The Hoth Cycle - What We Know So Far

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#41 videinfra

videinfra

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:07 PM

How do you guys feel about Vader only having 3 damage icons, one even being edge? His ability must be powerful.

#42 Aahzmandius_Karrde

Aahzmandius_Karrde

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:06 AM

videinfra said:

How do you guys feel about Vader only having 3 damage icons, one even being edge? His ability must be powerful.

His ability gives his 4th icon back to him and the rest of the attacking units.

Which is why I don't understand why eveyone seems to think it's Unit Damage.  It seems more logical to me that it would be Blast Damage restoring the same 4 icons that the Sith Vader has.

Welcome to the FFG Star Wars RPG Index 

#43 DailyRich

DailyRich

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:56 AM

Aahzmandius_Karrde said:

videinfra said:

His ability gives his 4th icon back to him and the rest of the attacking units.

Which is why I don't understand why eveyone seems to think it's Unit Damage.  It seems more logical to me that it would be Blast Damage restoring the same 4 icons that the Sith Vader has.

Well, he was leading troops on the ground on Hoth, so it makes a bit of sense that he'd assist in doing unit damage in this instance.

#44 Aahzmandius_Karrde

Aahzmandius_Karrde

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:32 AM

DailyRich said:

Well, he was leading troops on the ground on Hoth, so it makes a bit of sense that he'd assist in doing unit damage in this instance.

Yes but the goal was the takeover of the base (objective) and capture of forces (units), not wanton destruction of said forces.

#45 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,255 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:29 AM

It could be either icon. We cannot say for sure until we see the entire card. For now all any of us can do is guess.

#46 mattkohls

mattkohls

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:18 PM

Considering that he has to be attacking I'm hoping that it is objective damage.  If it was defending I would love unit damage.

#47 Xenu's Paradox

Xenu's Paradox

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:08 PM

That's actually a good point. And blast damage isn't as powerful in a DS deck as a LS one since you have to destroy 8 objectives rather than just 3.

#48 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,388 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:18 PM

Xenu's Paradox said:

That's actually a good point. And blast damage isn't as powerful in a DS deck as a LS one since you have to destroy 8 objectives rather than just 3.

If you were getting to 8 objectives destroyed before winning, you missed something.  By the 4th objective you should have the dial at 11 (4 + 3 + 2 + 1 for objectives, 1 for your first turn), and that's if you destroy 4 objectives on your first turn… when you can't attack.  Sure, Decoy at Dantooine can help a little, but I doubt you'd get quite that much.

#49 Niranth

Niranth

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:18 PM

8??  How did you arrive at this number?

#50 Aahzmandius_Karrde

Aahzmandius_Karrde

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:53 PM

I went through all the scanerios.  With a combination of "Decoy at Dantoine" and "False Lead" the current worse case scenario is 6 objectives.  DS cannont fail to win if it destroys 6 objectives, and that takes some very suboptimal play to stretch it that far.

I suspect he missed the part where the dial increases by 1 for each objective in the victory pile, and is just increasing by 1 each time an objective is destroyed.

#51 Xenu's Paradox

Xenu's Paradox

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:07 PM

Aahzmandius_Karrde said:

I went through all the scanerios.  With a combination of "Decoy at Dantoine" and "False Lead" the current worse case scenario is 6 objectives.  DS cannont fail to win if it destroys 6 objectives, and that takes some very suboptimal play to stretch it that far.

I suspect he missed the part where the dial increases by 1 for each objective in the victory pile, and is just increasing by 1 each time an objective is destroyed.

Oooh, I did indeed miss that. I was actually going off the whole "you lose if you have to pull a new objective and can't" bit, forgetting about the fact that the DS dial increases whenever you ace a Light objective entirely.

Also, the LS COULD theoretically use It Binds All Things to recycle False Leads, so you could HYPOTHETICALLY have to empty the LS player's Objective Deck. It's just massively unlikely.

#52 ScottieATF

ScottieATF

• Members
  • 722 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:48 PM

Xenu's Paradox said:

Aahzmandius_Karrde said:

Oooh, I did indeed miss that. I was actually going off the whole "you lose if you have to pull a new objective and can't" bit, forgetting about the fact that the DS dial increases whenever you ace a Light objective entirely.

Also, the LS COULD theoretically use It Binds All Things to recycle False Leads, so you could HYPOTHETICALLY have to empty the LS player's Objective Deck. It's just massively unlikely.

And you really though that the game intended the DS player to have to kill 8 objectives in order for an offensive DS player to win?  That didn't sound very odd?

#53 Xenu's Paradox

Xenu's Paradox

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:40 AM

ScottieATF said:

Xenu's Paradox said:

Aahzmandius_Karrde said:

And you really though that the game intended the DS player to have to kill 8 objectives in order for an offensive DS player to win?  That didn't sound very odd?

Brain fart.

#54 cooleo1c

cooleo1c

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:39 AM

What is the date on the first pack? Anyone know yet?

#55 Xenu's Paradox

Xenu's Paradox

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:03 AM

cooleo1c said:

Sometime in February is the general assumption.

#56 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,255 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:09 AM

Supposed to be February but looking more like March.

#57 sojo2600

sojo2600

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:13 AM

cooleo1c said:

On the 'Upcoming' page of this site, the Desolation of Hoth is still listed as 'In Development'.  Given that the cards haven't even been sent to the printer yet, and then another 4-6 for the boat journey, I'd say early March is probably a more realistic expectation at this point.  That is assuming they are close to being done with development, though.  

#58 TGO

TGO

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

sojo2600 said:

cooleo1c said:

On the 'Upcoming' page of this site, the Desolation of Hoth is still listed as 'In Development'.  Given that the cards haven't even been sent to the printer yet, and then another 4-6 for the boat journey, I'd say early March is probably a more realistic expectation at this point.  That is assuming they are close to being done with development, though.  

That is assuming the website is up to date. Potomac distribution shows Feb 28th for their date, but they also show all of the other ffg stuff on that same date so take it for what you will.

#59 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,255 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:58 AM

Desolation of Hoth now shows as At the Printer as of today.

#60 geki

geki

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:35 AM

Based on you experience, what does that mean as far as timing is concerned?

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS