22 replies to this topic

#21 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,020 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:21 AM

dbmeboy said:

It was mentioned in an earlier thread that attackers are declared before Secret can use its interrupt per playtesters.  That said, I tend to agree with Toqtamish's RAW assessment.  However, I wouldn't say that it's a solid case as you must have at least 1 attacker for an objective to be engaged (you can't declare an engagement with zero attackers - pg 18).  That gives credit to the argument that the objective is not engaged until attackers are declared, which is what playtesters were (reportedly) told.

And that makes no sense with the RAW as it clearly says you pick an objective to engage. So reading that it means the objective is now engaged. I don't give too much credence to the playtesters, no offense to any of them, but who knows what changed after the playtesting period ended. Just have to keep holding our breath for the now late FAQ.

#22 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,305 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:06 AM

Toqtamish said:

dbmeboy said:

It was mentioned in an earlier thread that attackers are declared before Secret can use its interrupt per playtesters.  That said, I tend to agree with Toqtamish's RAW assessment.  However, I wouldn't say that it's a solid case as you must have at least 1 attacker for an objective to be engaged (you can't declare an engagement with zero attackers - pg 18).  That gives credit to the argument that the objective is not engaged until attackers are declared, which is what playtesters were (reportedly) told.

And that makes no sense with the RAW as it clearly says you pick an objective to engage. So reading that it means the objective is now engaged. I don't give too much credence to the playtesters, no offense to any of them, but who knows what changed after the playtesting period ended. Just have to keep holding our breath for the now late FAQ.

Yes, step 1 is to pick an objective to engage, but it doesn't really say at what point the objective is considered to be "engaged."  Like I said, I tend to agree with your interpretation of RAW, but it's far from clear in the rules.  In this case I rather suspect that RAI is that attackers need to be picked first.

#23 Bomb

Bomb

Cool Person Club

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:05 PM

The Rebel Fleet is an example of an objective where the play restrictions make a huge different in picking the objective to engage or not. Attackers declared is most likely linked to selecting the objective especially if Enhance cards might be able to create new play restrictions on how an objective can be attacked or engaged.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS