Photo

What will be the optimal number of interceptors to use in a 100pt squad?

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#41 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 840 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

Well, the max number of Interceptors you can have is 5, so how about this:

Turr with PtL

Alpha Squadron X4

I think 6-8 ship TIE swarms with 2 attack dice just aren't going to cut it with Wave 2 (whether or not they did in Wave 1 is arguable, but that's another topic), so I think an Interceptor swarm like this is going to be the new norm for swarms. I think you're going to see 3 attack dice be almost necessary now due to the overuse of Stealth Device. Swarms are going to go away from 6+ attacks with 2 dice to 5 attacks with 3 dice. You could replace Turr with Backstabber and an Academy Pilot in this squad, but I don't know if you get the same punch with those 2.

I do like Stormtrooper's (I think, if not, I apologize) "You can't touch this squad" of Alpha pilot X4 with Stealth Device and Dark Curse. Defensively it's pretty sound, and it packs the offensive punch of 4 Interceptors.

#42 AnsibleTheta

AnsibleTheta

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

hothie said:

The more i thought about this today, the more I like the idea of upgrading the AP to Winged Gundark. He will be attacking after 3 of my other ships, so they will have the chance to take away some shields, meaning Gundark's crit will be more effective if it doesn't kill the ship outright. Plus that puts the squad at 99, which I'm not opposed to. And with initiative, I'll be moving before Biggs, Dutch, Wedge, or Vader anyway, so I can still block if i need to. Plus I like having a 15 point bodyguard rather than a 19 point one anyway. So after considering it today, I think I like the squad like this:

Turr Phennir with PtL

Mauler Mithel with Veteran Instincts

Fel's Wrath

Winged Gundark

Black Squadron pilot with Draw Their Fire

It may not be the end-all be-all, but it'll be fun! :)

I ran your list, "The Isle of Misfit TIES" today in a quick game vs Wedge, Luke & 2 rookie Xwings.  99pts each

My opponent was inexperienced but I think the list proved itself.  Fel's Wrath performed exactly as you hoped he would.  Wedge & Luke fried him in the first volley, but he took both of Wedge's shields before he went.  Soontir Fel and Mauler slipped into Wedge's 6 the next round and killed him while Gundark & bodyguard stripped Luke's shields post koiogran.  Here is where my opponents inexperience hurt him.  He ran luke away, bringing the two rookies around to attack Gundark & guard, but he didn't realize I could Straight 3 destress, so the rookies ended up pointed the wrong way while my 4 ships closed the noose around Luke and iced him, but it took all 4 shots to do it (stupid inherent def buff :D)

We had to end it there since he had to leave, but I just wanted to let you know The Misfits are no joke!!  Keep up the good work, Hothie.

#43 Darth Lupine

Darth Lupine

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:51 AM

Ran  a 150 pointer last night, running Soontir and Turr both with ptl and stealth, 2 Tempest squadron with concussion missiles, Mauler with stealth and a black squadron pilot with elusiveness. Opponent was running Han in the falcon, Wedge with assorted upgrades (shields and r2d2) and two rookie Xwings. 

Won the game after taking the Falcon out ( which took an absolutely ridiculous amount of shooting). Soontir with ptl and stealth is almost impossible to hit; move, boost, ptl for evade, stress, focus. Three actions a turn. Was rolling 4 agility dice plus the evade. Frustrating as hell for my opponent. 

Love the interceptors and will be getting at least two more…..

#44 Vorpal Sword

Vorpal Sword

• Members
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:25 AM

hothie said:

Well, the max number of Interceptors you can have is 5, so how about this:

Turr with PtL

Alpha Squadron X4

I think 6-8 ship TIE swarms with 2 attack dice just aren't going to cut it with Wave 2 (whether or not they did in Wave 1 is arguable, but that's another topic), so I think an Interceptor swarm like this is going to be the new norm for swarms. I think you're going to see 3 attack dice be almost necessary now due to the overuse of Stealth Device. Swarms are going to go away from 6+ attacks with 2 dice to 5 attacks with 3 dice. You could replace Turr with Backstabber and an Academy Pilot in this squad, but I don't know if you get the same punch with those 2.

I do like Stormtrooper's (I think, if not, I apologize) "You can't touch this squad" of Alpha pilot X4 with Stealth Device and Dark Curse. Defensively it's pretty sound, and it packs the offensive punch of 4 Interceptors.

I have that exact list written down under the heading "stuff to test". I love the idea of 5 Interceptors, but my big worry is that the Alphas' pilot skill will hurt them. You can't afford the kind of losses the Wave 1 TIE swarms could, and a 4 X-wing list wouldn't need much luck to pick off an Alpha before it ever fires. I think it'll still be okay, and it's an excuse to play with Turr (who after a few practice games I actually like better than Fel), but maybe you end up padding out your numbers with the TIE fighters just to give your opponent something to shoot at while you flank with the Interceptors.

#45 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 840 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:42 AM

Yeah, I'm kinda partial towards Turr over Fel myself, although PtL is great on both. Turr is a little cheaper for effectively the same thing. I just like being able to get out of my opponents firing arc after attacking with Turr, which is really nice.

#46 Darth Lupine

Darth Lupine

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:01 AM

After last night (see my post above) I'm actually a bit undecided between Turr and Fel. Fel with ptl and a stealth device is a nightmare to hit. Turr on the other hand can pull off insane maneuvers with the same cards. Hmmmm…..

#47 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 840 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

I didn't have much time today. So I ended up playing a 60 point game. I wanted to at least try some of my misfits out, so I ran:

Fel's Wrath

Black Squadron Pilot with Draw Their Fire and Shield Upgrade

He ran Wedge and Dutch. (I was happy because I had the chance to use Fel's ability.)

Optimally, I would like to be out of range 3, and then move into Range 1 the next round when the combat starts, so I've been working on an opening that delays the combat until I'm ready. So I ran that opening, and it worked pretty well. I managed to stay out of combat until I could get right into range 1. And boy was it bloody for him. Took Wedge out first combat round, then koiograned and made a few shots at Dutch. Dutch hit Mauler once (his 2 dice vs my 4, 3 blanks and a focus) ,and that was all of the damage that i took (wedge rolled bad on his attack). He landed Dutch on an asteroid, and the game was brutally over shortly afterwards.

The squad ran pretty much like I thought it would, which was good. And my opening worked like I thought it would, so I was happy about that. Overall, I feel good about running the misfits. I'll have to try and get a game in next weekend when i can play all of them together.

#48 zathras23

zathras23

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:20 PM

hothie said:

Keep in mind Daredevil will give you a stress token, as it is a red maneuver. Therefore, if Turr uses that during the activation phase, he won't be able to take his free boost/barrel roll after attacking, because he will have a stress token, thus preventing him from taking those free actions. This is why I'm not a fan of Daredevil on Turr.

Instead, I prefer Push the Limit. During the activation phase, use any of his listed actions as necessary, then after attacking, either Boost or Barrel roll. Then activate Push the limit to use another action as necessary. My preference is to barrel roll, the boost out of my opponent's firing arc, thus I will attack him but he cannot attack back. You will then receive a stress token. Next round execute a green maneuver, of which the TIE Interceptor has plenty, rinse, and repeat. :)

Agree. Daredevil is a better fit with Fel due to the fact that his special ability is to get a focus token when he gets a stress token. I was lucky enough to make the finals in out local KRT and that's the way Fel was kitted out in the list provided. It was fun being able to stay behind an A-wing no matter what my opponent tried to do to shake me off his tail.

#49 Duraham

Duraham

• Members
  • 729 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:15 PM

hothie said:

I didn't have much time today. So I ended up playing a 60 point game. I wanted to at least try some of my misfits out, so I ran:

Fel's Wrath

Black Squadron Pilot with Draw Their Fire and Shield Upgrade

He ran Wedge and Dutch. (I was happy because I had the chance to use Fel's ability.)

Optimally, I would like to be out of range 3, and then move into Range 1 the next round when the combat starts, so I've been working on an opening that delays the combat until I'm ready. So I ran that opening, and it worked pretty well. I managed to stay out of combat until I could get right into range 1. And boy was it bloody for him. Took Wedge out first combat round, then koiograned and made a few shots at Dutch. Dutch hit Mauler once (his 2 dice vs my 4, 3 blanks and a focus) ,and that was all of the damage that i took (wedge rolled bad on his attack). He landed Dutch on an asteroid, and the game was brutally over shortly afterwards.

The squad ran pretty much like I thought it would, which was good. And my opening worked like I thought it would, so I was happy about that. Overall, I feel good about running the misfits. I'll have to try and get a game in next weekend when i can play all of them together.

I'm more curious about the maneuvers actually, I find myself usually stuck at range 2 or risk overshooting/collisions with the target when I attempt to pull that off. I understand the beginning maneuvers because there is really only that few effective methods to delay the first engagement, but after the range 3/ out of range round what do you do? Koiogran 4/5 the front few ships? or rush in with forward 2/3 then use boost to further adjust the distance? or just risk it with forward 5? and also, wouldn't the in-your-face range 1 exchange be very risky too, especially when Wedge has the potential to one-shot TIEs.

#50 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 840 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:11 AM

I managed to delay until we were just out of Range 3, then went straight 4 or bank 3 depending. My bodyguard went first, which leaves a nice blocker behind my front wave in case he does try to k-turn to get behind me. But seriously, when we're out of range 3, who then does a k-turn as their next maneuver?

And yes, being at Range 1 is risky defensively, but that's why the bodyguard is there, to try and mitigate some of the damage I'll take.

#51 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 840 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:19 AM

Part of the decision comes from what my opponent did the first 2-3 rounds as well, and how far out of range we are before jumping right into range 1. If I think a straight 5 will do it, I'll do that, but if we're barely out of range, I may do a 3 or 4 maneuver depending on if I think my opponent will go 1 or 2. As it turned out last Sunday, a 3 and 4 maneuver was exactly right for gauging what my opponent was going to do.

#52 Vespula

Vespula

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:45 AM

Had you play tested  the four Alpha and Turr combo?

#53 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 840 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:46 AM

Not yet. I played a few games today. The Misfits lost bad. Apparently they aren't nearly as effective when they aren't at Range 1. But then I played my "Pseudo-Interceptor" squad and did quite well. So, I dunno. We'll see when Wave 2 gets released.

#54 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 840 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:13 PM

The more squads I build, the more I think the optimal number of Interceptors is going to be 2 for my play style.

My "Pseudo-Interceptor" squad does well:

Turr w/PtL
Mauler w/Engine Upgrade
Backstabber w/Engine Upgrade
Dark Curse w/Stealth
Academy Pilot

The trouble with this squad is I would rather use Backstabber's and Mauler's actions for things other than Boost. I mean, it's fun to give the Boost action to regular TIEs, but i just didn't use it as much as I thought I would. So, I tweaked it a little like this:

Turr w/PtL
Mauler w/Veteran Instincts
Dark Curse w/Stealth
Backstabber
Alpha Squadron Pilot

That gives me 2 Interceptors, as well as 2 other TIEs that can shoot with an extra die, as well as "The Untouchable" Dark Curse to help with clean up. It's also a 99 point squad, so I should have initiative, so Mauler will get to go first, and if Turr is facing another level 7 pilot, hopefully he can get out of the firing arc after he attacks.

I looked at Swarm Tactics on Mauler, but then I have to keep the Alpha within 1 of him, and I just don't think that's going to be nearly as easy to do after wave 2 releases. The TIE squads I'm favoring now don't rely on squad cohesion at all, but instead rely on individual fighters attacking from many angles, which I think will be a necessary evolution with my opponent having the boost action.

The Misfits would be an exception to this line of thinking. But they are hit and miss. When they work, they work well, but when they don't work, they fall apart quickly. So maybe the squads I listed here will be more consistent.

I also looked at some 3 Interceptor squads, but I don't think they will fit my style of play. I think the only squad with more than 2 Interceptors that I want to try is Turr w/PtL and 4 Alphas. I'm curious to see if the firepower of that squad will actually work, or if the 3 agility/hull will be its downfall before it gets a chance to attack.

#55 The_Brown_Bomber

The_Brown_Bomber

• Members
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:22 PM

hothie said:

The more squads I build, the more I think the optimal number of Interceptors is going to be 2 for my play style.

My "Pseudo-Interceptor" squad does well:

Turr w/PtL
Mauler w/Engine Upgrade
Backstabber w/Engine Upgrade
Dark Curse w/Stealth
Academy Pilot

The trouble with this squad is I would rather use Backstabber's and Mauler's actions for things other than Boost. I mean, it's fun to give the Boost action to regular TIEs, but i just didn't use it as much as I thought I would. So, I tweaked it a little like this:

Turr w/PtL
Mauler w/Veteran Instincts
Dark Curse w/Stealth
Backstabber
Alpha Squadron Pilot

That gives me 2 Interceptors, as well as 2 other TIEs that can shoot with an extra die, as well as "The Untouchable" Dark Curse to help with clean up. It's also a 99 point squad, so I should have initiative, so Mauler will get to go first, and if Turr is facing another level 7 pilot, hopefully he can get out of the firing arc after he attacks.

I looked at Swarm Tactics on Mauler, but then I have to keep the Alpha within 1 of him, and I just don't think that's going to be nearly as easy to do after wave 2 releases. The TIE squads I'm favoring now don't rely on squad cohesion at all, but instead rely on individual fighters attacking from many angles, which I think will be a necessary evolution with my opponent having the boost action.

The Misfits would be an exception to this line of thinking. But they are hit and miss. When they work, they work well, but when they don't work, they fall apart quickly. So maybe the squads I listed here will be more consistent.

I also looked at some 3 Interceptor squads, but I don't think they will fit my style of play. I think the only squad with more than 2 Interceptors that I want to try is Turr w/PtL and 4 Alphas. I'm curious to see if the firepower of that squad will actually work, or if the 3 agility/hull will be its downfall before it gets a chance to attack.

3 interceptors will be worth a try eh? id be edf tempted to run swarm tactics if i was going with that number. illl own 3 intercepters soon (have them back ordered) so ill be able to post some feedback here soon on 3 intercepter builds.

"There will be a substantial reward for anyone who finds the Millenium Falcon. You are free to use whatever means necessary, but I want them alive. No disintegration!".

Lord Vader

#56 Vespula

Vespula

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:20 PM

Another option I had not seen mentioned is Turr with PtL and 3 X Saber all with PtL. A list like that would have good synergy. Comes to 100 points on the nose.

#57 The_Brown_Bomber

The_Brown_Bomber

• Members
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:56 AM

Vespula said:

Another option I had not seen mentioned is Turr with PtL and 3 X Saber all with PtL. A list like that would have good synergy. Comes to 100 points on the nose.

nice. i will soon own 3 intercepters. maybe i should by a 4th?

"There will be a substantial reward for anyone who finds the Millenium Falcon. You are free to use whatever means necessary, but I want them alive. No disintegration!".

Lord Vader

#58 The R5Don4 Star II

The R5Don4 Star II

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:26 AM

and a fifth for good measure.

#59 Vorpal Sword

Vorpal Sword

• Members
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:29 AM

The R5Don4 Star II said:

and a fifth for good measure.

I have one, and will be buying four more. From this perspective on the set--that is, having seen how much fun one is but without having flown a group of them--it's hard to really say how many is the right number, and I'd like the option of going all the way up to Turr + 4x Alpha if I want to.

#60 Vespula

Vespula

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:57 AM

Any person facing four Tie Intercepters with PtL will have a lot of WTF moments.  The key will be closing that range so they can truly shine. Their maneuverability and effectiveness will be brutal once they get amongst the Rebel ranks. With so many green maneuver options available stress should not be an issue. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS