34 replies to this topic

#21 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:02 AM

Ulairi said:

Francisco G. said:

Question…..with one coreset what are the best builds??? (in our tourney next week theere is that limitation)

That's tough to answer. I've been focused on building decks from the 2 cores I have. I would play just a starter in that tourney because I never spend a whole lot of time building decks for events that are not standard rules. 

Unfortunately, he won't be able to play just a starter as he'll be 2 objective sets short of a legal deck that way.  With 1 core set, I'd try something like this:

LS - Jedi:

A Hero's Journey

In You Must Go

A Journey to Dagobah

Forgotten Heroes

Draw Their Fire

Fleeing the Empire

The Rebel Fleet

Mission Briefing

The Defense of Yavin 4

Hit and Run

DS - Sith:

Fall of the Jedi

The Emperor's Web

Counsel of the Sith

Shadows of Dathomir

Death and Despayre

Defense Protocol

Kuat Reinforcements

The Endor Gambit

Imperial Command

Reconnaissance Mission

Not saying these will be the best decks, or even good decks, just what I would try first.

#22 Francisco G.

Francisco G.

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:08 AM

dbmeboy said:

Ulairi said:

Francisco G. said:

Question…..with one coreset what are the best builds??? (in our tourney next week theere is that limitation)

That's tough to answer. I've been focused on building decks from the 2 cores I have. I would play just a starter in that tourney because I never spend a whole lot of time building decks for events that are not standard rules. 

Unfortunately, he won't be able to play just a starter as he'll be 2 objective sets short of a legal deck that way.  With 1 core set, I'd try something like this:

…..Decks……

Not saying these will be the best decks, or even good decks, just what I would try first.

Yeah….I imagined there woudn't be a best deck. I've construct the decks with all the affiliation decks plus 1 or 2 neutral and 1 of the other affiliation objectives based on number of neutral cards and edge power on their unplayable ones ;)

#23 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:41 AM

With 1 core for LS I recommend Smugglers and Spies with 6 Rebel OSets and the 3 neutral. 

#24 shaggscoob

shaggscoob

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:39 PM

Well, after MUCH testing (probably around 40 games now), I have to say that the jedi mains + Han deck is the best counter.  It won about 85% of the time once I had it dialed in.  Definitely a powerful deck.  Actually, I'm now looking for the DS counter to it.

In an effort to keep this going (getting a lot of good discussion and feedback in this thread), does anyone have any thoughts on how to consistently counter the luke, han, obi-wan, shielders style of deck?  It's really pretty solid.  I threw in the OS that provides the free force icon for winning the force struggle, that seemed to really cover all the bases.

#25 D.Knight Sevus

D.Knight Sevus

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:50 PM

shaggscoob said:

Well, after MUCH testing (probably around 40 games now), I have to say that the jedi mains + Han deck is the best counter.  It won about 85% of the time once I had it dialed in.  Definitely a powerful deck.  Actually, I'm now looking for the DS counter to it.

In an effort to keep this going (getting a lot of good discussion and feedback in this thread), does anyone have any thoughts on how to consistently counter the luke, han, obi-wan, shielders style of deck?  It's really pretty solid.  I threw in the OS that provides the free force icon for winning the force struggle, that seemed to really cover all the bases.

The Emperor's Web is a great objective for this - Emperor Palpatine can lock down an entire Light Side offensive on his own, and Force Lightning doesn't care that you're shielded or that you've got Protect Character defending you, if you've got a Focus token, you're destroyed. Force Choke, of course, is always excellent, particularly if you're also running Fall of the Jedi and thus have 4 copies alongside 2 Darth Vader. And Emperor's Royal Guard is almost as good at keeping your important Character units alive as Guardian of Peace…better, honestly, seeing as LS lacks direct removal outside of Swindled.

#26 thedaffodilfish

thedaffodilfish

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:28 AM

Francisco G. said:

We've found that The Rebel Alliance Objectives splashing for Han's objective plus the other Neutral set (total of 10)  consistently beats both the Sith and Imperial Navy decks, where the DS decks splash for Scum & Villainy.

The Jedi deck isn't as strong and it can go either way depending on who's steering the deck.  This is based on an admittedly small sample of 10 games each.

The Rebel home ship (Home One?) is a bit of a beast and if this gets out early then you're on to a winner.

As I've mentioned in previous posts, I really like this game - it's lighthearted, fast and fun. But completely ridiculous! :-) With one or two exceptions I generally keep the high powered cards to use in Edge Battles. For example Whenever I get Palpatine or Yoda into play, they rarely last long without getting taken out by a lowly fighter or Force Choke!

#27 thedaffodilfish

thedaffodilfish

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:30 AM

Toqtamish said:

With 1 core for LS I recommend Smugglers and Spies with 6 Rebel OSets and the 3 neutral. 

I can't remember the name of the specific OS but there are a couple of "Rebel Alliance Only" cards that are pretty much auto includes, so I think you need to run Rebel Alliance splashing for Smugglers and Spies?

#28 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:48 AM

thedaffodilfish said:

Toqtamish said:

I can't remember the name of the specific OS but there are a couple of "Rebel Alliance Only" cards that are pretty much auto includes, so I think you need to run Rebel Alliance splashing for Smugglers and Spies?

That is why I said 6 Rebel Alliance. Take out the "RA only" Mobilize  the Squadrons. Each affiliation only has 1 " X affiliation only" objective set at this time. 

#29 shaggscoob

shaggscoob

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:03 PM

So I think my Jedi and Sith decks are pretty well optimized, now I'm looking to make the rebels work.

Anyone have a rebel deck that works well without Han?  It feels like both Jedi and Rebels need Han to really work well.

#30 carolina_bryan

carolina_bryan

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:25 AM

shaggscoob said:

Just out of curiousity, what do you use for your last two objective slots in this deck (I'm assuming 2x  of the objectives w/Luke, Obi, Guardians and Han).  I'm asking b/c, after several games of trying to make a mono-Jedi work, I've resigned myself to splash Han.  Either mono-Jedi isn't fully formed yet, or it requires a playstyle that I'm not good at (or perhaps a bit of both).

I lean toward 2x A Journey to Dagobah.  Red Five, Target of Opportunity and Double Strike increase your damage output, and the pod as a whole gives you a nice resource boost (objective, R2).  You are, however, sacrificing Force Icons and some of your control/survival cards.

Any thoughts?

#31 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:39 AM

carolina_bryan said:

shaggscoob said:

Just out of curiousity, what do you use for your last two objective slots in this deck (I'm assuming 2x  of the objectives w/Luke, Obi, Guardians and Han).  I'm asking b/c, after several games of trying to make a mono-Jedi work, I've resigned myself to splash Han.  Either mono-Jedi isn't fully formed yet, or it requires a playstyle that I'm not good at (or perhaps a bit of both).

I lean toward 2x A Journey to Dagobah.  Red Five, Target of Opportunity and Double Strike increase your damage output, and the pod as a whole gives you a nice resource boost (objective, R2).  You are, however, sacrificing Force Icons and some of your control/survival cards.

Any thoughts?

I would not use Journey to Dagobah as that is Jedi only and you would want to use Smugglers and Spies affiliation since you are splashing in Han and company. I would use Last Minute Rescue instead for the healing and card recursion from Redemption. Helps keep Han around on the table.

#32 carolina_bryan

carolina_bryan

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:31 AM

Toqtamish said:

carolina_bryan said:

shaggscoob said:

Any thoughts?

I would not use Journey to Dagobah as that is Jedi only and you would want to use Smugglers and Spies affiliation since you are splashing in Han and company. I would use Last Minute Rescue instead for the healing and card recursion from Redemption. Helps keep Han around on the table.

Thanks for reminding me that Journey to Dagobah was Jedi only!  How do you think Last Minute Rescue stacks up against Jedi Training?  4x Jedi Mind Trick seems to go well with Swindled.

#33 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:39 AM

carolina_bryan said:

Thanks for reminding me that Journey to Dagobah was Jedi only!  How do you think Last Minute Rescue stacks up against Jedi Training?  4x Jedi Mind Trick seems to go well with Swindled.

They do go well together but I really like Last Minute Rescue to help keep the key characters alive. But 4 Jed Mind Trick and 2 Swindled would be fun to really frustrate your opponent.

#34 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

• Members
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:07 AM

carolina_bryan said:

Toqtamish said:

carolina_bryan said:

shaggscoob said:

Any thoughts?

I tried a Jedi Mind Trick deck once (yes, only once) and got smashed by an Imperial vehicle deck. It was truly amazing. Since that time, I've been using this Imperial deck and it's worked out really well (for all of four games). [My sample sizes need help, but anyway..]

Sith Affiliation
2x Black Squadron Assault
2x Imperial Command
2x Death and Despayre
2x Kuat Reinforcments
2x Defense Protocol

This deck gives you plenty of resources, Devastator, tons of fighters, extra objective damage with Orbital Bombardment, and your fighters can go the extra mile with 4 copies of Tallon Roll. If you're lucky, you can get the Black Squadron Assault objective on the table too, which lets you focus it to remove a focu token from a Black Squadron card, further increasing the ways you can get a unit to strike twice in a round. I also had a great game where Devastor got out first round, and then I let Defense Protocol kick in every turn after that to knock out Rebel units. I feel like this deck gives you lots of ways to go with your strategy.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#35 shaggscoob

shaggscoob

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:58 PM

I would say Jedi needs han.  Luke is good, but having that extra main is important.  Especially because you'll be throwing away a lot of your other mains just to win the edge.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS