Reach of the Kraken Preview

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 HoyaLawya

HoyaLawya

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:13 AM

Hurts mulligans and easier for your deck to be milled. I don't see that as much of a competitive threat unless mill becomes viable outside against this matchup. In essence very little drawback for a search ability from the beginning of the game.

#22 BBSB12

BBSB12

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:10 AM

Question is how often would it hurt mulligans. Because it's not like you mulligan because you draw bad cards (since assumption is that all cards in deck do something good for you), but because you draw bad combination of cards. And if it's combination that you care about then probability of you redrawing 4 events and 3 4-cost characters is probably about twice out of 30 card deck compared to 60, but it's just very small anyway (let's say on the order of percent and doubles to being on the order of percent with 30 card deck).

#23 Skowza

Skowza

• Members
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

It might increase the value of mulligans simply based on the info you get about whats in your deck.  A mulligan when you only have a 30 card deck means that anything that you drew into the first time and didnt get the second time is less than 20 cards away and will probably be drawn within the first few Rounds, and you can adjust your strategy based on the knowledge that those cards are coming soon. 

Also, is it a boon that you don't add cards from the Hold to your hand until the end of Phase, meaning they cannot be lost to I challenge, Ghost of HH, etc, or is it a weakness b/c you want to play the cards that come from the Hold that same phase?  Will Black Sails players overextend at the beginning in the hopes of getting board control to push through the challenges to maximize the number of cards they get from the Hold, or is overextending even more dangerous since a reset could leave you with a precarious position of maybe not drawing enough characters to get back in the game b/c they are all stuck in the Hold?  Or will everyone just reveal Naval Reinforcements as their first Plot every time so as to look through the Hold so they know exactly what is available in their deck? 

Will icon-stripping be the best counter to this Agenda since a player can't touch the Hold if he/she has no N characters to win challenges?  Many questions…

#24 stormwolf27

stormwolf27

• Members
  • 623 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:35 PM

Now that I go back and think about it, you could strategize based on what is in your hold before you decide whether to mulligan or not. The reason I say this is, if you look at the wording of the agenda and plot card spoiled for this, there is no indication you don't know exactly what is in your hold.

The Black Sails says "When you win a challenge with…choose a card in the hold…" not "search for"

Naval Reinforcements says "reveal a character from your hold…" not "search for and reveal a character…"

This makes me think that, as soon as your deck has been divided into draw and hold, you, as the owner of that hold, have full right to look at/through your hold at any time, including before setup to decide whether or not to mulligan… or to simply know what's missing from your draw deck to plan accordingly.

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men." - Willy Wonka

#25 stormwolf27

stormwolf27

• Members
  • 623 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:39 PM

stormwolf27 said:

Now that I go back and think about it, you could strategize based on what is in your hold before you decide whether to mulligan or not. The reason I say this is, if you look at the wording of the agenda and plot card spoiled for this, there is no indication you don't know exactly what is in your hold.

The Black Sails says "When you win a challenge with…choose a card in the hold…" not "search for"

Naval Reinforcements says "reveal a character from your hold…" not "search for and reveal a character…"

This makes me think that, as soon as your deck has been divided into draw and hold, you, as the owner of that hold, have full right to look at/through your hold at any time, including before setup to decide whether or not to mulligan… or to simply know what's missing from your draw deck to plan accordingly.

That being said, without more "get X out of The Hold" stuff, which I'm sure is coming in the future packs, this one will still sit in my agenda box for a bit.

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men." - Willy Wonka

#26 1000thCommander

1000thCommander

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

I just logged in to nitpick on a card title I saw in a preview.

"Fleet from Lysene". Hopefully they write it correctly. Either "Fleet from Lys" since the name of the city is Lys, or "Lysene Fleet" as you would call someone/something from Lys.

#27 Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr

• Members
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:36 AM

1000thCommander said:

I just logged in to nitpick on a card title I saw in a preview.

"Fleet from Lysene". Hopefully they write it correctly. Either "Fleet from Lys" since the name of the city is Lys, or "Lysene Fleet" as you would call someone/something from Lys.

The card is called "Fleet from Lys" on the printed cards.

#28 mdc273

mdc273

• Members
  • 975 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:48 AM

stormwolf27 said:

I understand this, and I don't typically have bad setups (there's that one game in about 40 where my characters retreat to the middle of the deck, but it happens). My point is there's too much risk of not drawing anything that can allow you to get something out of the hold at the moment. There will be, I'm sure, more options later, but for this first CP, I think this agenda will sit by the wayside for a bit. I'm just underwhelmed at its current playability. Perhaps FFG should have waited a couple packs to fill a CP slot with this one.

If you want to get a naval icon, you will. It just depends on how much you want it. If you have 9 characters with a naval icon in your deck, you have a 90% chance of drawing one on the first turn (with a 4 card set-up). If you have 6 (which every deck can currently do) you have a 78.6% chance. This can be extrapolated out to say that you have a 95.4% chance of having a naval icon in the top 13 cards or bottom 13 cards. This means that if you are running Naval Reinforcements, it is extremely unlikely (<5% chance) to not have a naval icon in hand during the Marshalling phase of the first turn to take advantage of the agenda's ability.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS