Powered by Edge of the Empire

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#41 That Blasted Samophlange

That Blasted Samophlange

• Members
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:12 AM

I've jotted down some ideas I've had about a superhero game. Also need to borrow my friends gamma world 3rd edition to convert that.

And "Fissures" by "Atomic element 46" will be started up again when I get the age of rebellion beta.

Edited by That Blasted Samophlange, 06 September 2013 - 08:13 AM.

You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point if EU.

#42 gilbur

gilbur

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:24 AM

I am thinking about converting rifts over to the edge and the name of the project is Edge of a Rift. some of the things I am thinking about is bumping up max stats is 10 which they will be still be the starting points from 1-5 costing regular points but once you reach 6 the points will double unless you get into a class/specialization which allows stats to go higher. The classes will be converted to specialities for base classes which I am trying to decide since I do have the main book and the beta book to AOR. Weapons is the easy part which I am tackling right now nothing has been put to words but is still in progress and since they will be the easiest of the projects that is my initial project.

Races will be re-worked as they will have to fit for the edge system. Magic and Psionics will be based off of the Force system with the force die A friend has the Warhammer system and so I will need to play with that system and see if some of that system could be used in the conversion as well. The power armor and robots will be based of the vehicle system as well but I will be working on a system since there are light to heavy power armor and robots as well. I know this will be a long project as I am also running a Star Wars game but as I get things converted I do plan on play-testing stuff in the game for my players to play around with from time to time. Any input is be very much appreciated and looked into to see of they would fit in my vision of the game. The rule books and world books up to Canada is what I am limiting to for right now and maybe others will be included as I get closer to being done with the initially project.

• capnhayes likes this

#43 DoctorWhat

DoctorWhat

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:46 AM

One of my players mentioned that she has never played in a modern day setting, so I contemplated using EotE to run World of Darkness.

Another player said he likes the Warhammer 40k background but no the system, so wondered about running 40k with EotE.

Haven't actually do anything about either yet, but like the idea.
Opinions stated in the above post are my opinions.
They may be different from your opinions, that is ok, that's how the world works.

#44 King of Pants

King of Pants

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:00 PM

I posted this in another thread but figured I would put it here as well.  My gaming group and I have been writing up a shadowrun conversion, only steampunk because apparently one conversion wasn't enough.  It also includes a magic system we have been experimenting with.  We may change it up to amke it a little easier to cast spells but it might provide a starting point for others who want to convert magic into this system.

https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

That link should work, but let me know if it doesn't.

• whafrog likes this

#45 Jeffrywith1e

Jeffrywith1e

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:10 PM

I posted this in another thread but figured I would put it here as well.  My gaming group and I have been writing up a shadowrun conversion, only steampunk because apparently one conversion wasn't enough.  It also includes a magic system we have been experimenting with.  We may change it up to amke it a little easier to cast spells but it might provide a starting point for others who want to convert magic into this system.

That link should work, but let me know if it doesn't.

Very nice. Added it to the list...

http://waveyourgeekf...-resources.html

#46 King of Pants

King of Pants

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 03:40 PM

Sorry, that was theold version, here is the one after 2 weeks of testing and cleaning up the old errors.

• whafrog likes this

#47 Jeffrywith1e

Jeffrywith1e

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:21 PM

Sorry, that was theold version, here is the one after 2 weeks of testing and cleaning up the old errors.

Looks like you'll have to open permission on that doc

#48 King of Pants

King of Pants

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:56 PM

Ok, got it opened. Sometimes I hate technology. 

#49 .jayderyu

.jayderyu

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:49 AM

While i'm not doing a conversion. I'm planning on modifying my Tribe 8 game to use SWDice. It's been a blast and I feel the narrative value of the dice is perfect for the story focus on Tribe 8. Fortunatlly using silhouette Tribe8 the numbers are low enough that conversion will be braindead easy.  I will also be dropping the entire talent career aspect. I'll be focusing on only the skill rolling. So even easier.

#50 LibrariaNPC

LibrariaNPC

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:50 AM

Honestly, I've always been itching for a good Phantasy Star RPG after throwing a lot of time into Phantasy Star 2, Phantasy Star Online and Phantasy Star Universe. I've seen d20 hacks (based off of the WotC version of Star Wars), Big Eyes, Small Mouth/Tri-Stat, and even some WoD, but nothing really fit.

I think it would work with Edge of the Empire from what I can tell. I'll have to see how my test game runs next week and start giving it some thought.

"Smilies exist because no one's bothered to make a sarcasm font." Lost_Heretic

LibrariaNPC's Starship Yard (Fighters and Freighter chapters as PDFs!)

#51 King of Pants

King of Pants

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:36 PM

That's the best part of this narrative system, it converts fairly easily to anything you  want.

#52 LibrariaNPC

LibrariaNPC

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:45 PM

That's the best part of this narrative system, it converts fairly easily to anything you  want.

It has potential, that's for sure. Not sure if "anything" really is the limit just yet, but it sure does have the potential for great things.

"Smilies exist because no one's bothered to make a sarcasm font." Lost_Heretic

LibrariaNPC's Starship Yard (Fighters and Freighter chapters as PDFs!)

#53 JTShannon

JTShannon

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:48 PM

I would love to see a Dragonstar conversion. It's pretty close as it is. Magic items can be done using the enhancement/modification system and spellware can easily be adapted from the cyberware system. The one thing I'm stuck on is how would magic work.

Right now I'm thinking that there would a different "magic rating" (equal to force rating) for each type of magic (Arcane, Divine, Nature and Psionic). There would also be different skills based on magic school (Evocation, Necromancy, Illusion...). You could only put ranks in those skills if you have an appropriate magic rating (so you could only put points in the Healing magic skill if you have a Divine or Nature rating of 1 or higher). Spells will be purchased sort of like equipment but you could only learn them if you have the correct ranks in the appropriate magic skill (usually at least 1 rank but more powerful spells would require more ranks, and maybe even higher magic rating).

You would still use the force dice (would have to be renamed). When you cast a spell you roll the force dice and if it comes up with a white dot you cast the spell (more white dots equals stronger spell). Black dots would work the same way except they would do strain damage (I'm thinking 2 strain per black dot). That way magic is risky. You could (if you get lucky) keep casting all day without a problem or you could keep getting black dots and being drained until you pass out.

That's all I have so far so please tell me what you think. I figure once you figure out how magic should work then the rest should be easy.

• whafrog likes this

#54 Jegergryte

Jegergryte

• Members
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:10 PM

I'm having a B5 run through (again) and ... while chameleon eclectic did have a fun system, neither that nor the d20 version really gives me joy. Perhaps I should try make a conversion ... hohum. This system should work well for that. I think. :ph34r:

• DoctorWhat likes this

Make sure your brain is engaged, before putting your mouth into gear.

"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

GMLovlie's/Jegergryte's Cubicle direct link to supplements here.

#55 King of Pants

King of Pants

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:21 AM

I like JTShannon's idea about magic.  In my conversion I had characters roll a number of force dice equal to thier rating to cast spells. Subtract dark side points from lightside, if the total is still positive the spell goes off and extra light side points increase the effects with each spell having a static strain cost.  However i like the idea of only needing one light side point for the spell to go off, with extra light sides increasing the effect.  No set strain cost, but dark side points cause strain. Gives the player a trade-off.  They can roll extra dice to maybe increase the effect, while also maybe increase the strain.

#56 DoctorWhat

DoctorWhat

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:18 AM

I want to use EotE to run 40k but I'm stuck on how to do psychic powers, an area of 40k I've never used much.

Would the current Force powers and talent tree do?

If not, what would you suggest?
Opinions stated in the above post are my opinions.
They may be different from your opinions, that is ok, that's how the world works.

#57 eldath

eldath

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 05:21 AM

I'll be looking at hacking SW:EotE to run a Blake's 7 game.

Just wondering if you had gotten anywhere with this, I would be very interested in seeing how you handle it, especially starship power systems. 

E

#58 chriscdoa

chriscdoa

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 12:21 PM

I actually ran a game as an indiana Jones type game.

Think i ran it as 30s rather than modern but can't remember.

Character creation notes are here : http://that70sgame.w...of-the-world-1/

I had stats for a T-rex and dilophosaurus but all hand written.

It worked really well.

I generally think this is a great modern system (due to dual axis results) which can run most settings based on 'normal' characters. Which gives scope for anything outside of High fantasy and supers. Should be particularly good for Sci-Fi (Duh!) Modern, Spy, and horror due to stress/strain.

#59 Ghoura Agur

Ghoura Agur

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 02:05 PM

I actually ran a game as an indiana Jones type game.

Think i ran it as 30s rather than modern but can't remember.

My attempts at a Dieselpunk system went along much the same lines as yours, but I like the ideas you had for the careers.

For my, ah, fantasy game, I pretty much set all swords and similar close combat weapons to deal the damage of their vibro- cousins. On account of killing people with a non-vibrating knife taking forever in a system originally built for blasters and lightsabers.

Edited by Ghoura Agur, 15 May 2014 - 02:06 PM.

#60 CT1522

CT1522

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:44 PM

I am thinking about converting rifts over to the edge and the name of the project is Edge of a Rift. some of the things I am thinking about is bumping up max stats is 10 which they will be still be the starting points from 1-5 costing regular points but once you reach 6 the points will double unless you get into a class/specialization which allows stats to go higher. The classes will be converted to specialities for base classes which I am trying to decide since I do have the main book and the beta book to AOR. Weapons is the easy part which I am tackling right now nothing has been put to words but is still in progress and since they will be the easiest of the projects that is my initial project.

Races will be re-worked as they will have to fit for the edge system. Magic and Psionics will be based off of the Force system with the force die A friend has the Warhammer system and so I will need to play with that system and see if some of that system could be used in the conversion as well. The power armor and robots will be based of the vehicle system as well but I will be working on a system since there are light to heavy power armor and robots as well. I know this will be a long project as I am also running a Star Wars game but as I get things converted I do plan on play-testing stuff in the game for my players to play around with from time to time. Any input is be very much appreciated and looked into to see of they would fit in my vision of the game. The rule books and world books up to Canada is what I am limiting to for right now and maybe others will be included as I get closer to being done with the initially project.

A couple people have said it and I agree - a Rifts conversion would be awesome! Rifts has some cool story concepts but the system is deterring enough that I stay away. EotE mechanics would do wonders for it!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS