• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:42 AM

stormwolf27 said:

I love this game. I threw together a couple decks in no time flat (not my best work, but they function)., and am looking forward to tweaking them, especially when the force packs start hitting.

I don't understand what the problem is with distinguishing between the tokens…

Color similarities or not, how can you mistake a grey octagon with a red 1 or 3 (which are larger than the focus tokens, too), for a small circle with a red crosshair? The shapes alone should be distinguishable enough, even without the fact that the design on the focus tokens matches the tactics icon almost perfectly, while the damage provides numbers for easy quick reference.

When I'm consciously thinking about the differences between them, it's obvious. But during play I prefer to have my thoughts on what my opponent is doing, and how I will respond. When there gets to be a pile of tokens that fall in the same region of the visible spectrum, in two varieties that have nothing to do with each other, I instead have to make the same conscious consideration that I do outside of play, and this would not happen for me if the focus tokens occupied a different area of the spectrum. I know this because I have not once mistaken a shield token for a damage token, but have done so several times in the case of focus tokens versus damage tokens. Again, my attention has to be focused (pun not intended) on the tokens in order to reliably add or remove the right kind, and I don't like this.

"To play a wrong note is insignificant. To play without passion is inexcusable."
– Beethoven

#42 ghostdragon

ghostdragon

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:33 AM

I bought the core set yesterday and I've played a couple of games so far and I like the game more than I thought I would. After having some experience of the LOTR LCG I was expecting the game to play more like that but there is a lot of things about the system which I like.

#43 ghostdragon

ghostdragon

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:37 AM

I bought the core set yesterday and I've played a couple of games so far and I like the game more than I thought I would. After having some experience of the LOTR LCG I was expecting the game to play more like that but there is a lot of things about the system which I like.

#44 alpha5099

alpha5099

• Members
  • 502 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:32 AM

Played more yesterday, and although I enjoyed it greatly, I definitely found myself frustrated again by how hard it is to overcome momentum. My friend and I played six games--Jedi v. Sith, Navy v. Rebel, Navy v. Rebel (this was the only game I won), Sith v. Jedi, Rebel v. Sith, and Jedi v. Navy--and ever game fundamentally came down to who got out a hard-hitting unit out within the first turn or two and pulled so far ahead their opponent was effectively locked down.

In particular, I discovered just how obnoxious Protect Character is. The game needs more removal options, events and effects that can help you deal with your opponent's Luke or Emperor, and it's incredibly frustrating to realize that you will never, ever be able to hit their sweeper because they've got Royal Guard or Guardian of Peace out to eat any or most of the targeted damage you might be able to put out.

Some of these issues can no doubt be accounted for with better deckbuilding. As I was introducing my friend to the game, I opted to use the baseline 8-objective decks. Doubling up on the sets with important characters is obviously going to help with the arms race to establish your board position first, and there are certainly sets that wouldn't make the cut. The inability (or at least extreme difficulty) of making a comeback in this game is definitely its most glaring flaw, and adding more removal options and resets to the card pool would hopefully help.

#45 Hans Chung-Otterson

Hans Chung-Otterson

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:01 AM

I dunno, I've played 4 games and every time it's gone down to the wire--whoever wins would've lost in the next turn or two.

#46 cooleo1c

cooleo1c

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:05 AM

Hans Chung-Otterson said:

I dunno, I've played 4 games and every time it's gone down to the wire--whoever wins would've lost in the next turn or two.
x2

#47 yagyu

yagyu

• Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:10 AM

Ive played several games now, i like it but not nearly as much as the Decipher ccg. I dont say this just cuz im an old timer, i do think this game has its unique coolness, but comparison between the two i think the other is just a better game in general. But like i said this is still a fun game, i do think it would have been much better had they stuck with the co-op/solo mechanic. But i understand they wanted pvp circuit so. I am most looking forward to seeing forcepacks and getting to see cards from the EU. We have already had a few small glimpses into EU, such as blessing of the hand, Kuati security team, Despayre, Dathomir and the nightsister even the darkside apprentice. Thats my main reason for supporting the game and gettin my friends to play it instead of just the old decipher ccg. It will give us a chance to go into different elements of the mythology.

Far as the deck building mechanic im still not liking it as much as just single card deck building. I mean all my friends still gotta read everycard in a pod and then it seems a bit harder for them to decide which pods to choose then just finding a single card they like and throwing it into the deck. (They r playing and building off my 2 core sets).

The other thing im most excited about is the mutliplayer rules coming out, though im a bit worried how 3 light players r gonna gang up on 1 ds player. But well see how it works out.

#48 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:23 AM

alpha5099 said:

Played more yesterday, and although I enjoyed it greatly, I definitely found myself frustrated again by how hard it is to overcome momentum. My friend and I played six games--Jedi v. Sith, Navy v. Rebel, Navy v. Rebel (this was the only game I won), Sith v. Jedi, Rebel v. Sith, and Jedi v. Navy--and ever game fundamentally came down to who got out a hard-hitting unit out within the first turn or two and pulled so far ahead their opponent was effectively locked down.

In particular, I discovered just how obnoxious Protect Character is. The game needs more removal options, events and effects that can help you deal with your opponent's Luke or Emperor, and it's incredibly frustrating to realize that you will never, ever be able to hit their sweeper because they've got Royal Guard or Guardian of Peace out to eat any or most of the targeted damage you might be able to put out.

Some of these issues can no doubt be accounted for with better deckbuilding. As I was introducing my friend to the game, I opted to use the baseline 8-objective decks. Doubling up on the sets with important characters is obviously going to help with the arms race to establish your board position first, and there are certainly sets that wouldn't make the cut. The inability (or at least extreme difficulty) of making a comeback in this game is definitely its most glaring flaw, and adding more removal options and resets to the card pool would hopefully help.

Building your own decks will help with this quite a bit.  There are plenty of good removal options available, though each side does it a little differently.  Sith manage removal the old fashioned way - Force Choke and Force Lightning.  Imperial Navy tends to want to just overwhelm the LS with fast damage with a little bit of capturing thrown in if you want.  Scum has the capture mechanic.  The LS factions all have plenty of ways to place focus tokens (works pretty well as removal) plus Luke and Han with their targeted strike goodness.  So far, I've found the game very swingy - getting the early board position certainly helps, but my opponent is rarely out of the game.  Even the big blow-outs I've had can generally be traced back to one edge battle that would have completely changed the game had it gone the other way.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS