The Smuggler's Den Episode 4 - SW LCG Podcast

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 TinyGrimes

TinyGrimes

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:59 PM

Today we put the 4th edition of the Smuggler's Den. This week Tiny and Ben discuss the power that is the Sith and provide an in depth discussion of how to build a Jedi deck which stands up to the Sith. Moreover, they provide extensive strategies for playing the deck. As usual the hosts also identify their card of the week and Ben tests Tiny's pod knowledge.

I'm very curious to hear your feedback as I think this is our best episode yet. But I'm curious to see if people find this kind of depth helpful.

http://www.cardgamed...-episode-4-r132

#2 Roman_Sandal

Roman_Sandal

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:12 PM

Will it be on itunes?

#3 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,115 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:32 AM

Roman_Sandal said:

Will it be on itunes?

I have been checking all of yesterday and today and so far still not there. 

#4 Oneabsolute

Oneabsolute

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:14 PM

I have listened to the first two on my droid and enjoyed them both. Downloading three and four right now and am looking forward to listening to them. Keep up the good work guys.

#5 Magni

Magni

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

Greetings! I enjoy the podcast.  I play under Magni on OCTGN and I was thinking about our game tonight, and the podcast.  I have always felt Sith has a bit of a boost over the other decks but i really dont think its "Sith" that are to blame, i simply think its vader.  And when i really got thinking about it i realized that almost no LS cards have passive effects that dramatically help them build more consistent combos or at all.  Vader, the Emp, and Moff Tark all have passive effects that are game changing and exert no cost on the DS player allowing them to have a big advantage, a solid card to commit to the force, and no risk of death EXCEPT, rebel assault, han/luke, deflection, and blaster cannons.

The fact that Vader has 2/4 force chokes base, at 0 cost that are magnified into by limited rebel assaults by a passive ability that does not even exhaust him allowing him to throw down essentially a limited rebel assault once per turn with no cost is what seems out of balance when i have so few options to obsorb that damage (maybe if i could place it like the cannons it would not seem so powerful). 

LS does have some big tempo change cards, like a new hope but they are forced into pods that in this current meta seem awkward and innifective.  Vader is an all in one combo pod, he comes with the cards you need to make him really effective.

I think the biggest problem cards in the game sofar are simply free damage cards, cards with no cost that destroy the tempo of the game.  I mentioned Valar to you tonight and my desire for it in SW, but I gotta go back on that statement.  Sith and Imperial Weeny decks are not a big problem at all and are both fun to play and play agenst, but with just 1 card vader on the table the game changes and it is impossible to break through the weeny wall, he simply exerts to much control for a card that does not need to engage to be effective.

As a whole, vader allows you to put him down, do nothing and continue playing as normal it does take skill and if you pull a bad hand it can go south - but if you get him out at the right time, and just time your events to 1 per turn and you will display a signifcant dominance over the games tempo, the more i think about it, it just seems so odd to me that there are so few passive efects for the LS, nothing i can play that i dont have to risk loosing to take effect.  In conclusion i think this will begin to mitigate as soon as the hoth cycle starts - decks will gain or loose advantages for using hoth objectives, and the Rebels get that wonderful 0 cost +3 health enhancement!  Yoda with 5 HP might not be so weak.

Toodles

Magni

+++ Engagement: Resolve Strikes +++

magni strikes with greedo for 2 unit damage to Han Solo and 1 Blast Damage.

#6 MasterJediAdam

MasterJediAdam

• Members
  • 662 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:59 PM

Tiny

Can you post all the links in one thread for those who are catching up? Thanks brother!

Welcome to the machine!

#7 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,115 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:13 PM

Adam, if you follow Tiny's link or just visit cardgamedb you will find every episode right there on their podcast section. 

#8 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,115 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:36 AM

Podcast is now available for those with iOS devices. 

#9 MasterJediAdam

MasterJediAdam

• Members
  • 662 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:32 AM

Toqtamish said:

Adam, if you follow Tiny's link or just visit cardgamedb you will find every episode right there on their podcast section. 

Thanks, I couldn't find it … Now that I have my cards, I plan to read them through, play a few games and then hit the 'casts.

Welcome to the machine!

#10 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,115 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:23 AM

MasterJediAdam said:

Toqtamish said:

Thanks, I couldn't find it … Now that I have my cards, I plan to read them through, play a few games and then hit the 'casts.

Card Game DB Podcasts Section

#11 D.Knight Sevus

D.Knight Sevus

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:57 AM

I'm really enjoying the podcast, but I actually have drawn some very different conclusions so far.

First of all, I actually really, really like Jedi in Hiding. Yes, she only has one damage capacity. Yes, that means she is very fragile. But she has the very important Force User trait. That means she can draw you an extra card that you might actually get to use with Forgotten Heroes and she can carry a Lightsaber or Shii-Cho Training in a pinch. She also has a base of 2 Unit Damage, meaning that if she does live to strike, she carries the most punch out of the generic Light Side units. And if she eats a Force Choke, (or, god forbid, Force Lightning) that's one less Choke aimed at my important units.

I had a lot more that I wanted to say, but I seem to have forgotten it at the moment. I'll add stuff later if it comes back to me.

#12 Roman_Sandal

Roman_Sandal

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:51 PM

Tiny,

Could you please put episode 4 on itunes if possible. I am unable to download it from the card db for some unknown reason.

Thanks

#13 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,115 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:08 AM

Roman_Sandal said:

Tiny,

Could you please put episode 4 on itunes if possible. I am unable to download it from the card db for some unknown reason.

Thanks

Roman it has been up since Yesterday. Make sure you use the new podcast app. 

#14 thopol

thopol

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:35 PM

Thank you for the podcasts.  I had been figuring things out on my own with one opponent, and it was very enlightening to hear about things from a more experienced and competitive perspective.  I also caught some mistakes we had been making with rules and evaluating cards.

I am expecting my second core set in the next couple of days, so I can start looking at the game from the same perspective as everyone else.  I suppose I ought to deal with my .NET framework problems so I can hop on OCTGN.

Anyway, I appreciate that you guys are taking the time to do a podcast for the community.  I'm looking forward to the next episode.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS