House Rule. Trading Clue Tokens

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Charlie Boxer

Charlie Boxer

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:39 PM

Recently we have re-read the rules of the Base Arkham game and found that players CANNOT trade clue (which we have been playing), we decided to make it a House Rule that you could. Does this house rule make the Investigators to over powered? Does anyone else play this way? Is it considered cheating?

#2 Full Doom Track

Full Doom Track

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:46 PM

Hey Charlie,

Your question about trading clue tokens makes for an interesting idea that I've toyed with in my mind for quite some time.  While the rules DO state that investigators are not allowed to trade clue tokens (CTs), a house rule which allows this will definitely make the game easier in many aspects.  I'm not sure how many other people allow this but I've never tried it myself.

The problem with allowing the trading of CTs is that it eliminates one of the challenges in organizing who picks up which clue tokens.  This is a big part of the game for me when I play, which is why I imagine that I've never allowed trading.  Part of the game for me is to weigh the benefits of picking those CTs up with a certain investigator.  Do you let your monster killer pick them up even though it won't give him five?  Or do you let your gate diver who is at least 2 turns away pick them up so they have enough to get another seal?  As you can imagine, the questions don't stop there and keep going.

Above all, I would encourage you to continue to play the game in the way that is most fun for you in your group.  That's really the most important thing.

#3 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:30 PM

Clue token trading was removed as a mechanic because it made the game too easy. It also discourages the "exploration" mechanic.

#4 Jake yet again

Jake yet again

• Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:06 AM

Trading clue tokens would take a lot of pressure of gate divers, whilst they were gate diving, clue gatherers could grab clues ready for their next soujourn. It would not make for a great house rule IMO.

There is a fan expansion called Door To Saturn whereby Investigator can gain the Radio ability that allows them to trade one clue token per turn with another Investigator who has the Radio ability. This is somewhat required as clues spent in this expansion are lost and have to be rediscoverd on expedition.

In Lovecraft Country Horror, there are Leads - whcih are sort of like clues except that you actually have to visit the location in question and… well, investigate. Investigators can trade Leads, but only for other leads. This way you can assign all the Kingsport leads to one player, so that only one person has to go there.

Lovecraft Country Horror - A completely FREE Big Box expansion for Arkham Horror, exploring the minor locations of the Cthulhu Mythos. Contains: Lovecraft Country Board, 16 Investigators, 4 Ancient Ones, 16 Skills, 32 Common Items, 24 Unique Items, 10 Spells, 16 Music of Erich Zann cards, 76 Leads, 4 Allies, 32 Monsters, 24 Injuries and Madnesses, 54 Mythos Cards, 41 Outer World Encounters, 52 Location Encounters for each Neighbourhood.

#5 eiterorm

eiterorm

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:40 AM

I'm with Full Doom Track on this one. I wouldn't allow it myself, but you should play the game in the way you have most fun. That's really what house rules are: modifications which improve the game according to your personal taste.

The reason why I wouldn't allow it is that it would make the game significantly easier, and I think the game is easy enough as it is. The game might seem a little difficult to begin with, but as you get to know the game better and get to improve your tactics, it should become easier. That's my experience anyway.

#6 CrusherJoe

CrusherJoe

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:10 AM

I wouldn't allow it, outside of the condition card that grants it in an encounter in DH.  I'm still a noob, but that's a pretty powerful thing to put in the investgators' hands, and while most games are supposed to be difficult enough that you have to use some effort to win, Arkham Horror seems designed to stack the odds against your intrepid group.  Or as I tell friends who ask me about AH, "It's the most complicated board game ever made… you play for four hours and then lose.  It'll be FUN!!"

I say that with the caveat that we've missed and misunderstood rules in EVERY SINGLE GAME and we've still never won. 

#7 Charlie Boxer

Charlie Boxer

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:09 AM

Awesome feed back, i for one don't like the house rule and am glad to now have other options on it. I feel with this house rule, when we win, we aren't really beating the game because we have modified it to our favor.

#8 Fake Ghost Pirate

Fake Ghost Pirate

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:19 PM

It'd be a huge advantage if you could pass Clues to other players, but it would also take lots of coordinating to get Investigators to cross paths, especially using the expansion boards. But it'd be like playing with multiple Patrice Hathaways.

I may try it out as a variant to try and tame Innsmouth (or Black Goat) a little…or to beat the toughest Ancient Ones.

There's a great new fan-expansion called "The Door To Saturn" with Field Radio items that let you send clues over the airwaves to other players.   (Don't mind me- still in my "honeymoon" phase with this new expansion and raving about it whenever possible)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS