Jump to content



Photo

Wave 3 ships


  • Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#21 CaptainRook

CaptainRook

    Member

  • Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:42 AM

Alamoth said:

What's most exciting as has been pointed out, is where does FFG go after Wave 3? What does Wave 4 have in store for the game? Does FFG take the game to the surface battles with walkers and speeders? Do they increase the scale of the game with Capital-Class ships and move from the 3'x3' table to the 4'x6' table? Maybe they go back to Episodes 1-3 and bring in the Nubian and Trade Federation ships. Maybe Clone Wars? Maybe Expanded Universe? The possibilities seem pretty hopeful.

No Capital ships, No Walkers.  This is a tactical dogfighting game.  If terrestrial warfare is represented, and I hope some day it is, I'd prefer it be a separate game enirely.  


RookActual @ http://www.afewmaneuvers.com
-Rogue 9: rookactual@afewmaneuvers.com.

#22 IG-58

IG-58

    Member

  • Members
  • 346 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:39 AM

Yah, I totally agree that the most intriguing question of all is "what's next?" I myself would like to see some EU for the current game before anything else. Whether they do the Ghtroc or not, I'd like to see at a minimum a YT-2400, a Z-95 Headhunter, a TIE Defender and an E-Wing. A Skipray blastboat would be awesome too.  And, then there's the option of "destructable terrain."

I'd LOVE a ground-war game. If FFG did one though, it's pretty much a given that it'd be a new game, and have nothing to do with X-Wing.

I'm sure the prequels/Clone Wars will come eventually, but I agree it's likely to be initiated with a whole new Starter, and I'd like to see current EU first.



#23 hothie

hothie

    Member

  • Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:47 AM

So, here's a thought:

we know there have been tons of different entities that have created ships in this universe, whether they be books, video games, comics, etc. Who's to say that FFG can't create their own ships for this game? I guess I haven't looked at their license agreement, and it would likely have to go through Leland Chee or somebody, but would that be a possibility?

I mean, say they exhaust all possible ships that have been previously created for the Rebels and the Empire (without going down the Fringe/Pirate road), why can't they make a M-wing in the shape of a Mickey Mouse head or something? (…quickly checks wookieepediea to make sure it doesn't already exist…well, there is the M-class starfighter, which would look kinda cool, but it's not officially an "M-wing." Maybe call it the Mouse-wing or something.) They could make up pilots and abilities, maybe talk to LucasArts about making a new 3D X-wing game with those pilots. The possibilities are endless…

Let's think outside the box here people! :P (while we're thinking about what will be inside the box…)



#24 CaptainRook

CaptainRook

    Member

  • Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:09 AM

We're discussing Waves 3 and beyond, when Wave 2 has been delayed.  It sorta makes you wonder how far along the design process for Wave 3 is.  I'd assume they've started, but I could be wrong.  Wouldn't it be hilarious if they've been waiting to announce Wave 3 after Wave 2 was out of the distributor's doors and now it's just sitting there waiting, instead.


RookActual @ http://www.afewmaneuvers.com
-Rogue 9: rookactual@afewmaneuvers.com.

#25 CDAT

CDAT

    Member

  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:39 AM

I keep seeing alot of talk about the EU (Expanded universe?).  I think there are a fair amount of players like myself, that only really know the movies so if you are going off of things from the books and other stuff out there it may not sell as well as what is know. Just my 2 cents, it is worth what you paid for it.



#26 Mako13

Mako13

    Member

  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:42 AM

Tie Defender - a "must have" for Imperial players, and gives them a decent, survivable space superiority fighter

Z-95 Headhunter - a decent, low cost fighter for the Rebels

Lambda Shuttle

Tie Bomber

 



#27 Surtur

Surtur

    Member

  • Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:20 AM

Tie Bomber and B-Wing for sure. From there, I think they will begin to delve into EU. I believe that Imperials will get an ion cannon somehow, so Gunboat or Tie Defender. Rebels may get their spammy/swarmy ship with a Z-95. Thems be my thoughts.



#28 CaptainRook

CaptainRook

    Member

  • Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:54 AM

CDAT said:

I keep seeing alot of talk about the EU (Expanded universe?).  I think there are a fair amount of players like myself, that only really know the movies so if you are going off of things from the books and other stuff out there it may not sell as well as what is know. Just my 2 cents, it is worth what you paid for it.

I would venture to guess the vast majority of players are familiar with one aspect of the EU or another, and most that post here seem to be familiar.  The EU stretches throughout video games, novels, comic books and RPGs, etc…but a lot of these ships are common throughout.  Even if you're not familiar, the majority of ships that I would assume FFG would produce will still have that distinct 'Star Wars' style to them.  You've already got pilots in your deck that were never mentioned in the films, but exist in the other canon.  There are many of us who actually identify ourselves as more fans of the EU than of the films.  EU products compose a wide swatch of of the franchise income,  Howard Roffman is greatly responsible for the EU generation, as Star Wars licensing guru, and as of the Disney purchase he has returned to the helm…so while the next trilogy may ignore the EU, the EU will persist.  


RookActual @ http://www.afewmaneuvers.com
-Rogue 9: rookactual@afewmaneuvers.com.

#29 Vorpal Sword

Vorpal Sword

    Member

  • Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:21 AM

Mako13 said:

Tie Defender - a "must have" for Imperial players, and gives them a decent, survivable space superiority fighter

Z-95 Headhunter - a decent, low cost fighter for the Rebels

Lambda Shuttle

Tie Bomber

 

Okay, I'll bite. Why is the TIE/D a must-have? The Empire will already have the Advanced and Interceptor, which does a pretty good job of coering the bases as far as Rebel-equivalent ships are concerned.

If I were betting, my money would be on TIE Bomber, B-wing, and Lambda shuttle, with pilots from both factions for the shuttle. That rounds out the Original Trilogy canon, and then they'll start looking toward the EU with Wave 4.

(And I hope they never start making Yuuzhan Vong ships, because that's a dealbreaker for me… enfadado)



#30 IG-58

IG-58

    Member

  • Members
  • 346 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:30 AM

You also have to think that X-Wing is a bit more of a "niche" game. These minis are NOT "plastic crack;" they're flippin' expensive, particularly Off the Shelf ($40 for three playing pieces to start). So while there will be exceptions, it's not really aimed at the tween crowd. The collectors of this game are probably a lot more likely to be major Star Wars fans - with a fair amount of disposable income. That group - ours - is much more likely to be familiar with the Expanded Universe, I think.

As a side note, while I still expect it, the aforementioned argument is also the biggest supporting argument against a Clone Wars version! That era/series is generally more popular with a younger set. Just to play Devil's Advocate. ;D



#31 IG-58

IG-58

    Member

  • Members
  • 346 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:36 AM

Vorpal Sword said:

Mako13 said:

 

Tie Defender - a "must have" for Imperial players, and gives them a decent, survivable space superiority fighter

Z-95 Headhunter - a decent, low cost fighter for the Rebels

Lambda Shuttle

Tie Bomber

 

 

Okay, I'll bite. Why is the TIE/D a must-have? The Empire will already have the Advanced and Interceptor, which does a pretty good job of coering the bases as far as Rebel-equivalent ships are concerned.

 

If I were betting, my money would be on TIE Bomber, B-wing, and Lambda shuttle, with pilots from both factions for the shuttle. That rounds out the Original Trilogy canon, and then they'll start looking toward the EU with Wave 4.

(And I hope they never start making Yuuzhan Vong ships, because that's a dealbreaker for me… enfadado)

You're absolutely right. But, that brings us back to… what's ship #4? I suppose it COULD be a three-figure wave, but that would be a deviation from current policy, so most of us figure Wave 3 will still have four ships.

I'm with you on the God-accursed Yuuzhan Vong, though. That option is scary since it is an extension of the OT, with the original characters. I'd hate to not buy a wave because it had that crap in it - but I am not investing in no Coralskippers!



#32 CaptainRook

CaptainRook

    Member

  • Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:17 AM

IG-58 said:

You also have to think that X-Wing is a bit more of a "niche" game. These minis are NOT "plastic crack;" they're flippin' expensive, particularly Off the Shelf ($40 for three playing pieces to start). So while there will be exceptions, it's not really aimed at the tween crowd. The collectors of this game are probably a lot more likely to be major Star Wars fans - with a fair amount of disposable income. That group - ours - is much more likely to be familiar with the Expanded Universe, I think.

As a side note, while I still expect it, the aforementioned argument is also the biggest supporting argument against a Clone Wars version! That era/series is generally more popular with a younger set. Just to play Devil's Advocate. ;D

This is why I mentioned the 'selling' factor, earlier.  Star Wars has no shortage of die hard fans, and a major part of that is the EU.  The reason the EU exists is because it sells, simple as that, and there are plenty of iconic examples from it no differently than the films.  If you don't care about the EU, or know much about it, I sincerely doubt this game is going to be very appealing after Wave 3 unless you're willing to explore that facet.  


RookActual @ http://www.afewmaneuvers.com
-Rogue 9: rookactual@afewmaneuvers.com.

#33 magadizer

magadizer

    Member

  • Members
  • 725 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:23 AM

If you saw his thread with proposed stats for the TIE defender, you would understand why he thinks it's a "Must Have." If you have a single ship that could take down any Rebel list by itself, it has to be a must include.

I am biased against this ship though. I think it looks a little gary stu-pid. But what do I know? I'm an old school fan of the originals who likes both the EU and even the prequels, even though I understand their very huge flaws.


Be seeing you.

#34 CaptainRook

CaptainRook

    Member

  • Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:34 AM

magadizer said:

If you saw his thread with proposed stats for the TIE defender, you would understand why he thinks it's a "Must Have." If you have a single ship that could take down any Rebel list by itself, it has to be a must include.

I am biased against this ship though. I think it looks a little gary stu-pid. But what do I know? I'm an old school fan of the originals who likes both the EU and even the prequels, even though I understand their very huge flaws.

Menu>Select Difficulty>Easy 

I used to administrate for the SW Freeform RPG back in the day, and it seemed like every new player would include "Ace TIE Defender Pilot" if they were playing Imperial.  I don't have anything against them, and for the sake of filling out the game, I would certainly love to see them.  What I don't want is a ship as powerful as that one can be.  I'm amazed they didn't cram a Turbolaser Cannon into it's stats somehow.


RookActual @ http://www.afewmaneuvers.com
-Rogue 9: rookactual@afewmaneuvers.com.

#35 Surtur

Surtur

    Member

  • Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:44 AM

I'd like to see a Tie Avenger model with stats and all, but that's just me. >.> It would basically be a Tie Advanced with another point of attack, but I still wants it.



#36 Vorpal Sword

Vorpal Sword

    Member

  • Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:07 PM

IG-58 said:

Vorpal Sword said:

Okay, I'll bite. Why is the TIE/D a must-have? The Empire will already have the Advanced and Interceptor, which does a pretty good job of coering the bases as far as Rebel-equivalent ships are concerned.

 

If I were betting, my money would be on TIE Bomber, B-wing, and Lambda shuttle, with pilots from both factions for the shuttle. That rounds out the Original Trilogy canon, and then they'll start looking toward the EU with Wave 4.

(And I hope they never start making Yuuzhan Vong ships, because that's a dealbreaker for me… enfadado)

 

 

You're absolutely right. But, that brings us back to… what's ship #4? I suppose it COULD be a three-figure wave, but that would be a deviation from current policy, so most of us figure Wave 3 will still have four ships.

I'm with you on the God-accursed Yuuzhan Vong, though. That option is scary since it is an extension of the OT, with the original characters. I'd hate to not buy a wave because it had that crap in it - but I am not investing in no Coralskippers!

My guess is three ships, in four blister packs--the fighters plus one Rebel Lambda and one Imperial Lambda. Deviation from current policy makes more sense to me than breaking out of the OT canon for one ship out of twelve.

@ magadizer: I was in mako13's thread, too. I didn't see him explain the preference there, so I got curious over here.

I'm a fan of some parts of the prequels, and many parts of the EU. I draw the line, though, at playing with Gungans or anything from any point in the timeline after someone at LFL decided to just dynamite the universe by introducing Force-immune Klingon masochists as villains.

Not that I'm bitter.



#37 Mako13

Mako13

    Member

  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:38 PM

Give it a rest Magadizer.

I didn't make up the stats for the Tie Defender in Star Wars lore.

I merely tried to provide some proposed stats for X-Wing, based upon current fighters in the game, by doing a bit of interpolation of the Tie Defender's stats in relation to those in print, online.  It is a far superior, spacefighter, compared to other, older models in the Star Wars universe, like the X-Wing, Y-Wing, Tie Interceptor, and even the Advanced Tie Fighter.

 

 

 



#38 Surtur

Surtur

    Member

  • Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:33 PM

Mako13 said:

Give it a rest Magadizer.

I didn't make up the stats for the Tie Defender in Star Wars lore.

I merely tried to provide some proposed stats for X-Wing, based upon current fighters in the game, by doing a bit of interpolation of the Tie Defender's stats in relation to those in print, online.  It is a far superior, spacefighter, compared to other, older models in the Star Wars universe, like the X-Wing, Y-Wing, Tie Interceptor, and even the Advanced Tie Fighter.

 

To be fair, yours was not the first nor would I anticipate it to be the last one that tries to create fan stats for starships that are out of line with the game as is.



#39 meekor

meekor

    Member

  • Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:36 AM

apestaWould be unique to see Tie Defender ,Tie Bomber…A-Bomber,Y-T variant…..and the Lambda shuttle to be used as a variant,captured Rebel or Imperial escort ship..This would really send the Gamers over the edge …Never give up,Never surrender


Never give up... Never surrender...

#40 Brother Arcturis

Brother Arcturis

    Member

  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:51 AM

The B-Wing and the Tie Bomber are the next logical step for the Wave 3 release, but who says that Wave 3 has to be a 4 model release? Fantasy Flight could do a release similar to the initial release and to a Box and 2 Units, the box could be a senario set complete with reversable game board, one side is a star field, the other side could be the Death Star trench run. They could include rules for turbo laser emplacements and ion cannon emplacements.

I have a feeling that after wave 3 will be a new set for the X-Wing game and have a whole new starter box, focusing on Episodes 1-3. Later releases will be more Clone War era ships. And then a third set after that set in the Old Republic, releasing Sith War era fighter craft, and possibly having a large ship release wave featuring the ships from Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Though they could suprise me and go the route of doing the entire expanded universe post Return of the Jedi… Though I am not sure of their license deal with Lucas Studios / Disney, so we will see what theyre going to do.

Again, just ideas and speculation. Hope we hear some news soon.






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS