Canon Characters

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 Hygric

Hygric

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:07 AM

Paladin, I've re-read my post and I am sorry that it sounded so arrogant and if it caused offence.  Sincere appologies.

This issue (stating out major NPC's) is an issue that I feel passionately about.

I used to crave stat lines for major NPC's of the campaign setting (AD&D Greyhawk, Shadowrun etc etc) but then I got to play and run a game called SLA Industries.  The major NPC's in that setting were never, and will never be given stat blocks.  It was a revelation.  It keeps them in the realm of the mysterious, the intangible.  If I need a major NPC to succeed, or fail a check to drive the plot, I can.  They are made up of the purest of GM-Handwaveium, the most powerful substance know at a role-playing table.

As for the comment about who you game with, I have been gaming with most of the members of my group for 24 years.  Running games for 29 years.  I would not even describe my 15 year old son who plays with us old grognards as a power-gamer.  A lot of people have come and gone over the years, but I have been blessed with my players, a really cool group of assorted sentients that I have the sincere privilege of running games for.

Even given that, we have had our moments like in 3rd ed DnD where a mage in the party crafted an epic level spell purely to slay Elminster with literally no chance of survival (VERY long running campaign, long story).  How could that happen?  He had a stat-block.

#22 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:58 AM

If players want to kill it bad enough, not having a stat block may just make it easier for them.

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#23 Col. Orange

Col. Orange

• Members
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:34 AM

If players want to kill it bad enough, not having a stat block may just make it easier for them.

Nah.

:)

What's written above is meant with love

#24 DanteRotterdam

DanteRotterdam

• Members
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:39 AM

Sure, if their GM sucks...

#25 Maelora

Maelora

• Members
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:36 AM

Everyone knows my opinion, which is why I arranged for most of them to suffer an especially grisly death, or made older to fulfill a background, behind-the-scenes role.  Rescuing princesses or blowing up Death Stars should be the job of PCs, not NPCs.

As whafrog mentioned, the old WEG game frequently went overboard on the Mary Sues, and I'm glad FFG has thus far seen fit to keep the cameos to a minimum (also, providing stats for the likes of Vader or Yoda or Boba Fett are simply going to cause fan arguments, as you won't be able to please everyone...)

That said, I'm mostly interested in the next FFG adventure, because it has a canon character (Lando) in it.  Now personally I quite like him, and he's not so big a role as to overshadow the PCs.  He could probably be removed without affecting the original movies overmuch; Wedge or someone could have taken his role later on. 

So I'm very intrigued as to whether a) he will have stats at all, and what they look like, and b) what they will say if the PCs just decide to gun him down for some reason.  Will they make him immune to blaster fire, or just say they can't do it because of Plot Armour? Or just shrug and say you can let the dice fall where they may and make it up as you go along?

I think how they treat him will give us a good idea of their overall attitude to 'canon characters'. 

Edited by Maelora, 05 February 2014 - 11:36 AM.

• Shakespearian_Soldier likes this

#26 MKX

MKX

• Members
  • 864 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:39 AM

How could that happen?

I really dont like forgotten realms and Ed Greenwood's Elminster books, that's how it happened!

#27 Shamrock

Shamrock

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 03:08 AM

There are a number of things to consider... not the least being time-line.  If Solo, Organa, Skywalker, etc... are stated, it would be very early in their careers.  

In truth, I kinda hope we don't see them, because right now they are larger then life, but once my players have stats to base off, they can say "I'm a much better pilot then solo", etc... which lends them to try and beat the run times, and completely veers off course.  Might be fun for a session or two, but I'm not sure what I should do with them once they over take the main characters, without the game getting way out of hand.  Part of the appeal of the game, to my group, is the familiarity of the setting.  Once the main characters are no longer "great", then the players take over being the center of the universe.   I'm sure that can be worked with, but it does re-work the "familiarity" aspect.

That's just me though. 

I thought I read something about the Jewel of Yavin adventure having stats for Lando, Lobot, and a few others on cloud city.  If that holds true, I can't see them leaving out the others, at some point.

Edited by Shamrock, 06 February 2014 - 03:09 AM.

Be well,

Sham

#28 Col. Orange

Col. Orange

• Members
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 03:44 AM

what they will say if the PCs just decide to gun him down for some reason.

[A door opens and another Lando Calrissian steps through]

"Did you really expect Billy Dee Williams wouldn't send a biosculpted decoy to meet with such murderous scum?"

BLAM!

[Another door opens and another Lando Calrissian steps through]

"Did you really expect Billy Dee Williams wouldn't send a biosculpted decoy to meet with such murderous scum?"

BLAM!

[Yet another door opens and yet another Lando Calrissian steps through]

BLAM!

Somewhere in a control booth:

"Four's my limit - I don't want to run out of decoys, after all.  Let's just waste 'em."

Edited by Col. Orange, 06 February 2014 - 03:46 AM.

• Raistlinrox likes this

What's written above is meant with love

#29 Shakespearian_Soldier

Shakespearian_Soldier

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:59 AM

A question relating to canon characters, but not whether they are stated or not: which iconics have you introduced or cameo'd in your games? Thus far, I've done Guri and Bossk.

"Beg for your life. No, doing so won't save you - but it will make your death more amusing to watch."
- Vago the Hutt; Star Wars: Edge of the Empire

#30 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:21 AM

I've used Dengar and Jabba.

#31 Shakespearian_Soldier

Shakespearian_Soldier

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:25 AM

Gotta love Jabba. :) I've made references to him, but that's the extent of it:

Vraay watched Guri's progress about the room carefully; the two guards, neither of which belonged to her, were purposefully ignored. "I am more than capable of contributing to the Black Sun. An arrangement would benefit us both."

"You more than us, I suspect," said Guri. "Your operations here are impressive, Vraay, but I'm not yet convinced that you're a better fit than, say, Borvola."

Vraay's eyes narrowed minutely. "Xizor would choose a Hutt over one of his own?"

"Prince Xizor measures individuals on results, not on breeding; and Borvola has been a longer resident of this sector than yourself." Guri paused at the edge of the room, and turned more fully toward the Falleen.

"That may be so, but my contacts within this area of business far exceed the Hutt's."

"That's a bold claim."

"I have taken steps to ensure that it is yet an accurate one," Vraay said, smiling very slightly. She gestured for Guri to accept a drink from the assortment on offer, but the blonde-haired woman declined with a wave. Vraay took up her own crimson cocktail and continued, "I know that the Black Sun has 'acquired' the Besadii kajidic through Durga, but even the profits made from Ylesia's spice won't match what I am offering."

Guri's perfect brow rose. "You are remarkably well informed."

"A sign, perhaps, that I am worth more consideration than the cursory appraisal that you've so far afforded me," Vraay politely replied. She was sat now in her high backed chair; there were others available about the chamber, but she made no invitation for Guri to occupy one.

For a long moment, the Human was silent, openly watching the Falleen as she sipped elegantly from her cup. Neither spoke, but neither did either of them seem uncomfortable or unfavoured by the lapse of discourse. At last, when her drink had been drained, Vraay set it down and added, "I know that the Black Sun has flirted with the idea of gaining a greater foothold in Hutt Space through the Desilijic, but Jabba's interest is in his own profits and the advancement of his own clan."

"And you lack such self-interest?"

"I do not, but whereas the Hutt considers Black Sun an ally, I consider it my birth right." Vraay leaned forward, resting her chin upon a slender palm as she locked eyes with Guri. "A place within your organisation, recognition of my contributions and a chance to take a more direct role in the evolution of its future. These are my motivations - and I think we'll both agree that such things go hand-in-hand with putting the Black Sun first, in every respect."

Guri seemed to consider the Falleen's words for a lengthy moment; then, with a slight nod, she said, "I will take that into consideration."

"Beg for your life. No, doing so won't save you - but it will make your death more amusing to watch."
- Vago the Hutt; Star Wars: Edge of the Empire

#32 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:03 AM

My players got involved in a rather nasty swoop race/Tusken hunt sponsored by Jabba. Dengar was a competitor in the event. It turned out rather badly for the PCs.

#33 Paladin132

Paladin132

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:49 PM

Hygric, no worries. I should have not taken it personally, and I didn't truly but worded my response more harshly than intended as well. 

My opinion is I game with adults. If I have a problem with them I tell them about it and we work through it. I like having the NPCs because we game in small groups and we like running into iconic characters and we like knowing what they look like stat wise. We can always ignore it, etc etc. If someone veers off to do something crazy they are warned and then simply informed that is not how we do things and that if it continues they won't be part of the group. It is like metagaming. I feel strongly that mature players just have to find a socially acceptable way to get to the story they want. I would prefer to have things set up well through the game though. 

I believe with Dante Raterdam (which I butchered the spelling sorry) because lets face it, characters are MORE than their stats. If not, wow the rebellion would have been hosed long ago, and Solo would have stayed a piece of art. The GM can really stack the deck, and should if they don't want a NPC to have a certain outcome. 

#34 progressions

progressions

• Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:59 PM

I'm working on a plot right now in our new campaign that will potentially involve the players tracking down Cad Bane to learn what happened to a relic he may have stolen during the Battle of Christophsis at the start of the Clone Wars.

I haven't decided yet how Bane will have changed in the 20 or so years since his appearances in "The Clone Wars" TV show. 

One possibility is that he's grown wiser as he aged, settled down and became a respectable member of a society somewhere under an assumed name.

Another is that he's still out there getting into trouble. Not sure yet!

EOTE Styles and Dice Symbols for Obsidian Portal

Our group's EOTE Obsidian Portal: Explorers on the Edge

#35 kaosoe

kaosoe

Not the GM my players need, but the one they deserve.

• Members
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:38 PM

I'm working on a plot right now in our new campaign that will potentially involve the players tracking down Cad Bane to learn what happened to a relic he may have stolen during the Battle of Christophsis at the start of the Clone Wars.

I haven't decided yet how Bane will have changed in the 20 or so years since his appearances in "The Clone Wars" TV show. 

One possibility is that he's grown wiser as he aged, settled down and became a respectable member of a society somewhere under an assumed name.

I like the angle that aging action heroes get slower with age, but they compensate by being wiser, more cautious and tactical. They can't relay on their physical superiority any more and must compensate in what ways they can. I would start there.

Scavenger - On the d20Radio forums.

Pronounced: Kay - Oh - So

#36 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:39 PM

I like the angle that aging action heroes get slower with age, but they compensate by being wiser, more cautious and tactical. They can't relay on their physical superiority any more and must compensate in what ways they can. I would start there.

Star Wars: Expendables?

• kaosoe likes this

#37 Paladin132

Paladin132

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:04 PM

Ewww, noooooo! haha

#38 Shamrock

Shamrock

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:37 PM

After the OG cast was announced, that was my fear for Ep7.  

Be well,

Sham

#39 Kix

Kix

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:43 PM

I am actually working on the entire cast of characters as they appear in Episode IV at the beginning. I am planning to write the movie storyline of Star Wars with these characters out, as a way to sort of test the system and showcase the flexibility of the system.

When I'm done, it'll include the character sheets. I plan to have them gain and spend XP as well. So that's at least a starting point, I suppose?

(As the rules don't support Jedi or Sith, Obi-Wan and Darth Vader are hand-waved GM fiat stat blocks, not full characters.)

#40 kaosoe

kaosoe

Not the GM my players need, but the one they deserve.

• Members
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:05 PM

Sadly, when I was writing that response, the expendable came to mind. But for someone like Fett or Cad Bane, that could work

Edited by kaosoe, 06 February 2014 - 09:05 PM.

Scavenger - On the d20Radio forums.

Pronounced: Kay - Oh - So

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS