So what do you think now?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 D.Knight Sevus

D.Knight Sevus

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:46 PM

Having finally gotten my hands on some of the cards, I'm having a blast. I only have 1 Core so far, so I haven't been able to really get into the deckbuilding yet, but the game itself is incredibly fun to play even with just the starter decks.

#22 iStasis

iStasis

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:54 AM

Do you need 2 core sets I know from friends that netruner was like this but had this conversation. With my local store and most people at the store are not mixing core sets to build thier full decks until new objectives are out.

whats people's view?

#23 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 803 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:22 AM

I wouldn't say that you need two core sets, just as you don't need more than one core set of any of these games. I have two, but that's just because I can. The way the deckbuilding has been designed for this game really makes me believe the traditional practice of "I can have three copies of a card in my deck, therefore I WILL HAVE THREE COPIES" is really dead and buried here. While there is perhaps something to be said for running two Heart of the Empires in your objectives, I really don't think I'll be doubling up on many, if any objectives. Particularly as different objectives often have the same cards in their respective pods. 

But then, I haven't yet had the game for a full week, so I may revise this opinion!

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

#24 FiendishDevil

FiendishDevil

• Members
  • 371 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:38 AM

I like having two core sets. Having two Ultimate Power objective sets is quite nice…

#25 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:00 PM

FiendishDevil said:

I like having two core sets. Having two Ultimate Power objective sets is quite nice…

"Gravitational laws make it impossible for two Death Stars to be located in the same system. Your order cannot be carried out." - IMP-22

"To play a wrong note is insignificant. To play without passion is inexcusable."
– Beethoven

#26 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

• Members
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:09 PM

I've only had three games so far (and I'm dying for more!). I still haven't got the wife in on playing it yet. I have only played with starter decks so far and I love it. I'm planning to keep playing with starter decks until I start to get bored with it, and then I'll build some decks. Part of the reason is that I don't see much point in building customized decks with only one core because I feel like (and this is opinion only) that I need duplicates of some objective sets if I'm going to improve on the starter decks. If I just mix affiliations from one starter, I feel like the deck will be just as random as the starter is, so I don't really gain anything from doing that. But the randomness of the starter decks is part of what gives it a lot of appeal. Each game has felt quite different because of the variety of cards in each deck. In any case, my order got messed up and my two core sets were sent to different places, so it'll be another week before I have both of my cores.

As for gameplay, my biggest fear was the edge battles. They're just so intense that I knew I'd put a lot of emotional investment in each one and I was afraid of that leading to sour games. However, I've found that they're actually quite fun.

One thing I love about the game is that it's Star Wars and the theme (for a fanboy like me) is so entertaining that I've really enjoyed my games even though I've won one and lost two. I really do feel like the game designers found a way to make it cinnematic. It was so thrilling to strike with my A-wing to take out a TIE Fighter and then have the A-wing make a Heroic Sacrifice by crash into an AT-ST and clearing all opposition from the target objective. I lost that game, but only just. As others have said, most of the games have been pretty close.

The cons: Now I'm not trying whine here, I'm just being honest about my impressions. Both of my Interrogation droids had these strange scratches on them. It's like someone already played with them [gasp] without sleeves! And I really wish the center column in the box was wide enough to fit sleeved cards. I'm not sure if it's just mine, but if I force my cards to sit in that area straight, it bends the edges of my sleeves, so instead my decks are at angles inside the box.

Quite trivial things to be disappointed with, eh? My overall impressions for this game are very positive.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#27 Magni

Magni

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:27 AM

Played quite a bit now, with custom decks going on 20+ games.  I no longer feel as though the DS is op - its just seems daunting as a rebel to see the deathstar at 6-7 and have not taken out an objective it leads to the scoop impulse.

As for the cinema aspect to the game i have really fallen in love with the edge battle, the joy of baiting out some ones vader or destroyer with a twist of fate adds a replayability to the SWCG's that i have not enjoyed before in games like magic were you can almost math out your victory a few turns in advanced.  Sometimes i see my plans fall apart infront of my eyes as 1 failed edge battle leads to a game playing catch up or gives way to an explove rebel assult on my objectives as i have opened a unforseen hole in lines thinking i would destroy targets that i could not due to the lost edge battle.

Over all, its the most fun i have had with a CG in awhile, i did not play netrunner i heard its fantastic but i did alot of shadowrun in my youth and i have had my fill with hacking and corp wars. (plus thats gunna be america in like 20 years so why play the game now when i can just live it then ;-) )

Magni

+++ Engagement: Resolve Strikes +++

magni strikes with greedo for 2 unit damage to Han Solo and 1 Blast Damage.

#28 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,081 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:56 AM

Budgernaut said:

The cons: Now I'm not trying whine here, I'm just being honest about my impressions. Both of my Interrogation droids had these strange scratches on them. It's like someone already played with them [gasp] without sleeves! And I really wish the center column in the box was wide enough to fit sleeved cards. I'm not sure if it's just mine, but if I force my cards to sit in that area straight, it bends the edges of my sleeves, so instead my decks are at angles inside the box.

I recommend not using the box for storage. It really is more a showpiece than meant to be anything practical.

#29 GrandMoffMatt

GrandMoffMatt

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:41 AM

I've played two games.  Bother were with the Imperial Fleet.  My opponent used the Rebellion and the Jedi, and both times were just a no contest for the Imperials.  I chalk it up to first time players playing the game.  I do like that the game was incredibly easy to learn.  I own Netrunner…and that took a lot of work with my friend and I to get going correctly.  I have high hopes for this game, as I love Star Wars.  So I plan to get more games in and see where my opinion is then.

#30 jeeps

jeeps

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:48 AM

I played another game last night with the Core set and found that as the LS, I was looking at  Deathstar dial at 7 and destroyed two objectives and got the third on my following turn.  This game can putter along then wrap up rather quickly.  To me, that's exciting!

Peter Jacobson

Minnesota, USA

#31 circledude

circledude

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:19 PM

I have really liked the game so far. I played 3 games so far. One as Imperial Navy and two as Jedi. I really like that the factions play significantly different. Jedi really are about controlling the boad where as Imperial navy is just straight up blow things up. (there may be more finesse to it but that is my initial impresssion). I really like the fact that this game seems to play pretty quick. I do not think any of my games have take any more than 45 minutes which is nice especially if you are trying to play both sides. I am certainly looking forward to my next core set and the Hoth cycle.

#32 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 803 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:34 PM

I played my second game last night, and it was a completely different play experience than my first - the obvious thing now was that in my first game the DS dial was being advanced every balance phase, not only on the DS turn, so that definitely explains why it only took about 10 minutes to play! 

Using the deck lists advertised here and here, and playing as the DS this time, it was really lots of fun, particularly the edge battles, with the fate cards messing things up and whatnot. The fact that the edge-enabled icons seemed to be dominating made me really want to win the battle, sometimes throwing people like Vader into the stack to ensure a victory. In the end, it was a very close game, with the dial being I think two turns off giving me a victory when my third objective was destroyed, so I lost again but still enjoyed it much! 

It's nice to see so many people enjoying the game on here though, as I feel like I read through two or three months' worth of folks disparaging the game based on the gencon previews. I'm really pleased with the way it's turned out, and am rabidly looking forward to the expansions to get more cards! I think the only sore point I have is that it's a 2-player game, and seems impossible to solo, so I can't play as many games as I want to, as I'm having to arrange for people to come over etc. Damn people having real lives of their own!!

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

#33 alpha5099

alpha5099

• Members
  • 502 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:31 PM

Finally got to play my first games today. My core sets arrived just before I had to travel for the holidays, and I brought my cards with me hoping to find some people to play with. Can't wait to get home and play more with those of my regular gaming group who have picked up Star Wars.

I played four games today, alternating between the sides. My first game was Jedi v. Scum; second was Navy v. Smugglers (though it was largely Rebel Alliance cards); third was Rebel v. Navy (my opponent started with the Sith affiliation card, but we realized he'd included The Ultimate Power in his objective deck so he swapped out his affiliation during the first turn); and the final game was Scum v. Jedi. Light Side won the first three games, while our final game was the only time the forces of tyranny finally got to triumph.

The least fun game was the second one, where I was just torn apart by my opponent's Smuggler/Rebel deck. He got out a Battlefield Engineer and Heavy Blaster Emplacement out right away, and good god did that combo ruin my game. With absolutely no extra resources (or least any non-character resources, I did have a very short-lived Tarkin and Duty Officer) and crap draw, I could only get one or two units out a turn, none of which were long for this world. I think by the end, my opponent had at least eight units out. The other games were far closer, which were much more enjoyable. I think the best game was our third, the Rebel v. Navy game. I pulled ahead near the end, destroying two objectives to win the game, but up until then things remained quite neck and neck.

As I think others have noted, momentum is certainly an issue right now. I'm not sure what I could have done to stop my opponent's inexorable bulldozing of my forces. Coming from AGOT, I'm used to resets being a big part of the environment; being able to clear the board (and knowing how to bounce back from a cleared board) is a huge part of AGOT. Perhaps Star Wars doesn't need anything quite as extreme as Valar Morghulis (which kills every character), but I do think that every faction needs to have access to a reset. Currently I think Rebel and Sith are the only ones, with A New Hope and There Is No Escape (if there're other resets I've overlooked, let me know; I'm still learning all the cards). Affiliation-specific resets might be nice and thematic, though it could also be helpful to have a Neutral pod for each side with a reset.

One thing I will definitely need to adjust to is some of this game's terminology. For example, there were several points where I realized I had misinterpreted a card because I was thinking in terms of AGOT jargon. For example, things that targeted Character units, where I found myself thinking of all units as Characters; sadly Boba Fett is not able to capture Redemption. I also got tripped up a bit by enhancements, which cover the card-archetypes of AGOT's location and attachment cards. For whatever reason, I mainly think of them in terms of attachments, overlooking that the location-like enhancements are also enhancements; during a game, I suddenly realized In You Must Go would affect Dagobah Training Grounds, for instance.

The most egregious problem: the name for Blast Damage, and the icon for Unit Damage being a blaster. I couldn't count how many times during our games that my opponent and I fumbled over those two, confusing each other and ourselves.

#34 FiendishDevil

FiendishDevil

• Members
  • 371 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:58 PM

Played a bunch of games today for the first time using constructed decks.

Love the game, there is far more to it than I thought there was. Some definite times where there was brain drain for optimizing moves. With just a core set and small pool of cards, there is alot of room for this to LCG to get as complicated -- maybe even more so -- as AGoT.

Some gripes I have

• Realistically only going to play 5 of your objectives making that first 4 extremely important and there's no mulligan!
  • Too fiddly with all the chits (mainly bothered by focus tokens)
  • Focus chits and damage chits are the same color (red) and I get confused sometimes knowing what I have ready or not

Things I noticed

• Light side card targeting effects are more generic than Dark side. Target UNIT for Light side and target VEHICLE / CHARACTER / DROID for Dark side. Makes Light side much more versatile.
  • Factions seem equally balanced currently as each deck type has a counter (although tactic icons are universally strong). I thought my Imperial deck would crush and it definitely crushed Rebels and Jedi, but it fell short versus Spies/Smugglers (yes, I faced a constructed Spies/Smuggler/Rebel deck and it was really strong). I still need to play through all the factions to get a better feel for their match ups…

Playing some more in a few days so I'll have some more thoughts later…

#35 starhawk77

starhawk77

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:53 PM

FiendishDevil said:

Some gripes I have

• Realistically only going to play 5 of your objectives making that first 4 extremely important and there's no mulligan!
  • Too fiddly with all the chits (mainly bothered by focus tokens)
  • Focus chits and damage chits are the same color (red) and I get confused sometimes knowing what I have ready or not

I don't mind the abundance of tokens, but I agree that the damage should have been more visibly distinct from the focus. Blue for focus, red for damage, white for shield (or something like that). I love the mechanic connected to the focus tokens, but I do occassionally mistake them for damage chits.

#36 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:19 AM

Ever since fokus tokens were first explained I saw them as yellow for some reason. Blue is a calming color, which echoes the protection shields provide. Red is universally the color of damage tokens in any game.

"To play a wrong note is insignificant. To play without passion is inexcusable."
– Beethoven

#37 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,316 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:32 AM

You're not alone with yellow for focus. The demo they ran at gencon used yellow tokens for focus, red for damage, and blue for shield. I'd imagine that the final product for focus tokens was to help link with the tactics icon.

#38 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:27 AM

dbmeboy said:

You're not alone with yellow for focus. The demo they ran at gencon used yellow tokens for focus, red for damage, and blue for shield. I'd imagine that the final product for focus tokens was to help link with the tactics icon.

True, but you'd think they could preserve the same (+) shape but with yellow instead of red. :P

– Beethoven

#39 AUCodeMonkey

AUCodeMonkey

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:33 PM

I'd just like to point out that I'm colorblind (well, red-green color-deficient) and I've only once confused the Focus and Damage tokens. Don't know what's the matter with all you "full visible spectrum" people reir

#40 stormwolf27

stormwolf27

• Members
  • 623 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:26 PM

I love this game. I threw together a couple decks in no time flat (not my best work, but they function)., and am looking forward to tweaking them, especially when the force packs start hitting.

I don't understand what the problem is with distinguishing between the tokens…

Color similarities or not, how can you mistake a grey octagon with a red 1 or 3 (which are larger than the focus tokens, too), for a small circle with a red crosshair? The shapes alone should be distinguishable enough, even without the fact that the design on the focus tokens matches the tactics icon almost perfectly, while the damage provides numbers for easy quick reference.

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men." - Willy Wonka

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS