Becoming a Psyker

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 BovineLord

BovineLord

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:59 PM

I figure there is almost certainly a forum post about this already, but I can't find it in a reasonable amount of time, so I'll ask here.

How does a character become a psyker? I have a Champion who I intend to have him eventually become a Chaos Lord and lead his own Black Crusade, and I want him to become a psyker somewhere along the way, or a sorceror, or something. Basically just want to gain the Psyker trait and a few powers and Psy Rating, but the only thing I've found that actually allows you to gain the Psyker trait is gaining a Mark of Tzeentch, but I want this character to remain unaligned. I haven't looked at the Gifts of the Gods section much yet, so I don't know whether or not I can get it that way. It also doesn't look like you can buy Psykerhood as a talent or anything.

Can anyone offer something on this? I'm positive that in a game like this there are multiple ways to become a psyker or sorceror, but for the life of me, I can't find one in the core rulebook from what I've seen so far. Even telling me I'm looking in the wrong places would help.

#2 Elgrun

Elgrun

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:40 PM

Well, to be honest being a Psyker is mostly a Tzeentchy thing my friend. That's why his mark is the only one that allows people to become Psykers. That's not to say you can't work something out with your GM.
It was either in the Radical's Handbook or Disciples of the Dark Gods that gave an Advanced Career Path or some sort of equivalent that let someone who'd studied arcane lore for years and years become a psyker through his sheer knowledge in the subject. Also in Dark Heresy one of the mutations was Wyrling where the character gained the Psyker Trait and a Psy rating of 1. So again, while not in the RAW there's always a way if you've got a flexible enough GM and a good explanation behind you.

#3 Boss Gitsmasha

Boss Gitsmasha

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:55 AM

In crunch terms, if you're not a psyker at character creation then you'll be sinking lots of XP into something that offers questionable utility at best. In fluff terms, a TRUE champion of Chaos NEEDS no trickery or witchcraft! All you need is your strength and skill at arms! Khorne frowns upon the psyker!

"Oomans are pink an' soft, not tough an' green like da Boyz. Dey'z all da same size too, so dey'z always arguin' about who's in charge, 'cos dere's no way o' tellin' c'ept fer badges an' ooniforms an' fings. When one o' dem wants ta lord it over da uvvers, 'e says 'I'm very speshul so'z you gotta worship me', or 'I know summink wot you lot don't know, so yer better lissen good'. Da funny fing is, 'arf of 'em believe it an' da uvver 'arf don't, so 'e has ta hit 'em all anyway or run fer it. Wot a lot o' mukkin' about if yer asks me. An' while dey'z all arguin' wiv each uvver over who's da boss, da Orks can clobber da lot."

#4 Cifer

Cifer

• Members
  • 2,792 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 03:18 AM

Essentially, the "Psyker? Yes/No" question is one of the traits that differentiate the archetypes. You can either get the Champion's traits of lending your CPs to others for Infamy Point purposes or the psyker trait of the Sorceror. The only really character-changing event in BC is obtaining a deity's mark and the only deity that is that closely associated with Psykers is Tzeentch.

#5 Terraneaux

Terraneaux

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:35 AM

Technically, if you get Warpsmith you can jump ship and still be a psyker later.  You could be Slaanesh or Nurgle or whatever at that point.

#6 Apache

Apache

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:14 AM

The best thing to do is discuss the character concept to your GM and come up with a solution that way. Your GM has the power to change every rule in the game if they so wish, so they are usually a good place to start. By canon, no there's no way. But, Tzeentch is usually up for a laugh and you owing him a favour to give you Psyker and a Psy Rating shouldn't be too bad. I'd say that the GM should add a restriction that Khorne will never let you align with him, but other than that, treat it as Elite Advances, or even a Story Arc with a unique reward. Either that or start worshipping Malal. ;P

#7 Brother Orpheo

Brother Orpheo

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:47 PM

At the root of the question is the Psyker Trait. If there is any way of a PC acquiring the Psyker Trait (other than going through the GM) then it's possible. Certain Minions may be given the Psyker Trait, but I'm not familiar with any method of gaining the Psyker Trait other than through CharGen or (much) later receiving the Mark of Tzeentch.

=][=

#8 Zenoth16

Zenoth16

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:34 AM

AFB ATM but I could have sworn that in Gifts of the Gods there want one that improved your psy rating by one and gave the pysker trait if you didnt have it...

#9 Brother Orpheo

Brother Orpheo

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:01 PM

AFB ATM but I could have sworn that in Gifts of the Gods there want one that improved your psy rating by one and gave the pysker trait if you didnt have it...

That would be the Mark of Tzeentch.

=][=

#10 Routa-maa

Routa-maa

• Members
  • 560 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 01:27 AM

Warpsmith also gives you Psyker trait, if you don't have it yet, and Psy Rating (+2).
Only thing with these is that they are Rewards of the Dark Gods so you have to be Devoted to Tzeench to be able to roll them.
Muutokselle annamme Elämän, Elämälle annamme Muutoksen.

#11 BrianDavion

BrianDavion

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:09 PM

another thing, you don't need to be a psyker to conduct many many rituals. and there are a number of rituals out there. tome of excess has some remarkably easy to use sourcerery rites that are basicly spells. one could use those as a basis.

#12 Amroth

Amroth

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:19 AM

Actually that's a very good idea from Brian, you could even come up with a ritual to grant the Psyker trait. It could be the basis of a whole campaign discovering what components are needed for the ritual as well as the correct chants required and then tracking them down.

Once you have found all that you need you can conduct the ritual and (with a hefty xp purchase set by the GM - perhaps equivalent of a tier 3 talent) empower yourself to enact the will of the Dark Gods.

#13 Apache

Apache

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:13 AM

Amroth; Tier 3 Opposed Alignment Talent I'd say. And I still doubt it would work with Khornates.

#14 Amroth

Amroth

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:09 AM

Oh yeah definitely couldn't work if you are Khornate Apache. Even if you got the ability you wouldn't be able to use it until you went back to unaligned.

#15 ShadowRay

ShadowRay

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:59 AM

And how about using Idolitrex Magos as template for sorcery? You'd have to aquire enough exp to get blasphemous incantation, psy rating 1 and quite a bit of forbidden knowledge (warp), also some forbidden books, then lock yourself in the room ith the altar, perform some sacrefices, and boom - psyker with max psy rating of corruption bonus.

Of course it shouldn't be so easy as described, some additional elements should be needed to overcome.

#16 Athanatosz

Athanatosz

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:11 PM

I bet  when heretics reach Apotheosis and become a demon prince it can gain physcic abilities but it also to late for a player character... So beside aligning whit Tzeenech and hoping for good dices why not deal with a daemon? Surely those nice guys could give you some magic tricks if you really want and can arrange a deal......or being possessed also sound could psyker-ish.. with an arcane motivation it is surely be great to do...

But a true leader do not need such ways to gain power for a black crusade you need armies which can contain hordes of  psykers ... also to lead them you can have a superior minion like a secondary psyker character who can also gain xp thanks to Tome of Excess

i bet thats a pretty good option

(Superior Minion of Chaos
Tier: 3
Prerequisite: Fellowship 55, Infamy 60
Alignment: Unaligned)

"I am determined to prove a villain

And hate the idle pleasures of these days."

KING RICHARD III

#17 BrotharTearer

BrotharTearer

• Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:57 PM

If you have enough XP to spend you don't need to be lucky. With all the forbidden lore Tzeentch has to offer you can align and get the psyker trait with 3000 XP or so. That's the most surefire way of getting it without picking a specific archetype.

#18 Magnus Grendel

Magnus Grendel

• Members
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:28 AM

Alternatively, sorcery rather than psychic power isn't a bad way to do it.

Sorcery, after all, is a Daemon doing what you tell it. If that daemon is continously to hand and suitably browbeaten into obedience? Effectively you're now a psyker.

You could sort of create a daemon minion with the psyker trait, assorted powers and the Host trait (I think it's Tome of Excess). The Host? You.

Not sure if it works, but if it does, it Essentially creates a Malus Darkblade-a-like.

#19 BrotharTearer

BrotharTearer

• Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:13 PM

The minion trait you're thinking of is "Parasite", and no, that's not applicable to daemons for creating daemonhosts. It's parasitic organism that's refered.

Closest you'd get to having psychic powers with the minion is to get a psyker with a Greater Minion talent.

#20 Drachdhar

Drachdhar

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 11:35 AM

Lots to read, dont feel like it.

Here's what I did. New Gift called Wyrd, gives the Psyker(Unbound), if the character is not already a psyker, trait and boosts Psy Rating by 1. Just substitute for another rolled "positive" Gift.

And since this is basically a mutation that existed in every other 40k RPG before Black Crusade I really fail to see the issue of it being overpowered or anything. There should be a way for non-Tzeentchians to get all magicky as well.

• Tenebrae likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS