• This topic is locked This topic is locked
349 replies to this topic

#341 ErikB

ErikB

• Members
  • 930 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:41 PM

LethalDose said:

It does not mean you have to recreate the story of source material.

I dunno. I don't think it is entirely unfair to expect a Force Unleashed book to help you make stories that feel like The Force Unleashed.

So, like, advice on how to have your characters interact with the principals from the movies and do stuff like found the Rebel Alliance.

If you want a picture of the Empire, imagine a jackboot stamping on a beings face - forever.

#342 ErikB

ErikB

• Members
  • 930 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:46 AM

And the reason for invoking The Force Unleashed is partially because I was very disappointed by the TFU book, which I bought because I played TFU the video game, thought it was cool, and then discovered that said book had remarkably little to do with the game. And I've had that rant building for a while.

But also because it shows one way to solve a problem. They wanted to do high octane Jedi action in the original trilogy milleu, so they had the player play  a Jedi assassin working for Darth Vader hunting Jedi.

And also because it shows that rules are there to be broken. If in a Harry Potter book someone makes mention of a haunted house where the students are forbidden to go, you can guarantee that five minutes later Harry and co will be wondering through said house.

And it is more fun to spray graffiti on a sign saying 'No Graffiti' while skateboarding past a no skateboarding sign.

We know from TFU that some of the most intense Jedi battles recorded took place in The Dark Times.

If you want a picture of the Empire, imagine a jackboot stamping on a beings face - forever.

#343 LethalDose

LethalDose

• Members
  • 782 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:11 PM

ErikB said:

And the reason for invoking The Force Unleashed is partially because I was very disappointed by the TFU book, which I bought because I played TFU the video game, thought it was cool, and then discovered that said book had remarkably little to do with the game. And I've had that rant building for a while.

This has nothing to do with why you think Jedi should be inlcuded in Edge of the Empire.  I'm sorry you didn't like the TFU book, but if you have complaints about a source book for a different game system made by a different game company, WTF are you doing complaining about it on these forums?  Complain about it on WotC's forums and stop wasting our time.

ErikB said:

But also because it shows one way to solve a problem. They wanted to do high octane Jedi action in the original trilogy milleu, so they had the player play  a Jedi assassin working for Darth Vader hunting Jedi.

Fine, They (whoever the hell they are) wanted a high-octane game.  The FFG developers don't.  EotE isn't high octane, and it isn't Jedi.  At least not at this point, because they aren't the point or goal, or focus, or WHATEVER of EotE.  They chose a solution other than yours.  It's been 6 months.  It's time to get over it.

ErikB said:

And also because it shows that rules are there to be broken. If in a Harry Potter book someone makes mention of a haunted house where the students are forbidden to go, you can guarantee that five minutes later Harry and co will be wondering through said house.

And it is more fun to spray graffiti on a sign saying 'No Graffiti' while skateboarding past a no skateboarding sign.

This is the dumbest argument for Jedi in EotE yet, which is really saying something, because you vomited some seriously f***ing ridiculous ideas onto these forums.  You're saying the developers should support Jedi in this system BECAUSE the game was not designed to support it?! 

Are you stoned or just stupid?  

You might as well complain to Honda because the Accord doesn't make toast, or piss & moan because your dermatologist can't perform an appendectomy.

-WJL

"All models are wrong, but some models are useful."  - George E. P. Box

#344 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

• Members
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:29 PM

For how much longer can this topic be discussed? I imagine some of you do it as a sort of sport?

The Book of the Asur - High Elf fan supplement

The Dark Side - Witches, Warlocks, Dark Magic and more

Secrets of the Anvil - Advanced Dwarf careers and runes

Dice statistics calculator for SW EotE

#345 FuzzyLog1cZA

FuzzyLog1cZA

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:45 PM

Yepesnopes said:

For how much longer can this topic be discussed? I imagine some of you do it as a sort of sport?

Much like House Greyjoy this post can never die. Seriously the content in here has been debated backwards and forwards ad nauseum. I think the mods should just lock the thread now.

#346 ErikB

ErikB

• Members
  • 930 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:47 PM

It is probably going to roll on until they set up separate forums for Jedi, and the Jedi loving and Jedi hating communities can separate and only fling poo at each other during occasional cross forum raids.

#347 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 3,618 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:17 PM

Yepesnopes said:

The only reason I can imagine this thread is still open is that it keeps the few folks that won't stop whining about FFG's deliberate design choice of a lack of Jedi-specific material in EotE in one place rather than having several thread whining about the same thing.

Once the actual book hits shelves, there will probably be an unfortunate upswing in folks like ErikB who will whine about why there's no Jedi-specific material in EotE when the game that was never meant to cover Jedi, much the same way as that EotE game doesn't go in-depth into squadron-level starship combat or mass ground battles.  There's enough basic material that such things can be done using EotE, but it's a bit of a kludge in some aspects, and some folks are simply impatient.  Which is odd given Star Wars fans should be used to waiting, as we waited how long for the prequels after the Original Trilogy, and then had to wait three years between eacy movie of each respective trilogy?

That and if this thread did get locked, it'd simply start up again with someone asking what seemed an innocent enough question, and you'd get the same crap all over again.

I do agree that the topic has gone well beyond beating a dead horse, and that said horse is now sub-atomic particles.

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#348 ErikB

ErikB

• Members
  • 930 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:49 PM

Yep. So since we know that people are going to be fighting about this until they can play Jedi, why don't we just save everyone from two years of bickering and let people play Jedi?

Like I say, I promise I won't try to play a Jedi in a game where any of the other players won't be.

#349 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

Not the member you are looking for!

• Members
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:09 AM

If you don't like it, ignore it. For those newbies that wonder why no Jedi, it can give them some idea. And for those that are entertained by watching someone smack their head against a wall over and over, they can be entertained as well. And yes, once the core book releases this question will get asked all over again. So why lock a thread that would just be started up again? Unless FFG receives a huge amount of feedback about the lack of Jedi and the game does not sell well and indications seem to support that it is the lack of Jedi that is the cause, I don't see anything changing. What some fail to realize is that just because FFG didn't make the game that they wanted, doesn't mean that they didn't make a game that many people want to play. Ultimately it is sales that will determine if what they are creating is working.

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

#350 Jegergryte

Jegergryte

• Members
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:03 AM

ErikB said:

So since we know that people are going to be fighting about this until they can play Jedi, why don't we just save everyone from two years of bickering and let people play Jedi?

No one is stopping you from play Jedi. Play TFU, KOTOR, KOTOR 2, SWTOR, dress up and run around your garden or neighbourhood, play SE, RCR or OCR … even better: D6. Play it, you can be Jedi. Or make your own stuff, no one is going to sue you, no one is stopping you besides yourself. Play Jedi, you have my permission, I'm letting you play Jedi, and I don't think anyone here is going to stop you (unless your GM is on here and s/he hates Jedi of course - but thats beyond my control). Just please shut up already.

And, a side-point you continually ignore: no one has expressed hate against Jedi - dislike perhaps, but the focus has been - to my reading at least - on the love of other things star wars than just glowstick wielding hippies in morning gowns. Like plastic covered pseudo-nazi stormtroopers, guntoting cowboys in tin cans, bounty hunting degenerates and technophiles. These things are also Star Wars and deserves as much love as freakishly hypocritical monks with their minds stuck on an acid trip while they believe they're on a rave party…

Make sure your brain is engaged, before putting your mouth into gear.

"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

GMLovlie's/Jegergryte's Cubicle direct link to supplements here.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS