I was playing an Imperial list yesterday I got two games in and I thought I would share my insights:
BTW I very much stole this list from the forums except the Sootir Fell combo(which was the lowest performer):
Back Stabber engines upgrade
Mauler Engines upgrade
Turr Push the limits
Sootir Fell - Daredevil - I have to rethink this because it didn't come up as much as I would have liked.
Game One I played - A-wing Homing missile, Wedge with R2 D2, and 2 x rookie pilots. This was a newer squad for my opponent and she was having growing pains using them. Still it was an awesome game.
1) I forced myself to try to boost as my action as much as I could. I wanted try it out, and I have to say WOW. I think with the fact that I knew where my opponents final position of her ships(I had mostly higher pilot skill) I was easily able to get into a firing arc where my ships could shoot and hers couldn't. Comboing barrel roll and boost is just fantastic.
2) You have to be extra careful setting up you positions, because if you expose one of your ties they are still ties and they die very fast when X-wings are firing at range one.
3) In tight. I believe that rebel ships (barring the A-wing) are better in tight than tie's. There ability to go forward one or bank 1 gives them the edge I think in the pack. I know that Tie's have the sharp 1, but that is it the next shortest move they have is 2 forward. What I have learnt from this is once the pile starts setting up it is best to get out of dodge with a forward move five and then regroup and go back in. The Boost again is great for this. I got target locked by the A-wing, and I just flew my Tie out beyond range three regrouped and came back in for the kill before the missiles got to shoot.
Game two I played - 3 Interceptor (pilot skill 4) and three academy pilots. This game I lost, but I took a lot from it. I was playing a sort of swarm and I thought my ties were doomed.
1) Again my high pilot skill allowed me to see where all of his ships were ending up before I moved which was a big advantage. Again I just boosted into lanes where I can shoot and my opponent could not.
*note my secound move with FELL was a K turn 3 which had him in front of 4 ties facing the wrong way!! lesson always double check your dials. LOL
2) when you make that first pass and you 'get out of dodge' I used boost a few times to get myself out of fire ranges. Totally stole Hothie's barrel roll push the limits boost on Turr worked beautifully.
3) The lesson that ended up being the end of me. When you are in tight get out of there rather than doing a sharp 1 or lazy two. What happened was I went to turn and bumped and that in turned bumped my other ship and left me exposed and with out actions. My ties went down like chumps. Until this poin the game looked like it was mine. I was a head in points and I was in a good position, but I got cocky like a kid from Tatooine.
I have to say the game felt more dynamic with this list. Rather than formation flying I was broken up and weaving and dodging. It made the game feel more intense. I am looking forward to seeing how the guys who are going to stick with the low pilot skill formation squads change to adapt to maneuverable squads to keep them in their sites.