• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 Laban Shrewsbury

Laban Shrewsbury

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:59 AM

Avalanche Master said:

I cannot see how your method could possibly work. You immediately know from move one where Jack is.

No, you know where he was, not where he is. Apart from night 3 (which is incidentally the best chance the police get in the whole game - a fact which does actually lead to one potential police strategy), then Jack is a move ahead of the police. Given the tools at his disposal it's going to be pure luck if the police catch him early on. Once he's escaped the net he's gone for the night.

Avalanche Master said:

Extending the night gives the detectives more chances of extending Jacks trail.

Well, yes, but if you're the Jack player and you know the police are guessing badly (and they will be guessing once the trail goes cold), then you know that's just not going to happen. If Jack is playing to maximise his chances of winning the game he'll take as long as possible to get home. This makes the game incredibly dull for long periods of time - "I search for clues at 100", "Nope", "101?", "Zip", "102 then?", "Nothing there either".

If you've played the game and successfully employed a strategy to catch a clever Jack player then I'd be delighted to hear how you did it. It would give a new lease of life to a game I really wanted to like but didn't.

#22 Avalanche Master

Avalanche Master

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:36 PM

Laban Shrewsbury said:

If you've played the game and successfully employed a strategy to catch a clever Jack player then I'd be delighted to hear how you did it. It would give a new lease of life to a game I really wanted to like but didn't.

A clever jack can only be caught by cleverer detectives.

Some tips are to hang back, and don't overtighten the net too quickly. You'll end up moving past Jack. It is often wise to expand rather than contract, which will force Jack to detour even further.

Concentrate on some of the junctions, and wait. Jack will again be fored to detour, or attempt to use a Carriage or Shortcut. Again ,don't rush in, but widen the netalways checking behind you first.

Making an Arrest rather than an assumption  can sometimes be just as effective. In certain cases if Jack isn't there on the arrest, you'll know he hasn't been there at all.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS