Arkham Completeness question

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 chrismata

chrismata

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:22 AM

My FLGS has recently purchased an entire collection of AH including all the minis and supposedly all the promos also.

I am heading down there today to take a look and make sure its all there. 

I have never played but have always wanted to grab it and for 350 dollars its a friggin steal.

What I need help with is making sure its all there.

I have gleaned from FFG's site that there are 118 miniatures both monsters and investigators.

4 promos given out a Gencon I believe.

8 Expansions (some big box, some little)

Is that mainly what I need to be looking for? 

also besides the first expansion are there any other revised expansions? 

thanks guys!

#2 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,492 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:13 AM

Hi there!

Yeah, 4 promotional AOs released for the Arkham Nights events (three revised versions: Cthulhu, Yig and Hastur, and one brand new AO: Daoloth). 8 expansions (4 small, 4 big). Curse of the Dark Pharaoh is the only set coming in a revised edition.

As for the minis, 48 investigators, and I don't know how many monsters (don't collect them, sorry)

Some other stuff (one Ally card, one special Rumor card and probably something else that I'm not aware of) was released as promo items for the books (in every book there is a coupon, you send to coupon to FFG and they send you back the promo card). Nothing really vital for a complete gaming experience, but still, maybe you could be interested in these as well

Hope this helps

JULIA

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#3 chrismata

chrismata

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:11 AM

I haven't seen any of the novels. 

Are they released mass market (Amazon, Barnes and Nobles, etc..) or just at FFG?

sorry to pester, I tend to lean towards completeness.  :)

#4 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,492 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:30 AM

Hey, no pestering at all :-)

From here you have the links to the three Arkham trilogies on FFG's site (not so sure the first one is actually part 1 in a trilogy, though)

And yes, I see them listed on Amazon as well, so they shouldn't be too difficult to find. That being said, I've read Dance of the Damned. Ugh. If you're ok with reading books because you like to read about characters of your games, then go for them. I won't go for them if searching for something good to read

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#5 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,601 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:03 AM

I'm surprised. I thought Dance of the Damned was good, and would recommend it to a non-Arkham fan. Ghouls of the Miskatonic wasn't so good, though.

#6 Walk

Walk

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:48 AM

I have to agree with Tibs.  Dance is perhaps a bit overdone, yes, but that was clearly what the author was going for, and anyway, it's impossible not to see Lovecraft himself as overdone from a modern sensibility.  I can't speak to any of the others, since I haven't read them, but Dance is a fun read.  As I said, it's slightly overdone, and there are some less-than-interesting sections, but the writing is generally good, the mystery is engaging, the atmosphere is conveyed well, the beasties are suitably disturbing, and it contains one of the most improbably awesome characters I've ever encountered.

#7 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,492 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:37 PM

Walk said:

As I said, it's slightly overdone, and there are some less-than-interesting sections

Yeah, exactly. Dunno, guys, I think it heavily depends on what you're expecting from a book, but for me it was not good. 5 / 10, if I have to give marks. Not a total disaster, but still, there are many other better books around to read and to spend an evening with.

#8 eiterorm

eiterorm

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:21 PM

Walk said:

Dance is perhaps a bit overdone, yes, but that was clearly what the author was going for, and anyway, it's impossible not to see Lovecraft himself as overdone from a modern sensibility.

If you're talking about the bombastic language Lovecraft used in several of his stories, it was also considered bombastic among his contemporaries. It's not just in a modern sensibility that the language is bombastic, but his use of words was always very deliberate.

Literature is just like music: it's all about personal preferences. For instance, a lot of people enjoy the Twilight series and the A Song of Ice and Fire series, but they're not my cup of tea. And up here in the cold north of Europe, it might seem as though noone reads anything else than modern crime fiction novels about miserable, awkward and unsociable police investigators who live in solitude and don't see much of their families. And then they make a movie or a TV show based on the bestsellers, and the people rejoice a second time. That, too, isn't my cup of tea. =P

#9 Jake yet again

Jake yet again

• Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:22 PM

eiterorm said:

And up here in the cold north of Europe, it might seem as though noone reads anything else than modern crime fiction novels about miserable, awkward and unsociable police investigators who live in solitude and don't see much of their families. And then they make a movie or a TV show based on the bestsellers, and the people rejoice a second time. That, too, isn't my cup of tea. =P

Yeah, but I bet the writers makes a Killing. ;) (Sorry, couldn't resist)

Lovecraft Country Horror - A completely FREE Big Box expansion for Arkham Horror, exploring the minor locations of the Cthulhu Mythos. Contains: Lovecraft Country Board, 16 Investigators, 4 Ancient Ones, 16 Skills, 32 Common Items, 24 Unique Items, 10 Spells, 16 Music of Erich Zann cards, 76 Leads, 4 Allies, 32 Monsters, 24 Injuries and Madnesses, 54 Mythos Cards, 41 Outer World Encounters, 52 Location Encounters for each Neighbourhood.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS