• This topic is locked This topic is locked
349 replies to this topic

#41 Kallabecca

Kallabecca

• Members
  • 722 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:06 PM

LucianZenlav said:

Which… Since Lucas Arts has the final say on anything… makes any product with the "Lucas Arts" label cannon…

The rules for Canon are Movies first, everything else second, if at all. That has been their (Lucas Arts) rule for a long time.

#42 Lord of Malice

Lord of Malice

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:14 PM

There are different levels of Canon in Star Wars, so that if there is a conflict the higher canon generally takes presedence. The only non-canon Star Wars material is some brain meltingly terrible material. I agree that a lot of EU materials are better then the movies. Thrawn trilogy is way better Star Wars then the prequels for sure.

That is until Disney probably drops a nuke on the whole EU in 2015. At that point I will have to cease to support new Star Wars products. Though FFG may be an exception with this game. What little of the beta I played was simply amazing.

#43 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:35 PM

Listen… We sit to play RPG's to make our mark on an imaginary world… That alone stands against "cannon"… I actually heard the story that after watching "Stormtroopers", George made the half tongue in cheek remark to that being what actually happened… I think people are far too attatched to cannon… Remember one of the last Episodes of the Clone Wars (as close to cannon as you can get outside the movies… especially since the first episode WAS A MOVIE… If being "one" of the movies is what it takes to be "cannon")… There was a Wookie Jedi… and no… George did not have a heart attack…

Again my point… Give us rules… Force… Better Armor… Etc… and let the players and GM's decide what weird side of "cannon" matters to them. If you try to launch out the gate killing the things that make you unique… You will get swallowed by the crowd… In the case of "Star Wars" games… This is more true than anywhere… PEOPLE WANT TO COME TO THIS UNIVERSE AND BE JEDI… It is part of the appeal… like it or not… No amount of wishing for "old school Star Wars" is going to change that.

It should be kept in the mind of a game designer that some kids trying this game for the first time may never have seen one of the movies… They may have only played the video games… or seen the cartoons (which have been goin for 5 years)…. The Rebellion Era in Star Wars is like trying to sell most gamers on a "Depression Era American Game"… You just took the best parts out… Sure those of us who grew up steeped in the original trilogy, feel nostalgic for those days… but that is not the whole of the Star Wars reality for most anymore…

This game… seems to almost thumb it's nose at all those other experiences of the "Star Wars Universe"

That said… I do like 95% of what the game has to offer… but their 95% only feels like my 50%… And more importantly… It has been shown… No Jedi… No big sales… 

I do believe that if FFG does not lose heart over slow sales of this edition… That their later ones my be truly great! Great ideas… fun system concepts (mostly… those Force Power Charts are a JOKE! Yes FFG a JOKE! And i'd love to explain) Once they provide a more reasonably full rule set (force powers, better armor, ship building, etc…) they will have a top-tier RPG! They just picked a real tough first step… As history has shown…

#44 Kallabecca

Kallabecca

• Members
  • 722 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:09 PM

LucianZenlav said:

That said… I do like 95% of what the game has to offer… but their 95% only feels like my 50%… And more importantly… It has been shown… No Jedi… No big sales… 

Based on what numbers? WEG sold D6 Star Wars for over a decade and most of their material didn't deal with Jedi. WotC had the license for a similar amount of time. Both sold well.

If computer games are your model, then they are a bad model as they aren't roleplaying… They are heavily scripted power games (levels, health, power ups. Which are great for what they do.

Even the various X-wing and X-wing vs Tie Fighter games had to make allowances for novice gamers in their design, which is why shields were so effective in those games when the movies showed them being far less potent. (and they sold in record numbers and had no Jedi in them).

#45 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:01 PM

Based on Star Wars Galaxies (just as an example)… Which was roleplaying… And at the time one of the few computer Star Wars games where you could build a hero (which makes it well suited for this conversation)… X-Wing games… Going in you know what your getting… A "niche" Star Wars model… great for telling a specific tale… bad for letting people "get into there place in the universe…"

When people found out they could not be Jedi in Star Wars Galaxies… There was a S***Storm until they changed it… Seriously… Go look back… And in there second outing… They set it smack dab in the middle of the Jedi hayday… They learned the first time…

It's one thing when you are controlling every aspect of the story delivered to a customer… It's another whan you ask them "what role do you really want to be?"

You will not always get "Jedi" as an answer (Mandalorian here)… but you will get it enough that it should not be ignored.

The WEG Star Wars games sold well to Star Wars fans… But not by any real publishing standards… They were fair earners in their time, who were gifted with a die-hard loyalist audience. The system was no White Wolf… let alone D&D, as it did little to nothing to bring in fans of either roleplaying or the movies… Both the White Wolf series and D&D brought new players to roleplaying in numbers WEG Star Wars could never have done… In fact being a life long "Star Wars" nut… I never playerd it… The art was generally bad… and the system was love-or-hate it (I fell into the later)… So none of my friends ever felt intersted enough to learn it.

Most of the Star Wars video games were pre-packaged tales, with little choice as to what "being" you played… When the choice was put out there… People wanted to play Jedi… It is natural… Without Jedi… Star Wars is a relatively poorly written Space Opera… Nothing too special… I do not roleplay to experience "nothing special"….

But… Still I think my point is being missed… Why not give us rules for the Jedi… Other Force Traditions… Maybe even Mandalorian Armor… An Armored Space suit? A lot of Star Wars is missing here… And I miss it… So what if one of those things is Jedi… Lucas pays other people to make stuff up in his world that we can debate the cannon value of… But… I am not asking for money… Just the rules to do it…

Why is that too much to ask? Why is asking for the ability to experience the things that separate my favored "fantasy setting" from other "fantasy settings" a bad thing? It is not… That is the point of these games… The fact that most of you know what I mean when I say: Fallenassi, Mandalorian Armor, Aiing-Tii Monks, Jensaarai (sp?) means the have a peice of the mindshare of this "fantasy"… and deserve to be presented…

So more people can have the experience they wish to have rather then a few….

#46 Droma

Droma

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

You want force and jedi stuff wait for the 3rd book as that is all it will be about. They made a concious desicision to not cram everything in a single book so if not having jedi just kills you wait until the 3rd book is released it's really that simple.

Yes the force and Jedi and Sith are a core part of star wars and yes the EU stuff may be "better" than the movies but the VAST majority of people will have only seen the movies. EU stuff will probably be out in a source book very soon after release and isn't what a core book should focus on because a relatively small amount of the people playing the game will have read any EU material.

The core books deal with the 3 major aspects of star wars 1: Cowboys in space 2: Empire/Rebelion 3: Jedi/Sith other material will come out in source books. I'm personally ok with that.

Star Wars products in general are not sold on any single theme defining them except very broadly. People by Star Wars stuff because it's Star Wars. If you only really love one tiny aspect of it then frankly you're missing out in my opinion.

#47 Dance Commander

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:17 PM

Let me start by saying that I may be very contradictory here and if I am, I apologize up front. J The truth is that I am looking forward to this book so that I can test it out and tell a few games revolving the scoundrels of the out rim. Even with the star wars saga edition, I told a few non Jedi tales that were in line with this products theme and they went rather well.

With that said, I believe that FFG’s is making an awful mistake by limiting themselves to such a great extent with this release. At the end of the day, I am sure that the biggest complaint that will come from fans on this board and in reviews outside of its fandom will be the lack of high Jedi adventure. Even my group who has played in a game like this that I have told is vetoing the game because of its Jedi marginalization. (Not because the games I told were bad but because we kind of got that part of Star Wars out of our system) It is not just my group either. The local (large) gaming store I go to told me that they found that many people who did play testing were unhappy with the lack of Jedi (though they liked the rules).

In truth, other than reading on this board (which I did throughout the beta) I have not spoken with anyone who is supporting the None Jedi narrative that EotE is telling. Unfortunately, I strongly agree with the many pro-Jedi posters on this board and on this thread and this is something that I think cannot wait until 2015. That is way too long for such an important aspect of Star Wars in my opinion. (Yes, I know that West End Games did not have a strong Jedi emphasis however, I also didn’t think WEG was very good.)

#48 That Blasted Samophlange

That Blasted Samophlange

• Members
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:47 PM

I'm not going to argue what is canon and what should be fired out of a cannon as I personally thought the force unleashed was a complete waste of my time.

The people working on this game, have a very clear vision of what they wanted as a game.  The people working on this version of the game seem to be Star Wars fans, and felt that hey, lets make a game about the Han Solo type of character.   

LucianZenlav, you seem very passionate about what  YOU want in the game and you cite that FFG have left out a lot of stuff and I quote  "Why not give us rules for the Jedi… Other Force Traditions… Maybe even Mandalorian Armor… An Armored Space suit? A lot of Star Wars is missing here…"

I will agree with the fact that they are leaving out Jedi and other force traditions, but the force is still in the book (as far as the beta book shows).  As far as other things that are missing, such as Mandalorian armour, armoured spacesuits, and lots of other gear, well.  The core book isn't out yet.  How do you know what will or will not be in there?   Barring Jedi of course, they could have all the fancy gear one needs.

In my personal experience, for every person who seems to be a Luke Skywalker fan, there is one who is a Han Solo fan.  Now if you go with old story telling cliches about the hero getting the girl, well, that makes Han Solo the hero of the Star Wars movies.  Edge of the Empire is, i feel, trying to get some of the people who enjoy a little show called Firefly.  It's not Star Wars, but it is massively popular - and it features a crew of smugglers, hired guns, and people from all walks of life, just trying to live out in the raggedy edge.  Away from an oppressive government.  This is the game the developers wanted to do first - it's also they easiest.  You get more focus on personal ships, such as freighters and snub fighters.  Blasters, and the like.

Sure, things like the x-wing are going to be left out, but that's because in this time period the game is set, the ONLY x-wings are in the hands of the rebellion.

LucionZenlav you may be jumping to conclusions about the impact the WEG RPG had, and how it didn't sell well by publishing standards.  Which publishing standards are we going by?  The ones that see books such as the god awful twilight series or fifty shades of grey selling well?  Is this the standard?  Because if so, then NO rpg anywhere is selling well.   Also, when the the original WEG books came out, there wasn't as much in the way of Internet.  RPG's are a very Niche market.  They always have been.  Star Wars is a Niche market as well.  So, a Star Wars RPG is a niche in a niche.  A very small group of people are interested in these products.  We as RPG players would like to think that we are legion… but we aren't.  Today there are so many things to grab our attention, being video games, books, youtube cat vidoes, etc.  SO when you say the Star Wars RPG didn't have the numbers in sales or people playing, did you factor in distribution methods, time period, or other quantifiably and imperical data?  Or are you factoring in what you've seen, which will be clouded by how you feel.  You see, I never played the WEG star wars either.   

Much of what you are asking for also seems to be hard codified rules for particular items.  Such as mandalorian armour.   Reading up on Mandalorian armour, it would at best have the superior quality.  Probably, heavy battle armour.  That's it.  This rpg is fairly light when it comes to rules.  What you are asking for may be in the CORE book that ISN'T OUT YET.  

My final point here is that, the people working on the RPG are working hard, and have a very limited number of resources available such as space in the final product to include the necessary lore, gear, rules, races, etc.  They have a clear vision on what they want to accomplish with the inital book, which I agree with.  While it would be nice to have everything all at once in a 1200+ page book, it isn't going to happen.  We live in a world where everyone wants everything all the time and right away.   But the reality is this isn't going to happen.  Have patience, there will be official rules for what you want fast enough, and until then the community will build them, or you yourself could be creative and do it.  The book is being written, they layouts are being finalized, it is all but finished.  Arguing about what SHOULD be in there isn't going to change what is.  You must either accept that or move on.

You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point if EU.

#49 LethalDose

LethalDose

• Members
  • 747 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:13 PM

LucianZenlav said:

Based on Star Wars Galaxies (just as an example)… Which was roleplaying… And at the time one of the few computer Star Wars games where you could build a hero (which makes it well suited for this conversation)… X-Wing games… Going in you know what your getting… A "niche" Star Wars model… great for telling a specific tale… bad for letting people "get into there place in the universe…"

When people found out they could not be Jedi in Star Wars Galaxies… There was a S***Storm until they changed it… Seriously… Go look back… And in there second outing… They set it smack dab in the middle of the Jedi hayday… They learned the first time…

Galaxies was a pretty massive $h!tstorm. <opinion>

It was practically impossible to play a Jedi until after they macerated the combat system. <fact>

Galaxies was set in the middle of the Rebellion era, which is approximately the polar opposite of the "Middle of the Jedi heyday." <fact>

-WJL

#50 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

Not the member you are looking for!

• Members
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:40 AM

LethalDose said:

LucianZenlav said:

Galaxies was a pretty massive $h!tstorm.

It was practically impossible to play a Jedi until after they macerated the combat system.

Galaxies was set in the middle of the Rebellion era, which is approximately the polar opposite of the "Middle of the Jedi heyday."

-WJL

I think the "middle" comment was pointing at the newer Star Wars mmorg The Old Republic. There you can play Jedi, Sith, bounty hunters, etc. But that shows just the slippery slope that I think FFG are trying to avoid. As has been said, you can't have everything out of the gate as the book would be massive. "I want Jedi." "I want Sith." "I want Imperials. " "I want Mandalorians." The list goes on and on. This isn't WotC where they can fire out 15 books in a matter of a few years by rehashing a system already created. This is a new game with new mechanics. I like that they are taking their time, choosing what to focus on, and, it seems, trying to put out a product that will play well.

I am a huge, if admittedly nostalgic, fan of the original trilogy. I saw it first hand too many times to count back in 77 and it definitely left an indelibe mark on me. Han shot first, Boba Fett died, etc. But I am also a fan of Star Wars in general, if not everything that has come out. Whether or not the game includes full on rules for Jedi means little to me as I just want to play in the Star Wars universe more than anything. I was a huge fan of Boba Fett, even though he died, but only when he was unique. Now that he has been Wolverine-ized, he's not so cool anymore to me (same thing happened to Wolverine for me). This game looks awesome and it is playing really well and I like what they have focused on so far. And I look forward to what is coming too.

Anyways, I just hope the game is successful so that FFG can keep putting out products so that most people will get to play their Star Wars one way or another.

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

#51 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:24 AM

Look… I understand what FFG hopes this game will be. I do… I was there to watch Star Wars "A New Hope" (as it later came to be called), in the theaters (during the original release). My point is… FFG made a choice to sell us an 'incomplete' universe to start. I know a lot of you are excited about "scoundrel… and outer rim" type games… In fact… So am I… But by selling the first book this way… I HAVE TO BUY ANOTHER… At least one (and wait years in the process). That has me VERY NOT excited!

Cannon… Matters to us "geeks"… That's it… a casual fan does not care about cannon… Of which still, If Lucas Arts stamped it it's official… For me to argue that is like a modern priest disagreeing with God over the content of the Bible… You don't like Force Unleashed?… I thought "Return of the Jedi" was a load of S***… I mean a planet full of violent teddy bears!!! That put Jar Jar to shame! Whiching that trailer for "Force Unleashed II" (a great trailer) gets me all Jedi excited! As does the soldier in the "Hope" trailer for TOR (Yes… the other game I was talking about, set in the middle the of Jedi hayday)… Yeah those inspire the Star Wars geek in me! What of it! Luke was panzy… Solo a nerf herder… C'mon… We all can like what we like here… It is how the "Star Wars Universe" got so big… It's big enough for everyone… and has something for everyone as well…

You can personally dislike any portion of the Star Wars universe (which ever weird side of the stupid cannon debate you wish to be on)… But this is a game for ALL fans… So I just think BOOK #1 should have given us more "Star Wars" and less of one groups vision of what Star Wars they want you to play. I would have rather seen a non-era specific book… So I or another GM can decide where to play (WotC sort of did this… They said they started in the Rebellion Era, yes with a playable Jedi… but kept things as era-neutral as possible…

It all just feels like the need to sell more books is pushing aside the end user… who deserves more flexability to experience the Star wars they wish right off the bat…

#52 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:31 AM

White Wolf Games and Dungeons & Dragons both brought gemers to RPG games without movies… cartoons… etc. And people came in numbers large enough to start a movement… WEG Star Wars… With the weight of the Star Wars universe behind it… did nothing… That says so much about the "success" of the game… I cannot possibly word it another way… You may have like it… but that did not make it good… or viable from a sales standpoint.

#53 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

• Members
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:01 AM

LucianZenlav said:

WEG Star Wars… With the weight of the Star Wars universe behind it… did nothing… That says so much about the "success" of the game… I cannot possibly word it another way… You may have like it… but that did not make it good… or viable from a sales standpoint.

Actually, the WEG Star Wars RPGis a big part of all that is the Star Wars EU at this point. Much of what has come after in the novels had its roots in their RPG as many authors used the game as a sort of information bible. And they held the license for quite a while, 12 years if I am not mistaken. That was without heaps and heaps of information on Jedi and Sith et al. WEG lost the license because they had to declare bankruptcy. WotC had it for about 10 years and that included revamping the entire system just to drum up business and then dropped it. From what I gather they found it wasn't selling as well as expected. So I don't hink that just having information on Jedi or Sith or Mandalorians or whatever will make for a popular game. A game has to be fun and attract people to play, if it doesn't do that then nothing you put out will matter. So here's hoping the game is fun and allows people to immerse themselves in the Star Wars universe in an exciting way. If it is popular then we will see more books. More books means that many people may get to see their favorite part as well.

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

#54 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:17 AM

WotC gave up the lisence mostly because of disputes between Lucas Arts and WotC brass kept causing product hold ups, redesigns, etc… Which because it was not selling in stellar number (the distant second place factor) caused them to forgo the lisence. Not simply because of poor sales. Let me put things this way… Would you buy an "Aliens" game with no rules for the "Aliens"… How about "Predetor" or the "X-Men" without super heroes? Jedi are part of what makes the Star Wars universe unique (same with Mandalorian Armor… hence bringing it up)… To leave out what makes you unique is absolutely crazy from a marketing standpoint. I mean truly!

But… I am done here… I make posts for a more "open and inclusive" game…

Guess that is not what is desired… by the rest… but I have said my piece… If FFG does not rectify this… I WILL NOT GIVE THEM $$$ PERIOD!!! That will speak louder then a forum post… As none of my friends will either… and probably non of theirs… etc…

#55 Doc, the Weasel

Doc, the Weasel

Pretending to be many, many things.

• Members
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:54 AM

And I thought this thread smelled bad, on the outside.

I hope no one is hoping that things will change based on forum griping. We are already getting a book on the Jedi and the timetable for its release (along with the Rebels vs Empire book) is the centerpiece of their entire design plan.

Listen to my actual play podcasts at BeggingForXP.com.

Take a look at my Talent Trees (Edge of the Empire and Age of Rebellion), YT-2400 deck plans for the Lazy Bantha, as well as my other handouts.

#56 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:24 AM

Doc, the Weasel said:

I hope no one is hoping that things will change based on forum griping. We are already getting a book on the Jedi and the timetable for its release (along with the Rebels vs Empire book) is the centerpiece of their entire design plan.

Since only a select few are really doing all the bitching about lack of an official Jedi presence in EotE, I doubt if any sort of change is going to happen, whether it's expected or not.  If FFG's production cycle from initial development ot getting the book on shelves is anything like the one WotC had for their Star Wars books, the EotE corebook has been finalized for quite some time, with only a few alterations made by way of the Beta, mostly consisting of typos and a few mechanical alterations (specializtion costs, a handful of talents, Autofire, and Force Power upgrades to name a few).

And unlike Wookiees, we don't have the ability to rip FFG's arms out of their sockets (not that I'd want to do that or even condone such a thing in the first place).

The best that can be hoped for in terms of official material regarding Jedi and other Force-using traditions is either in supplements for EotE or Force & Destiny in 2015.

As much as I enjoy playing Force-users/Jedi (my first character in every Star Wars RPG has been a Jedi of some stripe, even if a barely trained one), I can appreciate FFG wanting to steer away from that and have their first book focus on the non-Jedi crowd, and in effect get an additional year or so of development and system-testing before introducing a character type that has traditionally bent/broken all the prior Star Wars RPGs in some degree or another.

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#57 Dance Commander

Dance Commander

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:32 AM

Like I said earlier, I am looking forward to reading this book and am in no way saying that this is an awful book before I read it. In truth, I think the rules look fun and I can’t wait to get a hold of however…

I am not sure that saying those who are not pleased with the Jedi marginalization is “bitching”. As I said in my earlier post, I am excited about the game and I also think that FFG is making a huge mistake by focusing on the outer rim scoundrels. In truth, I think a lot of the defending of FFG decision making is more in line of being an ideologue of the game. To be honest I have seen far more people on this board say things that would suggest a disappointment with the non Jedi narrative than a complete compliance with it.

In some ways, I see what FFG is doing as Father Knows Best syndrome. I call it this because of the in-house think tank that some game companies do without “really” thinking about its audience. I would use D&D 4ed as an example but that would be way to easy, instead I will use AEG’s Legend of the Five Rings 4ed. During the design diary of their new edition they said that they would be removing a lot of the history, changing the schools to make them streamlined and a host of other ideas that they were clearly called out on during that period. Their response was “Trust us, we know our game and you will not be disappointed”.

In truth, many of the things they were called out on during the start of their new edition were absolutely true especially as time went on. The reviews have been less than stellar and groups are starting to move back to the previous edition. The major call by a lot of fans has been please give us 5th edition and please make it more like 3rd edition. The point is that game companies many times see fans as ideologues who will do as there are told. I kind of see that same thinking with FFG.

In fact, I would bet that many of the reviews on Amazon will say things that suggest the game rules are great but it is missing that high fantasy/action Jedi moments that we have all come to love. I also think that unless FFG makes Jedi supplements quickly for EotE, it will sting them. As a fan of RPGs and Star Wars, 2015 is a ridiculous time to wait for Lightsaber fights.  

#58 Jegergryte

Jegergryte

• Members
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:03 AM

Asshattery and swtor-forum behaviour… wow, I mean, I know I shouldn't be suprised, but I still am. I don't think the "money-card" has the same effect on FFG. Its not really an argument, nor does it really function as a good threat, nor is it … I mean, c'mon… why silly threats and asshattery?

I see this discussion again, I wonder if I should sink to this level of stupid and discuss with morons, instead I post a sort of monologue where I talk to myself about how some people never will be happy until they get to that elusive nothing that they want, where their own definition is the only valid, and any counter argument - however reasonable and valid (EU happened very much because of WEG, its history, its a fact - WotC created little new stuff, mostly rehashed WEG stuff, with a few notable exceptions sure) - is ignored, or even sometimes cited out of context to start a flame war (are we getting there?), or something akin to this behaviour. I used to think this belonged to pre-adolescent, prepubertal sillies, but I have been proven wrong again and again. I can accept that, but hardly respect it. Hence I sink and saunter slowly downwards too…

@Thenaysayers:
Its not really a big issue that stuff is "missing" as you claim - when you think of it, not really… make it yourself, use your creativity and imagination and think up something else than bland and boring threats about not spending your cash. We get it, you're hurt and "in the right" - we're all in the "wrong" for being stupid ass doormats that lets FFG run their company as they know works for them… yeah, sure, they know nothing of marketing, at all…. you tell them! What is the trouble of investing time to make the game memorable, I mean if they made some stats you disagreed with, you'd tweak them anyways, you'd have to make your own villains, one always makes up new stuff … I just don't see the problem… Isn't RPGs about creativity?

Make sure your brain is engaged, before putting your mouth into gear.

"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

GMLovlie's/Jegergryte's Cubicle direct link to supplements here.

#59 LethalDose

LethalDose

• Members
  • 747 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:11 AM

Jegergryte said:

I see this discussion again, I wonder if you should sink to this level of stupid and discuss with morons, instead I post a sort of monologue where I talk to myself about how some people never will be happy […]

I just don't see the problem…

+1

Truncated the text to keep the focus.

#60 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

• Members
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

Dance Commander said:

To be honest I have seen far more people on this board say things that would suggest a disappointment with the non Jedi narrative than a complete compliance with it.

Of course we've seen this. People upset will always be very vocal. Although I've seen just as many people say they weren't disappointed. Also, we are but a drop in the bucket. Who's to say whether or not they are a majority, minority or whatever? Only time and sales will show. WotC threw in everything and it didn't work for them. So maybe we need a new perspective.

I've seen the statement that Jedi make the Star Wars universe unique, but I think it is the universe itself and all it encompasses that makes it interesting. This includes the Jedi, x-wings, the Millenium Falcon, wookies, R2-D2, lightsabers, Death Stars, star destroyers, stormtroopers, the Rebellion, and so much more. The characters, the stories, so much of this is the character of the Star Wars universe. This game seems to promote fun in playing in the Star Wars universe and I think that will be the biggest telling point.

George Orwell

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS