Photo

What will be the optimal number of interceptors to use in a 100pt squad?

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#21 deviant-dj

deviant-dj

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:44 PM

The_Brown_Bomber said:

deviant-dj said:

Ive been running 2 lists that run 4 ships, ive yet to lose with my 4 tie int list and my 2 tie 2 adv list has only lost once and that was more due to me playing like a ***

what upgrades do u use?

is vader one of the advanced ties? or do u run 2 storm squadron pilots (23pts each)

imp wave 1 (96pts)

100pt Empire Roster (Standard)

Empire (Standard) Selections:

TIE Fighter (36pts)

T/F •"Backstabber" (16pts)
Barrel Roll, Evade, Focus, Unique Pilot Ability
T/F •"Howlrunner" (20pts)
Barrel Roll, Evade, Focus, Unique Pilot Ability
Swarm Tactics (2pts)
TIE Advanced (25pts)

T/A Tempest Squadron Pilot (25pts)
Barrel Roll, Evade, Focus, Target Lock
Concussion Missiles (4pts)
TIE Advanced x1 (35pts)

T/A •Darth Vader (35pts)
Barrel Roll, Evade, Focus, Target Lock, Unique Pilot Ability
Concussion Missiles (4pts), Swarm Tactics (2pts)

thats the 4 ship list i run currently. The tactics are to keep the 2 advanced paired up and the 2 advanced together, the advanced move far enough forward to get target locks on high priority targets such as ywings or imp pilots with swarm, the ties pile forward and try to get behind the enemy and harrass them. Its been using all wave 1 stuff because our up coming kessel event has said we can inly use wave 1 stuff as very very few people have access to it here yet. 

#22 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 980 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:33 AM

The_Brown_Bomber said:

hothie said:

What about making regular TIEs into pseudo-Interceptors? How about this:

Turr Phennir with Push the Limit (this combo will be a staple in my Imperial squads from now on. I've used it very effectively every time I've run it. It's beautiful when I can attack, then duck out of the way and not get attacked back. :)

Mauler Mithel with Engine Upgrade

Backstabber with Engine Upgrade

Dark Curse with Stealth (another beautiful combo. Hasn't taken a hit yet.)

Academy Pilot

Essentially, giving Boost to Mauler and Backstabber give them the maneuverability of the Interceptor, and their abilities give them the extra dice. So you're effectively getting Interceptors for cheaper, with higher Pilot skills. Yes, I know, the extra dice are in the given situations, but still. And the maneuvers are a little different, but not by much. Thoughts?

And as an added plus, I can actually field this squad now without using proxies, as I have 1 Interceptor.

nice synergy hothie. i like dark curse + stealth. very sneaky. the high squad point cost of the intercepters in comparison to tie fighters (even the name ones) makes it hard to field a team with more than 2 intercepters thats good enough eh? Turr = the new Vader.

Yeah, this gives the feel of interceptors at a reduced cost, which leaves points available for an Academy Pilot. And it's difficult to compare Turr and Vader because the ships are so very different (shields, maneuverablilty, upgrades, stats), but I can say having Push the Limit on Turr is absolutely wonderful, at least for my play style.

#23 Iceplague

Iceplague

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

Hothie, nice roster! 

Fel with PTL is superb, same with Dark Curse using a Stealth field. Been toying around with those two aswell.

But I've found another hard named empire pilot who is hard to kill.

• Turr Phennir w/Daredevil

You don't have to fly at the enemy with him, instead trying to always get to the side of the enemy ships, then executing his daredevil action to bring him into the enemy side, where he can shoot at him, but not getting shot back. And as you fire at him you can then move again, either out of the way or preapare to follow the previous target to finish him of. :)
But you really need to be good with the turns here. ;)
Using Darth Vader with squad tactics, means that he can first make his move, do the daredevil action, then getting a free action from darth, he can perfom a barrel or a boost, and after attacking, do a barrel or a boost again, but need to choose carefully on what he cooses first, as they are free actions and you can't do 2 of the same free action in the same turn. Insane maneuvering.. I love it already! :)

• Scoontir Fel w/PTL
  • Turr Phennir w/Daredevil
  • Dark Curse w/Stealth
  • Saber Squadron pilot w/veteran
  • Total: 99p

Gives you an edge against other 100 rosters and can manouver the hell out of almost everything.

#24 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 980 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

Keep in mind Daredevil will give you a stress token, as it is a red maneuver. Therefore, if Turr uses that during the activation phase, he won't be able to take his free boost/barrel roll after attacking, because he will have a stress token, thus preventing him from taking those free actions. This is why I'm not a fan of Daredevil on Turr.

Instead, I prefer Push the Limit. During the activation phase, use any of his listed actions as necessary, then after attacking, either Boost or Barrel roll. Then activate Push the limit to use another action as necessary. My preference is to barrel roll, the boost out of my opponent's firing arc, thus I will attack him but he cannot attack back. You will then receive a stress token. Next round execute a green maneuver, of which the TIE Interceptor has plenty, rinse, and repeat. :)

#25 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 980 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

hothie said:

Turr Phennir with Push the Limit (this combo will be a staple in my Imperial squads from now on. I've used it very effectively every time I've run it. It's beautiful when I can attack, then duck out of the way and not get attacked back. :)

Academy Pilot

Essentially, giving Boost to Mauler and Backstabber give them the maneuverability of the Interceptor, and their abilities give them the extra dice. So you're effectively getting Interceptors for cheaper, with higher Pilot skills. Yes, I know, the extra dice are in the given situations, but still. And the maneuvers are a little different, but not by much. Thoughts?

And as an added plus, I can actually field this squad now without using proxies, as I have 1 Interceptor.

So I played this today against Ziggy, and it worked really well. He took Turr out quickly, but even so, this squad still had enough firepower to take out his Turr, Howlrunner, and Krass, only losing the Academy Pilot to a well-placed proximity mine. It was a fun game, which we knew it would be right off because we loaded the asteroids in the middle of the board. He had a Firespray, so I knew maneuvering through the field would be difficult, and it proved to be. He probably should have relied on his auxiliary firing arc more while getting into clear areas to fire and maneuver. Oh, and Stealthed Dark Curse still hasn't taken a hit yet in 3 games. I like this squad. I boosted a few times with Backstabber and Mauler, which helped, and had a lot of fun barrel rolling into and out of firing arcs.

#26 The_Brown_Bomber

The_Brown_Bomber

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:24 PM

hothie said:

hothie said:

Academy Pilot

So I played this today against Ziggy, and it worked really well. He took Turr out quickly, but even so, this squad still had enough firepower to take out his Turr, Howlrunner, and Krass, only losing the Academy Pilot to a well-placed proximity mine. It was a fun game, which we knew it would be right off because we loaded the asteroids in the middle of the board. He had a Firespray, so I knew maneuvering through the field would be difficult, and it proved to be. He probably should have relied on his auxiliary firing arc more while getting into clear areas to fire and maneuver. Oh, and Stealthed Dark Curse still hasn't taken a hit yet in 3 games. I like this squad. I boosted a few times with Backstabber and Mauler, which helped, and had a lot of fun barrel rolling into and out of firing arcs.

gr8 feedback. good to see ur putting up some decent results already, i can help but think two intercepters is optimal but there simply isnt room with this nimber of name pilots so u will have to rob peter to pay for paul which is tough as u have already got decent synergy. im gonna do some testing and tweeking witha  simlar build.

"There will be a substantial reward for anyone who finds the Millenium Falcon. You are free to use whatever means necessary, but I want them alive. No disintegration!".

Lord Vader

#27 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 980 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:08 PM

Yeah, giving Boost to Backstabber and Mauler really worked well. Backstabber got to use his ability a few times, so it was like shooting with an Interceptor. If I were to use more actual interceptors, I would have to get rid of the Academy Pilot, and that 5th ship really makes a big difference. Especially since I can use him to "block". I can't really do that with any of the other ships in the squad. So, I'm happy with the build.

#28 Atmosfear

Atmosfear

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:32 PM

hothie said:

Keep in mind Daredevil will give you a stress token, as it is a red maneuver. Therefore, if Turr uses that during the activation phase, he won't be able to take his free boost/barrel roll after attacking, because he will have a stress token, thus preventing him from taking those free actions. This is why I'm not a fan of Daredevil on Turr.

Instead, I prefer Push the Limit. During the activation phase, use any of his listed actions as necessary, then after attacking, either Boost or Barrel roll. Then activate Push the limit to use another action as necessary. My preference is to barrel roll, the boost out of my opponent's firing arc, thus I will attack him but he cannot attack back. You will then receive a stress token. Next round execute a green maneuver, of which the TIE Interceptor has plenty, rinse, and repeat. :)

I haven't playtested at all, so I'm looking for your feedback of having actually played a couple sessions… it seems as though Push the Limit is overkill on Turr. How often do you find the PTL free action to be "critical"? The reason I ask is because, for 1 point less, you can take Veteran Instincts on Turr (making him PS9), and initiative for the game (PTL costs 3 vs VI costs 1 and a 99 point build "costs" 1.) As was mentioned above, you'll outmaneuver Wedge all day long.

#29 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 980 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:57 PM

Oh, using PtL comes up every single game with Turr.

Imagine I am facing your ship at Range 1. Turr has pilot level 7, and yours is less than that, so I attack first. I make my attack, I then use my free barrel roll action. Then with Push the Limit, I use the boost action. I am now no longer in your firing arc. So I attacked you at range 1, rolling 4 dice, and now you can't attack me back. Plus, in one of the games, after attacking at range 1, my barrel roll and boost action got me out of Range 2 of the ship behind me, so now I was at range 3, AND I was hiding behind an asteroid. So, now my rolling 3 defense dice against the ship behind me just went to rolling 5 defense dice after I made my attack. That was absolutely beautiful, and totally worth it. You can trick Turr out any way you want, and have fun doing it. For me and my play style, I'm sticking with Push the Limit on him.

#30 deviant-dj

deviant-dj

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:43 PM

Im quite liking the 1-2 punch combo of purr and fel, im debating losing my 2 unamed ints and sticking vader with push the limit and either concusion or homing missiles just to get close, take out something important then boost past.

#31 Gravis

Gravis

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:24 AM

A little disclaimer for those who may be reading this thread for advice, and haven't actually tried out the Interceptors yet.

An Interceptor is a lot of points for one attack die and the same survivability as a Tie Fighter.  Their largest strength is maneuverability (maneuver dial coupled with boost action) and that extra attack die is just a bonus.  Keep that in mind when you field them for the first time, because if you fly straight at your opponent and are both firing range 1 shots at eachother, your Interceptor will die just as quickly as an Academy Pilot.

#32 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 980 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

Ok, another squad idea with 2 Interceptors:

Turr with Ptl (I've said a lot about this already. Not going into it again.)

Mauler Mithel with Veteran Instincts

Fel's Wrath

Black Squadron Pilot with Draw Their Fire and Shield Upgrade

Academy Pilot

Essentially this is a kamikaze squad, meant to be played at Range 1. Mauler, Fel's Wrath, the bodyguard (more on that in a minute), and possibly the Academy Pilot rush in to try and get Range 1 quickly. While Turr can either hang back or get into the fray. I would love to put Draw Their Fire on Fel's Wrath, but he doesn't have an elite pilot talent so I can't. (So he could take crits even after his max damage level has been achieved.)

As the game evolves, it seems squads are tending toward fewer pilots but with higher skill levels, and everyone has Stealth Device or some such upgrade. Stealth Device is even more powerful at Range 3, and when attacking through asteroids. So, one way to get rid of the Stealth Device is to take advantage of the Range 1 attack bonus to primary attacks. Once Stealth Device is gone, ships tend to go down quickly from what I've seen. Crab all you want about Fel's Wrath, but at Range 1, he could be very useful for getting rid of Stealth Device. Ditto for Mauler. The Academy Pilot can either "block" or fly in the second wave with Turr. There are a few options with how to play the AP.

The fun part though is the bodyguard. You probably think I'm crazy putting Draw their Fire and a Shield Upgrade on a Black Squadron Pilot, and you're probably right. But with an aggressive squad like this, I thought it would be fun to have a bodyguard flying right behind them soaking up the crits that they take. With TIE squads, you want your opponent to spread the damage out amongst your ships, and this is the cheapest way to make him do so. Plus I had an extra 4 points, so I thought a shield upgrade would make him last a little bit longer. Plus, how great is it when Wedge crits Mauler, only to have the level 4 pilot take the damage?

This is a very aggressive squad, and in playtesting it, it may not turn out so well, but I thought it could be a fun twist.

#33 Duraham

Duraham

• Members
  • 820 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

why not use the remaining 4 points to upgrade the last academy pilot to Winged Gundark / Backstabber instead? works better with the theme of hitting others at range 1

or give the bodyguard an engine upgrade so he can keep up with the rest and be whereever he is needed

#34 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 980 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:06 AM

If I don't use Boost on Fel's wrath, the bodyguard should be able to keep up fairly easily. And I may look at Backstabber instead and see what I think of it. I dunno. I thought having a shield on the bodyguard would at least mitigate one of the crits without resolving its effect at all,which might make him last a little bit longer. But losing a 15 point bodyguard is easier to swallow than losing a 19 point one. Eh, I tinker and see what i come up with.

Although there is something to be said for being able to block Dutch from Target Locking, or blocking Biggs from using R2F2, or blocking Wedge from using Expose, etc. And I do like to do those things.

#35 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 980 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:07 AM

The more i thought about this today, the more I like the idea of upgrading the AP to Winged Gundark. He will be attacking after 3 of my other ships, so they will have the chance to take away some shields, meaning Gundark's crit will be more effective if it doesn't kill the ship outright. Plus that puts the squad at 99, which I'm not opposed to. And with initiative, I'll be moving before Biggs, Dutch, Wedge, or Vader anyway, so I can still block if i need to. Plus I like having a 15 point bodyguard rather than a 19 point one anyway. So after considering it today, I think I like the squad like this:

Turr Phennir with PtL

Fel's Wrath

Winged Gundark

Black Squadron pilot with Draw Their Fire

It may not be the end-all be-all, but it'll be fun! :)

#36 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 980 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:12 PM

And with Fel's Wrath, Winged Gundark, and Black Squadron Pilot, all TIEs that don't/won't see a lot of action, I think I'm calling this squad "The Island of Misfit TIEs." :D

#37 Vorpal Sword

Vorpal Sword

O frabjous day!

• Members
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:58 AM

hothie said:

The more i thought about this today, the more I like the idea of upgrading the AP to Winged Gundark. He will be attacking after 3 of my other ships, so they will have the chance to take away some shields, meaning Gundark's crit will be more effective if it doesn't kill the ship outright. Plus that puts the squad at 99, which I'm not opposed to. And with initiative, I'll be moving before Biggs, Dutch, Wedge, or Vader anyway, so I can still block if i need to. Plus I like having a 15 point bodyguard rather than a 19 point one anyway. So after considering it today, I think I like the squad like this:

Turr Phennir with PtL

Fel's Wrath

Winged Gundark

Black Squadron pilot with Draw Their Fire

It may not be the end-all be-all, but it'll be fun! :)

One suggestion: Fel's Wrath is a good thematic fit for the Island of Misfit TIEs, but he costs 23 points for a PS5 Interceptor with a really situational ability. A Saber Squadron Pilot with Veteran Instincts is 22 points for a PS6 Interceptor--you miss out on Fel's ability, but the increase in skill also makes it more likely that you'll get your attack in the last round anyway.

I don't know if shaving off that extra point does you any good, since you like the squad where it is--but I've been having a lot of fun with Saber Squadron lately.

#38 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 980 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

Well, the way I figure it, there will be enough ships at, shall we say level 6 or greater, that Fel's Wrath will likely be destroyed by a ship of higher pilot skill, especially with a kamikaze squad like this one is. And keep in mind, I plan on playing this squad at range 1 as much as possible, which means my opponent will be at range 1 as well when he attacks. Even with a bodyguard, I do expect him to be destroyed by someone higher than him. His ability just means that he will be able to get his last shot off before dying, which will hopefully be at Range 1, meaning 4 dice. That is what I have planned.

Another option is I face, say a Wedge with 3 rookies or some such. I fly Fel's Wrath straight at Wedge, because FW's ability is useless with the rooks. I get that. Likewise scenario with a similar Imperial build, I fly at Vader, or Fel, or whomever.

Another option is the YT/Firespray as an opponent. If facing one, I plan on those pilots being level 5 or higher as well, as most of them are, and especially the ones that are worth fielding. If one of those destroys FW, I still get my shot.

Yes, I know I may be crazy for fielding FW, but with the way the game is headed, I'll give it a shot. I'll run this list a few times, see how it does, tweak, etc. I may go with a cheaper option, but I do kinda like the squad as it is now.

And if he does get destroyed by someone with higher pilot skill than him, my opponent just got 23 points. But what if I kill something that's worth more with my final shot? Is that not worth fielding him? Barebones Dutch and Arvel are the same cost but higher skill. Would you run either of these without upgrades? The only other pilots that are higher skill level but cost less are the named regular TIEs, in which case FW may not be as worth his points, but certainly can take one of them out before being removed from the board.

#39 The R5Don4 Star II

The R5Don4 Star II

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:30 AM

100 points

15 points
Black Squadron Pilot
Draw Their Fire
15 points
Black Squadron Pilot
Draw Their Fire
41 points
Darth Vader
Assault Missiles, Daredevil, Engine Upgrade
29 points
Turr Phennir
Veteran Instincts, Stealth Device

The Black Squadrons with Draw Their Fire bodyguard for Vader and Phennir.  Vader with Boost and Daredevil does bootleg turns on the fly and can almost always get himself into a great position.  Phennir with 9 skill really benefits if they have initiative able to shoot other 9 skill pilots first and then get out of their Arc. 

I was skeptical about a 4 ship Tie build being that they would be outnumbered from the get go.  This squad has a surpising amount of offense and staying power.

#40 Vorpal Sword

Vorpal Sword

O frabjous day!

• Members
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:26 PM

hothie said:

Yes, I know I may be crazy for fielding FW, but with the way the game is headed, I'll give it a shot. I'll run this list a few times, see how it does, tweak, etc. I may go with a cheaper option, but I do kinda like the squad as it is now.

Nah, not crazy at all, particularly if you're not trying to squeeze anything else in. Just thought I'd offer an alternative that's worked nicely for me.

I think Wrath is an interesting pilot, for exactly the reason you mentioned--his raison d'etre is to get close to the badguys, knowing you can soak up their best shot and still hit back. I also like that It subtly changes the stakes on how you spend your actions, particularly for Wedge: if you only get one action, can you afford to Target Lock, or do you Focus instead to preserve the defensive option? Can you afford to spend your Focus on the attack, or do you save it to help mitigate the counterstrike you can't stop?

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS