Beginner Advice? Especially purchases

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:17 AM

If you want to go wih 2 Ywings, drop a TIE Advanced from your shopping list. There is a subculture of TIE Advanced enthusiasts who enjoy running 2 or more, but for the most part, you'll only be using at most 1 after we get Wave 2.

The thread for my Let em Fly campaign. Always looking for military overseas addresses to send packages to.

http://community.fan...ort-our-troops/

#22 Cid_MCDP

Cid_MCDP

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:45 AM

I'd agree with Hothie- if you're going to ditch something, ditch the Advanced. 

I think the problem with the Advanced is there are only two named pilots, and one of them is much better to use than the other.

The Wave 1 ships that undeniably see the most use are the X-Wing for the Rebels and the TIE Fighter for the Imperials. I feel like this is due in no small part to all those named pilots available to each. Pilot special abilities are way more important/ influential/ whatever to a player than any upgrade currently available and as those ships have so many special abilities via so many pilots, they get used way more.

The Y-Wing, while also only having two named pilots, at least do have useful abilities and neither is just massively better than the other. Steele in an Advanced though just isn't quite right. I don't know if he's too expensive or Vader's too cheap or maybe with Wave 2 upgrades (that were suppoed to come out just 2-3 months after Wave 1 originally) he gets super nasty, but I've tried to use Steele, specifically in several games, to try and figure out the hidden "Oh my God!" trick with him, but it just isn't there. At least not with the Wave 1 stuff. Yeah, there's some potential with his special ability plus missiles, plus Marksmanship, but compare that to virtually any other pilot's ability in the game and it's just too contextual and relies on too many variables to really justify using him all the time instead of Vader.  

#23 heychadwick

heychadwick

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:55 AM

Maybe here is a better question:

If I have these ships below, what's the best thing to add to the mix?  Bear in mind that I am thinking smaller ship only, but of any wave.

4 Xwings

1 Ywing

5 Tie Fighters

1 Tie Advanced

#24 jetsetter

jetsetter

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:12 AM

More than likely, the Interceptor.

#25 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:20 AM

Yeah, with what you have, save your money for wave 2. Get maybe 2 of each Awing and Interceptor, and you'll have lots of possibilities for squad building tht will keep you playing new squads for a while.

The thread for my Let em Fly campaign. Always looking for military overseas addresses to send packages to.

http://community.fan...ort-our-troops/

#26 Grape Starburst

Grape Starburst

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:05 AM

Maybe add another TIE Fighter or 2 since there's a number of 6-7 TIE squads. If you don't think you'd ever actually play a TIE Fighter swarm then just wait for wave 2.

#27 heychadwick

heychadwick

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:01 AM

Well…..the vendor didn't have any extra starter boxes.  I didn't want to wait.  I went ahead and ordered:

1 Star Wars X-Wing: TIE Advanced Expansion Pack Waiting $11.95
 3 Star Wars X-Wing: TIE Fighter Expansion Pack Waiting $35.85
 1 Star Wars X-Wing: X-Wing Dice Expansion Pack Waiting $6.35
 3 Star Wars X-Wing: X-Wing Expansion Pack Waiting $35.85
 1 Star Wars X-Wing: Y-Wing Expansion Pack Waiting $11.95

Order Total $109.09

So, I don't get double templates or starter guys, but I get everything else.  

Can't wait!!!

#28 The_Brown_Bomber

The_Brown_Bomber

• Members
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:29 PM

heychadwick said:

Well…..the vendor didn't have any extra starter boxes.  I didn't want to wait.  I went ahead and ordered:

1 Star Wars X-Wing: TIE Advanced Expansion Pack Waiting $11.95
 3 Star Wars X-Wing: TIE Fighter Expansion Pack Waiting $35.85
 1 Star Wars X-Wing: X-Wing Dice Expansion Pack Waiting $6.35
 3 Star Wars X-Wing: X-Wing Expansion Pack Waiting $35.85
 1 Star Wars X-Wing: Y-Wing Expansion Pack Waiting $11.95

Order Total $109.09

So, I don't get double templates or starter guys, but I get everything else.  

Can't wait!!!

looks like a solid start. id def look to add 2 interceptors when wave2 hits stores. You will eventually want an A-Wing in the mix as well.

"There will be a substantial reward for anyone who finds the Millenium Falcon. You are free to use whatever means necessary, but I want them alive. No disintegration!".

Lord Vader

#29 BigDogg

BigDogg

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:18 PM

heychadwick said:

Maybe here is a better question:

If I have these ships below, what's the best thing to add to the mix?  Bear in mind that I am thinking smaller ship only, but of any wave.

4 Xwings

1 Ywing

5 Tie Fighters

1 Tie Advanced

I think I would add one or maybe two y-wings and another advanced. Mainly for the skill and equipment cards that come with them. I was planning on getting 5 A-wing and 5 Interceptors but have now decided to only get 2 of each as the maxed out one ship build is not much fun (IMHO). I won a Falcon and will pickup a Slave 1 but that's about it for the big ships.

• Rebels: 5 X-wing, 3 Y-wing, 3 A-wing, 3 B-wing, 2 Hawk 290 and  a YT-1300
  • Imperial: 9 Tie fighters, 3 Advanced, 3 Interceoters, 2 Bombers, a Shuttle and Firspray 31

#30 Cid_MCDP

Cid_MCDP

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:29 PM

heychadwick- my blog site is officially up and running now. Had to do a different domain than what I'd planned though, so your bookmark is probably going to stop working here in a few days. The new domain is- 

http://www.TheMetalBikini.com

(capitals solely there to make it easier to read, of course). 

Updated daily through the week!

#31 heychadwick

heychadwick

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:57 AM

Cid_MCDP said:

heychadwick- my blog site is officially up and running now. Had to do a different domain than what I'd planned though, so your bookmark is probably going to stop working here in a few days. The new domain is- 

Thanks for the new link, but I am soley disappointed that I see no metal bikinis when I go to that page…..   reir

#32 Cid_MCDP

Cid_MCDP

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:26 AM

heychadwick said:

Cid_MCDP said:

Thanks for the new link, but I am soley disappointed that I see no metal bikinis when I go to that page…..   reir

Lols, give me time! 

Changing the domain name was a very last minute kind of thing that's more or less going to change the complexion of the entire site. As I work full-time and take care of two little kids, it's unfortunately gonna take me a few days to get it together! :)

#33 heychadwick

heychadwick

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:08 AM

Got my stuff! Sorted it into a spare Plano case I had. Eager to play a game.

#34 heychadwick

heychadwick

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:43 AM

I just wanted to report in and say THANK YOU to everyone for helping me pick out my ships.  It really did help.  In fact, it helped me ensure that I got enough for both factions.  I'm also talking to all my neighbors who are of the same age as me.  They ALL want to play, even the non-gamers.  I'm thinking I can really start something here.  I like the fact that you can play a game pretty fast.  Don't have time for a full 100 pts? You can still have fun with just a few ships.

I did go to the local gaming store last night and they had a bunch of space boards, already!  I was quite happy about that.  There were also some other older war gamers there playing Xwing, too!  They helped clarify some of the rules for me, too.  I played my first real game with all the new stuff and 100 points.  It was a blast!  This game is really easy to play, but has such nuance.  I can see how list building can be really fun.  

My local store also bought a League kit, but it hasn't come yet.  They also don't have anyone who has promised to run it yet.  I'm thinking about it.  I hope I can run it and play, though.  That's the only thing.  

I do have one thing I am not sure on.  How to carry my minis.  Oh, I've read all the varoius threads.  One thing is is that I don't want to spend ANY money, if possible.  That really narrows down the choices.  I have a spare Plano tray that I can use to hold stuff.  Right now, I fit in my cardboard chits and the ships in there.

I do have a piece of foam that I got from…..somewhere.  You pluck out the foam bits to make a shape you want.  It would be good to make one so that I can fit my ships in on the bases.

The only problem is….how to store and carry it?  It's an odd shape and doesn't fit into much.  I found some tupperware containers that work.  I can get a bigger one than this that will let me fit in the Plano tray, too.  The problem is…it's a big container to tote around.  

I also have a laptop bag, though.  Barely used.  Right now, I can fit in the starter box and the Plano tray with no problem!  It's lightweight and easy to cary around.  The straps are pretty comfy, too!  

So…..what would be the best choice?  Ease of carrying or ease of setup?  I am using the laptop bag, but it would be so nice for set up.  I'm just not sure which is better.  

#35 Cid_MCDP

Cid_MCDP

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:44 AM

I use a similar setup. 

I have my ship minis and the cardboard (almost) squares that go on the bases in an old Plano case I had lying around my garage that used to serve as bitz storage for my 40k stuff. 

In the Core Set box, I keep pretty much everything else- templates, dice cards, counters, etc. 

In a uncharacteristically lucid moment of foresight, I kept all of the little baggies my Core Sets and Expansion stuff came in. As such, I have a bag for like everything! Goes a long way to keeping stuff in place inside that Core box. Oh, and I even kept that plastic shell thing to board up the gaping hole in the box, so no worries there either. 

To transport, the Plano box and Core Set box go into my US Men's National Team backpack along with a 3' x 3' piece of black felt I've painted a star background onto. 

One thing I did a few weeks ago that saved me a TON of time was making a "pickup game bag". Like most of y'all, I have a lot of counters- many more than I'm ever likely to need in a 100 point game, regardless of faction, so I went through and got together a bag full of smaller bags of tokens I'm likely to need in a game- 5 or 6 evades, 5 or 6 focuses, 8 or 10 shields, 5 or 6 stresses, 4 pairs of target locks, etc.

It's great for pickup games as it's much quicker than digging all that stuff out. Makes my setup go much more quickly.  

#36 heychadwick

heychadwick

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:03 AM

Cid_MCDP said:

It's great for pickup games as it's much quicker than digging all that stuff out. Makes my setup go much more quickly.  

That is very clever…

I looked through some of the Plano kits that I thought were full of my Empire troopers.  Turns out that I had a whole one not used at all yet.  It is different than the other tray that I tried.  So, I tried to see if I could fit in the ships on the bases in this one.  SUCCESS!  I spent the past hour changing around my whole set up.  I now leave the original box at home and use just these two in my laptop bag.

I like the idea of a "go" back.  Maybe one for Empire (with Dodge, Stress, & Focus) and another for Empire (4 matching Weapons Locks, Stress, and Focus tokens).  

#37 heychadwick

heychadwick

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:46 AM

Cid_MCDP said:

That is very clever…

I looked through some of the Plano kits that I thought were full of my Empire troopers.  Turns out that I had a whole one not used at all yet.  It is different than the other tray that I tried.  So, I tried to see if I could fit in the ships on the bases in this one.  SUCCESS!  I spent the past hour changing around my whole set up.  I now leave the original box at home and use just these two in my laptop bag.

I like the idea of a "go" back.  Maybe one for Empire (with Dodge, Stress, & Focus) and another for Empire (4 matching Weapons Locks, Stress, and Focus tokens).  

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS