Favorite and least favorite investigators

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#41 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:20 AM

In the words of Han Solo when he learned of his chances to successfully navigate an asteroid belt…

"Never tell me the odds!"

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#42 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:22 AM

but, seriously, that's cool that you know that…or care to know that.  pensativo

The Professor

#43 eiterorm

eiterorm

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:50 AM

The Professor said:

but, seriously, that's cool that you know that…or care to know that.  pensativo

This is very basic probability theory, so it doesn't really require any effort. ;-] And, in case you're wondering, I don't memorize odds like this. I just compute them as I go if I need them.

#44 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,602 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:57 AM

http://www.wolframal...1) from 1 to 14

#45 OrionAnderson

OrionAnderson

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:59 AM

Richard Upton Pickman is hot.

Another fun thing about Nun/Gangster is that you can give Michael the Cross right away to help ameliorate his Will problem.

Mark, the Soldier, seems designed to patrol the unstable locations. Immunity to delay doesn't really come up while streetsweeping, and he doesn't have the will/sanity for it. But a high Fight and Sneak score serves him well in the Woods, the Graveyard, and IIRC the Cave? A lot of encounters in the red zones delay you, and if he's lucky enough to have a gate open on him, he gets back in half the time.

#46 Dr.Faust

Dr.Faust

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:16 AM

OrionAnderson said:

Richard Upton Pickman is hot.

Seconded. Even for a--you know, maybe-ghoul-painter. And he's got one of the best senses of humor in all of Lovecraft to boot~!

And I haven't used Mark yet, mostly because I haven't thought of a dynamic team-up for him. Now that I have access to Relationship cards, I do try and use them when I can. I might use Mark when I get ahold of Tony and have them act as Friendly Rivals, simply because both can act as street cleaners OR gate shutters then given their abilities and stats--and the Relationship provides a boost to their designated jobs for DOING their designated jobs.

#47 eiterorm

eiterorm

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:18 AM

OrionAnderson said:

Mark, the Soldier, seems designed to patrol the unstable locations. Immunity to delay doesn't really come up while streetsweeping, and he doesn't have the will/sanity for it. But a high Fight and Sneak score serves him well in the Woods, the Graveyard, and IIRC the Cave? A lot of encounters in the red zones delay you, and if he's lucky enough to have a gate open on him, he gets back in half the time.

Too bad he's not immune to devouring as well, in case that devouring gate shows up. =P

#48 Dr.Faust

Dr.Faust

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:27 AM

Well sheesh, Debbie-Downer! XD

That is a good point though. I have Lurker, but only used it once, so I forgot about the Devouring gates. Still, if you're mindful and just keep him around the Unstable spots by camping in a Stable or Sealed (unless using Gate Bursts) then he is still a viable gate-watcher.

#49 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:09 AM

@ eiterorm: ..and that is why I studied History and International Relations ~ God bless you! 

@ Tibs: Loved the website in a really geeky kind of way

@OrionAnderson ~ great use of the word "ameliorate" ~ just don't see that one enough…

The Professor

#50 subochre

subochre

• Members
  • 475 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:40 PM

Now I'm trying to imagine which combination of investigators would lead to the most out-of-character optimal rearrangement of roles and equipment.  I'm thinking Mark the Gate-Diver, Flamethrower-wielding Dexter (although I guess he did fight in WWI), and Trish the Sorceress.

#51 Dr.Faust

Dr.Faust

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:05 PM

To add to the job-swapping, Hank the Gate diver and Harvey Walters the monster hunter! Give that crazy old codger a .45, a gladius and a Voice of Ra and watch the icor fly!

#52 eiterorm

eiterorm

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:31 AM

The Professor said:

@ eiterorm: ..and that is why I studied History and International Relations ~ God bless you! 

Well, I'm studying for a master's degree in engineering, so I kind of have to know these things. ;-]

#53 OrionAnderson

OrionAnderson

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:32 PM

subochre said:

Now I'm trying to imagine which combination of investigators would lead to the most out-of-character optimal rearrangement of roles and equipment.  I'm thinking Mark the Gate-Diver, Flamethrower-wielding Dexter (although I guess he did fight in WWI), and Trish the Sorceress.

Mark + Sister Mary. Nun with a flamethrower on turn one.

#54 Dr.Faust

Dr.Faust

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:00 PM

OrionAnderson said:

subochre said:

Mark + Sister Mary. Nun with a flamethrower on turn one.

Sounds like a cheap anime premise! XD Effective, though, especially with her Blessing! XD Get that gal Annointed too and she'd be a curse-breaking, holy-fire spewing machine!

#55 Tbla

Tbla

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:45 PM

Or Wilson + Wendy. Little girl with motorcycle, whiskey and a shotgun.

Sounds like something Quentin Tarantino could have made.

#56 eiterorm

eiterorm

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:53 AM

Tbla said:

A minor with a motorcycle, whiskey and shotgun. And she can't get arrested for it while she has an elder sign. =P

#57 Dr.Faust

Dr.Faust

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:17 AM

eiterorm said:

Tbla said:

A minor with a motorcycle, whiskey and shotgun. And she can't get arrested for it while she has an elder sign. =P

"Bless the child" indeed.

#58 jgt7771

jgt7771

Saving the world from cosmic evil since 2006

• Members
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:17 PM

For Wendy, I can only quote Aliens:

"Seventeen DAYS? Hey man, I don't wanna rain on your parade, but we're not gonna last seventeen HOURS! Those things are gonna come in here just like they did before!  And they're gonna come in here AND THEY'RE GONNA GET US!
"HUDSON! This little girl survived longer than that with no weapons and no training!  Right?"
[Newt salutes]
"Well, why don't you put her in charge?!"

For Sister Mary, there may be a lot of new players here who never got to read my first Session ditty.  Let's take the way-back machine to 2006, when I had just a few dozen games under my belt:

http://www.boardgame...-by-sister-mary

What was that noise?

#59 Judgement Dave

Judgement Dave

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:56 PM

jgt7771 said:

For Wendy, I can only quote Aliens:

"Seventeen DAYS? Hey man, I don't wanna rain on your parade, but we're not gonna last seventeen HOURS! Those things are gonna come in here just like they did before!  And they're gonna come in here AND THEY'RE GONNA GET US!
"HUDSON! This little girl survived longer than that with no weapons and no training!  Right?"
[Newt salutes]
"Well, why don't you put her in charge?!"

I've always thought that the best way to deal with many AOs is to dust off and nuke the site from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure.

Of course it won't work on Azathoth as he does it first.

#60 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,522 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:20 PM

Judgement Dave said:

I've always thought that the best way to deal with many AOs is to dust off and nuke the site from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure.

Didn't they say "if we nuke Cthulhu, he'll come back. Radioactive"? [quoting the back cover of Cthulhu Now, I think]

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS