Opress.

What other races you think would fit those themes ???

Classes :
I also believe they will keep their 6 count for classes in AoR and FaD ; there will probably be another universal specialization like FSE. This is my idea of classes/specs for Age of Rebellion.

- Officer : Admiral (mix of pilot and leadership talents) ; General (mix of combat and leadership talents) ; Tactician (mix of knowledges and defensives talents).

- Crewman : Pilot ; Mechanic ; Space commando

- Science officer : Doctor ; Engineer ; Comscan (mix of Fringer, Scholar and Slicer talent trees)

- Specops : Infiltration (mix of stealth and combat talents) ; Sabotage (mix of slicing and demolition talents) ; Support (mix of medic, repair and defensive talents)

- Diplomat : Scholar, Politico and Traders talent trees would fit well with this one.

- Trooper : Urban warfare ; Jungle Guerilla ; Frontline assault

As for the universal spec, I'd add Dark Side Adept (think Mara Jade, the Emperor's Hand) with Force Power : Injury and Force Power : Improve Characteristics... And in Force and Destiny, the universal spec could be Jedi Hunter, with jedi tracking and force resisting talents.

What do you guys think ???

Edited by JP_JP, 11 July 2013 - 08:23 AM.

#40 Nashable

Nashable

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:45 AM

Special Operations and Resource Combat

You can do this in any setting, really, buy I'd like to emphasis placed on it in the AoR system.  Rules governing the effects of sabotage and supply line disruption in the abstract narrative setting that we have currently.  I want the players to be able to decide how to tackle an enemy, instead of the GM saying "Your CO says you have to do X to give us a chance to win" and having these rules would be part of such a system to d

Currently I plan to work on a new game system that GMs can plug into their campaigns per rulebook. For EotE I'm at a early planning stage for a trading module, if they don't use the idea above for AoR then this my project for when that book is out :)

Member of the Brick Vader fan-club (NSFW)
Author of the award winning Ship Repair for GMs (Detailed | Simple)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS